• You cannot reply to this topic

MacDev 68/4500 Air System One heck of a tank Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

Just got my new MacDev LegionAir 68/4500 system. I bought the high pressure version for my Automags. Besides, it's always easier to get a screw on regulator to lower the pressure than it is to raise it. First, the tank itself: it's a Luxfer cylinder, so you know it's quality. It's well-glazed, and looks like glass. Now the regulator, which is what makes MacDevs so great. The MacDev regulator is famous for both its small size and its performance, and this tank is no different. So, after having it filled, I gassed it up and adjusted my velocity adjuster. The first thing I noticed is that my trigger is much more responsive than it was with the old PMI 72/3000 tank I had. This means the pressure is set a bit higher, which is good. It appears to be set around 900-950 PSI. The trigger honestly was a bit sloppy at the 850 PSI the PMI tank was set at. I did some rapid fire, and it absolutely rips. No signs of shootdown or outrunning the regulator. My Automag is VERY happy with this tank.

This tank cost between $10 and $20 more than comparable tanks, such as Nitro Duck and Crossfire, but when you're spending that kind of money on a tank you might as well get the best. It makes no sense to go all the way into the $210-$220 range, and then cut corners because you're not willing to spend $230. And after my experiences with the 72/3000, I also learned it doesn't pay to cut corners there. The weight difference is 2-3 pods. You'll thank yourself later for getting a better tank.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#2 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

hmm intresting i like it ,good review , MACDEV is Australian right
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#3 User is offline   warpig 

• PipPip
  • Brigade Name:warpig

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

View PostQC MAD KID, on May 23 2007, 03:47 PM, said:

hmm intresting i like it ,good review , MACDEV is Australian right

Correct.

Nice review. I have a 45/45 lp legionair and I love it.

#4 User is offline   arawn 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

Although I don't have a LegionAIR, I've been using a MacDev Conquest for a few years and love: featherlight, uber-consistent, and durable.

B.

#5 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

My tank started leaking at the gauge. I'm going to have to get it fixed. Not sure if it's the gauge itself or the sealant around it. Very slow leak.

Update: Got it fixed. Was just the sealant. The local store took the gauge off and resealed it.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 18 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"

#6 User is offline   warpig 

• PipPip

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

#7 User is offline   Deranged Gecko55 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:DERANGED FRIED MONKEY

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

link?
When in doubt, duct it!

If we can't do it, it doesn't need to be done"-SABRE

Woodsballin's my business and business is good!

#8 User is offline   warpig 

• PipPip

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

View PostDeranged Gecko55, on Jun 30 2007, 01:34 PM, said:

link?

I'm assuming that you want a link to where you can find them...Here you go.

#9 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

Well, the gauge started leaking again. I got the gauge replaced, and haven't had any further problems. If I do, though, I'm going to get a different kind of gauge.

#10 User is offline   PAINTBALLACE 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on Apr 12 2007, 03:26 PM, said:

Just got my new MacDev LegionAir 68/4500 system. I bought the high pressure version for my Automags. Besides, it's always easier to get a screw on regulator to lower the pressure than it is to raise it. First, the tank itself: it's a Luxfer cylinder, so you know it's quality. It's well-glazed, and looks like glass. Now the regulator, which is what makes MacDevs so great. The MacDev regulator is famous for both its small size and its performance, and this tank is no different. So, after having it filled, I gassed it up and adjusted my velocity adjuster. The first thing I noticed is that my trigger is much more responsive than it was with the old PMI 72/3000 tank I had. This means the pressure is set a bit higher, which is good. It appears to be set around 900-950 PSI. The trigger honestly was a bit sloppy at the 850 PSI the PMI tank was set at. I did some rapid fire, and it absolutely rips. No signs of shootdown or outrunning the regulator. My Automag is VERY happy with this tank.

This tank cost between $10 and $20 more than comparable tanks, such as Nitro Duck and Crossfire, but when you're spending that kind of money on a tank you might as well get the best. It makes no sense to go all the way into the $210-$220 range, and then cut corners because you're not willing to spend $230. And after my experiences with the 72/3000, I also learned it doesn't pay to cut corners there. The weight difference is 2-3 pods. You'll thank yourself later for getting a better tank.

That's a fine and dandy review you have there, but the comments about price I disagree with. If you did some research, you would realize that "comparable tanks, such as Nitro Duck and Crossfire" perform just as well as your LegionAir. The Nitro Duck I-Reg also has a Luxfer bottle, has a 110 (approximately) gram reg (few ounces lighter than Legionair), Tuff Skin coating, and the option of buying several pistons which can change the output pressure of the I-Reg (1000, 800, 600, 400). I would think that if you knew that, especially considering you are a Mag owner, you would like the ability to change pressures. Oh, and along with the fact that it's $60 less than the Legionair.

The Crossfire tanks are also high quality. The company has very good customer support, compared to MacDev, whose US headquarters is in Florida. The reg is solid, along with the Reg swap deal that Crossfire has. Not a Luxfer bottle, but a very good tank. Another tank which is a good $60 than the Legionair. Sure the Legionair is a bit lighter, but who cares when you've got an E-Mag?

My point is that you really didn't do your research well enough if you thought MacDev was the best. MacDev is overpriced, and you could find a better tank for your money that for $230 dollars, especially for a tank that's preset.

Hell, you could buy almost any tank other than a Legionair and slap a Myth Reg on there and get a better tank that what you payed for for less.

#11 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

View PostPAINTBALLACE, on Nov 8 2007, 09:02 PM, said:

View PostWardenWolf, on Apr 12 2007, 03:26 PM, said:

That's a fine and dandy review you have there, but the comments about price I disagree with. If you did some research, you would realize that "comparable tanks, such as Nitro Duck and Crossfire" perform just as well as your LegionAir. The Nitro Duck I-Reg also has a Luxfer bottle, has a 110 (approximately) gram reg (few ounces lighter than Legionair), Tuff Skin coating, and the option of buying several pistons which can change the output pressure of the I-Reg (1000, 800, 600, 400). I would think that if you knew that, especially considering you are a Mag owner, you would like the ability to change pressures. Oh, and along with the fact that it's $60 less than the Legionair.

The Crossfire tanks are also high quality. The company has very good customer support, compared to MacDev, whose US headquarters is in Florida. The reg is solid, along with the Reg swap deal that Crossfire has. Not a Luxfer bottle, but a very good tank. Another tank which is a good $60 than the Legionair. Sure the Legionair is a bit lighter, but who cares when you've got an E-Mag?

My point is that you really didn't do your research well enough if you thought MacDev was the best. MacDev is overpriced, and you could find a better tank for your money that for $230 dollars, especially for a tank that's preset.

Hell, you could buy almost any tank other than a Legionair and slap a Myth Reg on there and get a better tank that what you payed for for less.

Before you criticize me, you would do well to look at the date on the original post, and to understand the reasoning behind the purchase. Automags like high pressure, and work best between 900 and 1000 PSI. I did research, and the Nitro Duck regulators at the time had problems reaching 800 PSI, averaging around 750. An Automag won't work, period, below 750 PSI. Given that these tanks could not meet the industry standards for a high pressure tank, they were discarded. It would have worked for a Tippmann, but not for an Automag. With the recent trend towards low pressure guns, dropping off the high end is not too unexpected on an adjustable reg, just a bit premature. Crossfire's regulator quality is comparable, but bulkier. It also did not have the output I wanted. Everyone recommended MacDev, and they were quite correct. It is a good tank. If the only problem I ever have with it is the gauge, then that is the least of my worries.

Nitro Duck's newest adjustable regulator is superior to the MacDev, able to output a true 1000 PSI. However, my current performance is quite satisfactory and I see no reason to change. And that does not change the review and the quality of the tank I received. The MacDev is still an excellent tank, although there are other options available now that can provide comparable performance.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users