Special Ops Paintball: Urban Paintball Sniping - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Paintball Sniping In an urban enviroment...can it be done? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Urban Sniping, can it be done? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Close quaters, buildings, and no vegetation?

1. Yes and I've done it before (17 votes [35.42%])

Percentage of vote: 35.42%

2. Yes but it's going to take some effort (16 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Maybe/Uncertain (7 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

4. No and I've tried before (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No and it's just not practical (8 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mercy

Post icon  Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

Okay guys, how's everyone doing? Good? Great. SO here's the problem. Later this March my bro's and I were planning on organizing our first game of the year. Instead of our home field they've decided to go to a local pay-to-play field. I was up for a change so I told them okay. Well, I looked up the place online to hope to get some pictures to see what kind of tactics to get ready for. I was surprised to find that the entire field is an urban environment. Some of it is like a gigantic speedball field built out of pallets, spools, and crates while other places are buildings and forts. From what I could tell the ground is flat and there is very little vegetation.

Has anyone ever had to deal with things like this before? What tactics should I employ? Things to avoid? Things to focus on? Words of wisdom are welcome.

If it helps, my setup is an A5 digi, dog leg air-thru stock, 20" tactical smartparts barrel, trinity 25 round TAC CAP, basic red-dot sight, radio, and a specop's action ghillie. Now just to let you know I have always relied heavily on my ghillie but it just doesn't look like it's going to cut it this time around.

I have the option of choosing which part of the field to play in so come the 7th I plan on giving it a good walk thru to pick the cream of the crop. I haven't the funds to buy a flatline and an egrip to pick up the broadsword position so I'm staying with sniper. I think it can be done. Maybe the longbow sniper position specops talks about? No matter if it goes well or turns into a slaughter house I plan on tell you guys my experience. :evil:

Any wisdom?

This post has been edited by Mercy of Spades: 27 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

Jeremiah 29:11 "His promises fulfilled"

#2 User is offline   Bl33din' Aces 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan Ops

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Well i can tell you now. If you want pick someone in a CQB, you more likely have to think and be really good at it. I wouldn't I wouldn't try but thats my thought, don't listen to me on that. However, you got spools on the field, you can do something little sneaky depending on the how of the spool or you could just use the spool to your advantage but you should avoid them if possible. As for urban areas, just stay in cover if you plan on CQB.

As for buildings, they do wonders. The thing you need to know is that you should never blow your cover cause then you give away your position. If your sure you have the shot. take it. If a building is being cleared you need to take the shot at who ever comes in your cover the second you see them enter. I'm no sniper expert but i know a few things about it, hope that was helpful.

Our Victory is imminent. Welcome to the Spartan Ops Dream!

#3 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

I'm guessing you don't normally use much paint while at your field. The thing to consider if you play at an organized field is will there be more people playing? If so you need to give some thought to how much paint you anticipate using.

I use a tac cap on my A-5 on occasion, w/ a stovepipe offset I carry 58 +/- rounds in it, plus I have (4) 50 round pods to fill with. For small player count games it works out fine, but most of the time I use my full 200 rd hopper w/ 140 round pods.

I guess your role as a sniper would have to adapt some because of the lack of concealment. I don't know how you & your group of guys operate & use the sniper role, so it's hard to make suggestions on how to adapt. Definitely no reason to buy a flatline & e-grip just so you could play a different "role" - you can do everything you want w/ the setup you have. I wouldn't get too hung up on it though, go out & sling paint.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#4 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hey, I appreciate it guys. Yeah, it looks like it most definitely will be a different kind of game. To answer your statement, usually, in a big scenario game I use around 75 rounds/day. Thankfully, I believe we will be renting the entire field so the player count won't be astronomical. I've considered what you have said and this is what I've come to figure out for my possible personal tactics. I believe I'm going to have to be a bit more aggressive with working the angles with my team. In the woods you've got wide "cones" of fire as opposed to the multiple "alley ways" of fire. I know that over everyone playing that I will have the first shot advantage due to the red-dot and how often I practice with it. I'm not nearly as fast as the tourney players and with me being 6'3" I've been told that I make an appealing target lol, especially with a "wookie suit". The small squad I play with has decent radio communication over the other walk-on's and newbs. There is a concern with being out ranged by the few flatlines in the longer alley ways so I will stay at mid range. Getting flanked has a much higher chance of happening in the pallet, spool, crate speedball-isk areas. So I believe sticking with a full auto CQC speedballer/dagger will help my chances and maybe we can even use our different talents to compliment each other. As far as my personal tactics as a paintball sniper I prefer to play a strong defense but the only way I can see this happening in an urban environment is by taking the high ground, say in a two story building? And trying to get those long ball dropping shots that they say you can do. If longbow sniper actually works I'll be sure to let you know. On the second story flatliners are going to be a terror. Even with the supposed extra distance from a dropping shot the flatline will easily out range anything but another flatline. But as far as buildings are concerned I feels as if my long barrel will be a disadvantage in CQB so I think I'll rely on grenades and pack a few extra than normal. Any suggestions on grenade types? I could also booby trap buildings with some f-bombs and then hide outside and out of the way. When the OpFor goes in and trips them then I'll come in with the dagger and mop up behind them. I believe faking poeple out by making them think I'm somewhere where I'm not and blocking lines of sight will be the best way to go unseen. I still don't know if I should drop my ghillie. The leaves make noise when running and can easily give me away. However, there have been times when I laid in plain sight and people have walked right past me. But going solo will get me eliminated real fast by an aggressive flanking speedballer.

I have a question, why did you recommend avoiding the spools? I've never played with them so I don't really understand the threat.

So this is what I've come up with so far. A rag-tag guerrilla warfare approach using my weaknesses as strengths and their strengths as their weaknesses Please be a critic and point out what I'm over looking. Thanks, Guys

This post has been edited by Mercy of Spades: 27 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

#5 User is offline   Bl33din' Aces 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan Ops

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

View PostMercy of Spades, on Feb 27 2009, 12:49 PM, said:

I have a question, why did you recommend avoiding the spools? I've never played with them so I don't really understand the threat.

Because my friend once told me that if could be easily out flank. And if you think about it, all they need for someone is to run right to it and get even more close. they take that chance, they're gonna shoot for the head. when you pop out of cover, he'll get you and you won't know it. Its not that it's a threat, its just you should avoid using it unless you have to.

Our Victory is imminent. Welcome to the Spartan Ops Dream!

#6 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:35 AM

View PostMercy of Spades, on Feb 27 2009, 02:49 PM, said:

I will never say avoid them. They make good shelter. Just keep in mind a few things. If they are layed flat down, you have exposure on the sides.

If they are standing, like they could roll, but are supported from rolling, watch your feet. I shoot more people's feet who hide behind spools than any other body part when hiding behind them. WhY? Cause spool is round, not touching ground at edges. So when enemy pops up at the edge to take a shot, usually they leave their feet wide open. Just drill a few shots in there. Make em dance and mark em out at once. :D

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#7 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

View PostLegato, on Mar 1 2009, 06:35 AM, said:

I will never say avoid them. They make good shelter. Just keep in mind a few things. If they are layed flat down, you have exposure on the sides.

If they are standing, like they could roll, but are supported from rolling, watch your feet. I shoot more people's feet who hide behind spools than any other body part when hiding behind them. WhY? Cause spool is round, not touching ground at edges. So when enemy pops up at the edge to take a shot, usually they leave their feet wide open. Just drill a few shots in there. Make em dance and mark em out at once. :P

yeah, that sounds like a good idea. A lot of people just don't watch their feet through out the game. Kinda like tall hoppers that like to stick up out of tall grass; just another easy shot. Good advice.

Alright, so what do you guys think I should do if say i'm in a building, get found out, and the opforce raids from every entrance?

My first thought is to focus on one group and try to punch a hole out of the building. The only other thought is to jump out the window in spite of my personal safety lol

#8 User is offline   The Elder 

• Sharpshooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phantom-Sniper

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

I would recommend you don't stay in one place very long. You could get a flanking opportunity. Be flexible and don't stick to one position.

#9 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GUBMENT SNIPER

Post icon  Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

View PostMercy of Spades, on Mar 1 2009, 02:32 PM, said:

yeah, that sounds like a good idea. A lot of people just don't watch their feet through out the game. Kinda like tall hoppers that like to stick up out of tall grass; just another easy shot. Good advice.

Alright, so what do you guys think I should do if say i'm in a building, get found out, and the opforce raids from every entrance?

My first thought is to focus on one group and try to punch a hole out of the building. The only other thought is to jump out the window in spite of my personal safety lol

I've never been in a situation like that in paintball, but as a experienced gamer i.e. call of duty 4. I believe avoiding detection from the start is the only premeditated answer. When you shoot avoid having your barrel sticking out of windows and stand in the middle of the room cuz it will be harder for them to see you from outside, noise is reduced and better access to different angles and cover. you have a smart parts tactical( good barrel, i have one too) so noise isnt a issue but the direction the paintballs are coming from will, so i recomend shooting less often to avoid suspicion. keep in mind of all entrances and exits and after a few shots book it.
but to answer your question that depends on the situation, the enviroment and whats at your disposal if they are coming up the stairs and you have a paintgrenade then by all means wait till you can get at least must of them then peg em'. that type of thing you will have to figure out on the fly but the chances of you getting through without getting hit is against you. so avoid it from the start and you will do fine.

This post has been edited by gubment_man: 16 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

"why does that bush have eyes?"

#10 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

alright guys, so the game happened. And the answer is; yes, but it's going to take some work.

Constantly moving and changing angles of attack is going to be the key. I found a good tactic for setting up an ambush was to shoot from the place you wanted them to be when you sniped them and then high-tail it to your actually sniping position. When the the op for comes to figure out where you were shooting them from, take them out. Also, the longer barrel makes CQB a lot harder, so instead, let them come to you so that you can pick and choose the angles for your fire lanes. And last, just like in the woods, it is vitally important to stick to the edge of the field so that you can't be flanked.

In the end it was a great day of paintball. Probably one of my personal best. Playing in an urban environment has it's rewards. Less ghillie and more fast paced sneaking seemed to be the rule of the day. I think a ref called it, sneakball lol

#11 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:11 AM

Very nice! Good to hear that you had fun and were able to make something positive out of the situation. Did you spend much time in buildings? Use any grenades? Use a decoy? :( How many people were at the game? and how many rounds did you use?
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#12 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

View PostSpektre, on Apr 1 2009, 06:11 AM, said:

Very nice! Good to hear that you had fun and were able to make something positive out of the situation. Did you spend much time in buildings? Use any grenades? Use a decoy? :D How many people were at the game? and how many rounds did you use?

Yeah it most definitely was a blast!

But to answer your questions:

I actually avoided going inside most of the buildings that I came across. Just had a bad gut feeling about taking the fight inside. Try coming around corners using a marker with a 20" barrel and you'd get my drift. On the contrary, I stalked outside most of the "doors" and other entrances. Since I knew that they had to come through those points it made setting up ambushes very easy. Just like funneling large groups of opponents through a bottle-neck to make them more "manageable" lol

Grenades? Well, sadly I didn't have the opportunity to acquire any ordinances. Trip mines would have worked wonders at slowing down the op force. Especially between buildings and through narrow passages.

Decoy? Oh yes! Many, many times, actually. In fact, it was probably the best tactic I had going that day. Sometimes I would fire a few rounds at a small squad and then run away. Over confident, they'd chase me right into the firing lanes of my hide spots. Thanks to the buildings, it was much easier to break line of sight so that I could reach those ambush points. Most of the time I led the op force away from the buildings. Other times I would use friendlies as my decoys. The echoes that came off and from the inside of the buildings seemed to confuse players as well.

How many players? All together we had 16 or 17 players. This game was also the first time I went up against another ghillied-out paintball sniper....that was a rush! He was a novice but still made the "hunt" fun. :laugh:

How many rounds? With an educated guess I'd say about 45 - 50 for the day.

Anymore questions? :question:

#13 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

im surprised you didnt throw on your stock barrel to help remove some lenth.
( assuming you have your stock barrel, then your other 20'' barrel.)

but I hear yea, its always fun to switch enviroments and see how everything works out.
I Played a close quarters match and I had a blast, instead of usuing my usual 16'' barrel I took my Two peice barrel and only used the first 6'' of that.
loud and fun! :dodgy:

#14 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

Awesome, man. I bet facing the other sniper was invigorating! It's also cool to hear you only used around 50 shots. That's a low count by any standard, and means you were able to do some very nice, accurate sniping.

In regard to Eskimo's post, I think it's great that you didn't use a shorter barrel and kept to your native play style. It's good to learn to adapt your style to fit a foreign environment rather than adjust your style.

On a side note, what barrel do you use and how do you like? I'm considering getting a J&J 20" and would like to know what people think about it.
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#15 User is offline   DeAdLy RuSsIaN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SILENTDEATHAWAITS

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Awesome man! Glad to hear you pulled it off. I was wondering if you got rid of your ghillie for this one?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users