• You cannot reply to this topic

Winter safety Hypothermia and frostbite

#16 User is offline   drake 

• chucho el roto
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SWAMP TING

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

Polyproplene socks and long under wear available at most sporting goods store it wicks the moisture away from your body so you don't freeze from your own sweat you don't need to layer up so much. I was working on a tv tower 1500 feet it was 17 below at the top I almost had to be belayed down the tower because I could not feel my feet from my sweat freezing.lucky I made it down safely. Iv'e been using poly pro ever since . I live in south Florida but I work on towers damaged by ice storms all over the U.S. . Poly keeps you toasty not clamy. :D
user posted image

#17 User is offline   Pooker 

• Lawl @ this forum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pooker

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

Polyproplene aka Under Armor Cold Gear.
Digitally Dangerous
"So what? She had sex in your bed... Somebody had to, and obviously you dropped the ball..." - Jones
"No, Puzuma, please tea bag me for free......actually....after that statement....I don't even care"- Deuce

#18 User is offline   oneeyedjack909 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:mr. break-ya-legs

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

neoprene gloves are great for winter cuz they have a tendancy to trap heat and still alow for decent dexterity.

#19 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:56 PM

Being from alaska ill put in a coupel words about winter paitnballing

Gear:

Make sure you have the proper gear for the tempurature outside

Underarmor-, and similar products, work great for a first layer becasue it keeps sweat away for the skin, as mentioned be4,

Coat- keeps your body warm so that warm blodd travels to your limbs, vary the thickness depending on the cold, if its below freezing make sure to have a jacket rated for that kind of weather.

Gloves- Gloves keep frostbite off of your hands, Find the right gloves for the temperature outside and, if your shooting CO2, try to find ones that are rated for about 20 degrees colder, ive been there.

Hat- wear a hat that covers your ears so they dont get frost bite, your head is one of the areas where the most heat is released.

Snowpants, pants- If theres alot of snow on the ground then snowpants are a must. If its not too heavy on the snow a pair of snowboarding pants work just as well.

Boots- often overlooked when dressigtn out make sure you botts have proper insulation for the weather, i have bunny boots: which are cold wheather paratrooper boots that are rated for 50 below zero. now if you can get a hold of a pair of these, usually at your local army surplus store, they are the best winter boots available, your feet wont get cold even if the rest of your body is freezing.

If out away for easy acess to a heat source, make sure you bring hand warming packets to keep in your gloves.

Please make sure anything you wear on the outer layer is WATERPROOF, not water resistant, any snow that gets exposed to the heat form your body melts and is absorbed into your clothing makeing them heavy which casues you to sweat more than usual and sweat is bad for winter paintball.
which brings me to stay hydrated, all that heavy winter gear makes you sweat

i often use this formula in paintball get some of your choice bottled water and soem gatorade mix.

put one and a half scoop inthe water bottle, this allows the nutrients in the gatorade to better absorb into your system through the dilution by the water

Trust me i snowmachine and snowboard as well as paitnball during the winter time and the best way to prevent hypothermia and frost bitye is to stop it before it starts.
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#20 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

good points "Guy in Digi Camo" but None the less A'm I not from the north pole? What Camo suggested all works wonders for your core temperature make sure everything is water proof. also If you dont have -50C coats then another option to go for ( this is for shorter periods of time do not use this method for all day paintballin ) is to wear ski/snowboard/ snow pants ( once again waterproof ) and a rain jacket ( water proof ) then wear LAYERS underneath. boxers. P'J's - sweat pants. then your snow pants get yourself winter socks - usally wool or thick thick cotton and your boots ( Abosulity use Digi's suggestion )
under your rain jacket. sweater. long sleeve and a thin top - tank top. Remember when you dress for the winter layers are your best chance, but having to many layers will cause you to freeze ( YES it will ) and having to less will also have after effects. like Freezing ( yes that does happen)
as for food get nutriants. energy bars are usless in the winter you need real nutriants. ( your body uses your stored fat to produce body heat this doesnt happen in the summer whitch is why in the summer you could eat a salad and feel full. in the winter you NEED food . salads fruit iron fibre calcium you need it to continue a healthy athletic day.) Ever wonder why animals up north are full of " Flab" its because thier body has taken the food they eat and directly stored it. in the summer your body burns it off easly. the stored "flab" keeps thier core temperatur up it keeps them active and moving and it allows them to eat, look for more, eat, burn that, eat look ect so now you understand why energy bars are no replacement for real food in the winter. Also leave no skin showing if you dont have gloves then get some. if you dont have a balaclava get one. the first thing your body does in the winter is clogg your mucus tracks and secrete old mucus. this is good aside from looking like the boogyman just date raped your face. keep your nose warm keep your hands warm keep your ears warm... any part of your body that is an Extremity ( arms. legs. nose. ears. chin. fingers. toes. ect ) if it aint your torso and head its an extremity meaning its expendable. meaning if your cold your body WILL ditch your fingers in order to keep blood going to your head and heart. great were on the same page about food and body parts. go play a round and after have everyone mentaly cheak themselfs. ( YES you can do that ) A'm I thirsty? am I hungry? Do my legs feel tired? have I been to the washroom lately? ( Yes that is importent too ) and before you go out for a winter day of paintball. And I cant stress this enough. BRING MORE THEN YOU NEED. I dont care if you say oh well its heavy or its to cumbersome.

#21 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

If you tell yourself. I'v got my gear i'v got three cereal bars. two sandwitches and four juice boxes should last four at least five hours.....No it wont if you eat one sandwithc in the summer you'll eat two. drink water and lots of it those juice boxes great way to drink water sugar and flavor at the same time. BUT your going to need at least a 36 case sold on bulk. cause they go fast. as food goes, bring a supper. a bagel with chicken ham cheese lettuce tomato olives peppers salt and more salt. after that have a salad with excess chikin tomatos cheese onions olives. and for ending maby A box of ceral bars if your uncertain. ( I would remember about bring more then you need ?) if you play all the time in the winter you will know why I say this because we've all been stuck with bringing what we bring in the summer. In the winter food is not optional its A nessecity. also Do not bring energy bars. EVER they only make you think your ready to go well in fact your not your body will simply store that bar and how much is a bar going to do compared to a meal. ( stored fat is all the same no-matter were it came from fifty bars is the same as one breakfast)

Oh yea ALWAYS eat breakfast. I dont want to explain it but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. ( you went eight hours of sleep and you dont feel hungry ? bull. your body needs it.)
I may seem like a food addict and may seem like I am the size of Russia, but in fact for 15 years at 130 pounds ( five foot eleven mind you ) thats considered healthy so shut it.

this is a graph that I made to explain your food usage.

Summer.------------------------Body heat----------stored--------immediatly used.
100%--------------------------------10%--------------30%------------60%.

Winter------------------------Body heat-------------stored--------immediatly used.
100%--------------------------- 65% ----------------35% ---------------0%
In the Winter your body doesnt use its food it stores it THEN uses it. The apple you ate wont be used for another four hours. your body is changing it into fat cells the fat cells from perivious food will be used before the food you just ate.
By using clothing knowladge from Digi. Whats going on knowlage from Puzuma and nurashment knowelge found on my two posts. then you should be on your way to a happy day

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 09 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users