Special Ops Paintball: Why don't all marker manufactorer put a safety on their markers? - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why don't all marker manufactorer put a safety on their markers? And what happened to teaching kids basic gun safety?

#46 User is offline   jmsiona 

• my milkshake
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:JMSIONA

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

yea i got shot from a foot away in the face one time, it didnt hurt, because i was starting to put my mask down and it half grazed my mask and half nicked my face.

I have taken a hunters saftey course.. it really helped, maybe paintball fields could have a couple hour saftey course every week or so. charge 20 bucks?

It would make the sport safer for us non noobs

#47 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

One thing I have learned in the last three years of riding motocross and playing paintball: poo happens. No matter what, at least once a week, somewhere somehow something is gonna go wrong eventually. Even something as small as having a safety on every paintball marker ever made would probably save at least 1,000 people a day from getting injured by a close range paintball. I remember the first day my friend got his Ion; he shot me in the foot twice that day walking next to me with his gun by his side, switched on of course.

#48 User is offline   jmsiona 

• my milkshake
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

i got shot in the face once, from a foot away.

Hurt like a mother, i shot the kid at least 25 times after that..

#49 User is offline   Monoxide 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Monoxide

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

Wear a mask next time? Lol?

#50 User is offline   jmsiona 

• my milkshake
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

i had my mask, we were sitting there talking, luckily i started putting it down a little bit.so half of it hit my mask, but the other half hit my face..

#51 User is offline   MAD DOK! 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MAD DOK!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

Not really a necropost, but I just wanna say, all guns have safety mechanisms, whether it be a mechanical safety of a on/off switch.

Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem,
Quoniqm cum probates fuerit accipient coronam vitae.

#52 User is offline   DFB 

• Future Occupation - Professional Shark Wrestler.
  • PipPip

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Uhh... Turn it off? It doesn't take really lnog to turn it on or off.

-DFB
PBreview I s Y o u r F r i e n d

#53 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

People seem to have problems remembering to switch their marker off; also, it's easier to see a safety. Electros should have an on/off switch instead of a button, that way people wouldn't be too lazy to hold the button down for a few seconds.

#54 User is offline   TylerSniper 

• Paintball Coward
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:CAT BONE

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

View Postfoodawg, on Apr 30 2007, 12:40 PM, said:

What gets me is how sensitive the kids gun was. No one appeared to touch the trigger and it discharged.

The main point of my rant was really about how no one teaches general gun safety anymore and apparently that is ok with industry, which quit putting safeties on certain types of markers.

Even in battle or high risk situations (such as police entries), you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are going to fire. Yet these kids fingers are always on the trigger.

No wonder I've been popped in the back before by some of these little turds! Until Saturday, I thought it was a fairly isolated even. But it appears it is way more common that I previously believed.

And when you try to teach them some safety, they basically tell you to get lost (but in not so nice language).

I guess that's what we get for constantly telling our kids that their special and can do anything. Yeah...you're special alright! Just like everyone else.

What? You don't have to get your finger off the trigger? Oh. Hey kid...put you barrel bag on and go to the dead box! Why? Because...POP! There appears to be a stain on your shirt that looks suspiciously like a paintball busted. Hmmm..... Oh...and thanks for shootin' a few of your own team mates!

I know what you mean, my cousin has the SAME GUN.
Or at least really close.
You just have to touch the triger and it goes off.
When you hand it over to somebody (It's electronic so you have to go on and off and there is no saftey) they end up shooting it while grabbing it.
When he handed it to me I shot and missed his ear by an inch.
"Paintball in the Olympics? F*** no but if it was I'd watch."

#55 User is offline   Los 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

IMO all markers should have easily identifiable safeties for both you and anyone standing around you to tell it's on safe. (Have seen enough real guys shot in my day on purpose and by accident) With regard to finger off trigger I've noticed that it's ergonomically a little more difficult with a double trigger particularly with a younger kid w/ smaller hands. I prefer a physical safety like the one on my X7 or Tippman 98 over an electrical safety. At least on something like an MR2 you have a switch (but it's positioning is such that it can be easily switched on by accident.) I don't like the stock ion's on off switch, it's something that you have to actually look at and fiddle with the ensure it's off. (No aural or physical feedback that it's engaged) On an X7 or an A5 you now it's off without even having to look at it and it can be turned on and off immediately to engage, similar to a real M16 or M4.

Of course first and foremost the rules followed must be the common sense rules posted earlier about trigger finger, muzzle awarenes etc, but good safety is something that is layered on to mitigate risk (Training, physical systems, field layout, refs that are aware etc. ) I am often mortified by the poor sfaety you see at many events. The notion that having a real safety on a marker gets in the way of engagement is UTTER HOGWASH, try familiarization and training. There's a reason why real military weapons have safeties, it's been learnt the hard way. Even in combat you don't run around with your weapon of safe until it's time to engage unless you want a serious boot in your butt or buttstroke about the back of your head by your NCO...

Los

#56 User is offline   zWarlord 

• Thought Police
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:zWarlord

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

You will find that an easy on/off button for electro pneumatics would cause more problems that it solves. For example: You make a superman over a bunker and bump the switch, you will never notice it. You post out of your bunker at that point to prevent a run by, but nothing happens because the marker turned off.
That would cause the end of that marker lines popularity in a heartbeat.
Also lets not forget, some electros do have a safe mode where the marker will not fire and the marker is still on.
Proud USF Bull

I am but a lifeguard in the human gene pool

#57 User is offline   207 

• the enemy
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:[analog]

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

personally, i think that mechanical "hard" safeties like on mech guns would not work on electros, because of the trigger design, but i would like to see something like a slider switch near the trigger, like right to the side of it, in the trigger gaurd, so it wouldnt get bumped on, but you would notice it and turn it on while leaving. then you wouldnt have to worry about your gun turning on in the pits and blowing out a barrel bag on ramping.

i hope that as guns advance, and blu-ray becomes more commonplace in equipment, systems are developed both for diagnostics for legalities, and so that when a marker leaves the field, it would leave a "zone" and turns off automatically, so players would just bag up and walk off, not worrying about on/off and safeties all together.
It is beautiful when a brave man of the front ranks falls and dies, battling for his homeland.
Young men, fight shield to shield and never succumb to panic or miserable flight, but steel the heart in your chests with magnificence and courage. Forget your own life when you grapple with the enemy.

λ

#58 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

L2useyergun :P
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#59 User is offline   VVulfe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Post icon  Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

View PostBielerga, on Apr 30 2007, 03:47 PM, said:

glock?

Just a quick aside: Glock Pistols _do_ have a safety mechanism. It's a three piece system - a trigger safety, a striker safety and a drop safety. Until the trigger lever is depressed, the trigger won't move. At the point where the lever is depressed and the trigger moves, the striker safety and drop safety are withdrawn and the gun may fire.

Granted, unlike a push safety or other similar devices, it doesn't prevent the shooter from accidentally discharging the weapon by mistakenly pressing the trigger. But, unless the trigger is very delibrately squeezed, the gun won't go off.

Random factoid of the day.

#60 User is offline   grenades 

• i rock ^ bow to me (and puzz)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:grenader

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

electros dont always have safetys because you have to turn the gun on so it can work
the game of paintball started in the woods. Its easy to remember thats were your game ended.(xx)
If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users