• You cannot reply to this topic

Ion vs. Mini Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   e thom 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:e thom

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:03 AM

Ok guys I know there are probably at least a few of these threads but i am trying to get my number of posts up so I don't have to be a forum newbie anymore lol. Ok so my question is.... Is which is an overall better gun of course, which is more efficient, which is easier to work on, which is ore reliable, I know the Mini is a few BPS faster but is it worth spending the extra hundred and something bucks for when you can get a new Ion for so cheap these days? I am going to a local pro shop tomorrow and I might walk home with a new buddy for my Tippmann.

This post has been edited by e thom: 08 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

#2 User is offline   Epic win 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Yardsalesniper312

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:52 AM

Invert mini wins Blows the Ion out of the water in terms of ease of cleaning,speed,maybe shots per tank.
So I'd say yes, spend the extra $100

#3 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

mini, all the way.

#4 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

Mini no doubt. Sooooo many problems I have heard of with the ion.

#5 User is offline   twisted ion 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:00 PM

View Post5N1P3R, on Nov 16 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

Mini no doubt. Sooooo many problems I have heard of with the ion.

But these are 99% user error as it is with most markers. The Ion Xe is just as easy to maintain as most markers out on the market today. The best advice you will get is to go to a local field or pro shop and test each marker out. Only then will you know which one you like more. The feel and comfort of these markers will be the deciding factor as they both perform well enough.
Posted Image
www.dmeyerspb.com

#6 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

Most proshops have yet to learn the mini, if it breaks, you might get stuck with a broken gun for awhile. However, almost every field has ion parts. Ive had mine for ~3 years, never had a problem with the gun other than changing the battery.

ion is also older(been around the block), and cheaper, has more mods(if you like that sort of thing) available.
Mini is more compact, newer(might have glitches), more expensive, air line in grip.
The bps doesn't matter because you can only shoot tourney(17bps) at your typical field.
Air use shouldn't matter either if your field does a pay one price for air.
Cleaning is easy on both guns. I think the ion has like 4, maybe 5 screws lol.
They both weigh next to nothing.

They are very similar, just one is newer, cleaner looking, and more expensive.
Id trade my ion for a mini any day, but for the price, I would always buy an ion before the mini.

Your kinda buying something that you cant REALLY use. You might as well go high end if you want a mini. But that's just my $0.02.

#7 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

View PostXakk, on Nov 16 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

Most proshops have yet to learn the mini, if it breaks, you might get stuck with a broken gun for awhile. However, almost every field has ion parts. Ive had mine for ~3 years, never had a problem with the gun other than changing the battery.

ion is also older(been around the block), and cheaper, has more mods(if you like that sort of thing) available.
Mini is more compact, newer(might have glitches), more expensive, air line in grip.
The bps doesn't matter because you can only shoot tourney(17bps) at your typical field.
Air use shouldn't matter either if your field does a pay one price for air.
Cleaning is easy on both guns. I think the ion has like 4, maybe 5 screws lol.
They both weigh next to nothing.

They are very similar, just one is newer, cleaner looking, and more expensive.
Id trade my ion for a mini any day, but for the price, I would always buy an ion before the mini.

Your kinda buying something that you cant REALLY use. You might as well go high end if you want a mini. But that's just my $0.02.

Taking apart the ion is a bitch, the threads hoses comes off and the little plastic piece that holds a hose onto the solenoid is ALWAYS breaking.
The mini doesnt have glitches, they worked those out and the new models are fixed. Ions are still having the same problem they always have.

Get some experience before you go making stuff up.

#8 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

I dunno which marker to buy....but that member title will stay that way until you change it....its up on the top under "My Controls." You can change "Forum Newbie" to anything within the rules. Good luck picking a marker.... (Id go for the Mini 'cause it has a cooler name....and I dunno jack about either one...sorry if that doesn't help :wub:)
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#9 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

I'd go for the Mini - just make sure it's Gen2+ and your good to go.

Simpler maintenance, better performance, and no macroline to mess with.

View PostSchecter, on Nov 16 2009, 11:00 PM, said:

The mini doesnt have glitches, they worked those out and the new models are fixed. Ions are still having the same problem they always have.

Actually... the Gen1 Minis do. There is nothing "made up" about that. Gen2 and Gen3 are fine, but if you're out looking at used markers, it is worthwhile to note that gen1 minis had problems.

And the biggest problem with an Ion is user error/stupidity - due to the low cost, a lot of people bought them that had no idea what they were doing. Do I care for the Ion? No. Is it over complicated in some respects? Yes, and for people looking at that price range I direct them to the SP1 or Vibe (far simpler maintenance)
Member of Team Akkadian

#10 User is offline   PWalk 

• Lacrosse Grenadier
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Keg

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

I love my Mini and I was one of those guys who wouldn't pick up anything that wasn't a Tippmann for years. I've got a Halo B on top of her and have never had a problem. Fantastic little marker that rips paint. Maintenance is a breeze once you get used to it. As stated before many fields won't have techs used to working on them so learn it yourself and save time and trouble. I use mine as my second in the field and pull it out when I need to provide cover fire or just feel like going ape on an op4.
KEG

T.S.S.O.C. is proud to represent:
Tippmann | Lapco | PaintballX3 Magazine | Poco Loco Paintball | RAP4

#11 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

View PostSchecter, on Nov 16 2009, 11:00 PM, said:

Oh the irony....

#12 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

What kind of experience? Experience in reading reviews of what other people say? lol Im not the one making stuff up? I think you need to learn to read my friend.

If you know how to push the circuit board out FROM THE BOTTOM of an ION you will never have problem with the hoses. They may be short, but as long as your not ripping the thing apart, you WONT break it. Like I said, Ive had an Ion for 3 years, Ive never had a problem with a hose, wire, or any thing mechanical. The worst that has EVER happened is --- I had to replace the battery --- Oh no! :aah: --- :D

As for the mini, the first few had lots of problems... I bet the new ones are nice. But the Ion has been in production a LOT longer. Your chances of buying an Ion with problems is smaller than buying a mini with problems - respectively.

I love how teenagers get a hold of computers and try to flame everyone they can before their moms kick them off to go to bed ;)

#13 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

Remember though how compact the mini is...

I just saw this video and it changed my outlook on the mini..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0UYN-28yrE8

View PostXakk, on Nov 17 2009, 03:09 PM, said:

What kind of experience? Experience in reading reviews of what other people say? lol Im not the one making stuff up? I think you need to learn to read my friend.

If you know how to push the circuit board out FROM THE BOTTOM of an ION you will never have problem with the hoses. They may be short, but as long as your not ripping the thing apart, you WONT break it. Like I said, Ive had an Ion for 3 years, Ive never had a problem with a hose, wire, or any thing mechanical. The worst that has EVER happened is --- I had to replace the battery --- Oh no! :aah: --- :D

As for the mini, the first few had lots of problems... I bet the new ones are nice. But the Ion has been in production a LOT longer. Your chances of buying an Ion with problems is smaller than buying a mini with problems - respectively.

I love how teenagers get a hold of computers and try to flame everyone they can before their moms kick them off to go to bed ;)

My mom has learned not to even try to kick me off. It's useless :)

#14 User is offline   rookiebird187 

• the shredder...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rookiebird187

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

View PostXakk, on Nov 17 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

If your going to base marker preference on production age. Nelspot 007 FTW :)

according to Pbreview, mini has a higher rating. 9.2 to 8.9.

It's all up to individual preference and feel. To me the most important thing is how the marker feels when I have it shouldered. If it feels good shooting, it doesnt matter to me how hard the maintenance is, I am going to like that marker better. Whats the point of having an easy to maintain marker if you hate the way it feels/shoots.

On my team we have both mini's and Ion's. I personally like the mini more. very simple design, I dig the size of it.

However if I were you, I would either save up the pennies for a Macdev or Etek2. In my experience (previous ion owner) with the amount of upgrades I put on the Ion, I should have just settled with a Etek2 or any of the Macdev markers....

Proudly Sponsored by Special Ops paintball

#15 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

Id go ion... cheeper and great if you have some knowledge of handling paintball guns. dont know much about the mini, but i sure have heard alot of of good.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users