Special Ops Paintball: Beat the Heat!! - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beat the Heat!! It's summer again...beware...

#46 User is offline   Ghost_Wolf 

• Silent but Deadly.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

The second best thing about my Broadsword6 vest is the slot for my camelbak pouch. I'd never be able to ghillie up in the summer without it. Underarmor is amazing too. I have a few sets from when i played football for my HS (before some (long string of expletives) put his helmet into my knee) , and it's invaluable on hot days.

Also, i keep a big (2 gallons or so) thermos-type bottle of cold water back at prep area with a few cut up lemons in it. 3 lemons, cut in half with the skin still on and everything. I don't know why it works but it's more refreshing than plain water without the sugar and crap in things like gatorade.
--Ghost_Wolf
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#47 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

I have to add my 2 cents. When I went to Paris Island, one of the recruits died from heat exhaustion. He had a heart condition that no one knew about.

Replace your electrolytes. Its not just about staying hydrated, those electrolytes keep your brain and heart working properly. Sports drinks were designed for this.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#48 User is offline   SexyHeartAttack 

• You can't wipe a welt...
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:wrzesinski

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

i am a gillie shrouded field sniper and i find the best way to prevent any of these above symptoms AND stay hidden is to purchase a camelpack [ranging from $25 to $100 depending on size]then fill it with gatorade/powerade/pickle juice, whatever you fancy, its a cheap way to prevent the deadly alternative. you can lay in prone position for hours on end in the heat of the day without passing out or getting dehydrated at all...its one of the best investments a sniper, or any player should make.

This post has been edited by SexyHeartAttack: 13 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

if you are a PROUD AMERICAN, put this in your sig
if your house was on fire and the first thing you would grab is your paintball gear, put this in your sig.
if paintball is your anti drug, put this in your sig
if your parents dont buy your gear, put this in your sig
if the only original part of your marker is the frame,put this in your sig

He Who Praises an Apex Barrel, Hasnt played with an Apex barrel

#49 User is offline   Mr.Flint 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

One warning about energy drinks such as Gatorade and others - they contain caffeine, and will dehydrate you even more. It is not designed for long term consumption, in environments of extreme water loss. They were designed for energy replenishment in fairly short sportive activity (but not as replacement to water)
Water and a salt source are the two things you need, a very small amount of sweets (especially those with vitamin C) is beneficial too (your muscles would hurt far less afterwards because of it)

#50 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

I just finished a 2 day scenario event where the temperature reached a brain melting 110 on saturday...dehydration, heat exhaustion, & heat stroke were very real dangers. Although there were a few close calls, there were no serious issues regarding players staying healthy in the heat.
Why? Everyone took extra measures to prevent problems - the producer & generals kept rotating players off the field for hydration breaks & cool-downs in a nearby river, CPs were well stocked with water (which players were REQUIRED to pound when checking in...I was a General for this one, & I made it a rule that I wouldnt even talk to anyone who didnt have a bottle of water in their hand), and most of all players watched out for each other on & off the field. Phrases like "You need any more water?" and "Whens the last time you jumped in the river?" were repeated like a broken record all day long by everyone, everywhere. The result - everyone was uncomfortable, but there were no serious incidents & no one needed an ambulence.

So in addition to all the great advice in this topic about keeping yourself hydrated, I have to say that the single best thing players can do to prevent heat related injuries to to WATCH EACH OTHERS BACKS. When you see someone who looks shaky or dazed, stop what you're doing & assist them off the field (even if they dont want help - this is important, get a ref to help if needed) & get them in a cool place & something to drink. We take care of ourselves by taking care of each other...and no flag or mission card is worth losing someone to heat stroke.

Stay Cool, Stay Hydreated, Stay Safe...

This post has been edited by The Stuntman: 20 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

#51 User is offline   JNelson4850 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MEDIC48

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Very good Thread!

As well as being an Airsmith I am an EMT-B on my way to being a paramedic by the end of the year. So...
Here is the text from my paramedic text book on treatment of Heat Exhaustion, the precursor to Heatstroke which causes serious damage to body tissues.

1. Remove patient from the environment. Place in a cool environment such a shaded area or air-conditioned ambulance
2. Place the patient in Supine position. (Laying down on their back)
3. Administer and oral saline solution (approximately 4 teaspoons of salt to a gallon of water). Or a sports drink. Do NOT adminisiter salt tablets, wich are are not absorbed as readily and may cause stomach irritation. If patient is unable to orally take fluids and IV of normal saline may be needed.
4. Remove some clothing and fan patient. Cool patient without chillling them. Fanning increases evaporation and cooling. Again be careful not to cool the patient to the point of chilling. If the patient begins to shiver stop fanning and perhaps cover the patient lightly.
5. Treat for shock if shock if shock is suspected.

:excl: The signs of Heatstroke :excl:

* Cessation of Sweating
* Hot skin that is dry or moist
* Very High core temperature
* Deep respirations that become shallow, rapid at first, and may later slow...
* Rapid full pulse, may slow later
* Hypotension
* Confusion or disorientation or unconsciousness
* Possible seizures

Treatments are similar to Heat exhaustion, however you will be needing to call Medics so we can administer O2, IV Saline, and monitor Cardiac functions. By the time its to Heatstroke, there IS serious damage occurring to body tissues.

:excl: Preventive Measures
*Maintain Adequate Fluid Intake, remembering thirst is an inadequate indicator of dehydration
*Allow time for gradual acclimatization to being out in the heat. Acclimatization results in more perspiration with lower salt concentration and increases body-fluid volume.
*Limit exposure to hot environments.

So be safe, pay attention to how your feeling, and your friends and other platers are feeling/acting. If someone is acting really funny or seems lethargic, get them to sit in the shade and cool off, drink some water and take it easy. Its all for fun so no point in risking your health or someone else's health.
Besides I would hate to stop my day of play to treat someone as a medic for real. :laugh:

#52 User is offline   MRMIG 

• Ummm.... yeah that kid.....
  • Pip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Great Thread! Lots of good info, espical for a lager player like me! I've been dehydrated but i have never sufferd from Heat Exhaustion, I know i'll be more aware of it and how to help myself and others.
#78 MR-1
Its all fun an games untill flying monekys attack....
The world revolves around the sun... not you...

#53 User is offline   C/SMSgt Pearson 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

View Postghostinthewood, on Jun 11 2006, 12:23 AM, said:

Hydration bladders and underarmor are worth it guys. :)

AMEN. Under Armour is a god send! It'll keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I wear my Under Armour pants out in the field (say what you will, but they are comfy and cool) underneath my BDUs, and it really does work. I think Marines use them over in Iraq and Afghanistan (not the pants, shirts) to keem cool.

#54 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

View PostC/SMSgt Pearson, on Jul 10 2008, 10:41 PM, said:

Hydration bladders and underarmor are worth it guys. :P

AMEN. Under Armour is a god send! It'll keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I wear my Under Armour pants out in the field (say what you will, but they are comfy and cool) underneath my BDUs, and it really does work. I think Marines use them over in Iraq and Afghanistan (not the pants, shirts) to keem cool.

It's against protocol to wear Under Armour in the military now, due to the fact that in high heat scenarios (gun firing, explosions, etc.) the fabric will actually melt to the skin, and makes it darn hard to remove.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#55 User is offline   C/SMSgt Pearson 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

View PostJonas, on Jul 10 2008, 11:17 PM, said:

View PostC/SMSgt Pearson, on Jul 10 2008, 10:41 PM, said:

Hydration bladders and underarmor are worth it guys. :)

It's against protocol to wear Under Armour in the military now, due to the fact that in high heat scenarios (gun firing, explosions, etc.) the fabric will actually melt to the skin, and makes it darn hard to remove.

I heard that too. but paintball markers fire cold so for paintball they are awesome. Fires, not so much.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users