• You cannot reply to this topic

Chrony what do you do in the bush

#16 User is offline   ag09 

• Pro Rec Baller
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:AG09

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

Not meaning to necropost, but a friend of mine is organizing a similar thing at a friends house. Being the oldest (21), i'm probably going to end up being the safety nazi. Anyhow, I'm working on getting a chrono to borrow, and will buy one if we start playing outlaw. But If I can't get one for this weekend, any other ideas for making sure guns are in the correct range? Other than just eye balling it and shooting people?
Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war! - Patton
Texas Legion - Central Texas

#17 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:20 AM

View Postag09, on Sep 4 2008, 07:08 AM, said:

Not meaning to necropost, but a friend of mine is organizing a similar thing at a friends house. Being the oldest (21), i'm probably going to end up being the safety nazi. Anyhow, I'm working on getting a chrono to borrow, and will buy one if we start playing outlaw. But If I can't get one for this weekend, any other ideas for making sure guns are in the correct range? Other than just eye balling it and shooting people?

I would always recommend a hand held chrono. Its seeming much easier / acceptable to play in the US away from facilities, plus chronos are available more cheaply there, so I feel virtually everyone should have a handheld with their marker if they are to play like this.

I don't like this idea but one measure is to fire just over an item at a known range. (My distance estimation is rubbish so I won't state a range)

By firing over it you will see whether the ball falls short, blasts past, or just drops off at the right point. Have a search around for peoples ideas on chrono for Apex barrels as this is the sort of test that is recommended as an add on to the classic chrono as the backspin distorts the actual FPS and it is sometimes very hard to chrono down and get a fair shot out.

If you have a metal sheet and a piece of wood you can shoot them for the sound but these kind of things but that is all subjective.

I do not like the idea of a human test target. Pain is relative, we like to look tough, and the pain threshold changes dramatically from the first to the last shot, plus the adrenaline factor can go anyway from being woosey to taking any level of pain. And do you shoot skinny or fatty, hard man or wimp? I don't like the idea of shoot someone with their own gun to see if they are willing to take the pain. Some evil hard man may be willing to take a couple of shots so they can inflict more pain.

#18 User is offline   ag09 

• Pro Rec Baller
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

In case anybody is interested, what we ended up doing is shooting them and making sure that the arcs were similar and looked reasonable. I said I would buy a chrono for future games.
Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war! - Patton

#19 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

If you don't have a chrono, the best method IMO is to measure out half the distance of your desired velocity (so for 290 FPS, measure 145 feet etc...), place a metal plate or wood board (something you can hear...), and have the chronee use a stopwatch and pull the button when he pulls the trigger and when he hears the sound of the ball hitting the paint.

Now, to factor in for the speed of sound, use this equation:

V= D/(T-.13)

V=Velocity of the marker
D=Distance you used
T=Time on Stopwatch

Feel free to check my math, but I think that should be right... factor in the average human reaction time is .15 to .3 seconds and you have a marker that should be shooting pretty close to your target velocity.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#20 User is offline   OP4delta 

• Squad Commando
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

Now, to factor in for the speed of sound, use this equation:

V= D/(T-.13)

V=Velocity of the marker
D=Distance you used
T=Time on Stopwatch

i was working on something like that...but speed of sound depends on air temperature as well

it has been a few months since physics...what is the formula for the speed of sound again?

Have a search around for peoples ideas on chrono for Apex barrels as this is the sort of test that is recommended as an add on to the classic chrono as the backspin distorts the actual FPS and it is sometimes very hard to chrono down and get a fair shot out.

my marker has an apex. just turn it off.

in the end, we matched arcs...the only one off was my dad's t8 and that is understandable. I only invite people I trust to outlaw games anyways, I was just wondering how everyone else does it.

#21 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

You would not have to worry about the speed of sound to guess the velocity of a paintball.
http://en.wikipedia..../Speed_of_sound

The basic formula shown is right for the AVERAGE SPEED.

e.g. Firing a paintball 300 feet in 1 second is an AVERAGE of 300fps, but to travel 300 feet in one second it would have to be fired over 300fps at MUZZLE VELOCITY. More reasonable is 100 feet in 1/3rd of a second, but this would still be over 300fps MUZZLE VELOCITY.

To measure this by sound you need pretty good accuracy - this is a genuine test in ballistics, but using equipment beyond a paintball chrono.

This post has been edited by Tommikka: 08 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

#22 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

I found a crony for around $80
I think that everybody should own one because of safty reasons.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#23 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

View PostTora, on Sep 8 2008, 12:36 PM, said:

I found a crony for around $80
I think that everybody should own one because of safty reasons.

That's the reason I have 3

#24 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

View PostTommikka, on Sep 8 2008, 09:32 AM, said:

You would not have to worry about the speed of sound to guess the velocity of a paintball.
http://en.wikipedia..../Speed_of_sound

The basic formula shown is right for the AVERAGE SPEED.

e.g. Firing a paintball 300 feet in 1 second is an AVERAGE of 300fps, but to travel 300 feet in one second it would have to be fired over 300fps at MUZZLE VELOCITY. More reasonable is 100 feet in 1/3rd of a second, but this would still be over 300fps MUZZLE VELOCITY.

To measure this by sound you need pretty good accuracy - this is a genuine test in ballistics, but using equipment beyond a paintball chrono.

I wasn't really trying to figure the velocity by the sound, I was just trying to factor in the fact that the sound of the ball hitting the target would take a little time to make it back to the chronoer.

I suppose it'd just be easier to buy a chrono, they can be had for pretty cheap.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#25 User is offline   ag09 

• Pro Rec Baller
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

I suppose it'd just be easier to buy a chrono, they can be had for pretty cheap.

Not as much fun.

The other thing that would need to be factored into the equation would be the air resistance slowing down the paintball. Using your method, the speed calculated should be lower than normally, because you are not measuring the muzzle velocity. I'm not an Aerospace Engineer, but the it should actually be easy to calculate the correct time.

From my diff eq book, it looks like it should be

V = V(0) - b*V(t)
where b=air resistance coefficient of a sphere/paintball
V(t) is the velocity at that instant

Realize that V(0) is what you want to get your marker chrono'ed at. So that should be 275, 280, 300 fps or whatever

I wouldn't really worry about speed of sound as much as the paintball slowing down, that's wait paintballs don't break when longballing.
Just some food for thought.

I've thought about building a chrono. All you would need would be 2 photo sensors, laser gates, or sensors of some sort. Throw in a logic circuit (FPGA anybody) and pair that up with LEDs (binary output) or to a 7 digit display. Wouldn't actually be that hard to make. Christmas project maybe?

This post has been edited by ag09: 08 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

#26 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Yeah when I play we use the honor system of chrono's If your scared to get shot by it turn it down. But we roll mostly on tippys so max chrono wouldnt hurt so bad anyways.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users