• You cannot reply to this topic

Drills, Formations, Tactics Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   No Fear 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Death_C.A.P.S

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

In most of these threads I see people mentioning drills formations and tactics where can I find good drills, the types of formations and good tactics? I'm aware of military formations is that what people are refering to? Aka wedge, column, etc..
Team Death C.A.P.S-No_Fear

#2 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

drills are something you can run either by yourself or with teammates. drill is just practice and keeping your skills sharp. formations is a bit taboo in paintball. usually the only real formations are when you're walking down a trail with teammates, or entering a cqb situation and you stack up with your team to clear a structure like swat. most paintballers like to keep their "formations" very loose. usually if you're in a firefight as long as someone is anchoring the oposition and you send flankers, etc. that's a formation. if you'd like, get creative, but just remember that strict formations and tactics are hard to adhere to in a live situation.tactics are all over the place.

just check the forum threads, and webdog for drills and tactics to give you an idea of what works. creativity pays off, just keep it simple.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#3 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

No Fear,

What you are assuming is generally correct. A lot of the names, tactics, and other "lingo" is indeed military based. Iron man is correct. These formations, tactics, and other references should be applied loosely. By "loosely" I am referring to is adjusting the information and applying it to you in the best possible usefulness. If you have doubt about how a certain tactic will work, run it in a game. But have the presence of mind to determine how to adjust the tactic. Knowledge is power. The more you know and understand the easier it will be to adjust these things. Personally after two years of leading a "home town" team I have found the most effective way to train for a fight is to fight. As much my teammates got bored or flustered with having to to play against the other fire team they truly progressed the most. I'd just insert new small tactics or suggestions and watched the team grow. Rarely will any engagement ever go according to plan. So be flexible.
If you want ideas for this information just search the word tactics. Two years ago when I was active on this board a lot of tactical information was brought together by some of the best paintball commanders I will ever have the pleasure of knowing. A main thing you will see in their tactics is how basic they are. As you develop your own play book you will see how well this works. Happy paintballing.

Platinum Marksman

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#4 User is offline   syndicate444 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

Drills, Formations, and Tactics

First things first, I would not suggest trying to use full military formations or tactics in paintball. Instead, you should focus on what the overall reasoning for the tactic or what the point of the formation is, and utilize the reasoning behind each. In example, one of the more common military formations is the "column," which is essentially one person following the other, with the lead watching the forward field of view, middle focusing on the sides, and the rear focusing on the flank. This is used to provide 360 degrees of coverage when moving through an area. In paintball, this would make you an easy group of targets and should be avoided. The concept of having everyone in the group watching a certain area while moving on the other hand is very useful. Paintball tactics can easily be based on military tactics, but again the concept should be used rather than the exact method. "Leap frogging" is great example of a military tactic being adapted to pb. Leap frogging is where squad one provides cover fire for squad two to advance to the next line of cover. Once in position, squad two provides cover fire for squad one to move forward. This continues until the destination is reached. In pb, this tactic should be used in small groups for short distances. Example, if you have a 3 person squad, person A should lay down cover fire, while person B advances, and person C should move to gain a superior firing position. Once B is in place, he should lay down cover fire while A advances. By this time C should be in position to pick off the opponent. Each step needs to be completed as quickly and as fluidly as possible. Again these are just suggestions on how to adapt military techniques to the field. The easiest by far is doing drills. Drills can be pretty much anything you want it them to be. Setup a small target and a makeshift bunker to practice snap shooting or moving from cover while shooting. Use your imagination! A good way to create drills is analyze the last game you played, how you were hit, or how you hit someone else, and setup a drill to practice what you did or should have done.

#5 User is offline   pathfinder82 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:pathfinder101

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

Drill and tactics if your not familiar with them there are alot of books and manuals you can study to help freshen yourself up on them if your not familiar with small and large unit tactics or combat formations. After you study up on them practice, practice ,practice what you learned and drill them into your teams heads so they know how to operate as one unit and act less as individuals and more as a team.

#6 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Looking at military books and such will give you plenty of ideas for formations, drills, and tactics. One thing to take in mind is that most formations (eg: wedge, column, ect) are designed with range in mind. An M-16 rifle has a much longer range than paintball. Grouping up into a column formation (for example) makes for an easy target at paintball range, but slightly harder to hit at the long ranges of real firearms. Formations are designed not as a combat measure, but rather a way to keep control of your troops; no-one gets lost/separated in thick brush, and NCO's can make sure everyone is scanning their assigned sector for potential threats. Once the shooting starts, rigid formations scatter into the nearest available hard-point (cover). It's not the battle of Lexington, we aren't required to stay in ranks and fire volleys (....unless that's the scenario you are playing...). Some things that can be easily adapted are MOUT (mobile operations in urban environment, some people call CQC) tactics. Clearing buildings, stacking up, ect. Battle Drills are another easy switch over, react to ambush, assaulting an objective, "popping smoke" aka withdrawal under fire.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users