• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrading from a Tippmann Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Der Kartozeichner 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

Hey, guys. After recently playing some speedball with my Tippmann A5, I realized something. While I was keeping up with Invert Minis and such, it was quite cumbersome and difficult to be playing with a massive A-5. So, recently I've been looking up some new paintball equipment.

My first purchase is going to be a new mask system, which I trust to be Dye i4s. Then, I am looking to grab a Ninja Air 68/4500, and finally, a Dye Rotor in tandem with a new marker.

Now, the marker I'm looking for is basically a 'speedball' marker, i.e. a light, small marker that.. isn't a Tippmann, really. So far I've come down to three choices:

-Spyder Electra '09: Cheap, and it works
-Invert Mini: Have heard a lot about it, small size and better performance is good
-Dangerous Power G3: See above

I've also noted that the DP G4 is coming out soon, but I'm unsure if I would want to grab that, since it would be so-far untested.

So, what does SO think?

Fairfield Republic - War Slots - Aid Slots
Tippmann Owners Club #119

#2 Guest_B-Dazl_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

View PostDer Kartozeichner, on 17 August 2010 - 10:53 AM, said:

Hey, guys. After recently playing some speedball with my Tippmann A5, I realized something. While I was keeping up with Invert Minis and such, it was quite cumbersome and difficult to be playing with a massive A-5. So, recently I've been looking up some new paintball equipment.

My first purchase is going to be a new mask system, which I trust to be Dye i4s. Then, I am looking to grab a Ninja Air 68/4500, and finally, a Dye Rotor in tandem with a new marker.

Now, the marker I'm looking for is basically a 'speedball' marker, i.e. a light, small marker that.. isn't a Tippmann, really. So far I've come down to three choices:

-Invert Mini: Have heard a lot about it, small size and better performance is good

I've also noted that the DP G4 is coming out soon, but I'm unsure if I would want to grab that, since it would be so-far untested.

So, what does SO think?

I played with an A5 for years!!! Then MOATI bought an Invert Mini for the team............. and let me tell you........... I have NEVER looked back. Sure I keep the A5 around for a back-up. But for the money, I have not found anything better than that little Mini. It's OLIVE DUST color, with a 68/4500 tank with an Omnipat skin, a DYE ROTOR with an Omnipat Skin, a PYTHON kit and a STIFFI MF 14" barrel with an Omnipat skin. I shoot it ALL the time (unless I'm using Mark's EGO9, then I let Donny use the Mini - watch for it on the upcoming NEW EPISODE of Spec Ops Live: w/ B-Dazl<-----shameless plug). You'll need to become familiar with how to maintain it properly and keep it lubed, but even that is pretty easy.

If there is another gun out there that compares.......... it would be the DP G3......... Never owned one...... but I've shot them........... pretty sweet!!!

Anyway, that is my $0.02

#3 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

well i wouldnt call an a-5 massive by any means. a double trouble is massive... same for a quadzilla, or trident. an a-5 is average size. speedball markers for the mostpart would be small to average. but if its too beefy for you, i guess i'll let it slide. :P

as for DP, ive had an f8 and it was a totally schweet marker. the dipswitches instead of buttons and lights to tune the board were a dream come true... i believe the military would call it idiot proof. I am a big fan of DP, and although i havent used any of their other stuff i know that the other markers cant be any worse than the f8. minis are cool, but the tm7 is cooler. its like an angrier, tougher looking mini. or a mini that went to boot camp. lol.

either way, mini or DP you cant really lose. but my question is why not go for an x-7 or a phenom?
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

View PostDer Kartozeichner, on 17 August 2010 - 11:53 AM, said:

So far I've come down to three choices:

The Spyder isn't an upgrade. It's on the same level as the A5, no real improvement.

I would say check into both the G3 and the Mini. A lot of people like the Mini, but a lot of people find it too small for them. May want to make sure you're not one of them before buying one.

either way, mini or DP you cant really lose. but my question is why not go for an x-7 or a phenom?

Because the X7 isn't an upgrade from the A5. It's just an overpriced A5 with a different receiver.

The Phenom would be a maybe, but the OP suggests he wants something smaller than the A5. The Phenom doesn't really fit that description.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 17 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#5 Guest_B-Dazl_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

View PostThalion, on 17 August 2010 - 12:52 PM, said:

A lot of people like the Mini, but a lot of people find it too small for them. May want to make sure you're not one of them before buying one.

I'm 6'6" and 300 lbs. and the MINI has never felt "too small" for me :)

#6 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

View PostB-Dazl, on 17 August 2010 - 01:53 PM, said:

I'm 6'6" and 300 lbs. and the MINI has never felt "too small" for me :)

I want to say Legato didn't like the feel of it?

I've heard others say that as well. It's pretty much a personal preference. Fine marker, may or may not fit you well (not saying larger players will automatically be the ones who find it too small either)

I've never gotten to use one, so I can't say much one way or the either on it.
Member of Team Akkadian

#7 User is offline   Run'n Gun 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:KOLTENMOLTEN

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Well, I have a G3 and it is amazing! I use it for woodsball and speedball. It is a really great marker and will not break down on you. The DP G4 did come out, and I guess you could get that, but if u want something cheaper, go with the G3, in my opinion. So yeah, hope you find a marker you like!

God Bless!!!

#8 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

View PostIron__Man, on 17 August 2010 - 12:43 PM, said:

well i wouldnt call an a-5 massive by any means. a double trouble is massive... same for a quadzilla, or trident. an a-5 is average size. speedball markers for the mostpart would be small to average. but if its too beefy for you, i guess i'll let it slide. :P

as for DP, ive had an f8 and it was a totally schweet marker. the dipswitches instead of buttons and lights to tune the board were a dream come true... i believe the military would call it idiot proof. I am a big fan of DP, and although i havent used any of their other stuff i know that the other markers cant be any worse than the f8. minis are cool, but the tm7 is cooler. its like an angrier, tougher looking mini. or a mini that went to boot camp. lol.

I can't remember exactly what, but I've heard of some issues with stuff breaking down the the TM7s (though they use Mini components, something wasn't integrated properly; or that it was built with cheap material)...plus it totally ruins the MILSIM look to put a hopper on it.

#9 User is offline   T8 Snipa 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:A-5 Snipa

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

The Dangerous Power G4 is already out
but i would get the invert mini, also dont get the rotor get the pinokio it is better in my opion
but yea that sounds like a good setup

#10 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

go with a mini
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#11 User is offline   Der Kartozeichner 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

View PostThalion, on 17 August 2010 - 02:52 PM, said:

The Spyder isn't an upgrade. It's on the same level as the A5, no real improvement.

I would say check into both the G3 and the Mini. A lot of people like the Mini, but a lot of people find it too small for them. May want to make sure you're not one of them before buying one.

Performance-wise it is definitely not one, however, the addition of the electronic firing modes and the highly reduced size is an upgrade in my eyes. Keep in mind that I'm really just looking for a smaller marker, not necessarily one that shoots better--they all seem to shoot similarly to me, no real change in performance.

Because the X7 isn't an upgrade from the A5. It's just an overpriced A5 with a different receiver.

^This. My A-5 is already good enough for what I'll be using it for, I don't need new receivers and squishy paddles.

Well, it looks like I could get a Mini for $310 new, or a G3 IQ for about $260 new.

Fairfield Republic - War Slots - Aid Slots
Tippmann Owners Club #119

#12 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

The X7 doesn't even come with squishy paddles stock...

View Postcdrinkh20, on 17 August 2010 - 02:38 PM, said:

I can't remember exactly what, but I've heard of some issues with stuff breaking down the the TM7s (though they use Mini components, something wasn't integrated properly; or that it was built with cheap material)...plus it totally ruins the MILSIM look to put a hopper on it.

The issue with the first-generation TM7s was unique to the BT, not to the Mini internals.

The basic idea is Mini-internals in a barebones aluminum receiver (by bare bones, I mean literally barebones - only the pressurized parts/chamber of the marker - even the electronics and trigger area are outside of it) in a plastic outer receiver shell. The issues came from a bad power button on the plastic shell mostly, though they did have some hiccups with some of the solenoids.

All the actual guts that are similar to/identical to Mini parts worked pretty well, with the possible exception of the solenoids.

Later generation TM7s solved this issue.
Member of Team Akkadian

#13 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

View PostThalion, on 17 August 2010 - 03:02 PM, said:

The X7 doesn't even come with squishy paddles stock...

View Postcdrinkh20, on 17 August 2010 - 02:38 PM, said:

The issue with the first-generation TM7s was unique to the BT, not to the Mini internals.

The basic idea is Mini-internals in a barebones aluminum receiver (by bare bones, I mean literally barebones - only the pressurized parts/chamber of the marker - even the electronics and trigger area are outside of it) in a plastic outer receiver shell. The issues came from a bad power button on the plastic shell mostly, though they did have some hiccups with some of the solenoids.

All the actual guts that are similar to/identical to Mini parts worked pretty well, with the possible exception of the solenoids.

Later generation TM7s solved this issue.

Thanks for the heads-up :) must've been an old review.

#14 User is offline   edtoro 

• Street Ghost Urban Camo User.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsDrake

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

The BT TM-15 might be in the league of what youre looking for. Although a scenario marker by its shell, its a Mini running under the hood. Taking off the stock also enables for a more compact style of play, suitable for speedball if need be.
Posted Image

Official Saber Recognition Group:#796
Furthermore - if you are "deuce-ing" during a game, you have more things to worry about than camo kneepads. - ger
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

#15 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 17 August 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

Thanks for the heads-up :) must've been an old review.

No problem. I have one of those first generation TM7s and it's seen a couple of trips to BT for the refits.

Only big difference between my TM7 and a Gen2+ TM7 is the serial number and my selector markings aren't engraved in like the new versions.

View Postedtoro, on 17 August 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

The BT TM-15 might be in the league of what youre looking for. Although a scenario marker by its shell, its a Mini running under the hood. Taking off the stock also enables for a more compact style of play, suitable for speedball if need be.

Even without the stock, the TM-15 is long in comparison to most electro markers.

I'd honestly tell people to avoid the TM7/TM15 if they want a speedball or compact marker. If they are specifically looking for something like a milsim or stocked marker but want better than Tippmann, I highly recommend them. I like my TM7 because it fits exactly what I wanted it for (to have a stock/remote gun that was lighter and shot better than a Tippmann). If I was looking for the most compact platform available (or at least something small-ish), it would not be high on my list.
Member of Team Akkadian

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users