• 98 custom
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:pbairsoftsnipe

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

Stuff

By Poppa Bear of OSOK:

I am reposting this article due to repeated request:

Silencing your Tippmann 98, 98C, and 98© Flatline, (some of these principles will apply to other markers since a lot of them use the same types of operating components).
Supplies you need:
1). Lithium Grease
2). Peel and stick silicone "Feet", (like the little rubber feet on the bottom of your
Computer monitor or printer so it doesn't slide off your desk or scratch it).
3). 1/8" piece of Neoprene rubber, a small piece of 2"X2", (or several squares cut out of
Bicycle inner tube built up in layers = to 1/8").
4). Exacto-knife
5). Small tube of 100% clear silicone
6). 600 grit sandpaper
7). Dremil Tool with the 1/8" diamond ball grinder
8). Teflon Tape
9). The tools to disassemble your marker

Ok first disassemble your 98 into its component halves.
1. Take out the Hammer, and lightly sand the "face" of the hammer where it strikes the valve pin. Make sure it is clean, oil free and dry.
2. Stick the silicone rubber "Foot", (get one pack of feet that closely matches the size of the hammer diameter, if it is bigger trim to size), onto the Hammer face so it won"t clack when it hits the pin. You will need to turn up your fps screw slightly to compensate for the lost impact force absorbed by the foot.
3. Make sure you STILL have the rear hammer O-ring that keeps your hammer from hitting the rear of the marker on rec0ck.
4. Using the Lithium grease lightly grease the inner bore of the hammer chamber, get the Hammer O-ring real good as well.
5. Using the Teflon tape wrap on one or two layers around the c0cking knob so it doesn't rattle in the hammer or against the body slot.
6. Use the Lithium grease to lubricate the bolt assembly being careful NOT to get any in the air path.
7. On the Hammer to Bolt connection rod, wrap One layer of Teflon tape around it, making sure you have a snug fit where the tails go into the Hammer and bolt, add one layer at a time until you achieve a snug but not tight fit. You may have to use the Dremil tool to deepen the connecting rod slot if your rod is to thick to slide in it, grease the slot, (both halves), with lithium grease.
8. On the Hammer return spring and the trigger return spring put a THIN line of silicone down the length of the spring and let it dry for 8 hrs, (this takes out that musical vibration note).
9. A Blob of Lithium grease on the hammer sear catch will help cut down on Hammer c0cking/rec0cking click.
10. Reassemble the Marker
11. Place the 1/8" neoprene between your drop forward and marker body at the mount point, this will cut out Tank Ping, if you run a remote this is not needed.
12. You may have to re-grease with lithium every 100 hours or so or when it starts getting loud again.
13. HPA is much quieter than CO2.
14. IF you can't afford a silencer, (yet), the next best thing is a barrel that has a long length of small diameter ports drilled along the cardinal points of the compass, and parallel with the firing axis.
15. Even if you shoot HPA an expansion chamber or "Low pressure" kit will help noise reduction as well.

Hope this helps,

Poppa Bear

Anti-Fog Goggle Spray

Materials:
* Spray bottle
* Baby Shampoo (tear free stuff like Johnson's)
* Water

Directions:

1. Mix a salution of water and shampoo. I recommend anywhere from 5:1 to 10:1
(water: shampoo) in the spray bottle. you can experiment with different
strengths of solution for best results.

2. Spray the solution on your goggles and wipe off any exess.
This anti-fog is used by SCUBA divers around the world, but under extremem conditions
(high heat and humidity) even it will fail.

Never used it so I can't rank it, sorry. Also I got this off the net and would like to give thanks to who ever came up with the idea to use it in paintball.

5:1 is good for hot summer games 10:1 is great for winters dry conditions spread the love

How to make and internally silenced hopper.

Here's one that has helped me considerably since I did it and mounted it on my marker. I have both eliminated and been eliminated because of balls rattling in the hopper, so this is highly recommended for any sniper that uses a hopper.

I hope it goes without saying that this should not be attempted with a motorized loader. I would hope that PB snipers wouldn't even have something that could randomly make noise to give them away...

What you'll need:

One VL200 regular hopper
One sheet of 2-4 mm neoprene, at least 10"x10"
Regualr Elmers glue (do not use a "super" glue; it will eat the neoprene!)
A phillips-head screwdriver
Scissors

Step 1: Remove all the screws holding the VL200 together. Don't strip the screws or lose them as you'll need to put them back. You will end up with three pieces after this; the two halves of the hopper and the lid. Don't lose the spring for the lid!

Step 2: You will need to cut 5 pieces of neoprene out of the sheet to fit inside the hopper. One for each side, one for each half of the end, and one for the lid. Make sure you don't cramp the hole on the bottom or balls won't feed!

Step 3: Glue the pieces in to the hopper and lid, making sure that none of the neoprene sticks out from the edges, or you won't be able to get the two halves back together.

Step 4: When the glue has dried (overnight) put the hopper back together. Don't forget the spring for the lid. Check to make sure that balls will still drop normally out the bottom.

I got this stuff from other forums

#2 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

excellent advice, also.

11. Place the 1/8" neoprene between your drop forward and marker body at the mount point, this will cut out Tank Ping, if you run a remote this is not needed.

you dont really need this, 2 tank o-rings work equaly as well. put one onto each screw that secures your dropforward to your gun

2 tank o-rings behind your bolt on the powertube helps to quieten the noise and as always polish up your internals

theres anoter im working on. you move the part where your stock goes (i dunno what its called. back plastic peice? where the bolt sping goes into?) anyways you move it back one groove and place the current o-ring between it and your hammer into the empty groove then place a second o-ring where the first one was. will reduce recoil and make the blowback quieter but im worried the spring may get jammed and dont want that so do this one at your own risk

#3 User is offline   poppabear 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

Yeap,

The how to silence the mechanical noise of your 98 is one of mine from OSOK.
I have several more, some of them like how to get the most out of your flatline I have seen reposted here as well.

If you have any questions on the Flatline 98 or Flatline Autococker (FLAC), fire away.

I have a small machine shop in my garage, so if you ever need help on mods on your markers or you want someone to machine them for you let me know as well.

Poppa
"Illigitimus Non-Corobundum"

#4 User is offline   CERBERUS 

• Wicked Ace
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Dane

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

okay, call me a noob. what do polished internals do?

#5 User is offline   lucky-ska 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:lucky-ska

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

View PostTheDane, on Apr 26 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

okay, call me a noob. what do polished internals do?

Reduces friction, reduces operation noise, increases efficiency.

#6 User is offline   Ghost Flank Sniper 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Covert

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

Is there an easier way to silence it without having to take it completely apart

#7 User is offline   vbg17 

• 6'9" and very scary!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:vbg17

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

awesome post. It took me a while to find casue i was scouring the mods section. But i am going to go home tonight and do most of those mods. But i do already have the silenced hopper. And out of everything you can do to your gun that is going to impact it the most imo. and its a very easy one too.

Click above to find out what Desert Edge is up too!!!

#8 User is offline   WoodsSniper 

• R.I.P. Dime
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:05 PM

I was woundering, about the rubber silicone feet. If you have to turn up the fps screw will it use up more air or is that required so that the gun works properly but does not waste gas.

O yea,

I completely understand what you are saying but just to make sure I got out my 98c manual and you used different names for different parts could you confirm these names.

1. Hammer..............................................Rear bolt

2. Hammer face.......................................The front (face) of the rear bolt

3. Inner Bore of the Hammer Chamber......Where the bolt comes in contact with the Valve in the Custom
Power tube

4. Cocking knob.......................................Bolt Handle

5.Bolt Assembly.......................................Front bolt and where is comes in contact with the Custom Power Tube

6. Hammer to Bolt Connection Rod.............Linkage Arm

7. Hammer Reture Spring..........................Drive Spring

8.Hammer Sear Catch...............................Sear

9. Drop Forward........................................Tank Adapter

Thanks for helpin' a newb.

This post has been edited by WoodsSniper: 08 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel. - Jimi Hendrix
Feedback: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=164293

My teams home field, take a look, especially if your from Mississippi
http://thomaspaintball.weebly.com/index.html

#9 User is offline   NIGHTSHADOW 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

View PostWoodsSniper, on Jun 8 2006, 01:05 PM, said:

I was woundering, about the rubber silicone feet. If you have to turn up the fps screw will it use up more air or is that required so that the gun works properly but does not waste gas.

Switching to a higher tension spring can compensate for the speed loss without causing an increase to your gas consumption. Most of us can't use our higher/highest tension springs because it puts us well over the FPS limit anyway.

This post has been edited by NIGHTSHADOW: 09 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

IPB Image

#10 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHADOWOPS

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

View PostGhost Flank Sniper, on May 27 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

Yes. You can sell your Tipppmann and buy an Automag, Dye Matrix, Autococker or Ion. You will find that you marker becomes much more quiet without having to take anything apart. ;)
- I am Jack's complete lack of suprise. -

#11 User is offline   Squatting 13ear 

• Satisfy your Grunty thrist!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Squatting 13ear

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

Good post!Now all we need is something like this for the A-5...

Squatting 13ear

#12 User is offline   tippmann14 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

nice post going to start getting the stuff for it

#13 User is offline   tippmann14 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

by the way another way to quiet a 98c is to put 3/16" heat shring tubing .55 in. long over the sear spring

#14 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:31 AM

View PostGhost Flank Sniper, on May 27 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

*shrugs* you could get a Rocket Cock, works pretty well.

#15 User is offline   tippmann14 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:22 AM

*shrugs* you could get a Rocket Cock, works pretty well.

rocket cocks dont really make much of a noticeable sound quieter then without it but theyre good for keeping paint and dirt out of the marker

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users