• You cannot reply to this topic

Refill Station - How they work It's mighty helpful Rate Topic: ***** 3 Votes

#16 User is offline   LT.CDR.STINKY 

• Strategic Mastermind
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:LT.CDR.STINKY

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:15 AM

... what happened to reading posts and/or math and/or chart-reading these days? I need to change my name to 'mythbuster'...

whether a bottle is 80% or 100% full. it won't even get near blow-out until at least 130F ambient! Who's playing in 130F weather anyways?
check the chart: http://www.warpig.co...asses/co2pv.gif

If you bake a bottle in direct sun or leave it in a car in sunlight, even an underfill may blow. If not, it will definitely shoot hot (without a stabilizer).
Plus, as soon as you're playing and start firing, your bottle temp will go down anyways.

Just don't bake the bottles!
IPB Image

SplattOps SpecialOps Brigade Page My A5MP5
"Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another expensive flying club."

#17 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:32 AM

View PostLT.CDR.STINKY, on Feb 6 2007, 01:15 PM, said:

... what happened to reading posts and/or math and/or chart-reading these days? I need to change my name to 'mythbuster'...

whether a bottle is 80% or 100% full. it won't even get near blow-out until at least 130F ambient! Who's playing in 130F weather anyways?

If you bake a bottle in direct sun or leave it in a car in sunlight, even an underfill may blow. If not, it will definitely shoot hot (without a stabilizer).
Plus, as soon as you're playing and start firing, your bottle temp will go down anyways.

It also depends on the type of brust disk you have on your tank. Warpig uses a 2.2K for an example. But many tanks have 1.5 or 1.8K burst disks which dramatically lowers the max temp down to 100-110 degrees which is highly feasible for many states and scenarios.

#18 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• SEPA Paintball Community Leader
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gerik Bensing

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

View PostLT.CDR.STINKY, on Feb 6 2007, 01:15 PM, said:

That's the whole point of not overfilling it, how many times do people leave their bottles in the car? How many times do people leave an extra tank sitting on a table in the staging area? It happens all the time. Sure, you may typically remember to open a window or put it out of direct sun light, but sometimes a person can forget.

If you have your tank filled to 100%, you will have a much higher chance of having the burst disk break because it will be 100% filled and have only a small amount of space to expand. If you fill it to 80-90% filled, then it will have that extra space to expand before bursting a disk.

As I've said, and I'll say it again. It isn't worth it to fill it to a completely full fill, and definitely not worth it to overfill. In the winter you can probably get away with it, but in the summer, no.

South Eastern Pennsylvania Paintball Community is dedicated to helping organize games in the area - Join Today!
My Feedback --- All You Need to Know About Filling Your Own CO2

#19 User is offline   ::SARGE:: 

• ::SARGE::
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sarge

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

View PostGerik Bensing, on Feb 8 2007, 07:50 AM, said:

That's the whole point of not overfilling it, how many times do people leave their bottles in the car? How many times do people leave an extra tank sitting on a table in the staging area? It happens all the time. Sure, you may typically remember to open a window or put it out of direct sun light, but sometimes a person can forget.

If you have your tank filled to 100%, you will have a much higher chance of having the burst disk break because it will be 100% filled and have only a small amount of space to expand. If you fill it to 80-90% filled, then it will have that extra space to expand before bursting a disk.

As I've said, and I'll say it again. It isn't worth it to fill it to a completely full fill, and definitely not worth it to overfill. In the winter you can probably get away with it, but in the summer, no.

I Strongly Agree, I'd rather play safe then Sorry. Plus if you've got a 50 lb. tank at home, I wouldnt be worried about that 10% underfill.

But back on topic,
very nice and informative.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meyou

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

Some small safety points you might want to consider:

Ear Defenders. Venting a half-full bottle is LOUD!

Gloves. Bottles get mighty cold. I got bored one day at the field just as a burst disk blew (Quite a shock) so a couple of us used a food probe to measure tempreture. It got down to -20

Eye protection. Simple really: If you accidentally open the first valve with the second one closed, with no bottle on the end, the hose becomes a CO2-powered whip with a huge metal thing on the end. Imagine that hitting your eye.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Tenacious Needs YOU! | WDR
Aspie 'Baller

#21 User is offline   ~PUMA~ 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:~PUMA~

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

i have question we have a 30 pnd tank all that stuff it fills about 2-4 oz every time. we've tried everthing we put them in the freezer. it still fills 2-4 oz. can you help. oh yea dont ever stick your tongue to a tank and especially dont rip it off. it hurts

#22 User is offline   Hellspawn 

• A Fetching Fetcher
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

Anyone know how difficult it would be to install a siphon tube into a 50Lb co2 tank?

I have someone locall that has a couple available, but I dont think any of them have the siphon tubes in them.

If its doable, could you explain how it is done and what I need to do it?

Im in uncharted waters here.

This post has been edited by Hellspawn: 07 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

#23 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

View PostHellspawn, on Apr 7 2007, 02:01 AM, said:

Anyone know how difficult it would be to install a siphon tube into a 50Lb co2 tank?

I have someone locall that has a couple available, but I dont think any of them have the siphon tubes in them.

If its doable, could you explain how it is done and what I need to do it?

Im in uncharted waters here.

Sorry, I don't know anything about that. I doubt you can just install a siphon tube into one. Maybe I'm wrong though.

View Post~PUMA~, on Apr 4 2007, 05:41 PM, said:

i have question we have a 30 pnd tank all that stuff it fills about 2-4 oz every time. we've tried everthing we put them in the freezer. it still fills 2-4 oz. can you help. oh yea dont ever stick your tongue to a tank and especially dont rip it off. it hurts

Try putting in 1-2 ounces, emptying it, then filling. If that doesn't work the only other guess I have is that your 30lb tank is empty. The last 10 pounds or so won't fill a CO2 tank because of the lack of pressure.

And yes - sticking your tongue on the tank is not wise. lol

South Eastern Pennsylvania Paintball Community is dedicated to helping organize games in the area - Join Today!

#24 User is offline   ~PUMA~ 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:~PUMA~

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

OK THANKS we've had our tank filled before and it still wont work. and dont any body try stickin your to a tank

#25 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

Yup, no problem. Don't stick anything to a very cold tank regardless. That's just being stupid.

#26 User is offline   Hellspawn 

• A Fetching Fetcher
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

Thanks to your post, I found the courage to finally get myself a bulk co2 tank with everything else needed.
Got everything I needed for around 130.00 (50lb tank, fill station and scale) but I was shocked to find out how much it would cost to fill it.

The first place I called quoted me 58.00 + tax, I about crapped, I called everyone in the phone book it seemed and found the lowest price to be 35.00.

I wasnt really prepared for that cost, as much as it will be nice to have it available for my loaner guns and friends/neighbors I might as well have purchased another scuba tank and bought some cheap nitro tanks.

Im very anxious to see exactly how many 20oz fills im going to be able to get out of this 50lb tank, mabey I can get the locals to pitch in a buck or two extra over cost for fills untill I can cover my initial costs.

Thanks again, great thread.

This post has been edited by Hellspawn: 18 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

#27 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:48 AM

View PostHellspawn, on Apr 18 2007, 05:06 PM, said:

The first place I called quoted me 58.00 + tax, I about crapped, I called everyone in the phone book it seemed and found the lowest price to be 35.00.

The bulk tank is SIPHON, right?

$35 isn't bad at all. I believe that if I get a tank again in the near future I can get them filled for $25. You need to think about how much you're really saving. We'll guesstimate that every time you fill a 20oz tank you will be using 22oz of CO2 to fill it (due to chilling, etc). Assuming you get 40 lbs of CO2 from your 50 lb tank, you should get approximately 29 20oz fills. To fill a 20oz tank it costs approximately $4.00 (I'm just going low, it's usually more at most places). This means that you would spend $116 at a local shop.

This first run cost you $130 + $35 (filling bulk tank) = $165.
Your second run will cost you $35 = $200 spent so far.

With two full bulk tank fills you would be spending $226. You've already saved $26 in two fills. The amount of money you save will just keep increasing after that.

So, don't fret when it costs you $35 to fill that bulk tank, it's much better than spending $116 at the local shop.

#28 User is offline   Buzz Killington 

• First you get the sugar
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Halfro

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

where i work we use those bar co2 cansters and my boss said that he could get me one but the only problem is that it probably doesn't have a siphon in it.....anyone know if filling from the tank upside down would work like a siphon? thanks

http://www.londonpaintball.com/ <--- great canadian paintball shop!

#29 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that would not work. I'm not a master on the internals of CO2 tanks, but that would be my educated guess. My assumption is based on this:

Q - Why would they make a siphon tank when they could just turn it upside down?
A - Because you can't just turn it upside down.

#30 User is offline   Buzz Killington 

• First you get the sugar
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Halfro

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

View PostGerik Bensing, on Apr 29 2007, 09:31 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that would not work. I'm not a master on the internals of CO2 tanks, but that would be my educated guess. My assumption is based on this:

Q - Why would they make a siphon tank when they could just turn it upside down?
A - Because you can't just turn it upside down.

all i can think is that they make it for tanks that you can't lift...such as 100lb.ers but i dunno...anyone else know?

http://www.londonpaintball.com/ <--- great canadian paintball shop!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users