• You cannot reply to this topic

Tech-T Zero Kick Hammer Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LoneScout 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Lonescout

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:12 PM

Recently, I bought a newer Zero kick hammer package for my Tippmann A-5, which has been modified with several other upgrades to look like an M4 assault rifle.

When I first bought the Zero Kick Hammer, I was impressed with how much lighter it was then my solid stock hammer. Tech T did a fantastic job developing this. It feels like it is almost half the weight of the stock hammers on the Tippmann X7 and Tippmann A-5. The only problem I had was that Zero Kick Hammers can bend the stock spring in your markers for some reason. I put one in my X7 the night before a big game up at Canobie Paintball in New Hampshire and as soon as I used the marker, there was a malfunction. I discovered the spring was bent. Not a huge problem. I got a new spring later in the week and worked fine.

In the newest packages, which I am doing a review on here, the Zero Kick Hammers packages now come with a new and stronger spring so it fixes the problem with bent springs. My guess is that they had the same problem come up, so they put in the effort to send out a high performing spring with the hammer so that would not happen. Smart thinking on their part as a company.

In any case I used some of the TechT Gun Drops (the new stickier solution) on the new hammer and installed it in my A-5. The following week, I took it to the field.

Needless to say...I was impressed by the hammer's performance. After the first couple of shots, there was no question that there was a difference. I had more control of my target grouping at a good distance away from me. There was very little kick back from the marker cycling. I wanted to do more testing of course, so after the game started, I moved forwards and pulled the trigger as fast as I could at a position and I noticed three things...First, my A-5 barely moved. It stayed right on target. That would have never happened with my stock hammer in there. Two, my rate of fire increased slightly. And third, which I noticed a couple of weeks later, my air efficiency went up a bit too. I was shooting as normal and my HPA tank gauge moved much slower after a few hoppers full of paint and a few pods. It was like using a completely different marker. I was very happy with my decision to buy this.

Pros:
Lightens up your marker a little bit
Increases Rate of Fire
Increases Accuracy
Increases Air Efficiency
Versatility: May be used with any of these markers: Tippmann X7, Tippmann A5, Tippmann 98 Custom, Tippmann 98 Original, Tippmann Custom Pro Platinum, U.S. Army Alpha Black, U.S. Army Alpha Black Tactical, BT Delta Elite, BT Delta, and all BT-4 Models

Cons:
TechT fixed this problem...but I tried using my stock spring once before a tournament on my X-7 and It bent the spring...making my marker unusable for the day. Use the provided spring in your marker and you won't have any issues.
Will not work with 98 Customs with ACT...see below.
Price: At close to $45 it is a little on the pricey side, but if you want a solid enhancement for your marker, it is worth the investment.

Overall:
I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to enhance any of the markers listed above. There will be a noticeable difference in performance when you install this upgrade to your marker. Try it out and you will not be disappointed. I know they have a new bolt out specifically for 98 with ACT, but I have no experience with it, and I am not sure if the new Project Salvo marker can use this in it's internals...I can't see why not, seeing as the Alpha Black has a similar bolt in it.

#2 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Nelos

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

Good review, I'm surprised no one has commented on it yet. I've been weighing the pros & cons of the Zero Kick Hammer for some time now, and most of the people I've talked to about it have said that if you buy one of these... Then essentially you're an idiot. I'm still a little fuzzy as to why, but that was indeed the verdict. So thanks for this review, I think I'll ignore the others and pick up one just to see for myself.

#3 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

Riddle me this: If Tippmann thought it was a good idea to make the hammer lighter, why didn't they? Wouldn't that have been a great selling point for the X-7? They modified the cyclone for it and advertised the heck out of it. If they thought it was a good idea, I'm sure they would have done it as well. "New X-7 with new lighter hammer for reduced weight and kick!"

Few questions for the reviewer:
1. You said it increased efficiency. Any numbers or tests to prove this? Or just that you think the gauge on your tank moved less?
2. How did it increase your rate of fire? The stock bolt will cycle at over 40 cycles per second, so the limiting factor is the trigger and your finger. How did the bolt change the trigger or your finger?

A lightened hammer will reduce the felt kick of the marker. Can't argue with that. But I have serious doubts about the other claims you made regarding the rate of fire and efficiency, especially without numbers to back it up. $45 to reduce a small amount of kick. That's probably why people have talked down about it, Nelos.

#4 User is offline   weeebeep 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:weeebeep

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

Okay... we have a troll here. (trying to be calm) No trolling! theres no need to get an emotional response out of anyone in any forum.

However, The techt bolt increases the cyclic rate of the marker so the breech stays open longer assuming your shooting the same ROF. this allows the paintball to drop in further than in the slower cycling stock bolt. also due to the increased cyclic rate, and the reduced weight of the hammer, the bolt gets blown rearward alot faster, allowing the valve to close faster. As you may know, most tippmanns use way more air then they have to.

as to why tippmann wouldnt make a lighter bolt, its because their marketing things just like everyone else. shure the cyclone is great, however, if the marker cycles faster, the cyclone can feed more paint.

allow me to use the example of the x7 bolt cycling at 40bps. if you would try to get 30bps out of your marker you would need to have the paint moving into the barrel of the marker 1 full round in a quarter of the time it takes to actualy shoot the paint, as that is how long the breech is fully open. 30bps(shooting) + 10bps(at rest) = 40bps.

if you can increase the cyclic rate to say, 50, you can squeeze more shots out. assuming the same time, 36bps(shooting) + 13bps(rest) = 50bps at about the same ratio of time at rest to time cycling.

#5 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

View Postweeebeep, on Sep 16 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

Okay... we have a troll here. (trying to be calm) No trolling! theres no need to get an emotional response out of anyone in any forum.

That seems to be the case with your comment. You are trolling.

Jackson made comments without creating a war. Your calling him a troll just adds to the desire to be emotional.

#6 User is offline   Zing 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Zing

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

Good review, would it be worth buying just for uping the cycle rate? if you had a stock a5, and added this one thing, what would the max cycle rate be without chopping balls, assuming trigger pulling wasnt an issue.

And i appreciate Jackson for debating the speed factor, and Weeebeep for disputing against Jackson, but i'm going to assume the creator of this topic, and after all the effort he put into it to make it an effective review, is correct and it does increase both ROF and air effeciency. But by how much?

#7 User is offline   DonnCath 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:DonnCath

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

View PostZing, on Sep 17 2009, 02:47 PM, said:

Good review, would it be worth buying just for uping the cycle rate? if you had a stock a5, and added this one thing, what would the max cycle rate be without chopping balls, assuming trigger pulling wasnt an issue.

And i appreciate Jackson for debating the speed factor, and Weeebeep for disputing against Jackson, but i'm going to assume the creator of this topic, and after all the effort he put into it to make it an effective review, is correct and it does increase both ROF and air effeciency. But by how much?

I had one...
for $45, I could have bought ANYTHING else. It was a game of swap out parts on the A5 all day until I can actually chrono with the ZKH at a velocity worth shooting. Meanwhile, everyone else is playing paintball. I sold that JUNK. I wouldnt pay $5 for one. But if you don't believe me, take the $45 plunge...

#8 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

View PostDonnCath, on Mar 3 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

View PostZing, on Sep 17 2009, 02:47 PM, said:

I had one...
for $45, I could have bought ANYTHING else. It was a game of swap out parts on the A5 all day until I can actually chrono with the ZKH at a velocity worth shooting. Meanwhile, everyone else is playing paintball. I sold that JUNK. I wouldnt pay $5 for one. But if you don't believe me, take the $45 plunge...

Why would it effect your velocity at all? I can see how it would improve air efficiency as it takes less air to propel the hammer...? (Lacking knowledge on firing mechanism of marker)

I just bought one (ACT) for my 98C (in my opinion, kicks harder than the A5) but have yet to try it with paint (dry fires fine).

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xtdOALZN6Ag --> Video TechT did to show cycling comparison (stock vs Zero Kick)

#9 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:13 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 4 2010, 12:59 AM, said:

Why would it effect your velocity at all? I can see how it would improve air efficiency as it takes less air to propel the hammer...? (Lacking knowledge on firing mechanism of marker)

I just bought one (ACT) for my 98C (in my opinion, kicks harder than the A5) but have yet to try it with paint (dry fires fine).

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xtdOALZN6Ag --> Video TechT did to show cycling comparison (stock vs Zero Kick)

With less mass in the hammer, less mass hits the valve stem and therefore less gas is released.

#10 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

View PostJackson, on Mar 3 2010, 11:13 PM, said:

With less mass in the hammer, less mass hits the valve stem and therefore less gas is released.

Though technically due to increased acceleration/velocity, it hits with similar force...?

#11 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 4 2010, 01:10 PM, said:

Though technically due to increased acceleration/velocity, it hits with similar force...?

Physics time!!!

Kinetic Energy = 1/2m*v^2
The bolt gets it's energy from the spring. Assuming the spring is kept the same, both bolts have the same energy when they hit the valve. So if you solve for the velocity in terms of the constant Energy of the spring (E) and the mass you get

v=(2E/m)^(1/2) or the square root of two times the energy divided by the mass.

Now momentum is P=m*v

Plug in the previous equation into the momentum you get P=(2Em)^(1/2)

The change in momentum is equal to the impulse which is force times time.

It boils down to F = [(2Em)^(1/2)]/t

Force is proportional to the square root of the mass. As the mass goes up, the valve is hit with more force.

#12 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

This may be a completely empty post, for which I apologize, been up all night doing an essay... x.x

Buuut I am kinda curious with this talk of a "reduced kick." I guess I was just unaware that a marker had any real kick to it? Sure there is some recoil but nothing that one doesn't automatically compensate for...

#13 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

View PostJackson, on Mar 4 2010, 01:09 PM, said:

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 4 2010, 01:10 PM, said:

Physics time!!!

Kinetic Energy = 1/2m*v^2
The bolt gets it's energy from the spring. Assuming the spring is kept the same, both bolts have the same energy when they hit the valve. So if you solve for the velocity in terms of the constant Energy of the spring (E) and the mass you get

v=(2E/m)^(1/2) or the square root of two times the energy divided by the mass.

Now momentum is P=m*v

Plug in the previous equation into the momentum you get P=(2Em)^(1/2)

The change in momentum is equal to the impulse which is force times time.

It boils down to F = [(2Em)^(1/2)]/t

Force is proportional to the square root of the mass. As the mass goes up, the valve is hit with more force.

Actually, the original spring is replaced with a stronger spring in the newer kits :)

And in response to last post, from what I've seen it seems to me that ... speedball style guns due to "non-blowback" type firing mechanisms have less recoil? No personal experience there however!

#14 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

Even if one were to compare a Canadian Tire 98 to a Ego, I think there is less to do with recoil as there is to do with just the sheer weight difference of the markers.

#15 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

View Post82ndx, on Mar 4 2010, 01:37 PM, said:

Even if one were to compare a Canadian Tire 98 to a Ego, I think there is less to do with recoil as there is to do with just the sheer weight difference of the markers.

How about physical size of the hammers to begin with? Again, haven't seen an electropneumatic, but the 98C hammer is a beast.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users