Special Ops Paintball: Things you wish someone told you - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Things you wish someone told you that you had to figure out the hard way Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mike68 

• "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

This thread is for knowledge about paintball you didn't have when you started out. Stuff you wish someone told you, but no one ever did.

I wish someone had told me:

-To buy a Pro/Carbine when they still sold them new instead of starting out with a 98 Custom

-To buy a good mask before a paintball marker. I'll never forget my first paintball outing; a 98 Custom with a Tapco folding stock and J&J barrel, and an Extreme Rage mask. I spent the day trying to figure out what vague blurs might be enemies.

-That a standard buttstock that connects to the reciever obstructs the hell out of your view with a mask, and that an undergrip T or L stock offers the same support with plenty of mask space.

-To not stand directly against every piece of cover you find

-To keep the marker raised and simply lean to snap shoot

And, the most important:

-That it doesn't matter what equipment you're using, just that you PLAY
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy

#2 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Paintball is hardly about how skilled you are. It's about where you are on the field.

#3 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

^^ sorry, but i've seen plenty of people who cant play find plenty of "good spots on the field" and get mowed all day long. paintball is a mix of skillsets you use to paint other players. if you're lacking in one, the others suffer.

well, i would definitely say getting a good mask first was the big one. i went through 4-5 crap masks before i found the profiler, and some protos. i really wish someone would've told me how crappy tippmann grenades are. that's 20 bucks i'll never spend again.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#4 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

that cocking bar on the side of ur gun...it moves when u fire...that would have been sooooo helpful
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#5 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AutomagSniper

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:08 AM

I learn by doing, I probably wouldn't have listened to much even if somebody told me. Plus, some advice is complete crap. Just by playing you pick up on things. Such as what masks fog and which ones don't, which markers are reliable and faster and which ones aren't and whatnot. I kind of liked figuring it all out on my own. Had I listened to all the advice I was given, I would believe pumps sucked and I wouldn't have a gorgeous Phantom. :rolleyes:

#6 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:36 AM

Main thing for me was the mask thing. Granted I started off with a Stingray II player pack from Wal-Mart, I would have gotten a better mask off the bat.

#7 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Dont eat the yellow paint?
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#8 User is offline   Ry and Raft 

• That dude in the Punisher shirt
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:xarchxangelx

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

-I wish I had bought a HPA tank instead of a 20oz CO2 tank.
-Having a shorter barrel serves no purpose
-Collapsible stocks are a waste
Task Force 68 | Michigan Wraith Battalion CO

#9 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

Rent your first few times out. Ask to shoot other guns and do a bit of research into the equipment prior to purchasing anything.
Finding out what makes some equipment better than the rest will lead to more enjoyment.

Taking the time to try on masks....shoot different guns and ask players why they like what they have will save new players money in the long run. Purchasing one expensive, well made comfortable item is far cheaper than buying two or three less expensive items and eventually buying what you wanted in the first place.

Be an informed purchaser. I spent thousands of dollars on gear that I quickly replaced. If I simply would have bought what I wanted tin the first place instead of compromising I would have had a happier wallet.

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

View PostKrazy8, on 22 July 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

Be an informed purchaser.

This.

Of all the things I wish I had been told when I was starting out, this one little sentence could sum them all up. Know what you're getting into, and see if it is really something worthwhile.

The only other thing is I wish I had been introduced to pump paintball sooner. It's a lot of fun, but I'm not good enough at it to be much use unless there's a large game going on.
Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

View PostIron__Man, on 21 July 2010 - 10:53 PM, said:

^^ sorry, but i've seen plenty of people who cant play find plenty of "good spots on the field" and get mowed all day long. paintball is a mix of skillsets you use to paint other players. if you're lacking in one, the others suffer.

And I have seen many awesome players sitting in the worst spot imaginable doing nothing to better the field positioning of their team.
I have seen many Newbies which would argubly be less "skilled" then other players hold down tapelines and cross field positions becuase they saw a open spot and took it.

Although I will agree that without one then other suffer, without a doubt it all has to come together to be a good baller, But thats just like anyspot.

#12 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostIron__Man, on 21 July 2010 - 10:53 PM, said:

well, i would definitely say getting a good mask first was the big one. i went through 4-5 crap masks before i found the profiler, and some protos. i really wish someone would've told me how crappy tippmann grenades are. that's 20 bucks i'll never spend again.

Amen to that. I bought like four of those first couple times I started playing. Thats forty bucks I'll never get back.
If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

#13 User is offline   Paintsoldier 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

-make sure you don't tilt your head when you shoot (I'm left eye dominate and right handed)
-eggys aren't bad hoppers
-skip the steely tank
-don't bother upgrading spyders
-buy pads
-wear good paintball pants with good knee padding

I've learned a lot over the past few years but, it's been fun and a learning experience for sure.
a.k.a. old_school_player (techpb), paintsoldier (MCB), paintsoldier8 (PbN)

#14 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Something I wish I learned from day 1, Paintball is not about surviving the games, but its about shooting people. I don't know how many times I spent games hiding for most of the time then being so proud of myself after for not getting shot that game. I see the renters at the field I work at do it all the time. It took me a while to realize that the game is a ton more fun when you're going out to get the people instead of focusing your game on avoiding getting shot.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#15 User is offline   Crenchy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Crenchy

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

-don't upgrade spyders :)
-don't waste money on CO2, save until you can afford HPA
-slider shorts are a life saver
-the proshop owner is an idiot, most of the times (our field anyways lol)
-upgrade mask first lol

just my two cents

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users