Special Ops Paintball: 106 mpg 'air car' creates buzz, questions - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

106 mpg 'air car' creates buzz, questions Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   slayerjake 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

I'll stick to my truck. My dad being an EMT, and learning to drive with dad beside me I learned the simple things in life like "trains always beat vehicles" "semi's always beat cars" etc. etc. Getting in that thing is like signing your life away.

#17 User is offline   Bobbjoe 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bobbjoe

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

To the people that are freaking out about how unsafe this thing is: Is a motorcycle any safer? people drive those and don't seem to "sign their life away". Granted, there are some pretty horrific crashes on motorcycles, but isn't that true with pretty much every car?

I Choose not to Conform to the Stereotypical Conformities that Stereotypical Conformative Society Conforms to.
What now?

#18 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

True... But a motorcycle has a welded frame, not glued.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#19 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:18 PM

View PostPuzuma, on Aug 11 2008, 05:13 PM, said:

True... But a motorcycle has a welded frame, not glued.

and I don't drive one of those, either.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#20 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

And bikers know that they're unsafe, and they weigh that against the good parts of riding.

#21 User is offline   snipin'since88 

• TEUFELHUNDEN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipinsince88

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:03 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Aug 10 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

YEAH BABY......We need to kick this oil habit like bad news. I'm all for the air car. Or any car that makes us less polluting/less dependant on oil. Not just FOREIGN OIL, any of it.

But, my money is on Tesla Corp's roadster. 0-60 in 4 seconds, 250 mile range, 120MPH top speed. ALL ELECTRIC.

so what youre saying is that you want to stop using oil all together or just for fuels? This is a list of some of the products made from oil. Nearly everything in our lives is made from oil, made by machinery and systems dependent on oil, and transported by oil as either gas or diesel fuel.

Ammonia, Anesthetics, Antihistamines, Artificial limbs, Artificial Turf, Antiseptics, Aspirin, Auto Parts, Awnings, Balloons, Ballpoint pens, Bandages, Beach Umbrellas, Boats, Cameras, Candles, Car Battery Cases, Carpets, Caulking, Combs, Cortisones, Cosmetics, Crayons, Credit Cards, Curtains, Deodorants, Detergents, Dice, Disposable Diapers, Dolls, Dyes, Eye Glasses, Electrical Wiring Insulation, Faucet Washers, Fishing Rods, Fishing Line, Fishing Lures, Food Preservatives, Food Packaging, Garden Hose, Glue, Hair Coloring, Hair Curlers, Hand Lotion, Hearing Aids, Heart Valves, Ink, Insect Repellant, Insecticides, Linoleum, Lip Stick, Milk Jugs, Nail Polish, Oil Filters, Panty Hose, Perfume, Petroleum Jelly, Rubber Cement, Rubbing Alcohol, Shampoo, Shaving Cream, Shoes, Toothpaste, Trash Bags, Upholstery, Vitamin Capsules, Water Pipes, Yarn

This post has been edited by snipin'since88: 11 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

#22 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

Good point about it being no safer than a motorcycle. Haven't even thought of that. I could see this vehicle or even the smart car, when in a accident, folding up on you and pinning you inside.

I wish they would avoid these super compact cars. They are just too small. At least make them a mid size. Granted, it wouldn't as efficient but then at the very minimum it would be safer.

Also, I don't really see these vehicles as ever paying for themselves. I spent about $2,000 a year on gas. The vehicle I drive is eh, so so on gas. About 14 mpg, 26 mpg. But say if I were to purchase a smart car, (they are like 11,000) I believe, it'd be nearly 6 years to coming close on even beginning to save me any money. Sure if you think about the long run, maybe. But since I have a motorcycle on order, I'll just stick to that and my car.

-Oct

#23 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

View PostOctavious, on Aug 12 2008, 08:08 AM, said:

Good point about it being no safer than a motorcycle. Haven't even thought of that. I could see this vehicle or even the smart car, when in a accident, folding up on you and pinning you inside.

I wish they would avoid these super compact cars. They are just too small. At least make them a mid size. Granted, it wouldn't as efficient but then at the very minimum it would be safer.

Also, I don't really see these vehicles as ever paying for themselves. I spent about $2,000 a year on gas. The vehicle I drive is eh, so so on gas. About 14 mpg, 26 mpg. But say if I were to purchase a smart car, (they are like 11,000) I believe, it'd be nearly 6 years to coming close on even beginning to save me any money. Sure if you think about the long run, maybe. But since I have a motorcycle on order, I'll just stick to that and my car.

-Oct

I don't really see how being pinned inside is better than being thrown from your motorcycle.

#24 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

Air Bag suits and helmets, you may go flying but you'll land on your own pillow.

#25 User is offline   PLAGUE's Short Bus 

• Forum ninja....screw that! Forum PIRATE!!!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE SHORT BUS

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

View Postslayerjake, on Aug 11 2008, 05:56 PM, said:

I'll stick to my truck. My dad being an EMT, and learning to drive with dad beside me I learned the simple things in life like "trains always beat vehicles" "semi's always beat cars" etc. etc. Getting in that thing is like signing your life away.

signing your life away? do you realize if we all drove these little cars then folks would be more responsible? if you actually have to pay, with almost all your life, if you get in a crash, then you will be more careful driving. trucks and suv's give people basically a free pass to drive unsafely. because, hell, if you get in a crash then you won't get hurt.

View Postsnipin, on Aug 11 2008, 10:03 PM, said:

View PostI.K.E., on Aug 10 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

YEAH BABY......We need to kick this oil habit like bad news. I'm all for the air car. Or any car that makes us less polluting/less dependant on oil. Not just FOREIGN OIL, any of it.

But, my money is on Tesla Corp's roadster. 0-60 in 4 seconds, 250 mile range, 120MPH top speed. ALL ELECTRIC.

so what youre saying is that you want to stop using oil all together or just for fuels? This is a list of some of the products made from oil. Nearly everything in our lives is made from oil, made by machinery and systems dependent on oil, and transported by oil as either gas or diesel fuel.

Ammonia, Anesthetics, Antihistamines, Artificial limbs, Artificial Turf, Antiseptics, Aspirin, Auto Parts, Awnings, Balloons, Ballpoint pens, Bandages, Beach Umbrellas, Boats, Cameras, Candles, Car Battery Cases, Carpets, Caulking, Combs, Cortisones, Cosmetics, Crayons, Credit Cards, Curtains, Deodorants, Detergents, Dice, Disposable Diapers, Dolls, Dyes, Eye Glasses, Electrical Wiring Insulation, Faucet Washers, Fishing Rods, Fishing Line, Fishing Lures, Food Preservatives, Food Packaging, Garden Hose, Glue, Hair Coloring, Hair Curlers, Hand Lotion, Hearing Aids, Heart Valves, Ink, Insect Repellant, Insecticides, Linoleum, Lip Stick, Milk Jugs, Nail Polish, Oil Filters, Panty Hose, Perfume, Petroleum Jelly, Rubber Cement, Rubbing Alcohol, Shampoo, Shaving Cream, Shoes, Toothpaste, Trash Bags, Upholstery, Vitamin Capsules, Water Pipes, Yarn

but this is a step in the right direction....if we start with cars, then, maybe, in a "few" (like a lot) of years, then maybe we won't be using expensive oil and relying on other nations to keep us going by selling us oil.
The PLAGUE...............Paintball Just Got Sicker!

At the end of the day, it's the guy with the most heart that wins.

#26 User is offline   Bobbjoe 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bobbjoe

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

View PostSteed, on Aug 12 2008, 12:43 PM, said:

Air Bag suits and helmets, you may go flying but you'll land on your own pillow.

So maybe these things are so small that they fill the entire crew compartment (don't know any other word for it) with airbags from all angles? Also, there are ways of desinging cars so that they fold into a "safe" when they crash. So yeah, it might take they jaws of life to get to you, but thats it, nothing else, even the other car can hurt you.

I Choose not to Conform to the Stereotypical Conformities that Stereotypical Conformative Society Conforms to.
What now?

#27 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

View Postghost93, on Aug 12 2008, 01:32 PM, said:

View PostOctavious, on Aug 12 2008, 08:08 AM, said:

-Oct

I don't really see how being pinned inside is better than being thrown from your motorcycle.

I don't see anywhere, where I mentioned that was it better. I made no correlation between riding a motorcycle and this vehicle in terms of safety. All I stated was, for my own personal accord, this car would take a long time to pay for itself, compared to just sticking with my car and the bike.

-Oct

#28 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

I'm not gonna debate the finer points of this particular vehicle... all I'm gonna say is that if they wanna start selling me an "environmentally friendly" vehicle, it better be "crash friendly" first. As in, not built out of materials you can find in an Arts and Crafts store. You wanna talk about a car saving you money, take into account the possibility of getting run off the road by a drunk illegal immigrant. = no insurance money and huge medical bills if you're unfortunate enough to get hurt.

Risk =/= reward. I'm not buying it.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#29 User is offline   Willow 

• Old Man Willow
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

The best way to not get into a crash, is to watch where you are going, crashes are hardly "sudden" unless you aren't paying any attention. If you aren't paying attention in a vehicle or on a bike you are simply asking for it.

Anyway, Bikes and small cars can be manage-able when it comes to risks, you have to be alert and drive, or ride defensively.

This small car is actually a good idea, but I don't think it will catch on in the USA because we simply love driving huge butt trucks for some reason (not me though).

#30 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

View PostWillow, on Aug 12 2008, 04:44 PM, said:

The best way to not get into a crash, is to watch where you are going, crashes are hardly "sudden" unless you aren't paying any attention. If you aren't paying attention in a vehicle or on a bike you are simply asking for it.

Anyway, Bikes and small cars can be manage-able when it comes to risks, you have to be alert and drive, or ride defensively.

This small car is actually a good idea, but I don't think it will catch on in the USA because we simply love driving huge butt trucks for some reason (not me though).

I actually kind of like the looks of smaller cars. I guess thats only cause I've lived in Europe for a while though.

Also if Americans have to pay attention while they drive when will they put on their make up, or drink their coffee, or eat their breakfast, or all the other things we just love to do while we drive?

This post has been edited by ghost93: 12 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users