Special Ops Paintball: regulating my fs rifle - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

regulating my fs rifle need ideas on what i should or shouldn't do Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:GUBMENT SNIPER

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

I modded a US Army Carver One into a FS rifle and now Im thinking about adding a regulator to improve velocity and in turn improve my grouping with First Strikes. Problem is, I don't know squat about regulators besides the fact that they control the gas pressure that is released. So, any ideas on what I should use and how or rather do I shouldn't get one at all. I have a air-thru dogleg/ commando stock attached as well, everything inside my gun is stock if that makes a difference. thanks in advance!!
"why does that bush have eyes?"

#2 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

Well....If you use a remote, that kinda acts as a little reg on it's own, but as for actually PUTTING a reg on the gun...I can't see it working on the air-thru dogleg without a bit of a mod to change the way the hosing is set up.

As for using an on gun bottle, or just using the bottomline (if you still have it) and then remote, the hardest part I could see would be screwing the reg actually into the gun, as I'm not sure what threads, if any, are used at the end of the fitting going into the gun. If it was do-able, and there was enough room, you could theoretically drill and tap the hole to match that of a different reg (e.g a hyper3 or something). That's if it doesn't already match something out there. Either way, sounds like quite a fun set-up, and whether it works out or not, good luck!
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#3 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

a carver one is designed to run on a higher pressure than most paintball regs put out. What type of tank are you using? i have heard that ninja tank regs are the most consistent, and are also adjustable. That would be your best bet, imo. They run around $40.
2 Samuel 22

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

Ben is right about having to find a high output reg, Tippmanns (other than the Phenom - different valve) typically require somewhere around 800psi, though I've heard some claim theirs can operate as low as the 5-600 range. Personally I never looked into getting a reg for my Tippmann because I run HPA, it's not perfectly consistent over the chrono (+/- 15) because of the marker design, but it's waaaay better than when I ran CO2 thru it.

If you are using CO2, then get a Palmer's stab - they work wonders w/ CO2. I have seen a dogleg modded to hold a Palmer's, on a scope ring, w/ modified hosing - that was an original dogleg though w/ the exterior hosing, not the newer integrated model. It could still work on a newer one but you wouldn't use the stock nipple for a remote, you'd have to run the remote directly to the stab. I think I have a pic of that A-5 saved somewhere because it was something I hadn't seen yet, but that was years ago so I'll have to dig on my home pc.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#5 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

Palmer's Pursuit Shop will have the widest variety of regulator options availble for you to choose what will work best in you situation.

The Carver does need a high input presure to operate. So you will not want a low pressure reg.
In order for the regulator to properly function you will want a perssure differential of 200 psi. Meaning if you gun needs (every gun is different...even if they are the same model of gun) 600 psi to operate you need a minimum of 800 psi going into the regulator. Otherwise you are simply slowing down the flow of air to the gun and starving the internals of need pressure.

One option would be to simply remove the velocity adjuster letting the gun work at it full potential...then use a regulator to control the velocity through pressure. Doing it this way would allow your gun to utilize every ounce of pressure you give it and truely be as conservative as possible without drastic internal changes.
And to reverse it would simply mean removing the reg and replacing the velocity screw.

Another option would be to set the gun up for full low pressure operation. Changing all the springs and lightening the hammer. This is a drastic change that would require much trouble shooting to get right. Not terribly hard but time consuming with changes and testing to get everything right. Couple this with a regulator and you would find the best possible performance out of the inline blow back design of the Carver. Reversing this option would mean replacing all the changed springs and the hammer as well as removing the regulator.

Which Reg should you use...As mentioned the Stabilizer is the best option. The link above has all the different types listed. They seem confusing at first...but a little reading will get you what you want.
I have seen just about every set up you could imagine with a Palmers Stabilizer...so anything you can think of is possible.

On the gun...well you could run a Direct version right into the valve. Might need to increase the opening in the shell to accomplish this. But the Direct Stab would screw into the valve right where the air hose does now.
Or, you could run a female Stab mounted on ring mounts to replace the ASA under the grip.

If you ran a remote you could mount an Inline Stab to the Dogleg.
Or you could run an Inline Stab on your remote line.
Or....You could run a Female Stab on your tank with the remote line running from there.

Sooooooooooo many options with a Palmers Stab.

How much do you want to spend....and how much work do you want to put into this.

Then there is my main question. How much money do you want to put into an entry level gun befor you move on to a high quality operating system? Personally I put over $800 into my first Tippmann only to realise that it worked just as good stock as it did with all my upgrades.
You might honestly be better off using your Carver for now and saving all the money you would diump into upgrades and purchase higher quality gun later down the road when you have saved enough.

To be brutally honest...there is a reason I no lnger shoot a blow back operated paintball gun.

#6 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

Wow!!! I didn't think I would get this much feedback this quickly. thanks evertbody, but to answer all the questions, Im going to do so in order to avoid confusion in order. Benaiah, I'm using a "walmart special" airtank a.k.a pure energy 3000 psi 68 cu, but I am putting money aside for a ninja paintball tank so that works out. It's going to be a 68cu carbonfiber or a 50cu.

Ger, want you said about having the stabalizer mounted to the inside of the dogleg is the same idea I had. lol(great minds think alike) I run compressed air and normally I wouldn't care about regulating the pressure since I use an A-5 with normal paint, but with FS rounds the velocity jump widens the shot grouping.

Krazy8, thanks for all the info about the Palmer stab, thanks to that I now know my options. I did look at the palmer site and saw that they were no more than about $150, so if needed I can save up for it. When it comes to mounting it, I personally want to go the simple route. According to your info, my best bet is a female stab connected to my tank, then my remote and connect the rest as I normally would. The Inline stab appears to need two seperate macrolines, one from the source and another to the gun itself. Also, it looks like I would need a macro for the female stab leading from the stab to the remote. Thats at least what it looks like in the pictures. I'll give them a call and talk to the tech guys at my field and see what they say. thanks for all the good info and I'll post the results. :ghillie: :D

#7 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

How aqre you currently running your air?

Remote to quick disconect?

With the Inline Stab mounted on the Dogleg you would be in the exact same situation. Run the air out to the macro line on the Dog, and run the quick disconect into the Inline. So simple. Also isolates your Stab to the Carver, leaving you clear to use the same QD fitting on you A5 or the Carver.

Oh Slide Check? I see...run it right on the Inline. Done deal.

If you go the Female on the tank route you will be hard lining the remote into the Stab, forcing you to either buy another remote or use the Stab on the A5. Many A5's do not like regulated air....

I think you would be best of with the Inline unless you plan on using the Stab on other guns as well.
Oh...I almost forgot about the Sideline :facepalm:
They are the same thing...just with the air in/out fittings in oposite locations.

As for mounting...you can use the ring mounts Palmer's sell on any of the Stabs...makes mounting as simple as two holes in the Dog and two 10/32 button head 1/2" screws.
Same with the block mount. I personally like the block mount better...simply on looks alone.

Crap...just looked again...they now sell the bloody things in remote line kits. Gads, they are taking all of the confusion and work out of this!

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 15 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

#8 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

you dont need a ninja tank, just a ninja reg. you can put them on any tank. everything else is covered.
2 Samuel 22

#9 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

I was going to get a new tank anyway, a 3000psi doesnt last long even with my invert mini, let alone my carver fs and A-5. I run a qd with slide check remote to the air-thru, and with the inline stab, it will connect to the air thru like my remote does without any thing extra? then connect that to my remote and I'm done?

#10 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

Here is what I wold do in your situation.

I would hard mount the Inline Stab on the Dogleg somewhere in the leg. By using a block mount you will get a good solid mount that will not move or stick out too far. You will need to drill two holes in the Dogleg to attach the block mount.
I would think right in the middle of the long leg where the air line is nice a straight would be the best place.

The one change you will need to make is replacing the fittings on the Stab. The threaded fittings can easily be replace by macroline fittings allowing you to easily add the Stab to your gun and have a regulated air source.

Here is the biggest concern I have. If you are already running HPA through your remote, then adding this Inline Stab will not help you at all. Your air is already regulated by the HPA system...a stable consistant output pressure. PE tank regs are actually pretty good.
The pressure need to operate the gun and the pressure put ot by the PE regulator on the tank are not far enough apart to properly utilize dual regulation. Adding this Inline will actually create fluctuations in your air supply during use.

If you were using co2 in the summer this Inline Stab wold be a great option.

Crap I could be totally wrong too. shooting FS rounds might actually allow you to operate the Carver at a lower presure.
Without knowing for sure telling you how to add a second regulator to your gun is a gamble on performance.

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 15 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users