• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Really short barrels Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aan310 

• I don't play paintball any more... :(
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

So... what is the deal with these really short barrels i am seeing every now and again. they are like no bigger than barrel backs. is that what they are? are they less accurate?
Here is an example:
Posted Image
now i realize taht is a freak with a really short tip.
So, if i get a freak back, is a tip needed at all? will this short little thing be less accrate than a normal barrel?

This post has been edited by aan310: 21 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

#2 User is offline   washburn647 

• The Red Dawn Rises!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Washburn647

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

Err, no example. However, I know what your talking about, and I often wonder the same thing.

#3 User is offline   freak of nature 

• Does that cat have an ear missing?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Freak_of_Nature

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

now, dont quote me on this, as im not even 50% sure of how the freak system works, but i think a tip may be needed to keep the inserts inside. And as to the accuracy, i really couldn't say, as i've only used barrel's 10-12" long.

EDIT: off topic, but what gun is that? for a second i thought it was a chimera'd mag, but i've never seen a body on a mag like that. anyone know?

This post has been edited by freak of nature: 21 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.
....Um, what? How can i have -2 messages?
Watch in order:Unsuccessful Procedure - Part 1, Unsuccessful Procedure - Part 2

#4 User is offline   xkpxfattyxx 

• Say WHAT?!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

The one pictured is wwa's 1inch freak tip. Shorter barrel does not mean less accurate though it is harder to aim for some.

#5 User is offline   aan310 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

or is it possible to just shoot out of a barrel back (like any kind)?

what are accurate (at least my J&J ceramic accurate) options for really short barrels?

#6 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

I cut the end off my A5's stock barrel to 3 inches. it's probably more accurate than the regular stock barrel because the porting starts at 4 inches and then has 4 more inches of drag... but it's hella loud.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#7 User is offline   CON*RAD 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CON*RAD

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

I see that lots of paintballers these days have guns that freckin rip, so they start to think that a shorter barrel would be more compact and easier to get around things, So they say why use a longer barrel for accuracy if you canshoot 20+ bps and get the job done...

not saying they are not accurate because most are decently accurate to hit targets from a good far range. Sorry I would write more but there is a huge lightning storm and I have to turn the computer off before it gets zapped. peace and good night (hope this little bit of my thoery helped a bit)
AGD- "because quality always shoots straight"

pump player

SOUP

#8 User is offline   aan310 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

View PostCON*RAD, on Jul 21 2008, 09:31 PM, said:

I see that lots of paintballers these days have guns that freckin rip, so they start to think that a shorter barrel would be more compact and easier to get around things, So they say why use a longer barrel for accuracy if you canshoot 20+ bps and get the job done...

not saying they are not accurate because most are decently accurate to hit targets from a good far range. Sorry I would write more but there is a huge lightning storm and I have to turn the computer off before it gets zapped. peace and good night (hope this little bit of my thoery helped a bit)

well, i kinda get what your saying... but these questions still remain.
1. Do i need a barrel front it
a. The back uses inserts (freak)
b. The back duesn't use inserts (all american)
2. how would accuracy be compaired to a j&j ceramic

#9 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

Maybe people are finally learning that the front of a two-piece barrel has pretty much nothing to do with anything aside from sound. In many cases such as with freak barrels, you are essentially shooting a 6-7 inch barrel (however long the insert is). Like all two-piece barrels the back piece (or inserts) is the only one that really matters. Maybe people will also realize that most manufacturers make their back pieces too short to begin with. Lapco has it right with their Snapshot, and one piece barrels (so long as they aren't full of porting) do just fine as well.

Most barrels are more or less all just about as accurate as one another, it doesn't matter if the barrel is 6'', 12'', or 20''. The best air efficiency will be had around 8-12 inches - but aside from that it's all about what you're comfortable with.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#10 User is offline   aan310 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

so do i actually and by actually, i mean like do they hold the insert in, and what if the back is just a standard bore, no inserts.. waht then) need fronts or not?

This post has been edited by aan310: 21 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

#11 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:20 PM

If you're using an insert like with the Freak kits, the front piece hold the back piece in.

With standard two piece barrels where the back piece is one package you don't even need a front to shoot. It may depend on the brand and how it connects to the front piece - but for the most part you don't actually need a front piece for two piece barrels.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#12 User is offline   10-shot kid 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:37 PM

you only really need 6 inches to get accuracy from a paintball gun, your gas efficency will suck though. When you get bellow that your going to see a drop in accuracy. The smallest I would personally recomend is 8 inches. Larger than 10 (12 inch+) and your going to lose effeciency and consistancy because the gas will begin to curve up around the paintball and mess with it. This is assuming we're talking about unported barrles. A barrle with porting will make it so bassically the barrle ceases to greatly effect the ball after the porting begins.
Edward Thomas Cigar: 104 Limestone Plaza Fayettville, the only place with a proper lounge to buy and smoke well kept premium and rare cigars in syracuse.
Cousins paintball: Top of the line tourny and rec. fields and gear http://www.playpaintball.com/

Professional Internet Poster Sponsered by,
Sean "SP marketing dude" Scott: DESTROYER OF SPECIAL OPS 4 EVAH!

#13 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:37 AM

Absolutely correct - the effective length of any barrel ends at the porting. Once the air escapes, that's it - so if you measure out on most, you're effective barrel length is only going to be 6" - 8", regardless.

I love watching some of things guys lug around 16 - 20" barrels out on the field, knowing it will be that much harder and take that much longer for them to lay the barrel on target & fire. While my 10" barrel is just as accurate, more compact & I can move the entire setup to get to the target just a little faster (not as much of a problem in longer shots, but in close-in firefights, every millisecond counts).

I believe Lapco has done some mini-barrels 8" .684, with the possibility of doing the same with a .690 or .687 - one piece. There was a team talking about them on MCB.

#14 User is offline   Tek 

• Paintball Jedi
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rogue Tek

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

I have used a freak with one of the 1 in tips, I found for play on smaller fields I didnt notice differenc in accuracy. On larger fields while longballin I noticed a slight differenc but nothing major. The one field I play at has 4 stripped out mobile homes you can play room 2 room in. The shorter setup worked great for room clearing in the trailers and I didnt suffer accuracy loss while playing the rest of the fields that day. For who ever asked the pic is of an Ion... belonged to on of the guys on pbn, its an original lucky body on an element v1 frame.
Member of Ambush Alpha ~ www.AmbushAlpha.net
Sponsors: AADS, AMMO Energy, Angel, A.P.E., APP, BT (Battle Tested), BT Warrior:Online, EMR, Energy Paintball, Engler Custom Guns, Fire Fox, Guerrilla Air, Hoo-Ahhs, HP, P&D Ordnance, Scott

Member of JOINT FURY

Daggers first into the fray... What? Like you apes want to live for ever!
Hired Gun Monkey for Rogue Elites ~ Paintball Squad
Sponsors: Rogue Ales

#15 User is offline   aan310 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

View PostTek, on Jul 22 2008, 05:47 AM, said:

I have used a freak with one of the 1 in tips, I found for play on smaller fields I didnt notice differenc in accuracy. On larger fields while longballin I noticed a slight differenc but nothing major. The one field I play at has 4 stripped out mobile homes you can play room 2 room in. The shorter setup worked great for room clearing in the trailers and I didnt suffer accuracy loss while playing the rest of the fields that day. For who ever asked the pic is of an Ion... belonged to on of the guys on pbn, its an original lucky body on an element v1 frame.

well, does any one know of any 6in or 8in impulse/ion barrels, or am i gona have to find a freak back and tip/ diffrent barrel back?

EDIT: so if i just get this... it wil work?
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...LEAAAERtsfovLPN

This post has been edited by aan310: 22 July 2008 - 07:12 AM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users