Special Ops Paintball: sorting your paint by size - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

sorting your paint by size why you should Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Sorting Paint (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you sort your paint by size?

1. No. (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

2. Yes, a few balls per bag/case to give me an idea of size. (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Yes, more than a few paintballs per bag/case. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes, all of my paint, every last ball, sorted by size. (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. The ubiquitous "other." (please explain below) (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

Meh, I don't want any stress on my balls if you catch my drift. Lol.

#17 User is offline   PhantomWookie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

View Postcjottawa, on Sep 2 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

This isn't an issue of roll-outs. It applies to open-bolt markers as well. Matched paint shoots more consistently, period.

Actually some studies have shown that underboring and overboring (to some extent) are actually more consistent than matched paint. I think matched paint still gets better groupings though, which seams to go against the idea that better consistency= better groupings.

I think it's because matched paint fluctuates between barely touching the barrel and loosing contact with it (not being 100% round) ,while the others face more consistent friction. However this consistent friction may allow the ball's unperfect shape to cause more spin in underboring (severe or slight underboring might fix this), and gravitate to one side and bounce with overboring (this may not actually happen with a .001-.002 larger bore where some people have claimed to get the best accuracy ever).

My guess would be a .001 larger bore size with a very consistent reg would give you the best accuracy. I have yet to test it though.

#18 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:40 AM

View PostPhantomWookie, on Sep 5 2009, 02:39 PM, said:

This isn't an issue of roll-outs. It applies to open-bolt markers as well. Matched paint shoots more consistently, period.

Actually some studies have shown that underboring and overboring (to some extent) are actually more consistent than matched paint...

Cite your sources.

I will accept that using slightly "tight" barrels will allow for a better seal than other options. My statement about "matched paint" meant that a set of identical paintballs will shoot more consistently than a set of mismatched ones.

#19 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

There is no such thing as identical paintballs.

#20 User is offline   PhantomWookie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

View Postcjottawa, on Sep 6 2009, 06:40 AM, said:

View PostPhantomWookie, on Sep 5 2009, 02:39 PM, said:

Actually some studies have shown that underboring and overboring (to some extent) are actually more consistent than matched paint...

Cite your sources.

I will accept that using slightly "tight" barrels will allow for a better seal than other options. My statement about "matched paint" meant that a set of identical paintballs will shoot more consistently than a set of mismatched ones.

My wording did seem to suggest I disagree completely, but I meant that I'm unsure, because I've seen support for both theories. That's why I said " some ". One of the most notable examples is the study done by "cockerpunk" you can find a discussion about it on our forums right here (go down 2/3 the page) and other places around our forums.

I will say that I do think that matched paint (which I've always take to mean using paint with the average size being equal to the barrel bore size) does make a good case for accuracy against under and overboring.

Oh, and my guess that a .001 larger bore size would be best, I take it back. I said that because I've read of people who individually sized and tested there paint (can't find source right now, I'll keep looking for it) found the best accuracy when the paint just barely slid out by its self. I took this to mean a .001 larger barrel bore, but I think paint that has the exact same size as the inner bore (and it almost never is) of the barrel would actually do this because techniquely it would have to be slightly larger than the inner diameter to make enough contact to get just barely stuck, like in the blow through test.

This post has been edited by PhantomWookie: 06 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

#21 User is offline   Jones 

• Isaiah 6:8
  • PipPip

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Well i don't know about what is more accurate and all this but i do check every single paintball i use. But that is just cause i check them as i load them into my longbow mags. lol I just check for lumps and dimples. This has served me well so far. I don't ever have a ball that just goes totally nuts, and i'm just using an all american barrel.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users