• You cannot reply to this topic

Best kind of barrel for the A5?

#1 User is offline   Idealist Paintball 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:idealistpaintball

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'm looking for a good, accurate barrel (under $150) that I can use with my A5. Don't tell me flatline barrel, because I already have it and I really don't think it's that accurate. I am looking for a long barrel (18+ inches) and a short barrel (under 5 inches) that would be very reliable. The short barrel doesn't need to be very accurate since some of the shots I would be taking would only go about 15 feet, but I need the ball to go straight for that 15 feet.

Any ideas?

- Andy

#2 User is offline   nighthawk4 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:nighthawk4

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

My SO c-series 16" is great on my a5 and I hear the small one is pretty nice for it's size. As for the 18"+ I recommend the lapco snapshot.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your sig. to help
(")_(") him gain achieve domination!

#3 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

I have several barrels that I relly like. The Dye UL really stands out as a good barrel and the SP AA is comparible. You can also get a front for it that allows you to use the Apex barrel, which IMO is much ebtter than the flatline....much better!!!!!

This post has been edited by Knightwolf16: 26 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#4 User is offline   Vazzano 

• Vazzano
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Vazzano

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Anything with a apex tip is great. I'm looking for one know for my sp8.

#5 User is offline   deltaboy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Delta-022

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

I know this doesn't fit your size needs but I have a 14" trinity recon barrel with some fake suppressor thing that just looks cool with my gun setup but the barrel is fairly quiet, close to a c series, and is incredibly accurate. I have NEVER seen an A-5 as accurate as my barrel. and yeah I know you probably won't want to hear this but accuracy isn't nearly as important as being comfortable with your setup as a whole so don't change your setup constantly, find what you like and keep it and get used to how it feels, it makes a difference (ex. I borrowed some DM9 I think? maybe a 7 but I didn't do as well with it compared to my own A-5 because I wasn't used to it)
Sabre #166

#6 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Why the 18+ inches? Seems a little extreme unless you need it for a mod you're doing. I love how accurate my 14" Palmers brass barrel is & you can get a double ported one for under the $150 price tag. Any barrel is going to be pretty accurate at only 15', I imagine you could go no barrel & get that (oaky, mayber not). You could just cut down the stock A-5 barrel.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#7 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:18 AM

In my opinion the two most finely crafted barrels are either Lapco's barrels or Palmer's Brass barrels. You can't go wrong either way. When it comes to barrels there are no tricks to being more accurate - after all most aftermarket barrels are all pretty similar in terms of how accurate they are. You can't beat a well made barrel with a high level of precision.

Any particular reason for the 18''? Longer barrels don't give you any greater accuracy. Ideally you want around 8-12 inches of unported length. That allows the gas behind the paintball to expand fully. Anything shorter or much longer and you will start to see an increasing drop in your air efficiency. The length of a barrel isn't as important as how much of the barrel is unported and drilled to a specific bore size. In the end you should chose a length you are comfortable with.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#8 User is offline   Idealist Paintball 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:idealistpaintball

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

View PostPiller, on Nov 27 2008, 12:18 AM, said:

In my opinion the two most finely crafted barrels are either Lapco's barrels or Palmer's Brass barrels. You can't go wrong either way. When it comes to barrels there are no tricks to being more accurate - after all most aftermarket barrels are all pretty similar in terms of how accurate they are. You can't beat a well made barrel with a high level of precision.

Any particular reason for the 18''? Longer barrels don't give you any greater accuracy. Ideally you want around 8-12 inches of unported length. That allows the gas behind the paintball to expand fully. Anything shorter or much longer and you will start to see an increasing drop in your air efficiency. The length of a barrel isn't as important as how much of the barrel is unported and drilled to a specific bore size. In the end you should chose a length you are comfortable with.

I've seen a lot of people and magazines saying that in order to get the best accuracy, you need a 22" barrel+, but I didn't wanna go for one that big, so I was looking for maybe a 14" or an 18". I mainly need a barrel with spiraled rifling on the inside that isn't too big but is also accurate.

#9 User is offline   wico90 

• Wico90
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WICO90/SNIPER90

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

Id say Apex....Actionvillage has them for cheap

#10 User is offline   AK TOTIN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:AK TOTIN

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

View PostIdealist Paintball, on Dec 3 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

View PostPiller, on Nov 27 2008, 12:18 AM, said:

I've seen a lot of people and magazines saying that in order to get the best accuracy, you need a 22" barrel+, but I didn't wanna go for one that big, so I was looking for maybe a 14" or an 18". I mainly need a barrel with spiraled rifling on the inside that isn't too big but is also accurate.

They would be wrong, its been proven that after 16inches there is no increase in accuracy for barrel size and up form 14 is negligible.
Insurgency, the best thing since waffles.

#11 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Well, I have an OPSGEAR 18" fluted barrel that is pretty accurate , but I mainly got it for looks. Unless you are trying to get a certain look, which you don't seem to be, I'd steer clear of barrels that long as they ruin your efficiency and your A-5 is already lacking in that department. 14" barrels for some reason seem to be my favorite length. I'd look into getting a Custom Products or J&J Ceramic if you're on a budget and if you aren't then I'd look into LAPCO barrels or a PPS Brass.

If you really want a 18" look into getting an OPSGEAR fluted barrel or a LAPCO Big Shot or Snap Shot that's 18".

#12 User is offline   PC Veteran 

• Rattan Magnet
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Northeast Brigade

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

View PostAK TOTIN, on Dec 8 2008, 08:31 PM, said:

They would be wrong, its been proven that after 16inches there is no increase in accuracy for barrel size and up form 14 is negligible.

Its more like longer than 12" its negligible.

A long barrel requires more air/co2 to propel the ball out of the end. Its just wasted air when you have a set FPS rule.

Why shoot an ounce of co2 to launch a ball out of a ten foot barrel (exaggerated) at 280 fps. when you can use a fraction of an once to launch it out of a 12" at the same fps, and with similar accuracy. The more air/co2 used to launch a ball the longer the barrel needs to be to compensate, and stabilize the ball. Your basically fighting the greater force needed with a longer barrel to get the same accuracy at 280 fps.

Think of it as when you pull the trigger the ball and air are trying to move up down side to side and out all at the same time. The barrel prevents this and only allows the ball and air to move forward. As it moves down the barrel the air behind it starts to move in the same direction (forward). forcing the ball to move forward and not in all the other directions. This is what make it accurate. The more force you use to move the ball the more time it needs for the air to move in the same direction. That's why if you take a 1" barrel and fire it at 280 fps, it most likely wont be very accurate.

As for barrels OPSGEAR has some good barrels for under 50. I would get a highly micro polished interior barrel. 12 to 14 inches is all you need unless you want the look of a long barrel. Your just going to loose gas efficiency is all. I saw no difference between the Palmer brass and OPSGEAR m4, Just price, and the loudness of the OPSGEAR M4.

One of the biggest things to look for when trying to make an accurate shot is paint to barrel match. You don't want paint that is to big or to small.

Also you don't need spiraled rifling. I believe it to be a gimmick. I agree with Piller, to much porting is just a waste of gas. Although it does quiet the gun a bit. Unported is the most gas efficient.

This post has been edited by PC Veteran: 08 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users