• You cannot reply to this topic

Paintballs Is there really a difference Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Girly Balla 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Girly Balla

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

Ok, here is my newbie question. Of the few times I have played, I've shared paint with friends...they always seem to want the most expensive that the field we play on offers, which is marballizer. I've also played with combat paint on a couple games. Now, maybe it's just me and not knowing enough about the paint ball itself, but is there really that big of a difference when it comes to the paintballs you choose? If I was just to go to my local department store and purchase a case of their basic paint, would I notice a difference? Any information on this topic is appreciated!
You're only as good as the people you shoot

#2 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

View PostGirly Balla, on May 11 2007, 11:00 PM, said:

Ok, here is my newbie question. Of the few times I have played, I've shared paint with friends...they always seem to want the most expensive that the field we play on offers, which is marballizer. I've also played with combat paint on a couple games. Now, maybe it's just me and not knowing enough about the paint ball itself, but is there really that big of a difference when it comes to the paintballs you choose? If I was just to go to my local department store and purchase a case of their basic paint, would I notice a difference? Any information on this topic is appreciated!

yes and no. techinically, all paintballs will do the same thing in the end.

Department or general sporting goods store paint is bad. not that it starts out that way, but it's not Rotated at all. that means the paint tends to deform, degrading accuracy. In addition, you never know just what you're going to see when you open up a box of walmart paint... for all you know, that's four bags of soup in that case.

let alone the fact that most department store paint is thin fill, thick shell horrid crap- I've seen this stuff bounce off of plywood bunkerwalls (imagine how big a welt that round would leave!)

In short... buy departments store for live-fire marker mod checks, that kind of thing. You know... when you have to shoot paint to check something, and you don't have any leftover from your last weekend.

The 'good' stuff generally tends to be very brittle and has thick fill (Personally, i'm a fan of anarchy. that fill is like whale snot... good luck hiding that hit! even in ghillie! well, when it breaks in ghillie) also, it tends to be sold in paintball specialty stores- so it's rotated and cared for (in as much as it needs to be), which means it'll shoot straighter, and usually you're allowed to check it before you buy it, so you know there's no broken balls in the bag.

anyways, hope that helps, but it probably dosen't. I'm not good at this whole 'passing along things I know' deal, so hopefully someone who can explain it better will post after me.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#3 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

Yes, there can be a vast difference between brands of paint, & even of different batches of the same brand.
But alot of it depends on the quality of paint you actually need. For most rec games, I personally am not very picky - as long as the balls are round & undamaged Im probably going to be happy. Most of the paint I buy is in the $45-60 range.
But balls that are too cheap can be a nightmare - breaking in the barrel, shooting in all directions except the one you want...it sucks. How they have been stored is also an issue as even the most expensive premium paint can be ruined if not handled properly during shipment & storage.
Im not going to bore with alot of technical talk about matching paint to barrel sizes & ambient humidity (although as you get more experience these will be more important to you). My general rule is : when in doubt, buy the mid grade. If you go out to play & the field has 3 brands, priced at $35, $50 & $65 a case, get the $50. The cheap stuff will probably just make you angry & the expensive stuff is more than a new player really needs to worry about. As you play more, & start getting experience, you'll learn to appriciate better paint.

One tip - when you buy paint at the field, the counter person should open the box & inspect the bags for broken balls. If they dont, do it yourself before taking the paint.

#4 User is offline   Gobo Fongo 

• Master of Awesome
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gobo Fongo

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

In my experience, there just isn't much difference most of the time as long as it's not the very bottom of the price range. The low end paint has a lot of variance in quality, some is fine but some is really very bad (meaning it breaks a lot and makes a mess of your gun). If the paint is decent, and not prone to breaking all the time before shooting than you will not notice much difference until you are actually matching paint to barrel bore size and really going all out for accuracy. Shooting a decent fresh case of $30 Monster Balls at wal mart or the $70 field paint marbalizers, you will not notice a significant* difference when playing with a rental/friends gun for fun on saturday.

*by significantly I here mean worth the price. I firmly believe that the paint does not hold a candle to your skills when it comes to eliminations/winning, as long as it's not breaking in your gun and it's breaking on them, the cheaper the better.

It is of course different if your playing in a tournament or something where you want to ensure every advantage. Also, at wal mart it's really a gamble on whether the paint has sat on that shelf for an hour or a month, or if it was dropped or squashed, there's just no way to tell.

For me when I'm playing rec ball for the weekend, cheap paint = good paint.

This post has been edited by Gobo Fongo: 11 May 2007 - 11:25 PM

"On the other hand, I WILL buy a Viking, and every time I shoot it I will be symbolically sticking it to Smart Parts."
Me Feedback ALL MY STUFF FOR SALE Multicam Headwrap Sale

#5 User is offline   Girly Balla 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Girly Balla

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:30 PM

Thanks to everyone for your advice, it is very much appreciated and definately a learning experience. Everyone in this forum is always so helpful and full of information. I never realized there was so much information needed for shooting the crap out of your friends. But now I feel I am better prepared for the next game! Thanks again!
You're only as good as the people you shoot

#6 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

View PostGirly Balla, on May 11 2007, 11:30 PM, said:

Thanks to everyone for your advice, it is very much appreciated and definately a learning experience. Everyone in this forum is always so helpful and full of information. I never realized there was so much information needed for shooting the crap out of your friends. But now I feel I am better prepared for the next game! Thanks again!

and you thought you had a lot to learn in school.

pssh.

#7 User is offline   SPEDcial Forces 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

There most definetelly is a difference!

Good quality paint will brake on your target, not in your gun. I used to use shiity stuff from PEE SHOOTER's sporting goods, couldn't hit the broad side of the barn, got all these bounces, ect...

Then I started using polar ice during the winter. Shot much straiter, but didn't brake on target.

Now thats it's warm i use worr perfection. This stuff shoots straiter than Polar Ice, always breaks on target, and is just deadly.

But regaurdless of what paint you use, if you're storing it, flip the case over once a day so it dosn't get dimpled. Even good quality paint will become crappy if stored on one side for too long.
"A bad day of paintball is one where I never get hit. If I don't look like I got date-raped by an octopus by the end of the day, thats a bad thing."

So you want to know why it's called an A5?

If I could assemble a new regulator for a paintball gun, I could build a liver. How hard could it be?

Automaggot #79

I'll bet you $10 the above post is telling you to buy an automag.

#8 User is offline   cpt_crunch 

• tired of tippmann
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:cpt_crunch

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

I use monster balls. really cheap and its actually really good paint, not as good as marbalizer but still grreat stuff for a lot less.
Invisible, invincible.

IPB Image

Christian paintballer

#9 User is offline   Haunted Hunter 

• Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Haunted Hunter

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

I use marballizers all the time ($57 per 2000) With the amount I shoot (500-800/day), that is never more than $10 a day more than if I used cheap balls. It's worth the extra money unless you are a one case, one elimination type of player. When you miss a few kills because your cheap balls curve, didn't break, or chopped, you'll be wishing you spent the extra cash. Now if it's field paint, it may be extremely expensive, so that may be an issue.

#10 User is offline   anti_arrows 

• Would You Kindly?
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

dont you mean one shot one kill.....a one case one kill person will shoot 15 balls at them...some might cuver but im sure 1 of the 15 will hit
Offical Pump Club Member #159
You Can't Wipe A Welt
Yeah My Gun Has PSP...Pump Shoot Pump

#11 User is offline   The Angry Platypus 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Don't get Brass Eagle. It's easy to tell who's been hit by the screams of people when they get hit, because these are oddly shaped and hard like rocks.
Thalassa kai pur kai gune, kaka tria.
To gar hedu, ean polu, ou ti ge hedu.

#12 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

View PostThe Angry Platypus, on May 12 2007, 10:25 PM, said:

Don't get Brass Eagle. It's easy to tell who's been hit by the screams of people when they get hit, because these are oddly shaped and hard like rocks.

yeah.. i think i've been hit by a few and shouted "corpsman!" because I thought I got hit by other things. all they army guys around me looked at me like i was whacked.

#13 User is offline   paintball valley 

• Nazi Mods 4TL
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:07 AM

in a word YES! but everyone else has already told you that.

Stuntman didn't want to go into it, and it is a bit technical, but personally I feel that just as important as which paint you use; geting the proper bore match is the key. Check out Tyger's tip clip episode 9 "Improved Accuracy" that will sum it up for you.

I get a case of cheap Zap paint from walmart once a week for shooting around the back yard, and at the field I use the best they have available. I have found that bore match is equally important. I can still run drills and practice with the cheap paint with few random slices (wildly curving balls) provided I used the right insert in my barrel. However at the field, with a proper bore match, I can consistently shoot laser beams out to about 100ft.

So the quality of the paint does matter, but bore match matters just as much in my opinion.
Good Luck and happy ball'n

EDIT: I just thought to add: My walmart goes through paint pretty regular since the local pro-shop closed about a year ago. Results may vary, becuase what everyone else said is also true; stored paint must be rotated.

This post has been edited by paintball valley: 13 May 2007 - 04:24 AM

If you can't hit him in 3 shots... You are probably in the way of someone who can... MOVE!!!
If Nikola Tesla had invented a paintball marker it would have been an electro-pnuematic.
"Every facet, every department of your mind needs to be programed by you, and unless you accept your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind; the world will program it for you." - Evil Nine: "Cake Hole" (possibly sampled from Timothy Leary)

...Fat chicks need love too, but they gotta pay. - Glen Quagmire

#14 User is offline   Fontain 

• I am every where and no where
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Fontain

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

I find the only difference is that the really cheap garbage stuff at walmart is no good and the really expensive stuff tends to be very good but i find everything in the middle is the same.

#15 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:05 AM

I just go for the stuff in the middle the extra $5-$10 is worth it not to watch the paint bounce off of people. If there isn't any money riding on the outcome don't worry about buying the premium stuff.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users