Special Ops Paintball: Rec-ball - woodsball field rules - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rec-ball - woodsball field rules RULES (and radicals)THAT IRRITATE YOU MOST Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#31 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

View Postchasbronson, on 10 April 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

Question #1 Players: What rules, field regulations,field policies,operating policies,really bug you?Be specific.

Question #2 Field owners:What customer personalities,conflagurations,idiosynchrosies,and downright ridiculous attitudes bug you? Be specific.

Question #1:
  • Field Paint Only
  • Having to pay for air fills per fill up.
  • Crappy parking areas (like, a mound of uneven dirt)...some of us have 'cars', not Gravedigger.
  • Free for All mentality...realize that there are "levels" of players and if you throw noobs in with the elite players, they get lit up and don't want to play anymore. Not a good business move. Try divisions where you limit things. Class A: OPEN, Class B: Non-electronic markers. If there's Class B players and a couple Class A players show up, tell them to play agaisnt each other or provide am a free mechanical rental. Warning though, that's when you'll see the "basa$$es" cry because even though the "marker doesn't make the player", for some reason all the Agg guys that show up with $2000 firepower get pretty scared when the playing field is leveled.
  • Have enough tables for crying outloud! You expect 50 people and you got 2 picnic tables in your ready area!??
  • How bout decent driving direction? Paintball fields are notorious for giving drivin directions like, "Take US-5 to Montabello Rd. Turn right, go over the railroad tracks, look for a red sign that has fallen over in a bush...30 seconds after that you'll see a large tree...turn there and go to the right of the tree and you'll see the field behind a barn."
  • Have at least one guy on your staff that can make "moderate" repairs to markers. If all your refs can't figure out how to work an allen wrench, it's gonna be a long day.
  • And refs, don't yell. You're like 16 years old...yelling at grown men. Not cool. I'm not saying don't enforce the rules, but I'd rather have my card punched and a guy calmly say why than being *****ed out my a punk.

Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#32 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 15 April 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

View Postchasbronson, on 10 April 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

Question #1 Players: What rules, field regulations,field policies,operating policies,really bug you?Be specific.

Question #2 Field owners:What customer personalities,conflagurations,idiosynchrosies,and downright ridiculous attitudes bug you? Be specific.

Question #1:
  • Field Paint Only
  • Having to pay for air fills per fill up.
  • Crappy parking areas (like, a mound of uneven dirt)...some of us have 'cars', not Gravedigger.
  • Free for All mentality...realize that there are "levels" of players and if you throw noobs in with the elite players, they get lit up and don't want to play anymore. Not a good business move. Try divisions where you limit things. Class A: OPEN, Class B: Non-electronic markers. If there's Class B players and a couple Class A players show up, tell them to play agaisnt each other or provide am a free mechanical rental. Warning though, that's when you'll see the "basa$$es" cry because even though the "marker doesn't make the player", for some reason all the Agg guys that show up with $2000 firepower get pretty scared when the playing field is leveled.
  • Have enough tables for crying outloud! You expect 50 people and you got 2 picnic tables in your ready area!??
  • How bout decent driving direction? Paintball fields are notorious for giving drivin directions like, "Take US-5 to Montabello Rd. Turn right, go over the railroad tracks, look for a red sign that has fallen over in a bush...30 seconds after that you'll see a large tree...turn there and go to the right of the tree and you'll see the field behind a barn."
  • Have at least one guy on your staff that can make "moderate" repairs to markers. If all your refs can't figure out how to work an allen wrench, it's gonna be a long day.
  • And refs, don't yell. You're like 16 years old...yelling at grown men. Not cool. I'm not saying don't enforce the rules, but I'd rather have my card punched and a guy calmly say why than being *****ed out my a punk.

I have seen some "fields" that have four pallets and a few wood piles in the woods and call themselves a field. I would be ashamed to charge anyone for that.People pay it though .I don't know why.Thanks for your input .THESE ARE THE THINGS WE NEED TO HEAR. Is everyone else too chicken to speak up?? Don't be. Come on guys and girls .Start spillen your guts.Now is your chance.Don't be shy.

#33 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

View Postger, on 15 April 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

View Postchasbronson, on 14 April 2011 - 11:53 PM, said:

We have a "fire at Will policy too, but he only shows up once a month or so.

Brilliant :tup:

On topic, sort of...
  • Someone else mentioned it but I'll reinforce: Refs. The worst games I ever played were because the refs were horrible. You can have a great group of players but if the refs are idiots the games will suffer. You can have a horrible group of players but great refs & games can work fine. Disclaimer: If I'm not mistaken you have a family run field so I'm not insulting your family, lol.
  • Along w/ the refs being on top of things is safety. If you have younger kids coming to play, their parents need to know they aren't going to lose an eye while playing paintball. Our field has a rule that is very strictly enforced regarding barrel bags - anytime a mask is off the bag better be on. The phrase "socks and safties!" is yelled out by every ref & many players at the end of game horn. Players inevitably walk around w/ their bbd in their pocket & they are quickly reminded to use it.

So in my mind as a player, my biggest pet peeves have been poor safety & the poor refs who don't do their jobs.

As far as actual field rules...
  • I was at this one place once that had a paint check rule. It's intent was certainly to protect players from getting overshot but it was poorly executed. Case in point: We were playing a capture the flag game w/ about 20 on 20. I had worked my way up the field thru some underbrush & found three guys hiding behind a fallen tree on the other side of a creek defending their flags left flank. I got myself in a position about 50' away to take out all three so I fired maybe only 4-5 shots & a ref watching the situation threw his hands up & ran in to do a paint check. I had hit only 2 of them so after a short exchange I eliminated the third. I get he wanted to protect them from getting lit up but he basically stopped me from firing before the balls even hit them.
  • This same place allowed blind-firing. So on one hand they were overprotective of players getting overshot, but allowed anyone to "fire at will" around a corner not knowing if or how much they were hitting someone which could mean that the other player is being overshot. Logical? Not really.

So in my mind as a player, my least favorite rules have been a poor paint check rule & blind-firing allowed.

Side note: The bunker rule at our field is pretty liberal, you can yell "bunker" to a player but it's their option if they want to take it or go Rambo & try to shoot you. I can yell it from 100' away or 10' away, it's still the other players option to take it. If one or both players don't realize the other is there, a ref can call a mandatory bunker on one or both players when they get close if he feels it could get ugly. Most guys appreciate the "bunker" offer, if from another player or a ref saving them from getting lit at close range.

Our refs are there mostly to encourage players and to intervene when someone is being taken advantage of.otherwise they don't intervene on someone getting shot.The surrender rule lies with the discretion of the surrenderee.At any point they feel threatened they can put their gun up and surrender.We ask at the beginning who is not going to surrender so those raising their hands will not recieve quarter. Field owners need to instill and demand players treat each other with repect. Our field requires it.I don't understand the no blind firing rule.We had a guy moan and groan about that one day when someone shot him out.We tell players at orientation to know where your balls are going,no blind firing.This guy was in a bunker (playing hard,doing good)an opposing team member made his way to the bunker and was jumping up and down firing in the window (the second floor)from the ground.The guy got mad because he said the opposing team member was blind firing.The guy in the bunker was fine as long as he was hammering everyone else.I thought the opposing team member fairly won the battle.He knew where his balls were going and the guy in the castle wasn't calling out ,or surrender,and he raised his hand at orientation. Would you care to elaborate on your take on blind firing, because it could mean a couple of things.Thanks

#34 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostSupergyro, on 15 April 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

View PostThe Stuntman, on 15 April 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

4. No "born on" dating on paint. If they can do it with beer, why not cartons of paintballs?

This is brilliant. I an totally dumbfounded that no one has ever thought of this before.

I agree.

As far as peevs go:
1.Wipers (obviously)

2.Barrel Plugs. I love barrel bags, but I hate barrel plugs. They don't stop a paintball, or they shoot out of the barrel. Case in point: This kid shows up with his spyder and he's dorking around while everybody is getting signed up, and somehow his safety came off and he shot his barrel plug out and into the safe area and hit this other kid in the leg. (He got a big chew out and a barrel sock.)

Its not if there is an accidental discharge,its when, it happens to everyone .Barrel covers or put it and keep it in your pocket.

#35 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

View PostFear the Reaper, on 15 April 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

I run my own field "outlaw" style, started about 5 years ago with 7 of us, and today we average over 30 per day.

My pet peeves are the following. Although none are really that big of a deal. I just enjoy having fun and these are things that start to make it seem like a "job" instead of a fun time with friends.

1. Be on time. Nothing is worse than having 30 guys all chrono'd broken into teams and that one van pulls up with 8 guys that are all late... Now I have to chrono all those guns, and divide into teams again and go over the rules again... You being late just cost us at least 2 games of play.

2. Read my email, the entire thing. I wrote it with all the rules so you would know the rules BEFORE you came to play. I can't believe how many people can't read 3 pages of text. And the regulars get irritated if you break rules that you should have read, or listened to when the rules were covered before the games.

3. spyder paintball guns. Why is it that even with the screw all the way out so that it FALLS out it still shoots over 300 fps. And no, they don't work below freezing.

4. No "born on" dating on paint. If they can do it with beer, why not cartons of paintballs?

5. ebay and craigslist... Seems like every "modified" gun that comes to my field that was purchased on ebay/craigslist doesn't work. So you have a guy all excited to try out his decked out marker and nothing... or it leaks like crazy.

6. Keep your mask on... Is it really that hard. Last game a kid ran toward the flag, and was lit up by 5 people who were guarding the base... He yelled out and ripped off his mask!

Come on put your mask on, as there is paint in the air.

7. Wear a cup. Seriously, ask a doctor, and he will tell you the importance of wearing protection. They see people all the time with serious damage from paintball and seems like everyone is too 'cool' to wear a cup.

I feel your pain we see all of these except #7 We never got that personal.We cut many spider springs down just to help keep people playing.

#36 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

Simply put - blindfire is the act of firing blindly. In other words, shooting your marker but not knowing where (or what) you are shooting.

Our fields rule states that you have to have a line of sight down the marker while pulling the trigger. I can't hide behind a bunker & stick my marker out firing away without being able to see what I'm shooting at.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#37 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

View Postger, on 15 April 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

Simply put - blindfire is the act of firing blindly. In other words, shooting your marker but not knowing where (or what) you are shooting.

Our fields rule states that you have to have a line of sight down the marker while pulling the trigger. I can't hide behind a bunker & stick my marker out firing away without being able to see what I'm shooting at.

Boy, are we guilty of that! If somone from an opposing bunker is firing at me,I'll see where the fire is coming from,and I will stick my marker out around the corner and lay down some fire then swich hands and fire out the other side to keep them going back and forth.I know the general direction I'm shooting because I periodically check,but Im not sticking my head out there long enough to "keep my head behind the gun" at all times.We play real battle rules and there is no way any soldier is sticking his neck out.We strive to make the experience as less legalistic as possible.It is not fun and a pain in the rear to try and ref. Thanks for your input.Now I know why he was belly aching.

#38 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

View Postchasbronson, on 15 April 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

This is brilliant. I an totally dumbfounded that no one has ever thought of this before.

I agree.

As far as peevs go:
1.Wipers (obviously)

2.Barrel Plugs. I love barrel bags, but I hate barrel plugs. They don't stop a paintball, or they shoot out of the barrel. Case in point: This kid shows up with his spyder and he's dorking around while everybody is getting signed up, and somehow his safety came off and he shot his barrel plug out and into the safe area and hit this other kid in the leg. (He got a big chew out and a barrel sock.)

Its not if there is an accidental discharge,its when, it happens to everyone .Barrel covers or put it and keep it in your pocket.

What? I don't quite get what you're trying to say.
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#39 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

From an operational stand point..

Field paint only is the best way to go at fields where that have THEMED fields.
where i work, pretty much everything has been hand made, all the fields are fully themed, extremely fun to play, and are ALL CLEANED during the weekday. DXS paint is the EASIEST paint to clean off on the market today. we got a case of "test" paint from empire a while ago, i used it personally, and cleaned the fields the following day.. the paint was breaking in the marker, and took a little more effort to clean with the power washer then the DXS paint.

now could it have been a bad case? probably.. but were not going to spend more money buying several different cases of paint to try, because we already know DXS is the best, and ive recently noticed some issues in quality control from Kee..

now fields that are mainly straight up woods, with crate style bunkers, log and stick bunkers.. have no reason to charge anything over 60 a case, unless if your the only field around for 100 miles and want to be a butthead and make a ton of money off your customers. recently one of the fields out here charged $90 a case, their fields were crappy, not really maintained, the entrance road is by far one of the worse roads my car has ever been on, their staging area is never cleaned, paintballs all over the place, it smelled horrible, and their 1 port a potty was cleaned maybe once or twice a month. would i play at the place again? No.. although they did recently come out with 2 more different grades of paint they will have at the field, and in general lowered there cost, but thats because they want to keep people coming in and playing, since the field i work for is within a half hour of theirs.

thing is, people should expect a unique experience when they pay top dollar for a day of paintball, fields that provide that experience, have the right to charge a little bit more.

fields that can barely even maintain their property, and have top notch staff.. either need to lower their cost, or go BYOP.

in this world you get what you pay for.. no body is going to want to pay a $15-$20 entrance / air charge and then get stiffed with $90 a case, and play at a dump that has no running water, proper facilties, and a haggard staging area.

as far as rules and what not that go to general playing.. we offer 2 different levels of play.. the open beginner group (where a strict 10 ft rule is enforced, a bunker tap kill, and semi's only) and a open advanced player group, where the decision is left to the players before each game to decide, and we also allow them to use select firing modes if they want too. we try to build the game around the players, and if their is something they want and can all agree on, we will cater to their request. What really made us want to do that is when we play against eachother at different fields, they strictly enforce a 10 ft rule, no barrel tagging or anything.. to us its like giving a kid a piece of his favorite cake, but only allowing him to eat the spoungy part, and not the frosting.. and when we talked to a bunch of people about this.. they agree'd that more advanced players should be allowed to get closer then 10 feet of another player if the skill level is the same. Now nothing is perfect in this world, it just up to the fields to do what they can do for their customers, and its every customers right to get what they pay for.

ive bored you enough..

done.
(edits sig)
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#40 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

View PostSupergyro, on 15 April 2011 - 10:40 PM, said:

View Postchasbronson, on 15 April 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

I agree.

As far as peevs go:
1.Wipers (obviously)

What? I don't quite get what you're trying to say.

I agree barrel covers are a must.Accidental discharge happens to everyone at some point.People still moan,"but my hopper is empty".So, put your barrell cover on."I don't have one".Well we sell them."I don't have anymore money".Well put your barrel in your pocket then while in the staging area.

#41 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

View PostThumper113, on 16 April 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

From an operational stand point..

Field paint only is the best way to go at fields where that have THEMED fields.
where i work, pretty much everything has been hand made, all the fields are fully themed, extremely fun to play, and are ALL CLEANED during the weekday. DXS paint is the EASIEST paint to clean off on the market today. we got a case of "test" paint from empire a while ago, i used it personally, and cleaned the fields the following day.. the paint was breaking in the marker, and took a little more effort to clean with the power washer then the DXS paint.

now could it have been a bad case? probably.. but were not going to spend more money buying several different cases of paint to try, because we already know DXS is the best, and ive recently noticed some issues in quality control from Kee..

now fields that are mainly straight up woods, with crate style bunkers, log and stick bunkers.. have no reason to charge anything over 60 a case, unless if your the only field around for 100 miles and want to be a butthead and make a ton of money off your customers. recently one of the fields out here charged $90 a case, their fields were crappy, not really maintained, the entrance road is by far one of the worse roads my car has ever been on, their staging area is never cleaned, paintballs all over the place, it smelled horrible, and their 1 port a potty was cleaned maybe once or twice a month. would i play at the place again? No.. although they did recently come out with 2 more different grades of paint they will have at the field, and in general lowered there cost, but thats because they want to keep people coming in and playing, since the field i work for is within a half hour of theirs.

thing is, people should expect a unique experience when they pay top dollar for a day of paintball, fields that provide that experience, have the right to charge a little bit more.

fields that can barely even maintain their property, and have top notch staff.. either need to lower their cost, or go BYOP.

in this world you get what you pay for.. no body is going to want to pay a $15-$20 entrance / air charge and then get stiffed with $90 a case, and play at a dump that has no running water, proper facilties, and a haggard staging area.

as far as rules and what not that go to general playing.. we offer 2 different levels of play.. the open beginner group (where a strict 10 ft rule is enforced, a bunker tap kill, and semi's only) and a open advanced player group, where the decision is left to the players before each game to decide, and we also allow them to use select firing modes if they want too. we try to build the game around the players, and if their is something they want and can all agree on, we will cater to their request. What really made us want to do that is when we play against eachother at different fields, they strictly enforce a 10 ft rule, no barrel tagging or anything.. to us its like giving a kid a piece of his favorite cake, but only allowing him to eat the spoungy part, and not the frosting.. and when we talked to a bunch of people about this.. they agree'd that more advanced players should be allowed to get closer then 10 feet of another player if the skill level is the same. Now nothing is perfect in this world, it just up to the fields to do what they can do for their customers, and its every customers right to get what they pay for.

ive bored you enough..

done.
(edits sig)

Draxxus is better than rps paint anyday.$90 is robbery.It is good to let the money paying customer decide.Thanks for the input.Most people don't realize how much work is involved in a good field,in order to bring the sport of paintball to them.

#42 User is offline   MadMaverick 

• The Pumpinator!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SCP Pump Chumps

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

new here, but not to paintball, and this is a GREAT topic, and some awesome input. ill add my 2 cents and apologize in advance for length, as im passionate about these topics, and my comments are mostly relevant to big events rather than day play.
this in no way is added to criticize or insult anyone, just an honest review of what appear to be standard practices, at least down here in the mosquito state...

peeves:

Lack of available chronographs: I know new players and kids like to shoot the chronos, but that the cost of doing business, and it doesn't cost much to get a 14 year old to sit by the chrono, make sure all players are dialed in, and show new ones how it all works. Removing chronos and using the excuse that "people shoot them" is unacceptable, and Ive lost count of the number of times ive heard that from field staff over the years. I was at a field recently and they didnt have a chrono out, HOWEVER, as I was at the range (where a chrono shouldve been) a ref literally ran over with a hand chrono, explained their big red was out, and checked my marker with his pocket chrono. That is a culture of safety which should be applauded. ofcourse they shouldve had a back up big red, but they were handling the lapse professionally. Ive found fields that dont chrono regularly, or dont have them out except at the beginning of the day, do not have a "culture" of safety. that attitude also infects other fields when those players go elsewhere, those are the ones found shooting hot... so put a chrono out, stick it in a plexi box and chain it down if your worried about it... but have out , all the time, and your field will be so much safer and the players will have a constant tool and reminder to keep things safe. I shouldn't have to bring my own chrono, though i usually do. if i have to actually use it at your field and there isnt a special circumstance (long lines, mishap, etc.), chances are im not coming back.

Have a BYOP Day once in awhile: I support FPO fields, I think most <adult> players understand that fields need to be able to pay the bills, but i also end up with extra paint everytime. Ive only been back in the game for a few months, and ive already got a full case of extra paint left over from three events. If every field had a BYOP day once a quarter or so, i think it would boost their reputation and appreciation of their players. im sure there are still some fields that do this, but it should be a standard, not an exception. Id even go for a mini scenario where you charge me a few more bucks , but let me blow off my old paint a few times a year. And fer gads sake, let me buy a half case or even a 500 bag at your scenario if you don't do that now. you can even up the per ball cost a little , ill gladly pay it if it means i wont be lugging half a case of paint or more home. youll be able to sell the split cases, most fields worry theyll run short anyway these days from what i hear...

AIR/CO2 Fills: Get back to the one rate deal please, just charge :X: dollars, dont charge me another added fee for all day air. I know bulk co2 has gone up, and compressors are expensive , but im seeing this extra $10 or so for all day air on top of greens fees at big events now and its silly.. just add em together and charge me one price. I fill my own tanks, or use 12 grams half the time anyhow, but im still going to pay your field for the air, because thats the right thing to do, even though technically i could decline that extra fee, but then your be looking at me like "is he using my co2? he didn't pay for that..." not worth it, make it simple people...

Specialty paint: Make your policy clear, especially in scenarios and big games, Can I use that bag of tracer rounds(glow balls), first strikes, or paint granades ive had around forever in the game and what do i need to do to get permission? itll enhance your game and make things more fun, but no one has an answer when i ask, theres nothing in the rules on your field website, and the last thing i want to do is tick off the field staff so the fun stuff gets left home. let me buy a special permit for a few extra bucks or something ...

Directions: A little bit back I spent 45 minutes looking for a field that was 15 minutes from my home (that id never been too before) because the online directions were missing a street you have to turn on in order to get to the field. i arrived late and ticked off, not a good start. please have excellent directions, a good map and a cell phone at the field i can call if i get lost on the way. In the same category, if you print a flyer for a special event, please at least point me a web page where the game rules are, let me know what accommodations are available (can i camp on site? are there flush bathrooms or porta potties?, potable water available? food? ) I shouldn't need to email or call to find out basics, and itll save the field time as well , less questions to answer. you dont need to have these amenities, but communicating where they can be found if you aren't providing them is still a huge plus.

As field owners the answers to these questions may be obvious, because you are familiar with your set up. But to someone who's never been to your field, these can be a big deal and you can make their experience much more pleasant and them want to return, with just a bit of forethought.

Fields that push rapid game turnarounds. I like to play, im old but i still dont need 45 rest between games, I feel a little cheated if ive just spent $100 to play at your field and i only get four games in all day... Bravo for any field that has their refs pushing for quick turnarounds, we can rest a bit more after back to back games, but keep things moving.

Fields that have chronos out all the time (see peeves above)

Fields that have great ads and clear and concise directions, rules, and f.a.q.s and update your web site weekly please, its great that you had a big game two months ago, but its over now, put something else up on your home page.

Clear Fees descriptions. if youve got promo going on, make sure the people on the field know about them (see update website above)

Rotate your fields, keep the locals humble: its awesome youve got a home team and loyal core group of players, but your not going to build on that if that core group is able to use their advantage to wipe out the newbs every time. get rid of the home team advantage , or keep them out of open play on walk on days. they can be very bad for your business even if their a constant income source for you. Fields that keep the 25bps shooters away from the walk ons with the rentals get a huge thumbs up from me.

fields that always have drinking water available get a hug thumbs up: even if its just a big thermos and they have to stick their head under it, or its a hose. nothings a bigger turnoff than no water on a hot day and $3.50 for a bottle of supermarket water. most will probably buy your cold water anyway if its reasonable, but some kids just spent all there allowance just to play, give them some water please...

Formatted games are also a plus: elimination is fun, but throw out a flag every so often, change things up, make it even more fun, the players will remember...

thats all i got for now, i warned you it would be long but hopefully it will be helpful.
Maverick
Paintin People since 1985, are YOU next?
http://www.stockclasspaintball.com/
SCP On Facebook

#43 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

View Postchasbronson, on 16 April 2011 - 12:04 AM, said:

Would you care to elaborate on your take on blind firing, because it could mean a couple of things.Thanks

To me, blind firing rules are there to protect refs and people who are in the dead zone. I don't mind it very much when players blind fire. Sometimes there is a fine line between blind fire and snap shooting. Where it gets rediculous is when you have a new player that is too afraid so he sits behind a bunker and keeps popping his marker up and randomly shooting in every direction. I don't care so much, I just see it as him wasting paint and not knowing where I am...which means he'll soon be eliminated. I care less getting shot out that way than off the break by a longball that hits my shoe.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#44 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

View PostMadMaverick, on 26 April 2011 - 11:13 AM, said:

Ive found fields that dont chrono regularly, or dont have them out except at the beginning of the day, do not have a "culture" of safety. that attitude also infects other fields when those players go elsewhere, those are the ones found shooting hot...

I've noticed that dangerous trend as well. It used to be that you had to chrono and get a piece of tape that said you were chronoed. And mid-day, you had to chrono again. Some fields do an even better job by doing random chrono checks on the field with hand helds. But I've noticed the recent trend in worsening field safety where fields pretty much just tell people to chrono before the game but never really care if they do or not, have no way of knowing, and sometimes don't even give you enough time to do it.

I've actually heard on more than one occasion, players (usually the younger speedball folks or the field "regulars") talking amongst themselves saying things like, "I'm not gonna chrono unless I have to because I got mine set high for distance" or "I hope they don't make us chrono because I know I'm shooting hot". When I hear this stuff, I tell a ref...if that makes me an *-hole than so be it. But there's just too much risk when people have the velocity cranked up:

• Risk of shooting so hot you can crack goggles
  • Risking shooting hot and hurting a noob bad enough that they decide paintball hurts too much and they don't play anymore.
  • The fact that you have an unfair advantage (cheating).
  • And, the chance that you shoot me hot, which will make me angry, which will result in me losing my temper and potentially smacking someone...which doesn NOT make for a very good paintballing experience for Me or Them.

And there's no reason for it. Have I ever went out on the field after chronoing, knowing that my gun was "slightly" over...maybe 289-291. Sure, I guess. But have I ever jacked my marker up to 300 and went out on the field? Absolutely not. Most fields require 280-285, I usually chrono in at between 267-291. If my marker is being "good", I might get it to sit right there at 279-281. If it's being a "jerk", then it'll fluctuate and I'll be somewhere in the 267-291 range. I only have one marker that I've ever "intentionally" shot hot with, and that's my BRUTE pump because I can't change the velocity on it. So it'll shoot around 290 or so and there's nothing I can do about it. I've only used it in outback games and probably a total of 1-2 times in 10+ years. And I consider a "pump" less of a problem shooting hot because you're only getting shot "once" by it. You're not getting hit 5-6 times per pop.

#45 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Welcome to the Forums MadMav... glad to have you here!

You brought up a good point that I'd like to reinforce... chrono range.

1. Have a chrono available all the time
2. Have a designated range for it

A field I was at a few years ago was a pretty small operation that probably wasn't used to large groups (80-100 of us total), but they did have an abundance of rentals & hpa fills so they weren't too unprepared. They had only one Big Red w/ ref standing at it, again... a small field. The "range" was not sectioned off at all, you were shooting out into the woods near the staging area in the direction of the field entrance. I use "entrance" liberally because it was just a trail back to a couple of areas. Once everyone was chrono'd at the start of the day, the chrono went away never to be seen again. They allowed some target practice in a separate area near staging where you could shoot across a ravine, but again no real boundaries & no rules for masks/bbd's.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users