• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

so have a lil idea Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

if i take a 98 flatline barrel, remove the shroud,add a barrel adapter for a spyder

would i have one uglier spyder,with perks of a flatline or just an uglier spyder?

This post has been edited by Down Range Pain: 22 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#2 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

first off I got one word for you, Apex.

now aside from that point Im surprised I havent seen it done before. It should work but you will need to keep the flatline properly aligned.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#3 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:30 AM

Okay.
So, you're wanting to take a Spyder, add a 98-to-Spyder barrel thread adapter, then put a Flatline on it?

First. Good luck on everything lining up straight. Two threadings involved means you're most likely going to end up with the Flatline being juuust off center (like, 11:45 or 1:15). In that case, your shots are never going to hit what you think they are.

Second. You're dropping a lot of cash (unless you already have a Spyder and a 98 Flatline) on something that could be beaten by an Apex for half the price.

Third. Either way, you still have a newbie marker. You might be able to drop one or two more random players at long ranger, but when you get up close, you'll still be in trouble.

Fourth. Seriously man, just get an Apex. Or a Tiberius and First Strike rounds ;)

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#4 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:54 AM

well there are things the flatline does an apex doesnt and vis versa. i dont like how u have to angle ur marker upwards to fire relativly straight forward., the lil tap on the apex tip makes ur paint angle down to if u fire while ur marker is straight the paint will impact the ground about 10-30 feet in front of you.

i do love the idea of getting someone out while they're in cover but i just started playing a little more then a year ago and id like to rely on the manuvers, flanking and bunkering for a few years instead of using an apex for now,until i atleast am really really experienced at it. that said, a flatline only changes range when alinged correctly so that wont affect tht part of the game, in theroy.
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

As Pirate said, I'm relatively certain it wouldn't work right.

Not because the theory is bad, but because the odds of the threads lining up is so small. It's more likely you'll end up off, and then it will be an ugly, (more) inaccurate Spyder.

You may not like the slight arc that comes from using the Apex, but it's far easier to learn and it will work.
Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

The collar adapter for the Flatline will allow you you accomidate for the alignment problems created by useing the Spyder adapter. So that will not be a problem.

You will need to drop your velocity down to the 260-265 fps range in order to utilize the Flatline better without having to compensate for the the dive/climb reaction of the paint at high velocities.

The unkown factor and actually something I would seriously expect to create more trouble than it is worth will be in the distance from the breech to the arc of the Flatline.
There wil be just enough room for the ball to hit peak velocity just prior to contacting the curved surface of the Flatline.
I would anticipate ball failure due to that extra 3/4" added by the adapter.

The normal installation of the Flatline puts the ball very close to the curved surface so there is very little room for error.

The only other gun I have seen modified to accept the Flatline was the Autococker. And in that situation they placed the base of the Flatline barrel very close to the breeched position of the ball.

Posted Image
If you think about the closed bolt operation of the Cocker and the distance a Flatline barrel slides into the clamping colar you can see in the picture that the ball would nearly be seated in the barrel where the curve starts.

And befor you go out looking for a cocker body to cut up...these Flatline Cockers were factory built. They cost $500 new back then and very few actually sold.

I bet that this close proximity of Flatline barrel to breech is the percise reason we have not seen a Spyder barrel adapter used to toss a Flatline on another gun.

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 23 November 2010 - 09:18 AM

#7 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

I too was wondering if the velocity of the ball when it met the barrel was going to be a problem.

As for positioning .... Try an oring on the adpater and locktite the barrel. If it moves.

If you could borrow a flatline then take it to a muffler shop and have them bend a spyder barrel. The flatline is just an engineered bent barrel anyways.

#8 User is offline   mike7822 

• Aloha!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MIKE7822

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

03 Prostock Pump ♦ 08 Ego

#9 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

View PostKrazy8, on 23 November 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

The unkown factor and actually something I would seriously expect to create more trouble than it is worth will be in the distance from the breech to the arc of the Flatline.There wil be just enough room for the ball to hit peak velocity just prior to contacting the curved surface of the Flatline. I would anticipate ball failure due to that extra 3/4" added by the adapter.The normal installation of the Flatline puts the ball very close to the curved surface so there is very little room for error.

that sounds like it could be the thing to kill this project.

View Postslinkyaroo, on 23 November 2010 - 11:07 AM, said:

If you could borrow a flatline then take it to a muffler shop and have them bend a spyder barrel. The flatline is just an engineered bent barrel anyways.

if they have copper barrels i could fill it with sand and bend it with my hands

wow...sooooo many barrel breaks in tht video

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users