Special Ops Paintball: Stainless steel slides on handguns - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stainless steel slides on handguns Quality rating? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LoD 

• Lord of Death
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:LoD

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

So I am probably selling my XD soon and buying the much coveted XDm. I really like the look of the stainless steel bi-tone slide. However, my friends have been saying that it will be harder to conceal (makes sense, but at the same time, it doesn't because I have it under my shirt in a holster) or if you needed to use the firearm in the dark, lights would reflect off the slide. I also think this is a little ridiculous. The other concern they said is that the stainless steel is softer and will wear down more and also shows scuff marks easier from holster rash and stuff...

My question is this: do stainless steel slides scuff or show marks more or easier than the blued steel they use on the black guns? Also, what is your opinion on their other concerns they brought to my attention? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Another question is now I am contemplating a 9mm instead of .40 because 9mm is slightly cheaper and I could get +P or +P+ for self defense if I needed, and it holds more rounds, but it still feels wrong to get a 9mm over a .40.. a .40 just makes you feel.. complete... so, any other additional opinion on this is also greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Love, your LoD

My Feedback Thread
"I look at it as an opportunity to bloody up the hammer some more. Especially now since I replaced the leather wrap and it needs to be worked in." - Puzuma

#2 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

eww, 9mm.....

Not a fan of it, but it's your call. Honestly the situations in which you'd need the bigger caliber are NEVER gonna happen, so it's basically a preference on what you like to shoot more.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#3 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

I own a newly-purchased XD (M) in .40 and I went with all black because it's what I prefer for concealment and look. I'm not into too much flash with my guns, and while some 2-tones look nice, it's just not my preferred style. The M has a very durable black Melonite finish that is certainly among the most durable finishes available on a pistol. It will eventually scuff and wear, like any gun, but you can often get materials to "fill in" or hide wear and scratches on any "blued" gun finish. Stainless is very durable, but it is more difficult to repair/polish deeper scrapes and wear, and it is softer, as you were told. Regarding the stainless shine issue- well, if you're going to be hunting down someone to shoot them at night, then yes, it might give you away. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

For those reasons, I usually opt for the blued/black gun over the shiny one- but it's really a matter of personal choice. I have a chromed revolver and a stainless one that are both over 40 years old, and they are both in great shape, despite years of wear and tear. I also have a blued Beretta and a Sig that are approaching 20 years of age, and aside from a small scratch or two and some holster wear, they look pretty darn good, and if I chose to, I could easily have them refinished for a reasonable price. So it's really a matter of what you like and how you take care of it.

As for the 9mm/.40 cal debate- it really depends on what you're most comfortable shooting. A good hollowpoint +P round in 9mm is going to have almost the same one-shot stopping power of a .40 round, with about the same recoil (slightly less, though) and muzzle flash. I use CorBon rounds in my 9mm weapons and they have, if memory serves, a 92-93% stopping rate vs. 94-95% for a .40 round. It really comes down to what you are comfortable shooting and training with. Neither round will do the job if you can't put them where you want them, so having more rounds (19 vs. 17) is not a huge advantage, especially if you can't put the first few on target. However, since the .40 round is a bit "snappier" than the 9, and more expensive, especially for ball practice ammo, there is no real huge downside in choosing it over the .40.

As it stands now, I happen to prefer the .40 and .45 rounds for defensive carry, but I would not feel under-gunned with one of my 9mm pistols. If you haven't already, try some range time with guns of both calibers and see which one you can shoot more accurately, comfortably, and consistently. Then make your choice.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#4 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

you shouldn't ever say never

if that time does come that he does need it, he'll be glad he did get it.

as far as the finish, i dunno man. you got me. can't you google gun reviews or something?

#5 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KWEIMATHA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'll agree with Violator on the slide issue. My preference is for blued. All of my guns are blued including my M9 and my XD.
As for 9mm vs 40cal, it really comes down to personal taste. I had surgery on the nerves in my right arm about 16 months ago and haven't done a lot of shooting since. But the couple of times that I have, I can't handle high round counts of 40cal. My hand goes numb quickly. It's not the recoil that does it, it's the slide movement. Most firearms will have a faster slide velocity in 40cal than in 9mm. That's the snap that you feel with 40cal.
It's all about preference.
Doug
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.

#6 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

While the bi-tone looks nice, I would rather have a dark one. Mine is black with an OD green frame.

Although, I do want a navy blue/black P22...

Caliber... Its kinda a tossup, really. Try them both and then decide. Best I can say...

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#7 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

I have the XD9 subcompact, with the blued slide. It shoots very well. While the bi-tone looks cool, I'd rather go for the blued gun.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#8 User is offline   Mech CB 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

when i buy my glock, i wanna get one thats od green :)

#9 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

The OD green looks SOOO cool... I have a thing for OD green. Thats my team uniform.. I wear it a lot... If I get the TPX in april, I will look into having it duracoated OD greem...

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#10 User is offline   Violator 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

OD green and desert tan are nice on certain pistols. I do like the XD in OD, and Kimber made a few MARSOC 1911's in nice desert and OD colors and a one with digi grips, which they released for public sale in modified forms. For me, any color is generally preferable to stainless, even satin/brushed. Guess I come from the Tommy Lee Jones/U.S. Marshalls school of no "nickel-plated sissy pistols." :) AH- see below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Violator: 20 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#11 User is offline   Mech CB 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

hey, i dropped my pistol-whered it go! the handle is cami so now i can't find it anymore! lol

#12 User is offline   Violator 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

Is that why you like nickel-plated sissy pistols, Mech? :)

Navy guys- what are ya gonna do? Maybe you can get one painted digi-blue to match those spiffy new cammies they're issuing swabbies... just don't drop it in water, or you'll never see it! :D

#13 User is offline   Mech CB 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:30 PM

lol, no i like my black ones and od green ones! the black is easy to clean for us lazy guys, and the green-well, that just looks cool:) i just better not drop it in any bushes or i'm screwed! that'd beb hilarious if the navy came out with blue guns though! lol

#14 User is offline   Violator 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

I wouldn't put it past any branch to do something that dumb. Just make sure you're packing an infrared filter, Mech, and you'll always be able to find your dropped guns. Personally, I never drop mine, but they still make lanyards for the coordinated challenged folks like you. :)

BTW, the Melonite finish on XDs is really durable. One of my shooting buddies has 2 and they have been dropped and banged around quite a bit, and they look pretty good. Glock, Sig, and H&K all have good coatings, but this one seems to be a bit harder to scratch/ding than some.

#15 User is offline   Mech CB 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

just my luck, i'd wind up being issued the lanyard thats a foot shorter than all the others!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users