Special Ops Paintball: Sniping and ambushing - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sniping and ambushing is it unethical or against the rules Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Ambushing (160 member(s) have cast votes)

is it unethical

1. yes (8 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

2. no (152 votes [95.00%])

Percentage of vote: 95.00%

should it be against the rules

1. yes (1 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

2. no (159 votes [99.38%])

Percentage of vote: 99.38%

Vote

#1 User is offline   archangel07 

• FeatherFoot
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:archangel01

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

I have been playing for around 10 years and I run a recon/ tactical eliminations team, as I have been well versed in guerilla/ asymmetrical warfare. And I got into a discussion with a guy who I know about all of this.

He claims that "camping and waiting for the OpFor to walk by and shoot them by surprise is unethical and shows no skill, it should be against the rules." If you are doing it in a manner that you know where they will be it is called an ambush, and this is a guy who cant sit still for a minute.

We got into a deep discussion about rules and ethics, I agree that it may be unethical to engage from behind, but so is much of what my team does. However, we make sure not to break the rules, underhandedness is not against the rules of the game.

What do you guys think about ambushing and engaging from the rear?
A fool speaks because he has to say something,
A wise man speaks because he has something to say.

CJ Thompson
Rogue Recon CO
Some people say there is no such thing as a paintball sniper. That means we must be doing our job.
Infantry soldiers die in vain for a thousand shots. A sniper dies for the one shot that will change history.

#2 User is offline   DFRESH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

Personally, I think any style of play is allowed as long as it follows the basic rules. I do a lot of ambushing, it is a great tactic when you are up against a larger force. I consider sniping and ambushing to be part of the same style. Some people have issues with ambushers because it seems cowardly to not face an opponent face-to-face. However, during the Revolutionary War the colonists could not match up with the British redcoats on an open field of battle because the British forces were to well trianed and expierenced. Some the colonists were led by men, like Francis Marion, who created havoc for the British forces by using ambushes, aiming for officers, and guerilla tactics. People might not agree with ambushes and snipers, but they are an important historical and active element to the success of any fighting force, real or fun
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living. -Omar Bradley

#3 User is offline   Ghost.Mob.One 

• Official BES Paint Slinger
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost.Mob.One

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

sniping and ambushing isnt unethical in my book, nor against the rules. its a very commenly used tactic in woodsball. If you playing a standard elimination game wether it be at a local field or an outlaw woods field, its just part of the game. there is however one thing i always notice in some ambushes and thats Overshooting. that is something i dont believe in, and i know its not intentional for the ambushers to overshoot, but it happens.

#4 User is offline   emblem140 

• Blam
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:emblem140

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

I think these are very silly questions. When you think about it, Ambushing gives you the best advantage in any battle. and its not like your using better gear. If your put in a situation that is needed i say do it. I mean if you are organized and are able to pull it off you can take out any thing you face. Its ambushing that gives a noob a chance to beat a experienced vet. and when it comes to sniping, How else are you going to beat a Hammer? They are both very powerful types of units but if they ever met the sniper would totally have the advantage (considering that the sniper has good cover)

#5 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

Ever hear of "all is fair in love and war"?

At any rate, sniping is simply using a tactic, just like charging. It requires more skill and patience than one might think, and isn't in any way unethical. I'm sorry, but whether you're in a paintball game or war, getting shot in the back is little more than your own fault. You failed to notice the sniper as you walked right past him. Like every other contest, it's a battle of skill, patience, attention and discipline.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#6 User is offline   Ghost.Mob.One 

• Official BES Paint Slinger
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost.Mob.One

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

View PostJackRock, on Jan 26 2008, 03:46 PM, said:

Ever hear of "all is fair in love and war"?

At any rate, sniping is simply using a tactic, just like charging. It requires more skill and patience than one might think, and isn't in any way unethical. I'm sorry, but whether you're in a paintball game or war, getting shot in the back is little more than your own fault. You failed to notice the sniper as you walked right past him. Like every other contest, it's a battle of skill, patience, attention and discipline.

well said...

#7 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

well, if you fall for every ambush against you, i have to say that you just stink.

watching for ambushes and snipers is just part of the game. that's the thing about paintball as compared to videogames. you are playing against humans, not computers. computers are fair, predictable. humans adapt, and actually have a will to complete their tasks, and will use any tactic possible to win, even if it is underhanded. so if you don't want people to ambush you, play videogames.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

View Postarchangel07, on Jan 26 2008, 12:33 PM, said:

I have been playing for around 10 years and I run a recon/ tactical eliminations team, as I have been well versed in guerilla/ asymmetrical warfare. And I got into a discussion with a guy who I know about all of this.

He claims that "camping and waiting for the OpFor to walk by and shoot them by surprise is unethical and shows no skill, it should be against the rules." If you are doing it in a manner that you know where they will be it is called an ambush, and this is a guy who cant sit still for a minute.

We got into a deep discussion about rules and ethics, I agree that it may be unethical to engage from behind, but so is much of what my team does. However, we make sure not to break the rules, underhandedness is not against the rules of the game.

What do you guys think about ambushing and engaging from the rear?

Any person that enters into battle expecting a "fair fight" should make sure he brings along his mommy for protection.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   dogstile 

• who knew that i would become the local legend?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:dogstile

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

tell him to look before he leaps

everyone else'll have a good time snipeing

(oh, and i tired ambushing today but my gun let me down, barrel got unscrewed and wobbled as i fired, the next 20 or so seconds were NOT fun)
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"if you love paintball more then your relatives, put this in your sig"
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"

#10 User is offline   wbsniper94 

• "what a man fears most is what he cannot see"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:wbsniper94

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

It is not cowardly, but it is simply smart and correct use of your environment to boost you chances of winning. I personally think it is cowardly to try and rid of such an effective tactic simply because your team can't handle it.
SHAMELESS GUYS unite !!!!!!! PUZ for PREZ
Shameless guys quote #1: "Real men eat burgers, not pie or ikes, that's just an epic fail."

#11 User is offline   FCFER 

• Do Not Go Gentle...
  • PipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

I dont think its unethical or against the rules.
However, one of the teams I play with make it a point to limit the amount of camping players can perform during a game. If you are activley setting up an ambush for a group that you KNOW will be wandering by in the next 15 to 20 minutes, then its fine. If your just sitting under a log waiting for the sake of waiting and eating up everyones playing time (for the ones who where eliminated and waiting for the next game), then we start having problems. I should specify that these are typically single elimination games running 20 or more people lasting 30 minutes or more. When a thirty minute game runs into an hour, people start getting grumpy. When we have respawning every 10-15 minutes, I dont think its an issue though as the games go longer, but there is less waiting to respawn. One time we loosed all the waiting people to find the hidden camper. The game turned into a fox hunt! It was a blast!! We ended up making that one of our favorite games!
Play Hard, Pray Harder

#12 User is offline   Fall3n Soldier 

• set em up and nock em down
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Fall3n soldier

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

I think your friend is just mad that you beat him 9 times out of 10. He is totally wrong when it comes to having no skill. A sniper has to have nerves of steel. To be able to sit for countless hours waiting for some one to tread past their position. They are willing to crawl and climb to get to that favorite spot they have. And i take it you have played your friend countless times and probly used the same tactic. Guerrila. then maybe your friend should just wize up and take more unpredicted routes through the woods. If your in a squad and your walking down a man made path with dence wood and cat tails on your flanks, your just asking to get shot.
MEDICS...our battle begins with a cry for help, and ends with another...

"May god have mercy on my enemies, because i sure as hell won't"-general patton

#13 User is offline   Ekima 

• :Grin: I like it when you run!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EKIMA

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

please their has to be ambushing or sniping, other wise any time your not in the open and up close your doing one of the two.

Ekima

#14 User is offline   kingcheese 

• your face
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:cheesepoof

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

if anyone says yes to either one of those its becuase they are loosers who are sore loosers and cant take a shot like a man
offical saber #137
if we cant do it, then it doesnt need to be done

#15 User is offline   Deus_Wolf 

• Resident Lurker, Always Watching Never Present
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Deus_wolf

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

I think I would tell your friend that he doesn't need to involve his online game playing slander in our sport as I believe is were he got this from. For those of you who may not play video games I'll elaborate. In some games such as most deathmatch games it's considered "cheating" to sit back and Snipe or "camp" opponents. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your friend is just mad that he can't do anything about these people who have more skill then himself. Although Ambushes are underhanded and sneaky, and most people get PERTURBED off when caught in one, they are part of the game and some people are more comfortable playing that way. I'm a OMA ***shush*** don't tell

Playing THE Game with Honesty, Integrity and Determination since 2000

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users