• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speak up What do players want from a scenario Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mako 

• Team Captain
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

Please tell us what do players want from a scenario.

Let your imaginations run wild.

1. showers
2. prize packages (what kinds)
3. price (what do you think is fair)
4. field up grades (what kinds)
5. game styles (points vs missions completed totals)
6. genres (western, sci-fi, real war scenarios)
7.What keeps you from showing up (besides wives, previous engagment..see wives, or lack of funds...see wives)

please let it all hang out. If you feel the need to bash someone (producer, team, field owner) please don't. Just let us know how to make things better. We are listening!

Mako

Mud, sand, tar, soot, coal, oil, grease, ink....ha ha I have dirty words in my sig!

#2 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

Something new and different. Try to come up with a completely different game.

This post has been edited by Ecellg: 06 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#3 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

what i want from any game that the field can have any real control over

-and organised and informed ref staff that has more than a basic 'here you go' education
- plenty of port o johns or other bathroom facilities.
- prices need to reflect the game, if pyrotechs and lots of other flashy happenings occur then i dont mind paying more, if its just a basic non flash game then 30 a day or 50 a weekend seem about right
- a few bases that provide a real use are nice, four walls 8 feet tall with one door is not what i would call usefull

assuming that your event is anywhere that i would call 'close' and most arent, the think that will keep me from coming back will be bad refs, and unfair costs.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#4 User is offline   BONUSROUND 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BONUSROUND

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

1) Showers
If you were hosting a three to seven day event, showers would be great. Camping is also a good thing to think about. An open field is okay, but actual campground style camping spots with water and possibly electricity for tents as well as RVs, I think would be a good draw as well as bringing players back.
2) Prize packages
To me, prize packages aren’t really a big ordeal. I come to events to enjoy the playing as well as the story lines. That’s not to say that prize packages are not important. If you’re giving out prize packages, try to keep the prizes related to paintball.
3) Price
This is a sensitive subject since it involves the pocketbook. Let’s look at the cost of some of the events around my area. For my wife and I to go to one event costs us $45 pre-registration per person, $15 for unlimited air per person, $55 per case of prepaid paint, $10 camping fee per night {unimproved—grass ground, un-smoothed} total cost for a two day, two night event can range between $305 if pre-registered and $365 for at the door. This does not include gas money, food money, childcare, and there is no food at the location. If you did not bring your own food, you had to drive 30 miles into town to get to the nearest store or restaurant. Granted, the events are enjoyable, and we would like to attend another one, but the cost at around $500 in total for a two-day event is what has been keeping us home. Entry $35 to $50 and include the air, paint start it at $40 and go to $65, camping $10 to $15 (if improved: fire pits, water, electricity, flat level ground for tents and RV spots).
4) Field up grades
City warfare 3x3 blocks, western towns, forest/trees, trench warfare, speedball/bunkers
5) Game styles
(Points vs. missions completed totals) Both are good. Also, something to think about is “Is the game continuous play or is it segmented?”
6) Game genres
I like battle reenactments (WWII, Civil War, Vietnam, etc). Western and Sci-Fi are good. Video game storylines (we had the Hitman game come to our local field) are also good themes as well as movies if you can secure the rights.
7) What keeps you from showing up?
Well, my wife plays too, so KIDS and childcare. It is difficult sometimes to find someone to watch our two boys for a weekend event with everyone’s lives being so busy. Money can also be an issue. We are mainly a one income family, so our budget is kept pretty tight.
8) Vehicles :laugh:
Vehicles: tanks, APC's, and armored cars are cool as long as safety is kept the number one priority. Rules for these vehicles must be strictly enforced. Cannons/mortars are also cool to see on the field.
9) Refs
Refs can make or break an event. If your refs are not active and maintaining the safety and enjoyment of the game, as well as making sure that people follow the rules, your event is doomed. Good refs are often what I hear about when people are relating about an event that they enjoyed. Safety is also a major factor if we return to an event or field.

I like the fact that you are looking to the players for their opinions and thoughts. Too bad you're in Florida and not in Oregon. :happy:
Audacity is a sword that needs to be drawn from time to time.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...ew.asp?id=46213

#5 User is offline   mothman 

• Mothman
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MOTHMAN

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

View Postmako, on Sep 3 2008, 02:19 PM, said:

Please tell us what do players want from a scenario.

Let your imaginations run wild.

1. showers

Good if you have em, ok if you don't.

Again, good if you got em, sorta ok if you don't but doesn't make your games look as professional.

$50 is medium price. $60 is high so it better be good. $70 or $80 no way!

Most definitely. If it always looks the same, it's not as fun or as exciting. Players like to try new things out. Change it up. Definitely a city, two story buildings, or a castle or fort. Trenches work. Bunkers in sparse area's help. Good road system. Fun bases. Watch towers. Light stations. Make it cool, fun and interesting to look at.

Or a middle ground, play with it, see what really gives each player their own good time.

New stories, even if it's WWII, give us a new twist on it. Watch for ques from new movies.

7.What keeps you from showing up (besides wives, previous engagment..see wives, or lack of funds...see wives)
The amount of events I can pack into one year. You just can't do them all, so yours better have something good to offer.

This post has been edited by mothman: 03 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

#6 User is offline   mako 

• Team Captain
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the in depth replies. I feel the same way about the prize packages like to see em, but don't need em.

Okay so the info I am getting is concentrate on the field and staff.

Makes sense.

I know defendable bases are needed so what suggestions do you have for those?

Outer perimeter wall? How high? how many ways in?
Would a draw bidge be too much.

Towers? How tall would work?

If I were to put a/c and power in the bases would that be too much?

I ask these questions becuase I know what I would like to see as a player, but the bottom line is, I need to accomodate the customers.

Mud, sand, tar, soot, coal, oil, grease, ink....ha ha I have dirty words in my sig!

#7 User is offline   BONUSROUND 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BONUSROUND

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:48 AM

1) Defendable Bases
Look at Japanese and German defenses in WW2. Most field owners don’t know how to do overlapping machine gun fire, not to mention, know what Spider holes “covered sniping pits” are. Study pillbox designs and learn from them. Position the buildings and the windows to cover the entrances of the bases as well as other buildings. When building defenses, look at the ground that it is going to be on. What are the avenues of attacks and put the highest amount of firepower facing those avenues. The problems that I see the most are: 1) walls not tall enough with no roof “getting shot in the back from over the top of the wall”, 2) not enough windows to cover the lines of attack, 3) not able to step to the side of a window, 4) not enough cover over the top of the window for head protection, 5) doorways not wide enough.

Don’t just cut holes in walls and call them windows. Know that a 2’ x 2’ window is the biggest window that you ever want to use. The four types of windows that I like are: 1) 2’H x 2’W “square”, 2) 1-2’H x 6-9”W “arrow slit”, 3) 6-9”H x 2-3’W “machine gun nest”, 4) 6-9”H x 1’W “gun slit”. Also how high off the ground the window is should be taken into consideration. Not all players are 6’ tall, I myself am only 5’2” and I paintball with 10 year olds that are about 4’ tall. One window should cover one line of fire as well as be attacked from one line of fire; otherwise, the defender will be overwhelmed by the attackers.

2) Outer perimeter wall? How high? How many ways in? Would a drawbridge be too much?
Perimeter walls are great. 3-4’ tall is a good height; also consider putting gun slits in the wall “top of the gun slit should one foot below the top of the wall”. Also include breaks in the perimeter walls with short sidewalls on both sides of the break.
Bases should have two ways in per side; this allows fast in and out for defenders as well as attackers. A drawbridge would be cool BUT “SAFETY” would be big problem, you don’t want to crush a person with a drawbridge!

3) If I was to put a/c and power in the bases would that be too much?
I personally think that a/c and power in the bases could useful in many ways: 1) repairs of the bases, 2) lights for night games, 3) heat for winter, 4) power for compressors, etc. You would need to use “outside covered style plug-ins” that are used on houses, so that paint couldn’t get into the outlet. Also think about breaker switches to shut off the power.

This post has been edited by BONUSROUND: 05 September 2008 - 06:01 AM

Audacity is a sword that needs to be drawn from time to time.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...ew.asp?id=46213

#8 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

^^^^ You might want to consider breakers on the individual outlet, so the entire base isn't out of power if paint gets in said outlet and causes a short/surge. As for bases, make sure that there is good cover moving up to the base. Bases must be hard to assualt, not impossible, so when you put something up, have some guys play on it, see if after 10 games, the attackers have won atleast 3. If they haven't change teams, then try again. If they still haven't won 3, remove some defenses or add more cover for attackers. Try to get the attackers to defenders ratio to atleast 2:1. If anything more than 5:1 is required, change it up, as the defense has to much of an advantage.

This post has been edited by Ecellg: 06 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#9 User is offline   mako 

• Team Captain
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Great, intelligent feedback!

When playing scenarios does it seem there is too much emphasis on attacking the base? If we were to make a Strong, and I mean Strong, base would that help deter players from going rouge to run off to the enemy's base?

Or what if I made (attack) strutcures at maximum range, that way a base could be under direct fire, but it would be more of a bother then a threat?

Mako

#10 User is offline   Gilman 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Gilman aka Gila Monster

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

I'm usually a solo player so here's my perspective:

1. showers - great for campers I usually get a hotel.
2. prize packages - I could do without it since they usually goto teams or large groups, I would prefere drawings.
3. price - 30 - 55 sounds good especially if it is a field that draws alot of players. It would be nice if there was a 1 day price, often I can't play both days.
4. field up grades - trenches, more bunkers, drive paths for tanks.
5. game styles (points vs missions completed totals) - either seems to end with the same results, people are always going to dispute the results.
6. genres - more scifi, then you can make up what ever you want and it won't be subject to silly PC rules like no sieg Hiel or no swastikas. I am neither a skinhead or Nazi lover, but if it's WWII with Germans then there are things that go with it.
7.What keeps you from showing up - over inflated admission and paint prices. Charging $75 to play + air + $55-75 for paint is just gouging. When its a big venue and loads of paint will be sold it shouldn't be priced at 2-3X what it cost. Paying that much for paint that isn't worth $40, in some cases, is criminal.
Black ULE Automag w/ .689 / .692 CP barrel, ULT, Lvl 10 kit, DOP drop w/ on/off, Black Apache Ricochet hopper, & 68/4500 Crossfire HPA tank.

#11 Guest_Woodland Warrior_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

1. showers
-I don't really care. I don't usually camp overnight
-Not a big deal for me. I never win anything anyways. I was born unlucky
-Prices that reflect what the game is. If it is a big field with forts/trenches/whatever, I don't mind paying more to play. The costs of those things are enormous. If its a little run down field with very little cover/bunkers, I don't want to pay $80 a case and $40 for admission.
4. field up grades
-A field that is interesting, challenging, and fun for everyone, but most importantly, SAFE. I don't want to have my life in jeapordy because the field doesn't bother with anything safety related.
5. game styles
-I like the point styles. It makes for some very interesting firefights, and everyone can do it, not just people who feel like going on a mission.
6. genres
-I don't care, as long as it will keep me interested.
7.What keeps you from showing up
-Lack of staff, or rude staff. Paint and air prices that are outragous. I will not pay $80 for some crappy paint that I can get at Dunhams for $30.

#12 User is offline   Flip 

• Liaison/Demolitions Team 10th Mountain
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Flip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

1. showers

Actual restrooms with running water (flush toilets) are more impotant than showers to me. In a 24/26 hr Scenario I doubt I'd take the time to shower - maybe post game?

Prize packages normally come down to the event sponsors - I don't show up becasue I might win something but it's fun to be in the randon drawing at the end of the event.

Hard to put a price on fun - If it's a well run event on a evenly built field I'd pay extra. Badly run event on an inconsistent field - well you get the idea-

This again is wide open - A well run event with a good storyline will be a great game no matter what the field is like. As long as one side doesn't have a huge advantage due to field set-up anything works for me.

Not sure what you mean here - In RP Scenario missions ARE points so they are one in the same? In Scenario I don't think elims should be counted for points - that's what tourney ball is for. GK's can be worth a couple points but you don't want to turn the game into a "hunt the opposing commander" game. If a specific mission calls for assassinating a specifc Role Player then by all means but trying to track elims at a huge event is almost impossible and leads to cheating.

As long as it is well thought out anything works - I'd try to stay away from recent real world events (to be PC) but again if it's well run it really doesn't matter. I won't choose not to attend an event due to what it's based on.

7.What keeps you from showing up

Games advertised as a "Scenario" that turn into a standard big-game format. Just becasue a game is adverised as "the Tet Offensive" doesn't make it a Scenario to a RP Player like me.

Things I like to see at games:

Pro-Shop with plenty of spare parts and a decent gun-tech - open as long as the game is on.

Good affordable food vendor - open as long as the game is on.

Vendor booths/trade show - Not really needed - esp if the pro-shop is well stocked but being able to check new gear out from Vendors adds to any game.

This post has been edited by Flip: 10 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

Flip
Liaison/Demolitions
Team 10th Mountain

#13 User is offline   Flip 

• Liaison/Demolitions Team 10th Mountain
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Flip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

BASES:

Just my opinion, but I'm against fortress style bases unless it ties directly into the story-line. Bases should be defendable to a point but I think a fortress would be detrimental to the game. If you've ever been on the bad side of a hot-insert, you'll know where I'm coming from :( A game could deteriorate to one side battling the entire game to re-take thier base if it's a fortress.

Have the fotresses out on the field as major objectives - that will keep battles going and keep the game alive.

Power would be nice for base radios & possibly lights for the night portion, but I think AC is going a bit overboard. If you've ever had to go in and out from outdoor/heat to AC then back out you'll know what I mean. Save the AC for the pro-shop/caffateria in the safe zone.
Flip
Liaison/Demolitions
Team 10th Mountain

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users