Special Ops Paintball: Is smart parts a good company? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is smart parts a good company?

Poll: Is Smart Parts a good company? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Smart Parts a good company?

1. Yes (22 votes [53.66%])

Percentage of vote: 53.66%

2. I don't know (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

3. No (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Striker2012 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Snipa Strika

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

I own a tippmann 98c and was looking to buy a sp-1 but have seen a lot of people talking crap about Smart Parts and was not sure if i should but a Smart Parts gun.
Also I'm thinking about buying a proto 1-piece barrel for it if I get it and I would like comments and other barrel suggestions on that.

This post has been edited by Striker2012: 15 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

#2 User is offline   chro 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:16 AM

View PostStriker2012, on Oct 15 2008, 10:04 AM, said:

I own a tippmann 98c and was looking to buy a sp-1 but have seen a lot of people talking crap about Smart Parts and was not sure if i should but a Smart Parts gun.
Also I'm thinking about buying a proto 1-piece barrel for it if I get it and I would like comments and other barrel suggestions on that.

I had to vote IDK because I would have to say as a company, that I dislike Smart Parts, for their actions in the past (namely lawsuits)

HOWEVER

I would argue that their products are great, markers etc, and would serve you well in the field, my ion has NEVER failed me in any way.

#3 User is offline   stshadow 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

I have 3 Tippmann markers and they are very nice but after I got my Small parts SP-8 my tipps are on the wall more than they are in field..

#4 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

A bad company with good products.
Something of a shoppers dilemma...

#5 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

Not a fan of SP for many reasons, as mentioned above, and I'm not a fan of the SP-1 because the words "inexpensive electropneumo" is a contradiction in terms, as is "cheap tourney gun". After buying an Ion or SP-1 and then spending all the $$$ on upgrades you may or may not need, you'd honestly be better off going in another direction. Their higher-end guns are OK, but personally, while I like some of their barrels, I wouldn't give them my business for all the crap they've pulled over the years.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#6 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

SP are revolutionary. With that comes patents. They rocked the industry often with new developements (shocker 4x4, SFT, ion, Vibe, freak kit.) This forces other companies to improve or get out. Some companies try to improve by ripping off patent ideas and/or get out when they get caught.

SP markers are made in the USA and have a higher level of workmanship than most other companies. They are serious promoters of the sport and are serious about their market place. They have spent a fortune in research and they continue to make some of the biggest technical leaps in the industry.

I get tired of people listening to the criers like AGD and AKA and critizing SP because they got nailed for patent infringements. Both AGD and AKA have their own patents - they know the game. Why should they not pay for patent use like Bob Long and others do? They want an advantage?

Look on the back of these Vikings - what do you see? A patent number. AKA doesn't make Vikings anymore and they blame SP (so do their followers) for putting an end to AKA markers because SP wanted money for the ripped off patents AKA was using on the Viking and Excalibur.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 15 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

SP doesn't make the best gear, but it almost always gives you the best performance for your buck.

The SP1 is a great marker, especially given it's price.

People complaining about Smart Parts usually have never tried one, and when they have they don't know how to operate them correctly (which five minutes reading the owner's manual would correct).

EDIT: Patent infringement or no patent infringement, those are some nice markers (both the individuals you used in the post as well as AKA markers in general).

This post has been edited by Thalion: 15 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

I stole the pics from the AKA picture thread.

I honestly think AKA makes good stuff but business is business and with all the chinese knock off stuff we need to see the industry with some protection.

I'm a big lover of the pulse hopper - but be it as it may - sales were limited for patent infringements accusations.

#9 User is offline   MadChild 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MADCHILD

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Oct 15 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

SP are revolutionary. With that comes patents. They rocked the industry often with new developements (shocker 4x4, SFT, ion, Vibe, freak kit.) This forces other companies to improve or get out. Some companies try to improve by ripping off patent ideas and/or get out when they get caught.

SP markers are made in the USA and have a higher level of workmanship than most other companies. They are serious promoters of the sport and are serious about their market place. They have spent a fortune in research and they continue to make some of the biggest technical leaps in the industry.

I get tired of people listening to the criers like AGD and AKA and critizing SP because they got nailed for patent infringements. Both AGD and AKA have their own patents - they know the game. Why should they not pay for patent use like Bob Long and others do? They want an advantage?

Look on the back of these Vikings - what do you see? A patent number. AKA doesn't make Vikings anymore and they blame SP (so do their followers) for putting an end to AKA markers because SP wanted money for the ripped off patents AKA was using on the Viking and Excalibur.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that is a great post right there. Don't listen to the Anti SP BS most people don't know crap about it *cough* WoodsballFreak *cough* and just talk crap on SP because it's the "cool" thing to do.

The SP-1 is a huge upgrade from a 98 custom. I made the switch last year and I'm just blown away by this gun and how it performs for the price. As for a barrel I would suggest a Python Compression Kit http://www.pythonpaintball.com/index.php?m...p;products_id=3 with this you can turn any barrel into a nice barrel kit. I use mine on just the stock barrel and it rocks.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

maximum size exceeded

#10 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:WITHFORCE

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

You know, I hate to say it like this, but asking this question is like inviting a flame war.

But, here's my stance. I don't like what Smart Parts did, but I wasn't in the sport when it happened. If it was done for the right reasons than I can't fault them. If it was done (as many will try to say) to work a loophole to exploit for massive money they didn't deserve, then I could fault them. I haven't seen the proof either way in the form of legal documentation to make a true assumption. So, I was at a crossroads on how I feel about Smart Parts.

Here's where I am. I'm not going to fault the markers for something the company did. I plan to own a Shocker, SP1, etc. in the future. I also plan on owning some AGD markers. Including an Emag. Markers have no opinions to make, no grudges against other markers of another company, markers perform. And it's based on how well they perform on if I keep them or not, and how I feel about the company that makes them, packages them, markets them, and profits off selling them. Make sense in some weird philosophical way?
Who needs subtlety? I shoot until the woods are monochrome.

#11 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

View PostWith_Force, on Oct 15 2008, 05:33 PM, said:

Here's where I am. I'm not going to fault the markers for something the company did. I plan to own a Shocker, SP1, etc. in the future. I also plan on owning some AGD markers. Including an Emag. Markers have no opinions to make, no grudges against other markers of another company, markers perform. And it's based on how well they perform on if I keep them or not, and how I feel about the company that makes them, packages them, markets them, and profits off selling them. Make sense in some weird philosophical way?

You sir have got some good sense about you.

What happened happened, it's done. Nobody can "punish" a company by not buying their gear -- they'll have customers anyway, especially if it performs.

I would buy a SP marker if one was needed. As it stands, I have two electros already (and if you're "old school" like me, this is a sin that condemns one to paintball purgatory), so I probably will not be picking one up.

The only thing that's really tempting me right now is a Grey Ghost , but that's because I don't have a Nelson based marker yet.
Member of Team Akkadian

#12 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

View PostThalion, on Oct 15 2008, 06:44 PM, said:

View PostWith_Force, on Oct 15 2008, 05:33 PM, said:

What happened happened, it's done. Nobody can "punish" a company by not buying their gear -- they'll have customers anyway, especially if it performs.

I would buy a SP marker if one was needed. As it stands, I have two electros already (and if you're "old school" like me, this is a sin that condemns one to paintball purgatory), so I probably will not be picking one up.

The only thing that's really tempting me right now is a Grey Ghost , but that's because I don't have a Nelson based marker yet.

Get the Ghost. They are amazing. I can't wait to use mine :happy:.

On-topic: I might not like that SP basically put out AGD and AKA, but I'd be willing to buy their products if I had a need for them. I've never owned anything made by Smart Parts because I've never had the need for anything they made, but that's not because I have something against them. I haven't bought one of their markers primarily because I prefer poppet valves and all of their current markers are spools and I don't like the looks of the Nerve that much. I don't have any of their soft goods (jerseys, gloves, etc.) because I don't really like how they look all that much, and they're also not that common to find. And I don't have their air system because I like traditional screw-in tanks. I don't have any of their barrels because frankly, there are other brands I prefer.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#13 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:WITHFORCE

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

View PostThalion, on Oct 15 2008, 05:44 PM, said:

Thank you.

The more "catch-all" for what you've said is this... I had a guy try to talk me out of an Angel A1 because (according to him) the Ego is the best gun on the market and EVERYONE is working towards owning one. If this was true (and by correlation with the SP hate) why would SP be in business and why wouldn't Planet Eclipse be makin the only high end electro if this were true?

Everyone has their opinion, and they are entitled to it... but sometimes, I feel, we can take our opinions a step too far.

View PostZ3R0, on Oct 15 2008, 05:49 PM, said:

On-topic: I might not like that SP basically put out AGD and AKA, but I'd be willing to buy their products if I had a need for them. I've never owned anything made by Smart Parts because I've never had the need for anything they made, but that's not because I have something against them. I haven't bought one of their markers primarily because I prefer poppet valves and all of their current markers are spools and I don't like the looks of the Nerve that much. I don't have any of their soft goods (jerseys, gloves, etc.) because I don't really like how they look all that much, and they're also not that common to find. And I don't have their air system because I like traditional screw-in tanks. I don't have any of their barrels because frankly, there are other brands I prefer.

-Z3R0

You and I have had this talk. :happy:

And you're totally right. It's based on individual need or want. Truthfully, I may not need a Shocker with the plethora of other guns at my disposal or (potentially) at my disposal in the future. You perfer a poppet over a spool. I just care about how it performs regardless of blowback, closed bolt, poppet, spool, or whatever. While we don't share the exact same view on which marker is better, does it really matter? If you and I met on a field it's not like I would scoff and say, "Poppet Valve Purist" and you would scoff and say, "Blowback Caveman."

Preference is preference. Individual taste is individual taste.

This post has been edited by With_Force: 15 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

Who needs subtlety? I shoot until the woods are monochrome.

#14 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

I'll be honest, if I was going to buy a spool valve marker, my first pick would be a DM or PM. Probably the PM first, I just prefer their feel to the DM's. Second choice would be a Droid. Third would be a Shocker NXT. If I was going to buy a marker for under $300, let's say for just having a random cheaper gun for a backup, or just for the fun of it, or for a loaner, or whatever, I'd be looking into the SLG, and pretty much everything Smart Parts has to offer besides the Shocker and SP8. And I personally think backs are better than inserts when it comes to barrel kits, otherwise I'd probably own a Freak.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#15 User is offline   gunhand 

• gunhand
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gunhand

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

im not particularly fond of SP, alot for what happened with aka and agd. if memory serves many companys were making electros before SP had the patent on electros, but for some reason thy were granted the patent and proceeded to sue the crap out of everybody. The gardners(founders of sp) also didnt invent the electro paintgun, they instead distributed the original shocker for a company called PVI(PneuVentures Inc), it sold pretty well so they did what any logical perso would do. They stole the design, shut down PVI and patented the design themself.

on top of that I have never found their products all that high quality, the freak shoots pretty food, but it seems to break more balls in the barrel than about any other barrel I've used. And Shockers never seemed to shoot that weel to me either, granted I never did like the way they felt, they just seem very slow tto me and seem to have a lag from the time i pull the trigger to the time the gun actually shoots. And Ions, well i've never seen a day where there werent a couple in the shop and the owner wasnt getting to play because of that(but in their defense most of the people at my field who have ions are newer so they probably dont know a whole lot about them). I will say though that most ions that i see that havent been super upgraded with all the "best" parts seem to be pretty reliable

thats my .02 cents FWIW. There are better guns for the money
WVU Tech Mechanical Engineering. Class of (should be 2009, but its not!)

Specops Feedback

FBM KRUSHER E-COCKER FS, NEED MONEY FOR SCHOOL

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users