Special Ops Paintball: Is there any good free noise reduction software? For photos... - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there any good free noise reduction software? For photos... Or not free Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

Topic pretty much, I need something that can help me improve the quality of pictures taken via phone that have a lot of noise. I'm looking for something free, but I'm also wondering what's recommended that isn't free.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#2 User is offline   Mitch Force 

• [l__(CRAYOLA)__l]>
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

If you have Photoshop, my friend tells me the Gaussian Blur Filter works pretty well. Camera Raw works pretty good too.

I think you'll need CS3 or newer though for Camera Raw.

#3 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

first...a pic by a phone you cant do much with. they dont have great lenses, and much magnification.....

but to reduce noise, there are filters in photoshop that help. gause blur isnt what you should go after to kill out noise, there is a NOISE REDUCTION filter in most versions of photoshop. the blur will only smudge the pixels and appear to clean it up, but in all essence you are just blurring the picture. its kinda like what "glamour shots" or any of those portrait studios do to smooth out the photos you pay them for, it makes everyone look like they have nice skin.

since it is a phone pic, i will be honest and tell you that since you arent starting out with the best quality of image, you may not be able to clean them up as much as you hope. its just the nature of the beast.

there is also a program called "noise ninja" which does well too, but i use CS3 and CS4 for my work, so i dont need NN.

one thing that can help is to make sure you have plenty of light and hold that phone still when shooting.

camera RAW is for working with a .RAW photo file. phones do not take those. for RAW files you need CS3 or newer.....i actually prefer 3 over 4....the layout in 4 just isnt openly friendly like 3.

#4 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

I would suggest Paint.Net(PDN) as it is a free program and has many useful addons. PDN is a PhotoShop kinda deal but it's layout is different. You have to get adjusted to using PDN if you already know PS. and did I mention PDN is free?
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#5 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Word I'll check into this. The phone pictures look fine on my desktop (CRT monitor) but when I view them on my laptop (which is some crazy resolution, I forget what) they look horrendous.
Maggot #53

#6 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

^^Are they stretched or something? I don't see why screen resolution would make them look worse at 100%
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

I honestly have no idea what happened, but they look terrible on my lappy. The colors are just horribly off.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 09 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Maggot #53

#8 User is offline   H3 Proto 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Pictures aren't audio files. :angry:

And all software is free.

This post has been edited by H3 Proto: 09 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

#9 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

All software is free. But you know. Gotta make it look proper. I pay for things.
Maggot #53

#10 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

ill do it for you if you give em to me...
in photosop 3/4 you can do filter>noise>less noise. as well as filter>noise>despecal. And play with those. then you can sharpen the pic an the noise wont come back

#11 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

PDN is pretty sweet for free software. Didn't help with my photos though... whatevs.
Maggot #53

#12 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

if the colors and other things are "off" or distorted, you may want to check the monitor settings and color settings for each computer. get you resolutions set as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users