Special Ops Paintball: Certified for Paintball - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Certified for Paintball Getting items certified so fields will accept them.

#1 User is offline   Mystic 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

I have been wondering about this for sometime. How are items such as paintball masks certified? Is there a certifying authority?

I mean, if I walk onto a field with a pair of safety googles I bought at the hardware store, the field will say, "Those aren't certified". Same if I walked on with a motorcycle helmet. This is important because there are more and more mods out there. A gun mod is easy, primary rule is it has to shoot standard paintballs within the FPS rate of the field, and they test that on the spot. A Paintball mask is different, has to sustain 400 FPS hits from 3 feet away, and even if they did that on the field with a mod, they probably would not allow it anyway.

The reason I ask, is I think all the mask out are cheep. and I mean in quality. A higher quality one needs to be made that is a full helmet, like a motorcycle helmet, with more comfortable padding inside than the mask have now, it should have an electric cooling system built into it, maybe even communications options, for wireless, and/or speakers on the outside so team mates can hear you.

As fopr people being able to afford it, have you seen the people who build their own TANKS, CANNONS, use THERMAL IMAGEING systems, etc etc? There is definately a market and if there was more knowledge on how things get certified, we would see more of them come out.
MYSTIC

#2 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

View PostMystic, on Dec 28 2007, 09:37 PM, said:

I have been wondering about this for sometime. How are items such as paintball masks certified? Is there a certifying authority?

I mean, if I walk onto a field with a pair of safety googles I bought at the hardware store, the field will say, "Those aren't certified". Same if I walked on with a motorcycle helmet. This is important because there are more and more mods out there. A gun mod is easy, primary rule is it has to shoot standard paintballs within the FPS rate of the field, and they test that on the spot. A Paintball mask is different, has to sustain 400 FPS hits from 3 feet away, and even if they did that on the field with a mod, they probably would not allow it anyway.

The reason I ask, is I think all the mask out are cheep. and I mean in quality. A higher quality one needs to be made that is a full helmet, like a motorcycle helmet, with more comfortable padding inside than the mask have now, it should have an electric cooling system built into it, maybe even communications options, for wireless, and/or speakers on the outside so team mates can hear you.

As fopr people being able to afford it, have you seen the people who build their own TANKS, CANNONS, use THERMAL IMAGEING systems, etc etc? There is definately a market and if there was more knowledge on how things get certified, we would see more of them come out.

no store would sell you a mask that isn't certified, all masks have to atleast be tested before shipped out to retailers world wide, wile quality is still important, minimum quality masks are certified nevertheless, it is suggested that after being hit/gogged several times in the lens and plastic area, that you replace the entire mask, or if lens starts pealing
also, if paintball refs or managment so much as spots a lil crack, they'll let you know that the mask you're using, is no longer considered safe to wear
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#3 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I believe it is the "ASTM" or the American Society for Testing and Materials that certifies what the lens can safely take. Most paintball lenses specifically state that they are not capable of taking shots over 300 feet per second or shots within 10 feet for legal reasons on top of what 3rd party companies say they are rated for.

The reason safety goggles are not allowed is because they can fall your face. One shot can knock them off your face and the next shot behind it takes out your eye.a Lab goggles crack and cannot stand up to repeted abuse. Some people do wear helmets on top of their masks. The reason why they are generally not sold as a one piece "motorcycle helmet style" is to allow people to choose specifically what mask to wear with what helmet. You may like the mask you see, but not the helmet that comes with it. It's all about comfort. V-Force made their "Eye Tactical Mask" which came with a full on SWAT style helmet. While it offers protection, the disadvantage is the cost, and the intense heat retention that grows during the day. Which brings up the idea of cooling.

Some masks do come with electric cooling systems (fans). Some JT Chameleons came with it standard. It is usually sold an option as a lot of people don't need one and would rather not pay for one. If your manufacturer does not make a mask fan, a lot of people make them out of computer fans and hook them up to a 9v battery. For mounting other accessories, there is nothing stopping you from clamping microphones (or other accessories) onto the air vents. A lot of what makes a mask a good mask is how comfortable it is. You can put all the padding in the world in a mask but that can make it hard to hear out of and hot. The more comfortable a mask is, the more likely people are to keep them on. Right now the best way to make a mask widely comfortable is to make it as lightweight and as least restrictive as possible. Since comfort is specific to the individual - most modifications are user made.

Paintball has come a log way. All there used to be was lab goggles. Old splatmasters came with a pair. It has slowly developed since then. I don't believe the ASTM was around when paintball started so you can imagine how unsafe it was. Barrel plugs were not common place either. (If you were lucky there was a general "ok, everyone put on your safeties, were taking our masks off". But I do agree with you. With all of the leaps and bounds markers have made over the years, there really should be more mask designs coming out now than there are.

This post has been edited by Piller: 28 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#4 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• ~Fastest Gun In The East!~
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Suicide Kings

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

Give it a little time, they're comming along.
Save Phace is a prime example of a start.
With their' mask, you can paint them any way you want, and it was designed that way.
So Im sure in due time, there will be someone that will offer a modular designed mask/helmet combo.
The Vforce tactical was a start, but a poor one in my opinion.
What they should have done, was concentraited it with the profiler, or the newer grill.
They should also have made it modular, and made a specific line of different helmet styles to addition the mask.
Like PASGT, Mich, and other comonly worn mask of real combatants.
This would have sold better IMO, and would have given the milsim world a mask thats second to none, rather than second best, like the tactical mask was designed around.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users