Special Ops Paintball: Rec-ball - woodsball field rules - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rec-ball - woodsball field rules RULES (and radicals)THAT IRRITATE YOU MOST Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

As a field owner we strive to get the money paying player his monies worth.We strive to make their play experience fun and memorable.In exchange, we need to make a profit in order to keep bringing it too you the player.Paintball players need to support their local fields and vice versa because if they do not, we will not be here anymore.It is no secret paintball is struggling.What this thread will attempt to do is help to be a meeting of the minds of the players and the field owners to help serve each other in this most enjoyable sport. My hope is that it will help us both out.It will be simple: two questions 1 rule

Rule #1 Please keep it civil,and anonymous,NO field or persons names.(I hope the moderators will be of assistance here if needed)Please report if anyone does.This is not a ratting session.

Question #1 Players: What rules, field regulations,field policies,operating policies,really bug you?Be specific.

Question #2 Field owners:What customer personalities,conflagurations,idiosynchrosies,and downright ridiculous attitudes bug you? Be specific.

#2 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

Since it is my thread I guess I can post first,maybe.One of the things that bugs me about players is when they buy their equipment online,(probably paying more than I could have sold it to him,including shipping).First day on our field he brags about all his new stuff and where he got it(sometimes fabricating a "deal").His equipment doesn't work ,or it malfuntions,he then has the nerve to expect us to drop everything and get his equipment going for him.Since it is new and all.Any field owners relate?

#3 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hmmm... not sure where this is going, but what the hell.

I played a field once that allowed paint hand grenades, but then had a rule that only direct hits with the grenade itself count. Why would you throw a grenade at someone in the first place if you have a line of sight and could just shoot them more quickly and more easily? The whole point of a grenade is to get indirect fire on someone who's in a bunker or behind cover that you can't hit with a direct shot. So the grenade is allowed, but the rule completely defeats the purpose of the grenade and leaves it useless.

So just try to be consistant and make sure the rules make sense. If you've got rules that render grenades useless, don't bother, just don't allow grenades in the first place. If you're going to allow grenades, make sure that the rules allow the grenades to be used as they were meant to be.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

ref here:

One thing which bugs me is that our fields do not have a chronograph area. although it would be REALLY hard to squeeze on in. so usually I have to ask the owners to chrono while the renters stand around for a few minutes. normally not a huge issue, but when I ref. two things happen

1: I get the ball rolling, like 30 seconds between games, get paint, air. wipe down your hits and line up. so any break longer then 1 minute feels like age's have past.
2: for some reason owners take Minutes beyond minutes to get ready, not to mention I need to chrono them before so it takes even longer.

designated chrono area's are key.

Edit: I was actually talking to some guys when we were walking off the field and I told them. "If you cannot fill 4 pods, air up and wipe down your mask in under 45 seconds you just lost your tournament."

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 10 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

#5 User is offline   D Monster 

• Solider of Misfortune
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:D Monster

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

FPO that cost $90.
"If ya gonna be dumb, ya better be tough." My Da

I am a Disposable Hero...I get handed a job, I do the job. Shiny?
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

View PostEskimo, on 10 April 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

ref here:

One thing which bugs me is that our fields do not have a chronograph area. although it would be REALLY hard to squeeze on in. so usually I have to ask the owners to chrono while the renters stand around for a few minutes. normally not a huge issue, but when I ref. two things happen

1: I get the ball rolling, like 30 seconds between games, get paint, air. wipe down your hits and line up. so any break longer then 1 minute feels like age's have past.
2: for some reason owners take Minutes beyond minutes to get ready, not to mention I need to chrono them before so it takes even longer.

designated chrono area's are key.

Edit: I was actually talking to some guys when we were walking off the field and I told them. "If you cannot fill 4 pods, air up and wipe down your mask in under 45 seconds you just lost your tournament."

Rec-ball/Woodsball/Walk on, what it comes down to is good refs! And whoever is in charge of getting the games out on the fields weather it be the refs or someone else.
Too many times Ive had to take charge and split up the players and actually end up yelling... 3 2 1 GO!!!

Yep good Refs!
Thats your key ingredient to a good field!
Posted Image

37sps.com

#7 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

Field owners that take advantage of new players... I mean, I get that you have to mark up your stuff (e.g. VS online ... I mean, $40 vs $15 or less for gloves? A bit excessive... and yes, $90 FPO that's worth $30 retail...) but I personally have been ripped off with shoddy repair jobs, as well as others. For example, one forum member came on here to confirm that his marker issue was what his field said... his balls were rolling out of his Tippmann. Simple detent problem, right? Field tech said he needed a whole new VALVE. Among other things...we set the kid straight and told him where to get one for a few cents.

Paintball fields shouldn't act like so many poor mechanics shops.

#8 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

WOOOOOOWWWWWW That is messed up.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:30 AM

Im not a huge fan of mandatory surrender rules...the ones where a player is automatically out if you get within a certain distance.
Well meant usually, but just not practical. Cause more problems than they solve...

#10 User is offline   MejorQueNada 

• it is better to watch something than to do something
  • Pip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

I am not a big fan of FPO rules, especially when the box of paint is $85-90.. IF I bring my own paint, 1) make sure it's not monsterballs 2) charge me $5-10,I'm okay with that and understand.

Scenarios I am fine with field paint only, but give everyone a break because you are going to have masses show up and make money anyways.

The paintball fields around here that seem to be successful have several speedball fields(1 tourney and several pipes and bunker setups) and 1 woodsball area. You can go out and play in the woods if you want, but most of the action is on a small field. One scenario I went to, they integrated the speedball fields into the game and it was pretty crazy (slow regular fighting in the woods, then ramped up and exposed from many sides at the speedball.

Also, as a field, make sure you keep safety in mind. If you have a dangerous field, I probably wont be back. Chronos/barrel sleeves/masks/proper netting are all important and need to be enforced.
:P

#11 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

At the field I go to the owners are great, the field's great, the staff is good, and it's an all around good time, but the every-weekend players run the staging area(spread their stuff over a lot of the tables), swear all day long(yea, I know, freedom of speech, and that crap, but does every other word have to be four letters long?), and generally have bad attitudes, and the owner won't do anything about it. Oh well, just find the friendly people, they're usually pretty cool.
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#12 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostMejorQueNada, on 11 April 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

I am not a big fan of FPO rules, especially when the box of paint is $85-90.. IF I bring my own paint, 1) make sure it's not monsterballs 2) charge me $5-10,I'm okay with that and understand.

Scenarios I am fine with field paint only, but give everyone a break because you are going to have masses show up and make money anyways.

The paintball fields around here that seem to be successful have several speedball fields(1 tourney and several pipes and bunker setups) and 1 woodsball area. You can go out and play in the woods if you want, but most of the action is on a small field. One scenario I went to, they integrated the speedball fields into the game and it was pretty crazy (slow regular fighting in the woods, then ramped up and exposed from many sides at the speedball.

Also, as a field, make sure you keep safety in mind. If you have a dangerous field, I probably wont be back. Chronos/barrel sleeves/masks/proper netting are all important and need to be enforced.

Lucky - we get charged $20 a day PLUS FPO -_- lol

#13 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 11 April 2011 - 03:30 AM, said:

Hmmm... not sure where this is going, but what the hell.

I played a field once that allowed paint hand grenades, ........................
So just try to be consistant and make sure the rules make sense. If you've got rules that render grenades useless, don't bother, just don't allow grenades in the first place. If you're going to allow grenades, make sure that the rules allow the grenades to be used as they were meant to be.

I agree, if using grenades etc then allow for them in the rules, and make it clear.

e.g. In the UK we don't tend to have many of the 'baloon' type but use thunderflash or BB / pea type grenades and the paint grenades containg .68 paintballs.
In the past they have been used in the same way that it counted if they hit - but panit grenades in particular are pretty unreliable and ineffective compared to firing at the target.
Nowadays rules will be more appropriate - e.g. any 'exploding' grenade will count eliminations either within a distance, all people in the room or hut etc.
Sometimes the rules are not in force for eliminations - if so make it clear. Some of us will use them for atmosphere or distraction. But if eliminations count and thr rules are understood I have found that certain rental players will use them when they work out the right places and times to use them.

View PostMejorQueNada, on 11 April 2011 - 08:03 PM, said:

I am not a big fan of FPO rules.......

My opinion on FPO & scenarios is probably the opposite of yours.
In the UK the standard is:
Rental days (punters) - FPO - at the premium price (That is how sites make a living)
Walkon days - Combination of BYO and field paint available (FP at a discount compared to rental days, and usually a greater choice of type)
Events - BYO, field paint available, traders paint available. Paint sold at the lowest rate due to the higher quantites going through.

The ratio varies depending on the sites business. e.g. the original site that I was a regular at only ran rental days, did not do walkon days but allowed walkon players, the site was worth playing. So we paid the higher price to get the benefit of playing the site.

Safety is absolute. If I don't have confidence in basic safety then I am leaving - and will give that as feedback to anyone regarding the site.

View PostThe Stuntman, on 11 April 2011 - 08:30 AM, said:

Im not a huge fan of mandatory surrender rules...the ones where a player is automatically out if you get within a certain distance.
Well meant usually, but just not practical. Cause more problems than they solve...

All rules have to be clear and understood
If there is a limit on the proximity that people can shoot then make it clear.
Also make it clear that it means you cannot get closer, or that it is an elimination.

Also with surrender rule of any kind - make them clear.
Is it an offer? Is it compulsory when called?

If barrel tagging is required at proximity then make the definition clear.
In my opinion barrel tagging should be with the side of the barrel - to avoid real point blank shooting.
Also state if a tap on the shoulder counts - plus whether actual contact is compulsory - e.g. if I can walk right up to 4 opposition players can I just say 'Hi - and by the way you are all out'

View PostEskimo, on 11 April 2011 - 04:41 AM, said:

One thing which bugs me is that our fields do not have a chronograph area.

I find that the availability & quality of chrono areas depends on the target customer of the site.
If the site is aimed for rentals only then a chrono area may be less essential - the ite staff do all the prep and chrono prior to players arriving.

If having walkon players then a designated area is essential.

This can work if there are limited walkons - but only if the walkons are clued up.
As I said earlier the site we used to attend most often was a rental place. We would be secondary so would have to wait for the site chrono to be brought out of the store room. If they were not expecting us we may have to wait longer.
But bringing our own handhelds meant we could just as a marshall out to witness us - then later when we were known we could be left to it.

My general opinion - make rules clear & ensure they are understood
I am all for adjsuting rules for the players of the day - articularly for rental groups. The business is based on making sure they have fun, shoot more paint and return another day
But in the brief ask who is experienced, state what rules are in place - e.g. those areas as above, headshots, marker shots, blind firing, looking through holes and shootign through barricades ........

#14 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

I'm with Stuntman. My local field has the 'Safety Kill' rule. It's to keep younger/newer kids from taking that point blank shot and not wanting to come back, sure.
However the rule is that if more than two people are behind a bunker, you only take out two of them, and you yourself are also out. There are more than a few "bunkers" on our field that end up with 5 or 6 people behind them, especially toward the end of the game if your team is pushing.

It also creates less movement. Having to run up to the bunker, yell out 'Safety Kill' (you have to have a clear shot on the person for it to count, an area of many arguments), then duck back. Most of the time, it gets you shot too. I've just gotten in to the habit of running 15-20 feet to the side of the occupied bunker, to a different bunker (or going to one passed it), and turning and shooting however many people are in it. I don't break the minimum shooting distance (another safety/newbie friendly rule), but I don't have to stop and probably get shot myself.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#15 User is offline   MejorQueNada 

• it is better to watch something than to do something
  • Pip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

we play by bunker tag... if you smack a bunker and yell "bunker tag" everyone inside the bunker is out, and you're still alive and kickin'. It doesn't sound like the same thing as "safety kill". It tries to offset some of the advantages of having a bunker and promotes some more aggressive tactics.

This post has been edited by MejorQueNada: 11 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

:P

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users