Psychology Industrial Internship 1 year minimum - thoughts? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hey guys,

So soon I'll have to decide if I want to go through with doing an internship for my University Program - I will still be a 'full time' student, so I get tax benefits, but I won't be allowed to do classes during the time I am doing it. Basically, I'll be extending my undergraduate degree by 1 year.

The job list hasn't been made available yet, but should be after next week (Reading Week) - we can go into other places for jobs if we can make a good case/get them to agree.

Suitable employment related to Psychology has included:

* industrial/governmental - program evaluation, survey work, needs assessment, quality of life assessment, assist with training programs
* health care - assessment and care (therapy, counseling) of individuals with brain damage, substance abuse disorders, attention deficit disorders, mental illness, problems of the elderly or physically handicapped, correctional system offenders
* justice - testing and care of individuals involved with the justice system
* education - evaluation of academic technologies and learning techniques
* applied or behavioural research – data collection/analysis, literature review, report preparation, multimedia presentations....

It is possible for students to find a job on their own. Such placements must be approved by the Coordinator to ensure the placement meets the expectations for work experience. Students who wish to seek a job placement on their own should speak with the Coordinator prior to initiating their search.

Anyways, I am (planning on) doing this program to basically see what applied work in Psychology is like - I am currently enrolled in the Honours Program (and so, working on a thesis for my undergraduate) to see what the research side is like. As an added bonus, I can work on my thesis when I am not at work during this time ...

I am not sure I will be very interested in some of these jobs - many of them are considered the "lower" end of things psychologists can do with their degree. I could easily go into Human Resources, Business, Advertising, etc... but my Honours Supervisor actually suggested something interesting: seeing if I could work at BioWare (developers of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc.).

My thesis work is related to video games, and why people enjoy them. I shouldn't go to details (as someone may steal my ideas before I try to publish my work - experimentation hasn't started), but when I have time to theorize and research I enjoy it a fair bit (mostly Social Psychology rather than Perception, etc.).

What do you guys think? Can you think of other jobs I could try to do for Psychology? To my knowledge, the jobs available from the program are typically government-funded... probation officer, halfway houses, etc.

#2 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

hey, if you have the time i'd do it.
What do you have to lose?

#3 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

View PostEskimo, on 16 February 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

hey, if you have the time i'd do it.
What do you have to lose?

My dad is kind of against the internship for a few reasons:

1) 1 year's time
2) He's worried I won't keep going and finish my degree (I doubt that)
3) He doesn't think I'll like any of the jobs and so won't learn anything

However:

1)I have no idea what I want to do, so can't really go straight to Grad School even when I finish - I might as well find out if I'll like this kind of work.
2)I gain experience - I know one girl who has a serious chance at a job dozens of people holding masters can't get due to her internship work/project.
3)I will have money again (paid $12-$18/hr)

I haven't discussed the BioWare thing with him yet, as he is on a business trip.

#4 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Well that is the point of the intern program! Develop inside contacts, references and experience that builds on your education.

I would also think it to be a great way to keep you from finding out after you have a degree in a field of work that you do not enjoy.

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 16 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

#5 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 16 February 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

My dad is kind of against the internship for a few reasons:

1) 1 year's time
2) He's worried I won't keep going and finish my degree (I doubt that)
3) He doesn't think I'll like any of the jobs and so won't learn anything

so basically he is re-phrasing what you could do right now with your education anyways?
do it. you know you want your degree and this gives you some motivation to keep it up. you might love it to death and then just plunge into study after coming back.

if you dont like any of the jobs then finish your grad or switch ( dont down right drop though..) and be happy that you found out in advance

#6 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, he seems to think I can just jump into basically anything I want afterwards even I decide Psychology is not for me... but I don't think it's quite that easy in today's education system, Science degree or not.

#7 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 16 February 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

Yeah, he seems to think I can just jump into basically anything I want afterwards even I decide Psychology is not for me... but I don't think it's quite that easy in today's education system, Science degree or not.

You'd be surprised lol.

I've taken a ton of sciences courses and just jumped into business. Alot of my courses were applicable as electives AND many of the courses I took were the core courses for year 1 and part of year 2.

#8 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

Well business was one of his examples...

But that's an obvious one. I mean, it probably wouldn't be easy to just be like hey I'm going to go be a chemical materials engineer.

#9 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I personally couldn't finish college, it drove me nuts, and broker than broke (I was paying the school for two years after i dropped because my schollarship fell through) BUT, with that being said, I would personally recommend the internship, but remember it's just that. Don't think of it as a job. The money may be nice, but it's still not a job, it's just an internship. I think it's a mentality thing that your dad is worried about, but what Eskimo said is right, you could do anything right now, including drop out and smoke pot... but if you are determined to finish and get a degree, use the internship as a chance to get your foot in the door of the general field. Now, at the same time, I know someone who graduated with a computer science degree working in our HR department making just as much as he would have in a computer programming job (within reason of course, there's always some super programming job that pay's rediculous ammounts) So I don't think it is going to lock you into a certain job for the rest of eternity. Most employers look at a degree and say "yay, degree." but experience is what will get them to say "ok, this person know's what's what in this field."

#10 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

So I emailed the internship coordinator and she gave me the thumbs-up on applying to BioWare... if I can come up with some good ideas for what I could do there.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking towards game design (ie. what to put in the game - my research centers on why people enjoy games and I'm also interested in why people don't seem to get emotionally involved in games like with movies, etc.) and helping them figure out what people would like best in the game, how they can tweak things to make it more enjoyable to more people...

Or failing that, marketing. What can be presented in a commercial to just get people's nerves tingling to buy their game?

Anyone got details to add to those? :P

#11 User is offline   MejorQueNada 

• it is better to watch something than to do something
  • Pip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

To me, it sounds like you already know what you want to do. You know your abilities, aptitude, desires, money situation, and a whole slew of stuff about your situation better than we do. On top of having better insight than us, this is going to affect how your career unfolds before you; and ultimately you will be the one that makes the decision, not us, and not your father (but of course you already knew that).

The internship is most likely a good option for you because it allows you to gain (some) experience relevant to the field you are interested in. That experience will set you apart from others who are straight out of school. ALSO, a LOT of the time, companies that use the internship program, will hire the interns for a full-time position when they finish school, if they perform well.

So, from the sound of it, you are going into the internship program and I wish you luck.

As far as which path to take; you need to consider that carefully. For me, I tried to pursue a career in a career field that I thought was a solid option and relevant at the time, but I did not necessarily enjoy it. It worked out for the most part, no major hiccups; but I ended up not liking my job and left that position. Recently I found a job doing what I enjoy; I make less money, but I am a whole lot happier. I would recommend you do something you enjoy; for me happiness is worth more than a couple of dollars an hour. It is easy to say that, I hear people say it all the time, but its the truth. You just need to recognize what is more valuable to you and how much money you need to have in order to be comfortable. If money makes you happy, then try to make as much of it as you can; if not do something you enjoy.

I don't need to keep going on, you get my drift; it's the same stuff you have heard all of you life.

good luck :tup:
:P

#12 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 28 February 2011 - 04:36 PM, said:

So I emailed the internship coordinator and she gave me the thumbs-up on applying to BioWare... if I can come up with some good ideas for what I could do there.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking towards game design (ie. what to put in the game - my research centers on why people enjoy games and I'm also interested in why people don't seem to get emotionally involved in games like with movies, etc.) and helping them figure out what people would like best in the game, how they can tweak things to make it more enjoyable to more people...

Or failing that, marketing. What can be presented in a commercial to just get people's nerves tingling to buy their game?

Marketing isn't just promotions and advertising :P, it's about tailoring a product to the target market's needs, determining a price, doing market research into your target demographic and then promoting and advertising the product. ;) (Marketing Major right here haha)

#13 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

View PostDigital Pirate, on 05 March 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

View Postcdrinkh20, on 28 February 2011 - 04:36 PM, said:

What do you guys think?

Marketing isn't just promotions and advertising :P, it's about tailoring a product to the target market's needs, determining a price, doing market research into your target demographic and then promoting and advertising the product. ;) (Marketing Major right here haha)

Just saying its something Psychology could logically be applied to :P

#14 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

So coordinator has been kind of slow on getting on this... just emailing, as far as I can tell (not calling). Can't seem to get a hold of the guy we have to talk to for this... (he's in BC, apparently). She did, however, get through a channel we aren't SUPPOSED to use (a local Edmonton employee) who said they've already taken on one more intern than they normally do... but she's apparently "not entirely opposed to a fourth intern and intrigued by the idea of a psychology student" - so we are letting her stew a bit...

But chances are the guy in BC will say Edmonton is full.

The coordinator would like to ask if there are positions open elsewhere but... that would mean leaving for a year to live in Burnaby, BC; Montreal, QC... or even the States.

Trouble is:

1) I strongly dislike the idea of leaving my girlfriend back here for a year.

2) I have no idea what I'd be making if they DO accept me... so therefore have no idea if I could support living there (i.e. Vancouver, etc. is VERY expensive).

Thoughts? :blink:

#15 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

hmmm its a hard choice But I say follow your heart and what YOU want. in the end the path in life you choose must be the one you want.
If you seriously want to do this for a year. then chase it down.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users