Help with choosing a new gun. Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Souleater 

• Well, I HAD 300 posts....
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Village Idiot

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

View PostLocknpump, on 27 February 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

The only issue with tippmanns is the amount of available mods, you will blow a ton of money on useless cosmetic upgrades without realizing it when you go to sell it and its still only worht like 300$ at most.

In other words look for a marker that you love straight out of the box without wanting a bunch of other crap on it :P

^^ This.
People like to say the same for every 'entry level' marker- buy cheap and buy upgrades.
No. Don't do it. You'll get a cheap marker, spend a fortune on upgrades that will probably do very little to actually bring the marker up to par, and then as stated above lose money.

Here's what I'd do if I were you-
First, as a few very wise people stated previously, get a good mask first. The Vforce Profilers and Grillz are both amazing masks that are still affordable. In fact, screw all the other masks out there, and get a set of Profilers- you will not regret it. Super comfortable, great field of view, takes about 5 seconds to disassemble for cleaning, and won't fog (unless it's super humid and you spend a lot of time standing still).

As far as markers go, the question to ask would be, do you want it right, or do you want it right now?

If you're really stuck on getting a cheap[er] entry/mid level marker immediately, than what I would do is get the best deal you can find, and then do nothing to it. Otherwise, there's no point as you'll eventually lose out on that 'good deal'.
The classic A5s, 98Cs, X7s, and others some have mentioned are definately robust, reliable, (the 98C is kind of like the AK of paintball :laugh:) and can be had for cheap, often in package deals with a pile of accessories.

On the con side, most of the semi-only markers are blatantly heavy. I know- I played multiple single games, as well as 2-day scenarios with an A5, and lugging it got old quick. Also I feel that offset hoppers really unbalance the marker, making it even more unwieldy. Also, while I don't think a new[er] player is going to get 'destroyed' using a semi-only marker, it definately is a disadvantage (for any level player) in todays increasingly electronic-dominated market.
You're also most likely going to run into some rather un-fun issues when you hit cold weather.
And finally, my pet peeve- run as fast and far from Kingman/Spyder as you can. I don't know if they've improved their "higher end" (:rolleyes:) stuff, but their entry level markers should only be used as paperweights.

If you're willing to wait, and save a little longer (seeing as how you have a steady job this shouldn't be a problem...), I would 200% recommend getting a high end electro. I guarantee you will see a marked improvement in handling (much lighter weight), reliability (especially in cold weather), and firepower (lets face it- he who shoots the most paint the fastest has the most fun :)). All these things will make the game much more enjoyable and frustration free than other styles of marker, especially for a newer player. And the best part is, 90% of the time you won't have to worry about upgrades- most of the better electros are perfect as is.

And considering you can get a used (insert Dye/Planet Eclipse/Etc. here) for only $1-200 more than you're looking to pay, it would be well worth it to go this route, especially if you're looking to stick with this sport for the long run.
In fact, let me make a shameless plug for Planet Eclipse here- GO BUY ONE! NOW!:D You should easily be able to find a like-new 08 Ego, or Etek3 for around $3-400. However there is also nothing wrong with an 07/06 Ego or SLR either. Most people paid a lot for these markers when they came out and babied them, so many of them are still in excellent condition.
The Invert Mini, or Dangerous Power G3 series would also be good choices for a smaller budget.

Now granted, you're going to have a little extra expense for an electronic hopper and air tank, but both of these can also be had for good prices if you do a little looking.
Running HPA only for an electronic marker shouldn't be a problem at all, unless you play a lot of outlaw paintball.
Posted Image
People who say anything is possible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of explosives and duct tape.
How's that for a contradiction?

#32 User is offline   Omega_Assassin 

• Omega425
  • Pip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Well I ended up getting my friends A5. Got an adjustable stock for it and just love the feel. I just ordered my Apex2 and I cant wait to try it out :laugh: I know i need to get a good mask now and wanted to get some advise on some other things. So here goes...

1) I know that the vforce profiler is a great mask, but was wondering if there was anything that will work as well for a little cheaper... If not i'll just buy a profiler.

2) I'm trying to figure out what i need to keep in my gear bag. Right now I have a set of allen wreches, a multitool, a small screw driver, an extra battery for the egrip, and my old gun as a back up, and a cheaper squeegee (gonna get a better quality on), extra clothes, and a 2 pod holster with 2 140 round pods. I know I need to get some oil and o-rings still. Is there anything else that you guys would recommend keeping in my bag?

Also the on the o-rings, my dad works at a company that has accounts with businesses to buy o-rings in bulk. I would like to get the o-rings from one these businesses but I don't know the serial numbers of the o-rings for the A5 or for CO2 tanks. If someone knows them or knows where I could find them please let know.

Thanks for all the help so far and I can't wait to start paintballing more B)

This post has been edited by Omega_Assassin: 07 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

#33 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Any halfway decent mask will be in about the same price range
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#34 User is offline   Souleater 

• Well, I HAD 300 posts....
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Village Idiot

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

View PostOmega_Assassin, on 07 May 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

Well I ended up getting my friends A5. Got an adjustable stock for it and just love the feel. I just ordered my Apex2 and I cant wait to try it out :laugh: I know i need to get a good mask now and wanted to get some advise on some other things. So here goes...

1) I know that the vforce profiler is a great mask, but was wondering if there was anything that will work as well for a little cheaper... If not i'll just buy a profiler.

2) I'm trying to figure out what i need to keep in my gear bag. Right now I have a set of allen wreches, a multitool, a small screw driver, an extra battery for the egrip, and my old gun as a back up, and a cheaper squeegee (gonna get a better quality on), extra clothes, and a 2 pod holster with 2 140 round pods. I know I need to get some oil and o-rings still. Is there anything else that you guys would recommend keeping in my bag?

Also the on the o-rings, my dad works at a company that has accounts with businesses to buy o-rings in bulk. I would like to get the o-rings from one these businesses but I don't know the serial numbers of the o-rings for the A5 or for CO2 tanks. If someone knows them or knows where I could find them please let know.

Thanks for all the help so far and I can't wait to start paintballing more B)

1) Just get the Profilers. Check Ebay- sometimes you can find brand new ones from stores there with either slightly lower prices and/or free shipping. As stated above, any mask worth 2 cents is going to run around the same price.

2)That seems like a pretty good start. The multitool is a decent option, but I would also add in some normal tools as well, as often the multi is going to be the wrong size/length/etc. Honestly the best thing you can do is go through a complete disassembly of BOTH of your markers and see what tools you'll need to take down and put together. This will tell you what tools will/won't work well, and also help cut down on any unnecessary items.
For example, if disassembling the mini-airline powering the Cyclone on your A5, you're going to need a small wrench to hold it in place, as well as a small screwdriver (otherwise, the airline will just twist around and it will be very difficult to get back together). A multitool won't cut it here.
For squeegees- the ones to look for are like this: http://www.ansgear.c...iorsqueegee.htm
There's a few different brands that make them, but so far they all seem the same. They are awesome!! Ignore all the other styles out there- they are useless compared to these.
Also, unless you got some with the marker, get some oil. You don't need to use a lot for the A5, but you will need it.
And put some rags in there too- they can be anything, even a chopped up t-shirt. However I would highly recommend you get a couple GOOD quality microfiber cloths specifically for cleaning your mask- just makes it easier to clean completely.

Depending on the length of games you're playing (ie, afternoon skirmishes Vs. Multiple day scenario), I would put more than 1 spare battery in your bag- at least until you know for sure how long one will last you.
I would also invest in a few more pods (again, check ebay- sometimes you can find huge lots of decent quality brand new pods for super cheap), and at least a 4-pod pack from a reputable manufacturer (NXE/Empire/etc.). Trust me- once you get going you're going to want to be able to carry more paint... :D
Anything beyond this is going to depend a lot on the type of game you're playing (both playing style, and game format).
Posted Image
People who say anything is possible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of explosives and duct tape.
How's that for a contradiction?

#35 User is offline   Omega_Assassin 

• Omega425
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

I forgot to ask, for those of you who have an apex2, what paintballs fit the barrel the best?

#36 User is offline   Beowulf 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bubbahoetep

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have seen some good advice on here, but they all seem to not ask the proper questions. The marker has to fit the person, position that they are playing, and the way they play. Everybody has their own style of play. If he likes to play stealthy and go for one shot one kill I'd suggest a pump. Also the type of paintball that he plays is also a factor. If he plays speedball he would have to get a higher priced gun and go electro. Woodsball can really go either way with electro or mechanical. I prefer my Tippman ProLite. It's a semi auto old school marker. It is a heavy gun but that is the way I like my guns. It is also very reliable and has few parts to get messed up. I play woodsball and what I do during the game varies widely. But as alot of people have said get a good mask first because if you can't see you can't hit anybody.

#37 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Although I liked my A-5 a lot, I would recomend staying away from tippmans because you end up putting a lot of money into them...trust me, as far as recomending a gun...it depends on a lot of factors, electronic vs. mechanical, High Pressure Air vs. CO2, woodsball vs. speedball....what I can tell you is to listen to the advice you get on here....its legit :)
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#38 User is offline   BT-4 Sniper 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

Im going to let you into a paintball tip: Say Whut?
;)

Centerfeed makes it easier to aim, especially when it comes down to being able to play both left and right sides of a bunker, its more balanced. its much much more stable being directly above the support. (that being the marker) and not to mention they can have a low profile. and if you want smaller. use a smaller hopper. Want even smaller? use a 10 round stick feed.
Want EVEN smaller? hand load the paintballs.

dont get me wrong, I have my tippy 98 and I'll play with the offset feedneck.
But by all means unless you ABSOLUTLY hate center feed. and do so with logical and though out opinions. no reason not to use one.

Notice all those players are speedballers? I play woodsball. I use a red dot. I like to sort of "snipe" (not long range, just accuracy). I see your points, but if add a sight, an offset is MUCH more accurate on the first shot with a good barrel and good paint. I don't always use the sight on every shot, but I am an accurate "natural" shooter. I think it's easier for me to shoot natural without a hopper in the way on the middle.

This post has been edited by BT-4 Sniper: 15 July 2011 - 05:11 AM

BT-4 Combat: The gun to own all guns. The most versatile paintball gun ever made.

#39 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

The guys in those pictures are speedballers... I'm not, but use almost identical setups. Speed vs. Woods players doesn't matter in this discussion.

Of the 100+ paintball games I've probably played, less than 10 have been "speedball" - I play primarily big-game, scenario woodsball. The type of marker setup I run does not dictate the type of player I am. After years of using an A-5 I moved into the Automag world then into an electro, the only reason I'll ever go back to something like an A-5 is for nostalgic reasons. Lighter-n-tighter is where it's at for me, but again that's just me.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#40 User is offline   BT-4 Sniper 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

View Postger, on 15 July 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

The guys in those pictures are speedballers... I'm not, but use almost identical setups. Speed vs. Woods players doesn't matter in this discussion.

Of the 100+ paintball games I've probably played, less than 10 have been "speedball" - I play primarily big-game, scenario woodsball. The type of marker setup I run does not dictate the type of player I am. After years of using an A-5 I moved into the Automag world then into an electro, the only reason I'll ever go back to something like an A-5 is for nostalgic reasons. Lighter-n-tighter is where it's at for me, but again that's just me.

Exactly. Personal preference. I like offset, you like centerfeed. End of discussion.
BT-4 Combat: The gun to own all guns. The most versatile paintball gun ever made.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users