• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Radio reception enhancement

#1 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

Through the years I have been frustrated by poor or no radio contact with my team members in a time of need. Either your out or range or just close enough to hear what is being said but still poor quality. So I began experimenting with antennas to get some extra range out of my radio.

Now the radios I'm dealing with are just cheap walmart radios. Anywhere from 3 mile or 30 mile. But before I begin, you first need to know a bit about these radios. The non licensed required radios you get from the store depend on two things to transmit and receive transitions. One being power( usually shown in watts) and receiving( this is more of an antenna than anything). Most of these radios who advertise 3 mile through 30 mile have the same power out put. This is around 2 watts. Yah yah some actually do go farther than others, but thats ONLY a receiving problem, not a transmitting problem.

These radios put most there power into broadcasting. And there not point-to-point transmitting either, they just put the signal out there, and its the receiving ends job to catch it. Now this dose not mean that the bigger the antenna the better, it still takes power to catch the signal. And if you have NOAA weather alert on your radio, this mod will allow you to catch that signal clearer too, since they have HUGE broadcast power.

What you'll need:

tools to dissemble your radio

a cheap old TV antenna( or new if you wish)

metal file

drill

small drill bit( wood or metal)

OK, first you will need to get your antenna. It will HAVE TO HAVE a screw that threads into the bottom of the antenna( see picture at bottom). Next is taking apart your radio, and removing the antenna cover. Next you will have to fit the screw into the antenna cover. DO NOT FORCE!! IF the screw fits snug, thats OK. But if you have to force it in, no not try it. If this is the case, put the threads of the screw into your drill, and LIGHTLY tighten. Be careful not to damage the threads. Take your file and start the drill and file down the dead until it fits into the antenna cover snugly. Once that is done, take a drill bit that is smaller than the screw threads and put a whole into the top center of the antenna cover. Insert the screw into the cover( threads first). Before you reassembly your radio, tune into a NOAA channel that is broken up slightly, and touch the new antenna to the radio antenna. If you don't have the NOAA channels, get a a friend to go slightly out of range. You should hear a noticeable difference in clearity. If not, extend your antenna( provided that you have an expendable one), and move it around a bit. Remember how clear the new signal came in, and reassemble your radio. Screw your antenna into the top of your radio antenna cover and try your clearity test again. If it is not clear like your original test, push the screw down into the cover until it touches the radio antenna.

You now have an antenna extension that will clear up incoming long range transitions. I would not advise in this being a permanent attachment because it has a tendency to bread off( I know from experience).

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 01 February 2011 - 05:16 PM
Reason for edit: cleared up confusing spelling error in thread title.

#2 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Taking apart your radio and taking off the antenna cover.

Filing the antenna screw.

Attached File(s)

#3 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

Drilling and punting the whole into the antenna cover.

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Finished product.

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic