• You cannot reply to this topic

X7 Review - After One Months Use Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Siesatia 

• Watch out, I bite
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Siesatia

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

Previously I was using a Tippmann 98 Custom ACT with Apex Barrel, Carbine Stock, etc. I believe my signature still has a picture of the completed set-up. It still works just as well as the day I brought it home from the store, I just felt I had outgrown it and needed something with a little more power and much more intimidation… and the 98 Custom Base didn’t give me that feeling, although people were terrified of it at times...

Alright, so I got the X7 on March 6th, 2007, and instantly dropped everything (Two essays I was working on for AP English) to bring it out and test it. Grabbing some marker oil, the first thing I did was pour some oil into it, as I was unsure of whether it was pre-oiled or not, and gassed it up via a 20 oz CO2 Tank, forgoing my remote line for now. Lining up my targets I was able to consistently hit my target at 80 feet using a minimum of 5 shots at the very most, this is with the stock barrel mind you, any further than 80 Feet and the shots would drop off.

I got an excellent feeling from the marker when it was cycling; the 98 Custom has a top-heavy feeling to it with the hopper sticking out, and is moving bolt is louder than a fireworks display on the Forth of July, the X7, although not too much quieter has a cover over the bolt much like the A5 which keeps dirt out and makes cocking the marker easier. The Clip is an excellent feature, as my fields let us bring tools for scenario games if we need to make repairs. It also doesn’t float around as much as the 98 Custom wanted to, the 98C would jump around if I wasn’t using my stock and that would require me to put extra work into keeping it on target.

Right out of the box it had been set to the perfect chronograph speed, our field has a 300 FPS limit, and my X7 chronographed between 275 and 295 at its highest consistently, and I have yet to fiddle with the velocity settings. The Cyclone however, doesn’t like low CO2 tanks or HPA Tanks that are at the end of their charge, I was able to overcome this by manually cycling for the rest of a game and then refilling when it ended. Considering I don’t shoot that much in the first place it’s not a problem. Just as a side note, as of my last game with it, I have yet to have a single chop.

Intimidation is a big part of my game-plan. Psych-Tactics are just as important as anything else, if I can get into someone’s head I will. And the X7 itself is the most intimidating thing on the market. The Twin-Tippmann A5 Double Troubles sometimes come off as a little ridiculous to older players, but the X7 is a stylish and powerful looking marker. Its also not as heavy as it looks, especially with my remote line, it’s a very comfortable weight and is balanced right in front of the trigger, which makes it easy on the arms and hands.

The hopper is something Speedballers and Woodsballers alike admire. The Speedballers all wish for something similar and the Woodsballers love the low profile. It feeds as fast as I want it to, and since my fields have all day air I don’t need to worry about keeping my tanks full. The whole concept of the cyclone feed makes the Tippmann line of markers so awesome, and the X7 Cyclone is no exception. My only problem with the hopper is that the balls sometimes get caught up front and you need to shake it a little, but it’s not a bad tradeoff considering I have yet to have a hopper hit.

I upgraded from the stock barrel to the A5/X7 Threaded Apex, best upgrade so far, it really has brought the performance to a whole new level. I was very familiar with the Apex system, as my 98 Custom was equipped with one, so this merely brought the marker to an even closer sense of familiarity. I also outfitted it with my Red-Dot sight and a sling. Although the oddest upgrade (And possible one of the rarest in paintball) was the creation of a gun-cam mount on the left side rail of the marker, which allows me to film while engaged. I haven’t yet been able to do this during an actual game as the camera I’m using is sensitive to water and humidity, but when it gets drier outside I’ll be posting some videos.

Future Upgrades for this set-up are the X36 Folding Stock, X36 Handle/Scope Riser, a Vertical Grip and an E-Grip or Response Trigger.

A Breakdown:

Pros:
Intimidating
Cyclone EP
Rail Systems
Consistent
Tool Clip
Hyper-Upgradeable
Tippmann threw in a X-Tra large barrel condom which fits Apex and Flatline systems.

Cons:
Cyclone ceases to function if its low on Air/CO2
Shrouds require a certain length of barrel.
If you don’t make sure the clip is in all the way it can fall out. “Hear the snap or get a map” was a great saying we came up with when talking about the clip, as if you don’t hear it snap into place, you’re going to need a map to go out and find it.
The grip has a bit of excess plastic where it was molded and this is kind of sharp, I plan on sanding it down in a little while as after 10 hours of playing it can really leave some nasty scrapes.

Performance Out of the Box: 9/10 – Excellent, but it gets points off as the stock barrel could be better, and the rear sight section is kind of pointless.

Looks/Intimidation: 10/10 – Perfect, I haven’t seen any other marker ever that can come stock out of the box and look so good.

Upgradeability: 10/10 – Perfect, Is there anything else on the market with this much potential? Possibly, but once the third party upgrades hit the market this thing is going to really take off.

Feeling: 8/10 – Good, it has a few cons, the actual holding of the marker takes some getting used to, and the trigger pull is kind of heavy, but it does feel good in the hands, although the grip should have been rubber or something that doesn’t slip on sweat. No issues with that yet but I worry.

Uniqueness: 10/10 – Perfect, I don’t mind them being Tippmanns, I think Tippmann makes excellent markers, but having a marker no one else on the field currently has is a great feeling. It has the ability to look like so much, and is the perfect scenario marker.

Grand Score: 9.5/10

A phenomenal marker with a great customer support to back it up, Keep it oiled and maintained and you won’t need it, otherwise you have a safety net. No issues at all, and the first month is normally when they pop up. Waiting on the folding Stock, and some other bits and bobs, and then it’ll be complete. Only real problem is the fact that the E-Grip isn’t out yet, although supposedly the Response kit for the X7 is smooth as anything else… If you want an excellent performing marker with looks to kill, go with the X7. If you are shorter on cash but want similar performance, go with an A5.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Siesatia: 18 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

IPB Image

#2 Guest_Wolftalon_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Nice review. Very in-depth and no holds bared. Its good to see you comparing it to other Tippmann markers, vs another brand. This allows those that are curruios to similarities to get more excited.

I personally took a close look at these this last weekend while visiting the Spec-Ops new store. I do find them different from anything we have currently seen from tippmann, however, different in a good way.

I dont like change too much...but these markers made change look stylish and well made. Your absolutly correct that the weight is nowhere close to what you think it will be when you first pick one up. I do like how convertable they are. Their completion is a multitude of thoughts that have been attempted by so many with other tippmann markers, yet you see them all in on sleek package.

Im glad to hear you like it, even after one month of play. For those of you mil-sim players..this is one nice package.

WT

#3 User is offline   TheWrAith 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

Great review sounds like your X7 is treating you well, im getting so many mods this weekend for my X7.

This post has been edited by TheWrAith: 17 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

"Its in that one moment, you find yourself staring down the barrel of an Ak47, your Heart Stops, your Body Tenses, Instinct takes over, then suddenly, Nothing Else Matters.."

#4 User is offline   tribe 

• getin the hang of things
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:backwoods soldier

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

great review ...........better than mine since i have had alot of trouble with mine but tippmann is helping me fix them.......and your right on about the clip i always forget to hear the snap
IPB Image
IPB Image

If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

#5 User is offline   Delta Force Zero 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Delta Force Zero

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

Please forgive me if this was somewhere hidden in that wonderfully wrote review, but, how big does it feel to you? I don't mean in wieght but just the general size of the marker. I've seen pictures of grown men holding it and it almost looks to big for them! I was considering selling my A-5 to a friend three or four days ago, but didn't after hearing that it was a somewhere along the lines of 20 inches in length and 10 inches in width. What I'm really trying to get at is, would it be to big for a guy thats about 5'2 and 110lbs.? Let me know. -Delta
MY SALE M4A1 CARBINE FOR SALE: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=0#entry1763291
You could be really nice and sign our guestbook so we can get 1000 signatures, and get our site for free!

.:DECC PAINTBALL:.
DECC PAINTBALL: Dangerously Effective Combat Controllers
www.freewebs.com/gapaintball

#6 User is offline   Siesatia 

• Watch out, I bite
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

Ok, um, let me break down the size to you. Whoever told you its 10 inches in width is on crack... and maybe some Meth just for good measure.

It is a little less than 16 inches long without a barrel. With my Apex it is 21.5 Inches long. But don't forget the shroud that comes with it is hollow, and 6 inches in length.

Its a mere 1 Inch in Width, 4 inches at the cyclone.

Weight, with my trusty remote line it's light as a feather, lighter then a lot of speedball guns, and thats with all my upgrades on it.

Would it work for you? It depends on how you would use it, if you wanted a sniper-rifle style marker, then it might be too long for you, as the stock would add 10+ inches, which would make the marker a little long and heavy for your weight and arm length. If you're going for a Dagger style no-stock marker, and just use a remote line it would work great, as its very light and low in profile. Or you can go Machine-Pistol with it by taking off the shroud, and it would be pretty dang cool.
IPB Image

#7 User is offline   dhallak 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

I aslo have recently purchased an x7,.. but unlike the original poster, I am new to paintball, and this is my first primary marker.
As of this moment, I have only gotten to target shoot with mine, as I have not yet gotten all of my recently purchased gear in the mail yet from specialops,.. but its all on the way :D

Anyways,.. the way that I have my tippmann x7 set up is:
Airthru Commando Stock
AR 15 Carrying Handle
Response Trigger
Flatline Barrel
BSA 30mm Red Dot Sight

With the downward angled profile of the airthru commando stock, combined with putting my red dot sight at the top of the ar15 carrying handle, I can easily, and naturaly sight down the red dot sight with my mask on, with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Though I was only at the target range of the local paintball field, it was very easy to raise the marker to firing position, acquire the target in the sight, and pop off a single shot. With the flatline barrel, and the red dot sight, I was able to hit 9 out of 10 times, a 10 inch target that was set out 150 feet away. Bear in mind,.... there were 30 mile per hour crosswinds that day.
When I attempted to use my 14" C-Series Stiffi Barrel, I only hit maybe 1 out of 10 shots at that range, as the balls were blown all over the place, but for some reason, the flatline shots would just sail straight and true to the target, despite the wind. The shots that missed, were only by perhaps a foot or so. I was tremendously impressed.

One thing that I could deffinetely say though,.. is that the performance of the flatline barrel, does not seem to work very well with the response trigger. I do not know if this was the same for the A5 or not,... but it is for my x7.

When I would do single shots,.. or 2-3 round bursts, I never had a ball break out of the 1000 shots I practice that day. However, when I would attempt, with my flatline, to take longer firing bursts, I would get a break 40% of the time that I would attempt 5-10 round bursts. and 100% of the time when I would attempt to rapidly fire off more shots then that at once.

When I would lower my rate of fire back down to 1-3 shots,.. no breaks.

And yes, I was using quality paint, Marbilizers.

By taking quick successive 3 round bursts, I was still able to lay down decent suppressive fire on the targets, without a break in my barrel,... so not all is lost. And a ton of quick 3 round bursts will make someone duck their head just as much as full auto I'm sure.

I look forward to actually going out and practicing on a day WITHOUT 30mph winds though. :)

And yes,.. if you replace the 3 stock screws, with 3 "Thumbturn" screws, I was able to take off the shroud and disconnect/clean out the barrel and reattach it in about 25 seconds,.. as opposed to a minute and a half it took me with the allen wrenches. I would highly recommend going to your local hardware supply store and purchasing them,.. it only cost me about $1.50 , and is very worth it.

This post has been edited by dhallak: 01 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

Owner, Lead Designer
Scenario Arms Paintball

#8 User is offline   Delta Force Zero 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Delta Force Zero

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

View PostSiesatia, on Apr 30 2007, 07:20 PM, said:

Ok, um, let me break down the size to you. Whoever told you its 10 inches in width is on crack... and maybe some Meth just for good measure.

It is a little less than 16 inches long without a barrel. With my Apex it is 21.5 Inches long. But don't forget the shroud that comes with it is hollow, and 6 inches in length.

Its a mere 1 Inch in Width, 4 inches at the cyclone.

Weight, with my trusty remote line it's light as a feather, lighter then a lot of speedball guns, and thats with all my upgrades on it.

Would it work for you? It depends on how you would use it, if you wanted a sniper-rifle style marker, then it might be too long for you, as the stock would add 10+ inches, which would make the marker a little long and heavy for your weight and arm length. If you're going for a Dagger style no-stock marker, and just use a remote line it would work great, as its very light and low in profile. Or you can go Machine-Pistol with it by taking off the shroud, and it would be pretty dang cool.

SO, an X36 stock, barrel shroud, carryhandle, and X16 short mag... to big?
MY SALE M4A1 CARBINE FOR SALE: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=0#entry1763291
You could be really nice and sign our guestbook so we can get 1000 signatures, and get our site for free!

.:DECC PAINTBALL:.
DECC PAINTBALL: Dangerously Effective Combat Controllers
www.freewebs.com/gapaintball

#9 User is offline   Siesatia 

• Watch out, I bite
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:56 AM

That sounds like it would work (Sorry for the delay in my post, very busy time for me at school, senior year woot woot!) as with the folding stock (Which I totally plan on snagging for myself) you can go from CQB to Sniper with just a flick of a switch. I don'y know anything about the X36 Barrel Shroud as I havn't put much research into it, but if you want to test it out get back to me.
IPB Image

#10 Guest_Apocolyptic_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

Thanks, I think I know what I want to do now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users