• You cannot reply to this topic

"Snipers" read it if u have an opion on snipers Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#256 User is offline   mass destruction 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

View PostPhobeus, on Aug 26 2008, 02:03 PM, said:

What I don't get is WHY people have to care so much about labels that they start debating the existance of a play-style. I play sniper, because I like doing the sneaky secret squirrel type stuff. I call myself a sniper, because well, it just feels good coming off the tounge and who else does all the sniper-ish things? Nobody, thats who. I won't debate with someone if I am or am not, either way I'm playing paintball. I don't call myself a marksman, because in paintball the objective is to "mark" your opponent with paint making everybody the same, trying to do the same thing. I don't always go out to shoot someone, I go out to sneak around and do recon, if I need to shoot I will, but I will do so with as little paint as possible. But also in the end if everyone played the same position no-one would argue about whether someone's made up position *broadsword, dagger, hammer, saber* is real or not. The only real position is Commander.

This is a lengthy version of exactly what i said. WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT THEY CALL YOU.
To avoid the controversy and pointless arguing that would ensue from me calling paintball snipers snipers, i just call them paintball marksmen.
(quote-Iron Eagle) This is why my preferred way of death is strapping a bomb to myself, walking into PETA HQ and detonating it.
(Quote-weltmaker2000) I don't call my guns pumps. I refer to them as euthanizers of the stupid.

#257 User is offline   endurimil 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:endurimil

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

View PostAshrak, on Aug 26 2008, 05:58 PM, said:

View PostWarpaint, on Aug 26 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

Getting back to the topic of opinions on snipers more specifically, I read some here keep insisting that distance is a critical element of sniping, and while being able to shoot a greater distance than your opponent is a fantastic advantage, distance is used by snipers (paintball or otherwise) to avoid detection or contact, not impress their opponent with their shooting skill or weapon capabilities.

Certainly, some weapon technology does allow a shooter to eliminate his target from beyond the "average" reach of his opponent, even in paintball, yet that does not necessarily make the shooter a sniper. It is the guerilla combat technique of sniping that earns that title or description. Just because a sniper can shoot his opponent from out of his opponent's reach, doesn't mean he can stand there in the open and expect to be effective, because once a sniper is detected, the elements of surprise and ambush are lost. Until a sniper's location is revealed, there is no safe place for his intended victims to hide.

Oh just say me. :dodgy:

In real military operations, snipers are set apart from the average rifleman by mission, training, equipment, and methods of attacking.
Snipers are pretty much (in my opinion) seperated into two tiers: Designated Marksmen, who play a support role in the conventional military forces, and Special Forces Snipers (for lack of a better term) who shoot frome extremely long distances. With either of these two classes, distance is a key part of their arsenal - they have weapons and optics which increase the range at wich they can engage. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but bear with me.

I think the same should hold true for a Paintball Sniper. They need to have drastically different "missions" and weapons that set them apart from the average rifleman. Any rifleman can use stealth and concealment to mount an ambush - that isn't a task solely given to snipers. All players, in my mind, should use stealth and concealment to best engage the enemy. So essentially an entire team using guerilla tactics does not constitute a team of snipers. It is merely a team of rifleman using superior tactics.

Perhaps I am being too realistic, but I am hesitant to give the honor and title of a real life position to a recreational position that doesn't fit the same mold. In my mind, it falsely raises people's expectations as to the useability of the weapon, ammunition, and position.

Just started reading a book that came out in 1992. It is called Sniper written by Adrian Gilbert which he writes extensively about the history of sniping. Very interesting read.

Especially when he seperates sniping and marksmen/sharpshooter. From his historical research he points out that snipers almost completely work on their own in 2 man teams. And waits for specific targets of oppurtunity like say other snipers. While the marksmen or sharpshooter is with the section and takes a more oppurtunistic approach. Or more simply put the marksmen are simply the best shots in the section.
4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

#258 User is offline   ASAP 

• a.k.a. "Smiley"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASAP

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

"Marksman" this, "Sniper" that.......I'm gonna call myself a "shovel" from here on out.

"Hello, my name is ASAP, and I'm a paintball shovel." :D

This post has been edited by ASAP: 13 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

#259 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

View Postendurimil, on Sep 13 2008, 11:45 PM, said:

View PostAshrak, on Aug 26 2008, 05:58 PM, said:

View PostWarpaint, on Aug 26 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

Getting back to the topic of opinions on snipers more specifically, I read some here keep insisting that distance is a critical element of sniping, and while being able to shoot a greater distance than your opponent is a fantastic advantage, distance is used by snipers (paintball or otherwise) to avoid detection or contact, not impress their opponent with their shooting skill or weapon capabilities.

Certainly, some weapon technology does allow a shooter to eliminate his target from beyond the "average" reach of his opponent, even in paintball, yet that does not necessarily make the shooter a sniper. It is the guerilla combat technique of sniping that earns that title or description. Just because a sniper can shoot his opponent from out of his opponent's reach, doesn't mean he can stand there in the open and expect to be effective, because once a sniper is detected, the elements of surprise and ambush are lost. Until a sniper's location is revealed, there is no safe place for his intended victims to hide.

Oh just say me. :unsure:

In real military operations, snipers are set apart from the average rifleman by mission, training, equipment, and methods of attacking.
Snipers are pretty much (in my opinion) seperated into two tiers: Designated Marksmen, who play a support role in the conventional military forces, and Special Forces Snipers (for lack of a better term) who shoot frome extremely long distances. With either of these two classes, distance is a key part of their arsenal - they have weapons and optics which increase the range at wich they can engage. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but bear with me.

I think the same should hold true for a Paintball Sniper. They need to have drastically different "missions" and weapons that set them apart from the average rifleman. Any rifleman can use stealth and concealment to mount an ambush - that isn't a task solely given to snipers. All players, in my mind, should use stealth and concealment to best engage the enemy. So essentially an entire team using guerilla tactics does not constitute a team of snipers. It is merely a team of rifleman using superior tactics.

Perhaps I am being too realistic, but I am hesitant to give the honor and title of a real life position to a recreational position that doesn't fit the same mold. In my mind, it falsely raises people's expectations as to the useability of the weapon, ammunition, and position.

Just started reading a book that came out in 1992. It is called Sniper written by Adrian Gilbert which he writes extensively about the history of sniping. Very interesting read.

Especially when he seperates sniping and marksmen/sharpshooter. From his historical research he points out that snipers almost completely work on their own in 2 man teams. And waits for specific targets of oppurtunity like say other snipers. While the marksmen or sharpshooter is with the section and takes a more oppurtunistic approach. Or more simply put the marksmen are simply the best shots in the section.

I see a clear distinction between snipers and marksmen or sharpshooters. A marksman or sharpshooter is someone who can hit a designated target at a certain ratio or proportion to shots fired. This is usually at a frequency much higher than the average shooter. Other variables apply, such as distance, and weapon. You could be classified as a marksman or sharpshooter just shooting on a target range, as is most generally the case. Snipers have to achieve a certain level of marksmenship to qualify for consideration as a sniper, but it is not the sole, nor necessarily the priority criteria for selection to that duty. Physical and mental conditioning are also critical considerations, as are service record, background, equipment knowledge, field strategy and tactics, etc. Some of the best marksmen and sharpshooters have failed to make the cut in sniper school, because they cannot satisfy all of the essential criteria or qualifications of the sniper role in the field.

Which brings me to the point that one of the reasons so many people are against paintball snipers, is that the term sniper implies some superiority, without ever having earned the credentials to possess that title. People seem to resent that anyone who dons a ghillie and other sniper field equipment, uses a specialized marker, engages his intended targets from a concealed position, and at a relatively greater distance than the average player on his team normally does, can call himself a paintball sniper without ever having to qualify for that position or title...yet these same people justify their assumed role or title by the same process. People hypocritically require undeniable proof and credentials that a paintball sniper is a viable position, yet feel completely justified in calling themselves whatever they want just because that is what they have chosen to present themselves as without any prior qualification...forgetting their assumed role or position is just as imaginary or pretend as the next.

I have played just about every "role" there is in paintball...from point to sniper, and each has it's advantages and disadvantages. There are few things that provide the fast action and rush of being at the front of a charge or breach and facing down an opponent. On the other hand, few things are as satisfying as eliminating a couple of players sneaking up on what they assumed was your undefended base. You run the risk of being "lit-up" in either role, because you missed looking into a corner, or your hide was detected and you're outgunned. You can get bored with suppressing and flanking, running and gunning, just the same as sitting in some bush waiting for a target to wander by, or crawling 50 yards to get in range of your opponent. Each has it's place, each has it's rewards. Unless you're playing for money or a trophy, I say let people play and live whatever role they fanticize for themselves...who are any of us to judge?

This post has been edited by Warpaint: 14 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#260 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

Whether or not snipers are overrated, I can't really say. However, my experience is that the term sniper is vastly overused on the woodsball field nowadays. A fair number of people I run into on the field seem to proclaim themselves to be snipers and pour loads of money (relatively) into gear that is good but not "correct" for the environment where they play. Many of those people also seem to be on the field looking for some sort of record of eliminations that they can achieve, not whether or not they can provide some sort of tide-turning drain on an opposing team's resources by taking down key, high-performing players or creating chaos through randomly eliminating opposing players in an otherwise "secured" part of the field, as I believe they should be. Typically the best-performing snipers I have seen are those who don't consider themselves snipers, tend to be quiet in the staging area, wear a light amount of clothing and gear, have no hesitation about getting dirty, tend to enter the field and leave the field without being noticed by their fellow players but get noted by experienced/well-trained refs, let their performance/behavior on the field speak for itself, and have no problem changing their functional role within their team without prompting whenever the situation at hand dictates that they would be a better team player by doing so.

Too many people decide to identify themselves with a "position" then try to fit the way that they play to that position (especially the position of "sniper") and lack the understanding that the position they identify with should fit the style in which they play instead.

This post has been edited by josef_k: 14 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

#261 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

meh. this is the same exact argument as hammers have. "is it useless?" "overrated?"

all i can say is that the same response happened when i dedicated myself to either position... when i was on the forums, everyone was an armchair quarterback, in person, they looke dup to me like their own perosnal jesus.

so i say , no it isnt overrated. just a vast majority of the people who claim to play it are.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#262 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

I guess it really depends how good you are. If you are ambushing and taking people out with 1 or 2 shots then good you can call yourself a paintball sniper.
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#263 User is offline   SpeedBump2010 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SPEED BUMP

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Idk...my tactics may be somewhat sniper-ish, i just dont want to jump on the "sniper bandwagon"

#264 User is offline   magnadoid 

• Shot God
  • PipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

I am going to quote myself from a post that I made in the commander section

View Postmagnadoid, on Oct 1 2008, 12:49 AM, said:

Posted Image

This is my general squad movement formation. It can very easily be changed depending on the mission, but we use this one the most because of it's versatility.

1-Point man/ Dagger= Pretty self explanatory. Daggers are quick on there feet so they are the fastest ones to move when under fire. Good to have a fast person there so that they can quickly take cover.

2- Broadsword/ Squad Commander= Our Squad commander just happens to be a broadsword so that is why that position is a broadsword. But it is also good to have a broadsword there so that he can lay done some cover fire for the point man. The commander is there so that he can quickly butts the situation and lead from the front, as opposed to leading from the rear and not being up in it.

3- Hammer= This person is tasked with protecting the top left portion of the squad from a flank attack.

4- Hammer= This person is tasked with protecting the whole right side of the squad from a flank attack.

5- Sabre/ Asst. Squad Commander= This person is tasked with protecting the whole left side of the squad from a flank attack. The asst. Squad Commanders job is to systematically retreat the squad in the event that the Squad commander is hit and taken out of action. After the retreat he is to get the squad to a pre-designated point to regroup with the Squad commander and anyone else that was marked after reentering the field.

6- Rear Guard/ Sniper- This person is put with possibly the hardest job in the event of an ambush. He is to immediatly find the nearest place to his position that he can conceal himself in. The reason for this is because when your squad is ambushed you are on the enemies turf. By setting the sniper up and pulling your squad back to a point of your choosing it then becomes your turf. After the squad is set in on their new position and the enemy ambush squad advances on you the sniper takes up the rear of the enemy and waits for you to begin the attack on the front of the attackers. The sniper takes out the attackers from the rear.

*The point man is tasked with only watching from the immediate front. The 2 and 3 position are too watch the front left/right of the squad. 4 and 5 are to watch the entire flank. 6 is watching the rear and portions of the flanks. This is done because most attacks/ambushes are going to happen from the front, so you want as many eyes and ears up there as you can.

**Positions 3 and 4 should either be a medic and a demo, or a medic and an engineer. The medic is a must for the center of the squad to quickly respond to any hits. This person should have memorized or written done the number of every squad mate so that the time to getting the wounded back into action more quickly. The demo person would be to destroy enemy buildings without taking any loses are your squad, the engineer would be to repair buildings so that they can be used as a defensive position. It is up to the Team commander as to whether or not he will have a demo or engineer.

A sniper needs to be someone who can conceal themselves quickly and effectively.

A sniper is the best asset on your team if you know how to use their ability to hide to your advantage. If you do what I posted you can cause a sense of paranoia for the enemy. If your sniper takes up another hiding spot where he can take out the opposition and remain hidden while your squad attacks from the front then they enemy is not going to know what to do. The sound of a marker is not something that the enemy is going to be able to use to triangulate the position of the sniper in a fire fight. So the opposition is going to have to find your sniper on sight alone. If they are being attacked from the front then they are not going to have the time to locate a semi-well concealed sniper before that person gets marked.

That is just one way that a sniper is useful. They can also be good for maneuvering behind enemy lines and feeding data to your team. The things that you can do with a sniper is wide, you just have to think about what you can do with them.

A paintball sniper is not someone who can hit an apple off of your head at 100 yards. That is a marksmen, and you probably will not have that kind of distance on the field. So try and think of a paintball sniper as someone who as master stealth and not marksmen. :P
You will never see it coming!

if you've ever gotten shot in the crotch, put this in your sig!
blkob on rap4 forums

#265 User is offline   devaldoog 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:silentstryker

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

If you can spot someone in their ghillie suit just as easily as someone wearing BDU's in effective paintball range, chances are the "sniper" was someone who is not really commited to role or whatever you want to call it or was just new. My point is that if this player was experianced in camoflauge he would know that a ghillie is useless without natural vegitation.

#266 User is offline   Grey Dog 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Rougaoru

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

I would say that there are not any "sniper's" so to speak as there are really patient sabers.
I think that both are critical and the only reason we distiguish is because one is focused on a specific part of his job.
I say this because a bad sniper can still be used as a saber type player and a really good one can help the team like a dagger in calling shots and breaking up defenses.

#267 User is offline   BigAfro07 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BIGAFRO

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

i agree that an ambush sniper doesn't have the range advantage that the name implies but seriously saying that a paintball sniper isn't a position is like saying that the pinky toe isn't really a toe because its small and on the side. I believe that a lot of people haven't seen a sniping position used properly but that's because the people doing it suck.
If you live or play in Mississippi message me

#268 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

The sniper position is really only valuable in true scenario games, and at that it has to be somebody who's GOOD at it. There's enough stories going around of good sniper plays that turn games, take out generals, keep larger opfors engaged while friendly forces take objectives, etc.... There is not really enough reason to "shut down the position," but yes it can definitely be considered to be over-glorified.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#269 User is offline   snipa12 

• snipe'em all day long
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipamasta

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

View Posteuglow54, on Feb 15 2007, 10:08 PM, said:

I don't think they are overrated. If a sniper is overrated, then so is a Hammer, and the same with a Sabre. Each is merely a unique style of perferred play, that's all.

ditto on that
smart parts owner # 100
"no you did not just fail you found 500 ways not to get me out"

#270 User is offline   HOTCH 

• ^i make my own avatars^
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hotch

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

there is no sniper in paintball
there IS an ambush sniper though

people think that the longer a barrel you have, the greater your range when in reality it just makes your marker a gas hog
however longer barrels with lots of porting tend to be quieter which is good if your an ambush sniper.
Hotch
98 custom with 20" smartparts barrel
limited edition white invert mini
mkx alias rocket launcher

Total Resistance
- demolition

PbN feedback +4/-0

Share this topic:

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic