Special Ops Paintball: Do you Longball? If not, why not? It is REALLY fun! - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you Longball? If not, why not? It is REALLY fun! Shooting distance with regular paint. Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 20 March 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

View PostI.K.E., on 16 March 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostPirate, on 16 March 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

That's lame. If I wanted to play all hits, I'd go play Airsoft :P

I agree.

I don't long ball because I don't have an apex or flatline. However, if I think someone has stepped just into my range, yeah, I'll pop a few shots and see what happens. :)

Meh. I think that's kinda lame.

If you messed up and got hit by a paintball, then you earned your own elimination. You don't deserve a second chance just because the paintball malfunctioned and didn't break. And that is what it is, a malfunction. It represents design limitations of the projectile. If we could make them 100% right then every hit would be a break anyway. If you don't wanna be out then don't get hit. I don't want to be out myself, that's why I try to be better next time and not get hit period, because my idea of skill doesn't involve counting on a paintball to malfunction and not break, it involves counting on myself to be good enough not to get hit by any of them in the first place.

That said, airsoft is lame because you can't tell if you got hit! The guns (the good ones anyway), actually work a lot better, are lighter, more compact, have more streamlined function than our big clunky compressed air lugging paintball guns. It's just too bad they fire weenie little plastic bb's that'll bounce off a light sweater vest without anyone noticing it.

So, me myself, I'm all about IrishMac's bullet style!
Or alternatively, if I wanna be tough or make the game last a little longer, no hits count, including breaks, unless it's a torso or head shot. And then it still takes two to the chest to eliminate!

Skilled game = all hits count
Interesting game = only torso/head shots count + 2 torso shot minimum eliminations + all hits (to that area) still count.

Not sure that quite makes sense. If a paintball doesn't break, you're not always sure that it did, in fact, hit you. That is actually the POINT of counting breaks, because you know that you've been hit. Sure, we've all had bounces that we KNOW hit us and didn't break, but not always.

I'll also add that knowing your opponent's range and being able to enter the "bounce zone" and get away with it takes as much skill and audacity as counting all "hits".
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#17 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

To me it's paintball. Breaks only not bounces. It's not air soft or anything else. Mark me and I'm out. Easy rules.

#18 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 23 March 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

View PostShipwreck!, on 20 March 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

View PostI.K.E., on 16 March 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostPirate, on 16 March 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

That's lame. If I wanted to play all hits, I'd go play Airsoft :P

I agree.

I don't long ball because I don't have an apex or flatline. However, if I think someone has stepped just into my range, yeah, I'll pop a few shots and see what happens. :)

Meh. I think that's kinda lame.

If you messed up and got hit by a paintball, then you earned your own elimination. You don't deserve a second chance just because the paintball malfunctioned and didn't break. And that is what it is, a malfunction. It represents design limitations of the projectile. If we could make them 100% right then every hit would be a break anyway. If you don't wanna be out then don't get hit. I don't want to be out myself, that's why I try to be better next time and not get hit period, because my idea of skill doesn't involve counting on a paintball to malfunction and not break, it involves counting on myself to be good enough not to get hit by any of them in the first place.

That said, airsoft is lame because you can't tell if you got hit! The guns (the good ones anyway), actually work a lot better, are lighter, more compact, have more streamlined function than our big clunky compressed air lugging paintball guns. It's just too bad they fire weenie little plastic bb's that'll bounce off a light sweater vest without anyone noticing it.

So, me myself, I'm all about IrishMac's bullet style!
Or alternatively, if I wanna be tough or make the game last a little longer, no hits count, including breaks, unless it's a torso or head shot. And then it still takes two to the chest to eliminate!

Skilled game = all hits count
Interesting game = only torso/head shots count + 2 torso shot minimum eliminations + all hits (to that area) still count.

Not sure that quite makes sense. If a paintball doesn't break, you're not always sure that it did, in fact, hit you. That is actually the POINT of counting breaks, because you know that you've been hit. Sure, we've all had bounces that we KNOW hit us and didn't break, but not always.

I'll also add that knowing your opponent's range and being able to enter the "bounce zone" and get away with it takes as much skill and audacity as counting all "hits".

Makes perfect sense, all of the paintballs are always supposed to break. You are always supposed to not get hit by them. So if you do get hit by one and it doesn't break, it means you failed to avoid getting hit, and the only reason there's even any debate as to whether you should go out or not is because a design flaw in what you got hit by, that doesn't represent any skill on your part that justifies your staying in.
So, generally, it just makes more sense for every hit to count. From a logical perspective, the goal is to hit others and not get hit by them, the break/marker is just a means of aiding us in keeping track of who f-ed up and got hit. So if it fails to function that doesn't mean you didn't f up, so since you did in fact f up and get hit, you failed in your goal and should be eliminated.
Of course that said if the rules don't count bounces then it's all a moot point. So the point is that rules that count all hits make more sense... and force you to play a better game. Which is good for you because you get better.

The point of projectiles that break/mark is to know who got hit. But there's the possibility of failure so they're aren't perfect devices. The point of only counting breaks even when we know someone's been hit is to give breaks to/make exceptions for people who got lucky. I prefer to count on skill rather than luck which is why I prefer to count bounces.

And yes, there is the possibility of getting a bounce and not knowing it. Yet another limitation of the game. So if we play a game and agree to count bounces and someone gets a bounce but doesn't know it, and no one else knows it either, well then there's no way for anyone to do anything about that. And... whadayaknow, there won't be any debate about it on the field either anyway because no one knows. But if you know you've been bounced, obviously, take a walk. And if you know you hit someone, obviously, call em out.
Inconvenient. You, betcha. But it's not any different than counting breaks either anyway. People get hit with a break all the time and don't know it, sometimes there's an argument about it, sometimes the shooter doesn't even know, and nobody notices until later. Sometimes nobody notices until much later and it's too late because the game's already over. It's all the same and none of it matters.

It is a problem for keeping score, and it's largely honor system so not a gametype to play with people you don't know, I guess. And that's why, certainly, we can't count bounces in any official competition type games where the score really matters. I'm just saying that's a problem not a good thing, because really yes, every hit should always break, it's just a sad reality we can't design paintballs that well. The fact that every hit should break is the reason why in unofficial games with people I know, I prefer to count bounces too.

As far as intentionally exploiting the design flaw of the paintball in order to enter the "bounce zone" where you can get hit all day, in theory, without getting a break goes:
Well it certainly takes smarts! And knowledge of ranges etc. It's going to be highly unpredictable with different types and grades of paint, different ranges with different barrel systems like flatline, stubs, standard, etc. etc. FS rounds. So it's probably not a highly viable or reliable tactic but I'm sure plenty of people can make it work, plenty of times and get away with it.
So it's definitely impressive.
But that said, it seems pretty obvious to me it doesn't take as much skill as maneuvering and utilizing cover well enough at all times in order to avoid any and all shots regardless of range and any other circumstance.

I mean, let's face it, the whole point of getting into the "bounce zone", however much skill that takes, is so that once you're in there you don't need to use any skill at all because you know it probably won't matter if you do get hit. The point is to be able to stand there and take all the hits your opponent can dish out without anything happening to you. I mean it takes just slightly more skill than it would take to stand completely out of range and just stare at the other guy just to piss them off. But then that's not even so much skill as knowledge right? That's just knowing what the range is where you can be hit without breaks, not actually doing anything in general.
Knowledge is good though...
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Also!

One more reason why we need simunition instead of paintball people!

Bounce my ass. If I hit you that thing I hit you with better WORK because I earned that elimination!

No such thing as a bounce with a sim round! And they work better, more accurate, longer ranged, better weapons by FAR.

I should add that to my why simunition is better thread, no bounces.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 24 March 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Makes perfect sense, all of the paintballs are always supposed to break. You are always supposed to not get hit by them. So if you do get hit by one and it doesn't break, it means you failed to avoid getting hit, and the only reason there's even any debate as to whether you should go out or not is because a design flaw in what you got hit by, that doesn't represent any skill on your part that justifies your staying in.
So, generally, it just makes more sense for every hit to count. From a logical perspective, the goal is to hit others and not get hit by them, the break/marker is just a means of aiding us in keeping track of who f-ed up and got hit. So if it fails to function that doesn't mean you didn't f up, so since you did in fact f up and get hit, you failed in your goal and should be eliminated.
Of course that said if the rules don't count bounces then it's all a moot point. So the point is that rules that count all hits make more sense... and force you to play a better game. Which is good for you because you get better.

I disagree with your definition of "malfunction." Most of the bouncers would break given the proper range. :P

The point of projectiles that break/mark is to know who got hit. But there's the possibility of failure so they're aren't perfect devices. The point of only counting breaks even when we know someone's been hit is to give breaks to/make exceptions for people who got lucky. I prefer to count on skill rather than luck which is why I prefer to count bounces.

And yes, there is the possibility of getting a bounce and not knowing it. Yet another limitation of the game. So if we play a game and agree to count bounces and someone gets a bounce but doesn't know it, and no one else knows it either, well then there's no way for anyone to do anything about that. And... whadayaknow, there won't be any debate about it on the field either anyway because no one knows. But if you know you've been bounced, obviously, take a walk. And if you know you hit someone, obviously, call em out.
Inconvenient. You, betcha. But it's not any different than counting breaks either anyway. People get hit with a break all the time and don't know it, sometimes there's an argument about it, sometimes the shooter doesn't even know, and nobody notices until later. Sometimes nobody notices until much later and it's too late because the game's already over. It's all the same and none of it matters.

The rub in this scenario comes when you have a dispute between players. One guy gets hit with a bounce and is unaware of it. Another player "observes" the bounce, and calls the other player out. Who is right? If the player who got the bounce concedes, this then allows the opposition to call people out regardless of an observed bounce. While we'd like to think that all paintballers are honest, and play with integrity, you and I both know the truth. True, we get enough disputes already over broken paint that isn't felt, but that is solved with a simple paint check. Is there broken paint the size of a quarter or not? Look, see, settle. However, when disputing a bounce hit, there is no easy way out. Ok, so playing "count bounces" will work just fine in a group of truly upstanding competitors, but, in my opinion, becomes problematic when playing with large groups of people who are mostly unknown to you.

It is a problem for keeping score, and it's largely honor system so not a gametype to play with people you don't know, I guess. And that's why, certainly, we can't count bounces in any official competition type games where the score really matters. I'm just saying that's a problem not a good thing, because really yes, every hit should always break, it's just a sad reality we can't design paintballs that well. The fact that every hit should break is the reason why in unofficial games with people I know, I prefer to count bounces too.

Playing "bounces count" is fine with friends.

Let me respond with this as well: playing "breaks count" challenges you on your offensive game while "bounces count" challenges you on your defensive game. If you play breaks, you have to work hard to make doggone sure your paint will break when you shoot. Playing bounces actually gives the advantage to the offensive game by increasing the likelihood of people long balling, and they don't have to make sure the paint breaks, which requires closer range. Doesn't getting into closer range require quite a bit of skill? Of course it does, because, truly, it is the whole point of paintball in the first place. :)
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123

#21 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

"bounce zone"... hahaha! That is a good one. I've had paint bounce on me at 2 feet away. And I've broken paint on others at 350 feet away. So what distance exactly is this "bounce zone"?

I get breaks at all kinds of ranges, and I get bounces at all kinds of ranges too. The better your paint, the more likely it is to break, but even good paint can bounce if it hits the side of a mask. Here is a relatively close shot (probably about 50 feet away) that I filmed this weekend.

Did that break? I have no clue, I would guess it did, but as usual when a paintball has a glancing blow, it doesn't leave noticable paint where it hits, as the shell usually breaks, and the paint sprays. So he could have been covered in paint on his neck, but, how do you "see" that if you are the player?

The majority of the fields in our sport set up a situation where people are downright mean to others, just to ensure a break...

I don't play that way, so my field is "honor ball" if you are hit, you are out. No need for a huge stream of paint to ensure a break... No need for shooting and shooting at someone in the open just to make sure ONE of those shots breaks and the ref sees it before it is wiped off.

Just play with honor, if you are hit, you are out. A much simpler way to play. Everyone uses a LOT less paint, and there is no need to bonus ball. One or two shots in the air is all you need. (the second shot in case your paint flies funky...)

Our accepted "rules" for paintball promote overshooting, and bonus balling as paint isn't perfect. If you rely on breaks as the only way to eliminate someone then you are promoting more paint use, and more bonus balling. Good for the people selling paint, as you buy more paint, and good for the field, as you shoot more paint (and buy more paint) but bad for the sport, as new players are often lit up and then people wonder why they don't come back!

#22 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostFreeEnterprise, on 27 March 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

"bounce zone"... hahaha! That is a good one. I've had paint bounce on me at 2 feet away. And I've broken paint on others at 350 feet away. So what distance exactly is this "bounce zone"?

I get breaks at all kinds of ranges, and I get bounces at all kinds of ranges too. The better your paint, the more likely it is to break, but even good paint can bounce if it hits the side of a mask.

When I said bounce zone, I meant that out at the farthest edge of a paintball's ability to travel, before it hits the ground, it slows considerably and is FAR more likely to bounce. That does not rule out freak long-ball breaks, nor short-ball bounces. If you walk into the outmost range of someone shooting, you can stand there while ball after ball bounces off. This, in fact, is one of the criticisms we've had of the flatline (we've never tried an apex), that even though our paintballs flew further, and we could hit people much further away, the paintballs slowed so much that they didn't break upon reaching the target. Believe me, we've done it with many different types of paintballs of varying quality with much the same results.

Putting that part of the argument aside, I did appreciate some of your other comments and reasons for counting all hits VS just counting breaks. Bonus balling especially.

#23 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 24 March 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

View PostShipwreck!, on 24 March 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

I disagree with your definition of "malfunction." Most of the bouncers would break given the proper range. :P

Whoa dude. Of course it's a malfunction. As per the definition of the term malfunction, it's not a matter of subjective perception. The paintball gun is supposed to shoot as far as it possibly can. We don't play at such short ranges because that's what we intend, it's because of the limitations of the technology. Trust me, in general, players would love to have 800 yard markers as much as manufacturers would love to be able to make them, but we can't because given the state of the art it's not possible. That's not to mention that of course paint that could be fired as far and still break at any and all ranges would be nice. Therefore those crappy ridiculously short ranges where paintballs are most likely to break are not by any means "proper" ranges. They're just the best ranges we can achieve with this generally pretty crappy technology. Trust me, the engineers making these things (markers and paint) aren't going, "But how do we make it fly 150 feet but only break at 75, because that's what we want it to do." The paint is absolutely supposed to break whenever it hits you no matter what the range is! And when it hits you and doesn't break that is by non-subjective, non-debateable, definition... a malfunction.

The rub in this scenario comes when you have a dispute between players. One guy gets hit with a bounce and is unaware of it. Another player "observes" the bounce, and calls the other player out. Who is right? If the player who got the bounce concedes, this then allows the opposition to call people out regardless of an observed bounce. While we'd like to think that all paintballers are honest, and play with integrity, you and I both know the truth. True, we get enough disputes already over broken paint that isn't felt, but that is solved with a simple paint check. Is there broken paint the size of a quarter or not? Look, see, settle. However, when disputing a bounce hit, there is no easy way out. Ok, so playing "count bounces" will work just fine in a group of truly upstanding competitors, but, in my opinion, becomes problematic when playing with large groups of people who are mostly unknown to you.

Which is exactly why I said, it can't be used for tournaments, and is best reserved for games with people you know personally and trust to play fair. Again, we're talking about unavoidable limitations of the game. Sure we can't make it work right all the time because our paintball technology sucks (all hits should be breaks but we can't make a paintball that breaks all the time) and our fellow paintball players suck (they'll cheat, claim not being hit when they know they are, claim getting hits when they know they didn't etc, plus perception isn't perfect so even when there's not cheating there is still confusion). But these arguments don't negate the value of the playing all hits thing. Hehe. You see, I never said this could work all the time and this is the way all games have to be played, the point is that it's a better way to play regardless of whether it can always be used, and whenever it can be used it should be, if you wanna play better! Crappy paintball guns, crappy paint, and crappy players don't change the fact that this is the least crappy way to play whenever possible!

Playing "bounces count" is fine with friends.

Let me respond with this as well: playing "breaks count" challenges you on your offensive game while "bounces count" challenges you on your defensive game. If you play breaks, you have to work hard to make doggone sure your paint will break when you shoot. Playing bounces actually gives the advantage to the offensive game by increasing the likelihood of people long balling, and they don't have to make sure the paint breaks, which requires closer range. Doesn't getting into closer range require quite a bit of skill? Of course it does, because, truly, it is the whole point of paintball in the first place. :)

So you're saying that the merit of breaks only is that it forces players to get in closer to make sure they get the break. While all hits allows everyone to hang back and try to longball. Well you've certainly got some kind of point there. But then even in a game where all hits count and everyone's camping/hanging back/longballing, really all that's going to happen is that everyone's going to play more conservatively and more carefully, but at the end of the day once everyone's dug in nothing is going to happen and the game can't be won by either side until somebody makes a move. If everyone long balls, it's a stalemate. So long ball or not, someone will always have to get in close to try to make something happen and advance their lines, so at the end of the day when all hits count, people are going to be thinking a lot more carefully about how they're going to do that, developing and employing tactics to accomplish it etc. and it enables a mix of individual strategies. When longballing is more viable, that enables people to do it because they don't have to worry about racking lots of bounces and accomplishing nothing. But not everyone wants to play that way and if everyone's doing nothing but that nobodies going to win so there's still going to be plenty of people charging. This enables players to make choices about how they WANT to play because either way they go will work, and then it provides more and greater varieties of challenges for all of the players because not everyone is playing the same way, so their opposition is employing a range of strategies that all have to be dealt with.

So if breaks only does have a huge effect on how the game gets played it's likely to be more of a dumbing down factor that turns the whole game into a mindless run and gun, where everyone is charging all the time because it doesn't matter because that's all you can do, and that the only way anyone can get anything done. Which has never been the kind of game play I've been interested in anyway.

With all hits count you're still going to get big pushes, charges, and players going the close quarters route, and they'll be covered on either side by long ballers, picking off the advancing opposition that fouls up and doesn't use cover effectively, and every thing is going to be a lot better thought out and carefully planned and executed. Which is, a more intelectual multi-faceted gameplay, which is more fun and more challenging and requires more skill than just "everybody run in shooting!"

This post has been edited by Shipwreck!: 30 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostFreeEnterprise, on 27 March 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Wear a kilt and rock a little extra "natural padding"... Mike Paxson can light you up from 50 feet when you're in the middle of the open and they all bounce *true story*
Fulda Gap last year. He finally shot me out when he shot the chain I wear around my neck. Then he got shot out, and many laughs were had.

...then his beard bonus balled me and shot out a Tank.

This post has been edited by Pirate: 09 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#25 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

I don't really know much about how others play paintball, as I pretty much just play at my own field in my backyard. But, when I do go play at other places, I seem to have a distinct advantage over my opponents as I can put paint on targets MUCH further than others even try... And at those fields it is breaks only, and I get tons of long range kills.

Watch our games on youtube, you can see they are very fast paced, with LOTS of rushing, and strategy. Guys don't hang out in the open, as they know they will get shot, and trust me, it isn't just me longballing at my field, just about every player there can hit you at long range... You can see paint hitting the trees in front of me in lots of my long range shots! So they are almost getting me, when I am shooting back at them.

At our last event I captured my longest kill on film to date. 115 YARDS! This is what I designed my ZoomCam to capture, those shots that are so far away, that without a massive amount of optical zoom, you would never see the hits. I put the contour clip at the beginning so you can see just how far away he was, and the best part is, that player I shot was filming himself with his Go Pro 3 turned toward him, so you can see him get hit and raise his hand from my ZoomCam and from his cam!

#26 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Went to a local field recently, and hit a kid about 20 feet away from me... TWICE... In the head...

BOTH bounced! So clearly 20 feet or more is a bounce zone, and we should stick to barrel tagging if we really want to count our kills. (I'm not being serious, just kidding to liven up the forum!).

Here is the video, bounces can be clearly seen at 3:50 captured with my ZoomCam!

#27 User is offline   Iouda 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yeah. most airsoft guns don't hurt enough, that being said I have a welt on the back of my head from last week-end. A high end gun HURTS!! like the D-Boys 450+fps, Or the aim top SVD sniper at about 590+FPS now that will break skin from a good ways off, through an BDU jacket

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users