Special Ops Paintball: Tippmann money pit vs speedball markers - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tippmann money pit vs speedball markers I have a decision to make, help me out plz Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   _ORaNGe_FLaMeS_ 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Okay, I have a new Tippmann A5 and after buying a few parts and seeing all of these "cyclone upgrades" new barrels, bolts, and all the milsim products etc etc I have to ask, for woodsball am I better off with this A5 and putting what I want on it (heres a list)

A5 - $220
Flatline - $90
Car Stock - $35
Top Rail - $30
Reticle Sight - $60
MP5 Air Through Mag - $65
Remote Line - $55
Squishie Paddles - $20

Now I know not all of these are NEEDED but this is what I want, and thats not going to change and I know this may be hotly debated or people will just flat out marker bash or milsim bash but whatever, total I'm looking at $575 to have everything I want, I haven't included to cost of the HPA tanks because I'll need that no matter what marker I buy, so now what I'm asking is this, should I maybe stop now, and trade this marker in for something like a DP Fusion or DP G3?

I know the costs may not match up but I'm looking for bang for my buck, performance compared to cost plain and simple. Tippmann's are known for reliability so what I'm also looking at is how durable a gun is because I will be playing woodsball and I don't want to have to baby my marker and worry about it getting bumped around and such, that and being able to play speedball without a disadvantage would be nice, or should I just buy a second marker? What I'm saying is this, I've seen friends dump over a grand into their Tippmann's its ridiculous and really I see it as the equivalent of decking out a Chevy Cavalier with a bunch of useless visual mods that do nothing for performance to make it LOOK fast rather than just spending that money on a better car. So what your opinions here? any and all welcomed here.

P.S. I'm looking a total spending of about $800 for the marker and all included accesories needed (air tank, hopper etc) thanks for your thoughts, I look forward to reading them.

This post has been edited by _ORaNGe_FLaMeS_: 26 January 2009 - 03:23 AM

#2 User is offline   DvS21 

• Duct Tape; saving lives since 1942
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raiden21

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

for 800 you could buy a used ego. which is what you should do

for like 500 you could get a used vice. which is what you should do

so many options!!!!!!!!!! don't get an A5 if you've got that cash!

seriously, high ends are engineered to go through just as rough a time playing speedball so you have nothing to worry about. IMO speedball is harder on guns than woodsball. I've played a lot of both.

PBN Feedback AO Feedback SOP Feedback
"We could do a raffle, I've got some random bowling trophies somewhere. Everyone needs a bowling trophy." - DigitalPirate
"No, Puzuma, please tea bag me for free......actually....after that statement....I don't even care"- Deuce
"So what? She had sex in your bed... Somebody had to, and obviously you dropped the ball..." - Jones

#3 User is offline   Chaos 

• RagTag Renegade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chaos

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

You are on the right track with the DP markers. With that kinda money, I'd recommend either a F8, Threshold or G3 with upgraded trigger. Get an HPA tank and the hopper of your choice and you will be much happier than with any Tippmann. I was once one of those guys who had a "$1000 Tippmann", and after a long day of play, I was tired. I upgraded to a Fusion, and now a G3, and the lighter marker does make a huge difference at the end of the day. I like the DP markers because you get the same performance of the much more expensive markers, at a much lower cost. Also, a tippmann is a huge disadvantage in speedball. I commend you on wanting to broaden your horizons. As a hybrid player, you will notice your skills in both arenas will improve greatly.

BTW, I would not worry about having to "go soft" on any speedball marker. In some cases, speedball is rougher on your gear than woodsball

This post has been edited by Chaos: 25 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

#4 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

View PostChaos, on Jan 25 2009, 11:37 PM, said:

You are on the right track with the DP markers. With that kinda money, I'd recommend either a F8, Threshold or G3 with upgraded trigger. Get an HPA tank and the hopper of your choice and you will be much happier than with any Tippmann. I was once one of those guys who had a "$1000 Tippmann", and after a long day of play, I was tired. I upgraded to a Fusion, and now a G3, and the lighter marker does make a huge difference at the end of the day. I like the DP markers because you get the same performance of the much more expensive markers, at a much lower cost. Also, a tippmann is a huge disadvantage in speedball. I commend you on wanting to broaden your horizons. As a hybrid player, you will notice your skills in both arenas will improve greatly.

BTW, I would not worry about having to "go soft" on any speedball marker. In some cases, speedball is rougher on your gear than woodsball

Aha chaos you are so obsessed with g3's and DP markers in general I think its funny but then again I'm no different with my Ice Epic speak.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#5 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

i'd stick with the tippmann and the upgrades. thats like asking if you should buy a 69 chevy and fix it up how you want or buy a more advanced vehicle just cause you can afford it. you'll appreciate it more if you customize it.

#6 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

It's really a matter of personal preference. I own several Tippmanns that have had their share of money thrown into them, and I own many mid- to high-end "speedball" guns that have had lots of money spent up-front, and some spent afterward to upgrade them. A few required very little extra work and cash, but they are all fun to use and I like them all, albeit for different reasons.

I'm just as likely to grab my Invert Mini, which was reasonably priced and has very few upgrades, to play woodsball, as I am to use my A-5, which has very few stock parts left in/on it.

The best gun is the one that YOU enjoy using, maintaining and upgrading; the one that fits perfectly in your hand, carries well and points effortlessly, aims true, and puts paint right where you want it, without having to think twice.

What gun is that for you? Only you can tell. We're all just giving our highly subjective opinions on what we like, but only you know what works best for you. If you're happy with what you have, why change? A "better" gun will not automatically make you a "better" player- a gun that you are comfortable with probably will.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#7 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

I would go for the third unlisted option. There are markers out there that are neither money pits nor stereotypical "speedball" markers.

ICE Epics, Automags, Blazers, Phantoms as well as quite a few other markers out there might have the qualities you are looking for without having to pay for overpriced modifications. A lot of markers, especially those that come from smaller companies, tend to be very well made without fitting into a specific branding. For example, they may come with a dust black finish and offset feed like a Tippmann, but also use a consistent valve system and high quality lightweight materials.

Most all markers today are built very solid. I would trust all of the markers I mentioned above more than what Tippmann makes today. Tippmann was once known for their reliability - they're older models actually were extremely rugged. But ever since their clamshell designs the quality has taken a very noticable drop. It took another big drop after they outsourced to China. A lot of the people who think Tippmanns are reliable think that only because that's what they've heard.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#8 User is offline   Benshan 

• Pastor Ben
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benshan

Post icon  Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Of course what you do is your choice but I like the A5 just fine. I don't even know anything about the other marker your looking at though. So I'm posting to say this...if you're looking at $90 for an A5 flatline you are paying like 25 bucks too much. Unless you are including shipping into that price.

Sabre # 805

#9 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

If you already own the a5 I'd go the minimalist approach. Only the upgrades that help performance.

Regulator, Barrel, HPA tank, e-grip/RT (if you want to shoot faster) and nothing else.

Either that or I'd just go with a mid-end electro like the fusion, or a mini (I don't like G3s).

This post has been edited by d4rkmonkey: 25 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#10 User is offline   Huff n Puff 

• Elite Sabre
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HUFF N PUFF

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

It took me a long time to figure out my answer when I asked myself this question. This last year the answer was apparent. I played mostly woodsball last year and I used my epiphany more than my 98c, a5, or x7 put together. I payed $200 for the marker, $65 for a new board, and $30 for the feedneck to make a total of about $295. I have spent about $280 to $300 on my 98c, $300 on my A5, and my X7 would be about $500.

For the money, I would say go with a speedball marker. I am interested to see how the new SLG is. I have a friend who uses the mini and likes it, and same with the G3. I have used my epiphany and really do like it, but I think its new equivalent (EOS) is over priced. I even have used the Vibe and I think it is great. I was so impressed with it that I decided to use vibes for my field's rentals instead of the standard 98c.

Sadly, I think that a SP Vibe with a new barrel is better than tippmanns. And if you still want the woodsball look then you can get the SP-1 for a little bit extra. I've actually just pulled one of my rentals off the shelf to play a few games, because they actually perform and feel good. I wouldn't do that with a stock 98c if I have any of my personal speedball markers with me.
Elite Team 6 Rocks
Fire? Yes Please

#11 User is offline   Chaos 

• RagTag Renegade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chaos

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

View Postsipbgod94, on Jan 25 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

View PostChaos, on Jan 25 2009, 11:37 PM, said:

Aha chaos you are so obsessed with g3's and DP markers in general I think its funny but then again I'm no different with my Ice Epic speak.

Of course I am, lol, my team sponsored by them. And rule number 1 with sponsors, only support a product you believe in. But IMHO, DP markers give you the best bang for your buck.

I have been hearing alot about this Ice Epic, can you PM me a link, I am rather curious about it.

#12 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

You all are killing me. Literally. :dodgy:

I am flabbergasted at how you can spend so much on a marker and still afford paint! Oh well. Not all of us take a vow of poverty....

Ok...If you have $800....spend it wisely. Get a decent marker, but don't overspend for one, either. $600 for the marker alone is a BAD idea. Pick one of the markers these guys suggest, e-bay it, and spend the rest on accessories, like paint.

My POV: I can play a heck'v a lot more paintball if I pick a $200 marker w/accessories, and then use the other $600 on paint, air, and fees, than I can if I blow it on one tricked out marker.

I saw a 'mag go on ebay for $76. (I almost cried...I want one.) Bang for your buck means spend the money playing the game....'Course if you have $800 to spend, you must not be on too tight a budget. :dry: :jealous:
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#13 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

Do yourself a favor, and buy a nice, quality marker that will last. Go to your local Paintball store, hold all of the markers that they have to offer (that are of good quality) and find the one that feels most comfortable in your hands. If they will let you mess around with one (I.E. filling it up and shooting) that would be all the more better; if they do not let you, then find some people that will let you test their's out.
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#14 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

View PostDvS21, on Jan 25 2009, 08:12 PM, said:

for 800 you could buy a used ego. which is what you should do

for like 500 you could get a used vice. which is what you should do

so many options!!!!!!!!!! don't get an A5 if you've got that cash!

seriously, high ends are engineered to go through just as rough a time playing speedball so you have nothing to worry about. IMO speedball is harder on guns than woodsball. I've played a lot of both.

with 800 u can get a new 08 ego
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#15 User is offline   _ORaNGe_FLaMeS_ 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

Well heres the thing, I already have the A5 with the flatline on it and the Car Stock with a response trigger, i've played around with it and honestly it's not what I want, for the money I've put into it so far I just don't have the performance I want and the gun itself just feels heavy and sluggish, and I HATE how the hopper is right in your field of view, I just see the ability to always have my marker at the ready to fire on an opponent the moment you see them with accuracy is better than having to bring it up to your shoulder and aim for em. That and the fact that when you have that marker drawn you cant see anything to your right.

As for paying too much for the flatline, yes I'm aware I paid too much but basically theres only one shop in the area and I don't have many options, it's either pay their price or pay the same for one off the internet with shipping and then have to wait for it. Luckily having spent this much money in the shop, and bringing in 3 more people who have bought the following

Nick - Digi Camo A5 w/14" barrel, mask, 20oz CO2 Tank, case of balls
Kevin - 98c w/flatline and stock, case of paint, HPA tank, pods
Cam - Spyder MR-1 starter kit, HPA tank, case of paint and pods

They've made a lot of sales off of people I've introduced to the sport, those 3 were just in the last month, I could see them taking in my A5 which has barely been used at all and sell it as a Special Ops package (all theyd have to do is add a remote line), and give me the store credit to grab a DP, cause it's not like they're giving me the cash back to walk out, they're giving me another gun off the shelf, profiting again off the same A5 I already bought off of them, and possibly getting me onto the speedball range to spend even more on their gear, so yeah, I might be talkin to them about it, I just don't like the fact that I can practically dump 1k into this gun and still have a gun whose performance I'm not satisfied with

Oh and as a sidenote this is purely 100% my opinion, I don't want to insult anyone, I don't want to get flamed for this but honestly from what I've seen in videos, heard people saying, saw in many forums and websites Tippmann is over glorified and the idea of Milsim has gone very far beyond paintball, it seems to me like people are treated it more as a lifestyle or hobby than a game anymore. The guys who are really into milsim seem to like talking about their guns and their gear and working on it more than they like playing the game, at first when I got my A5 yes I was looking at every mod and upgrade I could find on the net, endless sites but honestly now I just say to myself "if this gun is capable of so much performance, 15bps, 25bps etc, etc, then why do I need to upgrade my hopper? throw away the stock barrel, add squishee paddles, a regulator, and to be able to even aim the gun if I decide to buy a stock add a rail and a red dot?" to me it just screams "We're milking you!!" sell them something with potential....$1000's worth of limitless potential....

This post has been edited by _ORaNGe_FLaMeS_: 26 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users