Overboard with the sponserships GRAH! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   10-shot kid 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

removed

This post has been edited by 10-shot kid: 27 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Edward Thomas Cigar: 104 Limestone Plaza Fayettville, the only place with a proper lounge to buy and smoke well kept premium and rare cigars in syracuse.
Cousins paintball: Top of the line tourny and rec. fields and gear http://www.playpaintball.com/

Professional Internet Poster Sponsered by,
Sean "SP marketing dude" Scott: DESTROYER OF SPECIAL OPS 4 EVAH!

#2 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:43 PM

I haven't heard TOO much poo flinging going on about the Viper game but it definitely sucks that people are getting all worked up about it just because they can't afford to go. I've played in 3 or 4 Viper games and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. Viper is one of the nicest people I've met since I started playing, granted he doesn't always have time to stand around and BS with everybody but that's because he works his butt off trying to provide high quality games.

I don't know exactly how sponsorship is causing problems with the invitational game but I do see your point on sponsored people, in general, selling out and being POOP SHOOTERs. There's a few shops/companies that have offered or talked to me about sponsoring my team but the BS that they put you through just for some gear discounts doesn't seem like it's worth it. I'd rather pay retail for my gear (but I don't even without sponsorship) than be some little trash talking rep/spokesman for a company that just wants to hurt someone elses bank account. I'm not saying that everyone with a sponsor is a no good POOP SHOOTER but too many of them are.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#3 User is offline   Tots 

• Yup, thats me ^
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:whitefox2474

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

Whats going on with the Viper game? I've always heard that they had pretty good games.

#4 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

Posted Image

Seriously, what are you talking about with the Viper game? I haven't heard one person talking down about it.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#5 User is offline   10-shot kid 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

this is much less about the VIP game and more about the BS in general.
Edward Thomas Cigar: 104 Limestone Plaza Fayettville, the only place with a proper lounge to buy and smoke well kept premium and rare cigars in syracuse.
Cousins paintball: Top of the line tourny and rec. fields and gear http://www.playpaintball.com/

Professional Internet Poster Sponsered by,
Sean "SP marketing dude" Scott: DESTROYER OF SPECIAL OPS 4 EVAH!

#6 User is offline   deltapaintball 

• Josh Foote
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:deltapaintball

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:47 PM

View Post10-shot kid, on Aug 21 2007, 09:34 PM, said:

Top scenario teams get gun discounts bringing highend gun/gear purchases down +/- 70%, that's it.

I beg to differ on this part. While I can not disclose the details of our marketing agreements, I can state that the deals for the "top scenario teams" are much better then that. (At least in our case) Besides that point, I aggree with your comments on the VIP haters.
Coming soon.

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:56 PM

Sponsorships in general are overrated.

My team plays unsponsored because we don't like to be owned by someone else and play for someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hold anything against sponsored teams (unless they're acting as 10shot described), but I think a lot of people have a faulty view of sponsorships.
Member of Team Akkadian

#8 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

i agree with this in some ways and disagree in others

i have what some might call sponsership, its what I would call a employe discount, one thing the small company i work for does is order podpacks, barrle bags, knee and elbow pads from the same companys as dye orders theres from (bet you thought they owned there own factories) so we have nxe and dye quality gear at a fraction of the cost with a big "P" logo rather then the dye emblem (sp) and people rip on this gear left right and center, saying its crap and stuff and most of them have never even tried it on. and i realize that they don't like it cause of the lack of a logo, and that TINKLEes me off

how ever the pricnpal behind it, of supporting your sponsors makes sence, if you down play others then. the brand name gos farther without needing to worry about slander or lible, so its a good busnes ... plot, dishonast yes, but smart and effective

#9 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:34 AM

I've had sponsors before and frankly I'm happy that I'm not sponsored now, they do absolutely nothing for you except give you stuff and even then 80% of it is stuff you'll never use. Frankly players are selling them selves as product, yeah its cool if your team gets free markers but frankly if another team can be just as successfull without the sponserships, I'll actually respect them. The team I was working on getting together was going to use WDP as a sponsor just for the fact that I like the company and there are way too many people using crap gear thinking its better.
As far as the VIP mud slinging goes, this isn't new. In the last 2 years teams are starting to use their name and sponsorships to attempt to force producers to let them play for free and they yank the sponsor from the game and bad mouth the event to keep the numbers down. This is what is hurting the game the most that's why we're seeing VIP games. By the looks of things even BlackCat will use an invite format, but I'm not sure what they'll be doing, been out of the loop this season. Companies are only sponsoring teams to get their names out there, most couldn't care less who you are or even what you do at this point, to them you're the same product that's on the shelf.

#10 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:56 AM

I agree. My team is sponsored, but we don't go lying, or bashing other companys/products because of it. Unless of course we have tried that product or so on and hated it.... (Ex. Monster Ball paint for me... just an example.) But either way it is still just the opinion of the person, not lies to promote our sponsor.

#11 User is offline   Epic Change 

• XAPB.com
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Speedball FTW

Fv2
Hello everybody. Im back.

#12 User is offline   deltapaintball 

• Josh Foote
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:deltapaintball

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

View PostJK, on Aug 22 2007, 11:17 AM, said:

Speedball FTW

Fv2

What does that have to do with anything? Keep it on topic please.
Coming soon.

#13 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:35 AM

View PostJK, on Aug 22 2007, 08:17 AM, said:

Speedball FTW

Fv2

:mellow: :) :huh:
Whats that have to do with this?

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice DPT's post...

This post has been edited by shadow_772: 22 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

#14 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

I think that he thinks there's less drama in SpeedBall sponsorship, lol oh that's funny or he's comparing what's going on now in the Scneraio World to what has been going on in Speedball, which would be pretty close.

#15 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

Sponsors can be both good and bad, depending on who it is. For example a large company like Smart Parts (for example) may give you tons of free stuff (like markers) BUT they may also demand you use their stuff exclusively. Depending on the wording of the contract you may no longer be able to play pump because SP doesn't make a pump marker.

Going with smaller companies that are locally owned give you more freedom as to what gear you can use but may not give you enough money to cover entry fees.

Both types will expect you to promote their products. Larger companies will expect you to be more aggressive in promotion. How you do it is entirely up to you. There is never a need to slam another company. Why? It makes you look bad and it makes your sponsor look bad. If I hear someone bashing a company's product I ask a few questions: Have you actually used item X? If you weren't sponsored by this company would you use products by company X? You can tell by how they respond if they are lying about it. Most peolpe won;t ask those questions.

This post has been edited by Puzuma: 22 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users