• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summer play

#1 User is offline   06shocker&ion 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:06shocker&ion

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

I live in vermont. I have the woods behind my house that i play in. It is filled with poison ivy and other small green vegetation during the summer. Down the bottom of a steep hill there is a river. On top of that hill i made my first bunker, but i screwed up on it and now i reversed the used side. One side is a big hole that is nothing but clay and water. For one bunker i have two old cut christmas trees dead. The summer here gets very hot, it ranges from 70 degrees farenhiet to 100 degrees farenhiet.

My woods that i play in is absolutely filled with mosquitos and moths and all kinds of bugs. I can't stand playing paintball out there. but i want to soooooooo badly.

I should be getting the full ultralight fusions next week.

What can i do to get rid of this BOINKing (sorry for the language) mosquito "plant?" its killing me!

Also is there any bug repellant that actually works AND works even when you start sweating!?

#2 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

You're asking how to control mosquitoes?

Mosquitoes breed and grow in standing water. Eliminate the places where puddles might form, and you'll lessen the amount of buggers :P

There's also products available that you can treat standing water to prevent the little guys from growing.

-Tenacious

#3 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

As Ten said remove/treat standing water. Also build bat boxes, the more the better. That'll take care of the already mature mosquitoes.

#4 User is offline   06shocker&ion 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

View PostMaj Tom, on May 26 2007, 12:33 PM, said:

As Ten said remove/treat standing water. Also build bat boxes, the more the better. That'll take care of the already mature mosquitoes.

bat boxes? what product can i put in this hole that is nothing but clay and water that probably isn't safe to drink. (I took my ATV in that hole, oil, gas, etc, and i have had a "decapataded rubber chicken" stuck in the hole for a long time too.

Posted Image

then here is the river not to far away at the bottom of the steep hill:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by 06shocker&ion: 26 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

#5 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

Bat Boxes - Like bird houses for bats Link
Also the river won't be a problem since it isn't stagnant (still/nonflowing)

#6 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

With a garden hose you could syphon that puddle out down the hill.

Just stick one end in, then get the rest of the hose as far down the hill as you can.

Once you're down there suck till you hear the water coming and then just let it flow out. As long as the end of the hose is below the surface of the puddle it will flow out.

After that just fill it with dirt/sand/ whatever's handy

Or treat the whole thing. Though, I'd try to get rid of it so you don't have to worry about falling in :laugh:

-Tenacious

#7 User is offline   06shocker&ion 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

I have a small pump i got off of home depot. It gets rid of 200 gallons/hour i think. It runs for 5 hours on 3 D batteries. VERY hand pump. But the thing is, the hole is clay, mucky clay. And it continuously fills up with water. I'd like to get rid of the hole but i don't think i can.

EDIT: oh and while i was researching i heard about, permathrin. Im getting my new ultralights next week. Should i spray permathrin on my ultralights?

http://www.benmeadow...rin/20845/+625/

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Pat's Boating in Canada Mosquitoes.mht

This post has been edited by 06shocker&ion: 26 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

#8 User is offline   UV Halo 

• Blacklight Baller
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:UV Halo

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

I gotta chime in here.

Permethrin rocks. Yes, apply it to your Ultralights. This will last through about 3-6 six washings and will do a good job on the skeeters. How about Ticks? Tthey're pretty common in the Northeast and there is no need to get Lime Disease, or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Here's my solution

Base Layer - Under Armor Compression Gear Heat pants and top, with pants tucked into socks and treat with permethrin (top, bottom, and socks).
Outer Layer - Fusion Ultralights also treated with Permethrin.
All hair, and exposed skin (wrists, hands, Neck) treated with a high percentage (30+) DEET or, Picaridin (carried under the Cutter Brand).

I wore this yesterday at Warplay Paintball in Virginia where it was 90deg and .5" of rainfall (in other words very high humidity). It was hot but, I was more comfortable than everybody else, judging by their profuse sweating between games.

I wear the inner layer precisely for ticks because they can go right through the holes on the UltraLights. However, this also applies to other biting insects.

Do not allow DEET to get onto any plastics or synthetic materials (it will break them down). So, put your DEET on, then your Ultralights. You also have to re-apply the DEET as per the manufactures directions as it isn't too sweat tolerant (Picaridin is a once a day application).

Good luck.

EDIT: Do not use spray repellents on your face. Around yes. On, no.

This post has been edited by UV Halo: 27 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

#9 User is offline   06shocker&ion 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the post UV halo. So,

1.) where do i get permathrin?

2.) Do i spray it on my ultralights, wash my ultralights then wear them or what? I heard not to get permathrin on skin.

3.) DEET and Picaridin on exposed skin?

#10 User is offline   UV Halo 

• Blacklight Baller
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:UV Halo

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

No Problem,

1. I picked up Permethrin sold under the name "Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent Clothing" at Dicks Sporting Goods. They don't seem to stock as much of it as they do the traditionall repellents (namely DEET) but, they do carry it. Other similar sporting goods stores that sell camp gear should have it too.

2. thoroughly apply it to the ultralights and allow it to air dry (I did mine outside the night before, brought them in and hung them up- don't spray it indoors). Once they're dry, they are ready for wear.

3. DEET or Picaridin on skin and hair. I've not seen any literature on combining the two. Worst Case scenario, it triggers some sort of bodily reaction in yourself or, maybe one neutralizes the other (after all, insect 'repellents' of these types are in fact, pesticides that have been found to be safe when used as directed)? As far as choosing between the two, Picaridin will last all day, most DEET concentrations need to be reapplied periodically.

#11 User is offline   ag09 

• Pro Rec Baller
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AG09

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

Walmart sells the wrist bracelet bug repellent things. They are the stretchy plastic spring looking things. Made by Off!. They have always worked wonders for me. Just put it over the sleve of your t shirt and your good. they are like $2 or something and last forever. I'd try those.
Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war! - Patton
Texas Legion - Central Texas

#12 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:29 AM

View PostMaj Tom, on May 26 2007, 05:37 PM, said:

Bat Boxes - Like bird houses for bats Link
Also the river won't be a problem since it isn't stagnant (still/nonflowing)

He's right. Bat's can eat like 10,000 insects a night per each bat.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users