• You cannot reply to this topic

Stiffi 14" Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   TY4CY 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:TY4CY

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

I have tried a few different barrels since getting my A5. I started with a flatline. The flatline had great distance and good accuracy, but if you have a barrel break on the field, you might not shoot another straight shot until you take the barrel off and really clean it. I next tried the Smart Parts teardrop barrel. This barrel was much more accurate than the flatline, and it showed in my kill count (I tend to favor close combat). I got a lot of compliments for accurate shots the first day I used it. I notice though that almost every time I got into a big fire fight, I would have a barrel break. A field squeege worked pretty good, but I still thought I could do better. My friend recommended a Stiffi, and that brings us to my review:

Barrel: Stiffi 14"
Marker: Tippmann A5
Accesories: Expansion chamber
Paint: PMI Premium

Accuracy: 10/10
Distance: 8/10
Barrel Breaks: 9/10

This barrel is incredibly accurate. If you line up a shot in range, chances are you're going to hit your target on the first trigger pull. The distance is very good too, it will shoot as far as anything save for the flatline. The really nice thing about this barrel though is it's ability to "shoot thru" barrel breaks. A barrel break is pretty rare with this bad boy, but if you do get one just keep firing. Within a few shots you'll be shooting straight again. Not perfect, but good enough to get the shot. I have never once cleaned this barrel on the field and it hasn't let me down yet.

One other nice thing is the barrel will make your gun more quiet. If you're a player who likes to lay low and pick people off without giving away your position, this might be the barrel for you.

If your budget is tight, I'd recommend the Smart Parts Teardrop. If you can afford it though, a Stiffi is the way to go if you're looking for accuracy over distance.

#2 User is offline   Black-Cell 

• The real man
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Blackcell

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

I'd say the stiffi is the most accurate and quiet barrel out there

#3 User is offline   The Last Man 

• Pumper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PUMPAH

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

J &J can give it a run for its money, from what I hear. + J and j is very cheap
Official Pump Owner 79
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer. Put this in your sig to help spread the word.

#4 User is offline   Jaron 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jaron

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

I also have a 14" Stiffi on my A-5 and have been very impressed the last 18 months I've had it. I can't comment much on the accuracy because it's been my experience that paint-bore match and how you shoot the marker are far more important. I've found Polar Ice and Evil fit the .691 bore extremely well. I will say that I can keep a 9" grouping at 100' with my red-dot sight and firing from a supported position ( prone, or off a box, etc. )

The quiet factor is indeed a big part of this barrel. The A-5 by nature is rather loud, but I've had consistent remarks on how mine's damped more than many others. My good friend has a Stiffi on his Q-Bow and it's unreal. The thing is also very light. I've used it for so long that I've gotten used to the weight and balance. Anytime I heft another marker, it just feels barrel heavy to me now.

I've read many people commenting on how well the barrel shoots through breaks. I can't comment on this either because I've never broken a ball in the barrel. I played a game back in the first snow dusting on the SpecOps field and had a great day. I had my normal ammo of Polar Ice and found it to behave very well in the cold, damp conditions. Two guys with Tac-One broke paint almost every round and even some other people with A-5's. I, on the other hand, was shooting perfectly consistent thanks in part to good extreme weather paint and also to the carbon fiber. The stuff just doesn't expand or shrink from temperature and stayed true all day.

On the downside, it's still a one piece barrel so anytime you're forced to use field paint rather than your own, it will literally be hit and miss. Site does make a Sw!tch barrel kit as well as St!ff tips for existing barrel kits. I've yet to try either of these products out, but wouldn't be surprised if they performed just as well. Another downside is the price. $100 for a barrel is a steep price to pay. Also there's a bit of controversy as to whether the barrel accepts swabs or not. The argument is that swab fibers can catch on the carbon and possibly lead to it unraveling. I've never seen this happen, but I'd rather be on the safe side and use squeegees. The last downside is that attaching a muzzle break isn't an option. As tough as carbon fiber is, it's generally not a good idea to attach a muzzle break since the set screws can cut into the carbon. The way I play with running and diving for position, I've buried my muzzle more than once. Granted I've never actually damaged it, but still a little added protection is always nice. However, this isn't so much a point anymore as Site is now laminating metal breaks on most of their products.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users