Need help picking a high end gun Anyone willing to help is welcome

#1 User is offline   JTwo 

• The WAR HAWK
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:W4r Hawk

Post icon  Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

Hey guys,

I have been looking at buying a high end gun for sometime now and so far i've been confused the whole time. I'm new to the high high end markers, but really want to get one. I was looking at one model 09 ego and this is what it said:

Off-Set Lower Bores – Reduces off-axis forces
• Low Pressure operation – 160psi @ 290fps
• Air Efficient – 1700+ shots from 68/45
• Ultra High Performance Solenoid Valve
• Direct Porting System for Solenoid Inlet and Exhaust Pathways
• 2.5 x Larger Air Flow from LPR to Solenoid
• Zick Rammer Assembly
• 30% Increase in Valve Chamber Volume
• Cure2 Bolt
• Integrated LPR Assembly

• BBSS (Break Beam Sensor System)
• Black-On-White Transflective LCD Module
• Def-Tek Offset Feed
• C-Lever Clamping Feedneck
• Dual Selectable Trigger Switching – Opto and Micro Switches
• Dual Trigger Return Mechanisms – Spring and Magnetic Return
• Integrated Audible Beeper for Alarms and Actuations
• Capped and Uncapped Ramp Modes
• All Major Tournament Presets
• 9 Preset Debounce Modes
• 5-Point Adjustable Trigger
• T-Rail Mounting System
• OOPS – On/Off/Purge ASA System
• S3 Self-Purging In-Line Regulator
• 14” Shaft3 2-Piece 0.693” Barrel

Unfortunately I have no idea what 3/4s of that means. If someone could explain some of that or at least help me get a good high end gun that I will enjoy please comment. I'd greatly appreciate it.

This post has been edited by JTwo: 09 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

#2 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

in all honesty, if you really dont know what all that means, you probably arent ready for a high end gun just yet...

....i dont mean to sound mean, but if you dont know how to properly take care of it, you will never be able to enjoy it....

#3 User is offline   JTwo 

• The WAR HAWK
  • Pip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

No offense taking. I do agree with you, but the problem is I'm trying to learn because I want to move up to a high end marker. Even if I'm not ready to have a high end Marker, could you please try to explain to me a little about what some of the most important high end marker things are?

This post has been edited by JTwo: 09 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

#4 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

if you want to move up into the higher-end marker range, but want to save a LOT of money.... there's plenty of markers out there that are a lot cheaper than an 09 Ego would be.

The Bob Long Protege is $550-ish, and works with the same method of operation as the Ego does. It's not as good as the Ego, but at your level, I promise that you won't feel a difference in how they shoot. The only difference to you is that the Protege is larger in size.

The E-tek Ego is the baby brother of the regular Ego... and is very similar to the ego, but has less features on it.... which you won't need, especially at your level. The etek is a lot cheaper, too.

Both of these markers are fairly easy to maintain, and are a lot cheaper than the regular Ego 9, which retails above $1000. Check 'em out.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#5 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

....and for your enjoyment...

Off-Set Lower Bores ‚€œ Reduces off-axis forces : a fancy way of saying that the barrel is lower, and closer to your hand, making it more "point-and-shoot" friendly.
‚ Low Pressure operation ‚€œ 160psi @ 290fps : the operating pressure of the marker, 160 psi... which brings you to 290 fps (the speed of the paintball).
‚ Air Efficient ‚€œ 1700+ shots from 68/45 : air efficiency ratings. I expected more, personally. The protege gets better efficiency.
‚ Ultra High Performance Solenoid Valve : the solenoids are custom built for this marker, which is new to the industry.
‚ Direct Porting System for Solenoid Inlet and Exhaust Pathways : concerns the airways to and from the solenoid to the ram... when they custom-built the solenoid, they made it directly mounted to the ram housing, eliminating hoses and saving space within the marker. Good design, for sure. Too bad the ram sucks, hahaha.
‚ 2.5 x Larger Air Flow from LPR to Solenoid: Again, dealing with the customized solenoid. the lpr gets more air to it now... making it easier on the gun to shoot a ball.
‚ Zick Rammer Assembly : The ram/hammer "Rammer" is the upgraded version, called the Zick, which is "Zero Kick" mashed together... but it doesn't work as well as advertised. Not horrible, but not as great as it should be.
‚ 30% Increase in Valve Chamber Volume : more air in the valve chamber = less pressure on the ball. able to shoot more brittle paint because of this (in theory).
‚ Cure2 Bolt : a type of bolt developed by planet eclipse that has a beveled top edge, so as not to clip paintballs in the stack. I think they just came out with the cure3 in the past few months.
‚ Integrated LPR Assembly : the LPR is integrated into the marker. Wow.... same as every other similar marker.

‚ BBSS (Break Beam Sensor System) : it has eyes.
‚ Black-On-White Transflective LCD Module : it has an LCD screen.
‚ Def-Tek Offset Feed : slightly off-set feedneck, so that balls don't bounce back up when they hit the bottom of the chamber. Ingenious idea.
‚ C-Lever Clamping Feedneck : the feedneck clamps (tightens) by hand.
‚ Dual Selectable Trigger Switching ‚€œ Opto and Micro Switches : the trigger can either click, or just pass by a laser to fire a ball. People like different things, so eclipse put both on the ego for people to choose.
‚ Dual Trigger Return Mechanisms ‚€œ Spring and Magnetic Return : same concept... people like the feel of either springs or magnets on the trigger... so now you can choose whichever is right for you.
‚ Integrated Audible Beeper for Alarms and Actuations : the gun beeps if you want it to. (like a game timer)
‚ Capped and Uncapped Ramp Modes : board setting that adds in shots when you shoot fast.
‚ All Major Tournament Presets : needed to play in PSP, CFOA, Mullenium, USPL, etc.... tournaments.
‚ 9 Preset Debounce Modes : marker setting on the board.
‚ 5-Point Adjustable Trigger : the trigger can be adjusted at 5 points for the best feel from the user.
‚ T-Rail Mounting System : the way an ASA connects to the gun on the bottom of the grip.
‚ OOPS ‚€œ On/Off/Purge ASA System : the ASA has a lever that purges air, so you can disconnect the air tank easier.
‚ S3 Self-Purging In-Line Regulator : the regulator purges itself when you disconnect the air. (a good thing)
‚ 14‚ Shaft3 2-Piece 0.693‚ Barrel : the barrel.

there you go.

This post has been edited by ^!): 09 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#6 User is offline   JTwo 

• The WAR HAWK
  • Pip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

Thank you very much for explaining everything. I'll defiantly check out those other guns.

#7 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

If you have the money, Macdev makes some amazing stuff. An 07 Cyborg, while slightly larger than newer guns, shoots like a champ. LOVED mine, but needed money more.

An 07 Ego with a Zick kit is pretty similar to an 09, except louder. The rest is trivial if you've never shot anything better. Personally, the Vice and Protege are vastly superior to any Ego I've shot... but I haven't shot an 09. The Cyborg shoots better, too, but is bigger. Doesn't feel as fragile, though, which is nice. It's a real workhorse.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#8 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

And I am going to side away from some of the earlier comments a bit.

Yes I agree with Nate. Macdev is the high end I recomend. Yes our team is sponsored by them, but that was by our choice. We used their gear and founde it to be the best fit for us playing woods/scenario/rec ball and persued the sponsorship and MacDev agreed.
The reasons....They Cyborg just operates smoother than the Ego in all my experiences with both. I would rather shoot a '04 Cyborg than a '09 Ego simply based on the feel of the gun while shooting.
i have yet to shoot an RX for more than a few shots so I will not make a compairison other than what the folks who own RX's on are team say...well when they are not smiling they claim it to shot just as smooth as a spool operated gun.

So I would recomend a RX Cyborg or a '07 Cyborg over the Ego...

Now that I have established that personal account on to others!

You obviously are doing research to find the right gun for you. Good ! Keep asking questions!
When you do find a short list of guns you are considering, please try to find one locally that you can shoot. If only at a target range....better if the owner will let you play a game with it.
Shooting it will let you know if the gun itself fits you as a player.

Also take into consideration the local players. If by chance you have a good number of local ballers shooting Ego's..chances are you will be better able to identify future operation issues faster. And if you think you need to send the gun out for service...look at where the certified techs are around the country. Are you going to have to wait 10-14 days becuase the only tech you can trust is 2500 miles away?

Then the biggie...buy what you want! Save the money and make the purchase you want the first time. Settling for a lesser modle because you are not tech savy to start with will only mean you spend more money in the long run upgrading to a better gun when you are more comfortable with the high end techno babble.

Once you do decide on the gun and purchase it...keep doing research. Usually there are deicated forums out there for your gun...if not the gun then the manufacturer. Read those forums and you will be prepaired for any glitches or problems that might arise with ownership. Keeping an eye one the owners groups is a great way to trouble shoot problems without looking like a complete idiot.
And if you do have a troubled gun that you can not get running right because you have no experience....those same owners groups will take you under their proverbial wing and talk you through most common issues without you needing to ship your gun to timbuckthree for a tech to do 40 seconds of work and charge you $40. They may poke a little fun at your ignorance...but that is just the online community as a whole. They feel better making fun of others who can not identify them in the meat.

Ok. condensed answers if I typed too much!

I recomend the Cyborg RX or '07 Cyborg over the Ego.
Keep researching to find what you like and buy what you want the first time to save money in the long run.
Keep doing research after you buy the gun to stay informed. Use the online owners groups...they are a great tool.

#9 User is offline   Danger Dan 

• Team Desert Edge
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Danger Dan

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

I agree with MOST all of what Krazy posted. I Have the exact opposite feelings on the EGO vs Cyborg (Yes even the RX that I owned for about a month) but I will stay away from that long debated topic here so I can stay on target.

Get what works FOR YOU. There are sooo many incredible high end markers out there. Just take you time and find out what works the best for you and your game. Learn about your marker and take care of it. Even in lesser models of guns most problems are from the owner not knowing how to care for the gun or screwing something up on his own.

#10 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

Something else... have you ever used an electropneumatic gun before? If not, look into a Lasoya Promaster. Very, very cheap ($75) but it will get you a feel for what an electro can do. It's best to replace the regulators (SCM-III by AKA for your LPR, Sidewinder or Fatty Stabilizer or Hyper 2 or similar for your inline regulator). However, buying a gun like that can be a very wise investment, considering it's about as expensive as a spare ram for the pricier guns, but lets you try the whole electro thing.

Personally, I hate electros, and were I not on a team, wouldn't shoot one, ever. But I found that out with a $75 gun, not a $900 gun, which was nice. Then I had to change my mind when I found myself playing tourney ball and being outgunned (if never outshot) by all the paint-slingers. Just can't lane with a mech the same way. If you just want a nice feel, automags (ULE body, ULT trigger kit, X-valve) can do very, very nicely, as can a Palmer's Blazer.

This post has been edited by flyweightnate: 12 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#11 User is offline   pdxp8ntballer 

• Now in certified PSP ref flavor!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:big bruno

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

Another choice would be the Dangerous Power line. Yes I am biased, my team is sponsored by them. But for about $300 you can pick up a G3 thats a spool valve and shoots really nice and their customer service is second to none. They are super easy to maintain and upgrade. But like Krazy 8 and Danger Dan said, do your research, ask questions and get whats best for you!
Team Blacksheep: 2008, 2009 SPPL Oregon sportsmanship winners, 2010 Oregon masters divison first place. www.teamblacksheep-pb.com
Thanks to our awesome sponsors! www.Dangerouspower.com www.actionacrespb.com

#12 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

View PostDanger Dan, on May 12 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

I agree with MOST all of what Krazy posted. I Have the exact opposite feelings on the EGO vs Cyborg (Yes even the RX that I owned for about a month) but I will stay away from that long debated topic here so I can stay on target.

You will never sway me! I am not influenced by....Oooo shiney thing! :laugh:

Get what works FOR YOU. There are sooo many incredible high end markers out there. Just take you time and find out what works the best for you and your game. Learn about your marker and take care of it. Even in lesser models of guns most problems are from the owner not knowing how to care for the gun or screwing something up on his own.

The short little man speaks the truth. :heart:

#13 User is offline   headhunter2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:headhunter2

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:43 AM

I agree with what everyone else has said so far only thing I would recommend different for someone new to the world of high end markers, is get one that is a couple years out of model. Pick up a DM 7 or an older platform angel. I have played with many different kinds of markers ranging from spyders to tippmanns to shoe box shockers. I've played with e bladed cockers and just recently went from using a DM 3 (great marker just a little heavy) to an 05 angel speed. The one thing that I have learned over the years is try before you buy. Don't buy a marker just because it looks cool or someone said it was agg (gah I can't believe I just used that term) buy it because it fits your style of play.
Invisible text club member #15 Every time you wipe paint God makes a new PETA member Adminion #12 My Feedback
If you play your own game of paintball using Spec ops as guidelines and not as "law of position", put this in your sig.

#14 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

And I will pipe up with that I agree with the people about doing your homework. There are so many good and great markers out there that it can be rather dizzying. I have played with a Planet Eclipse marker a few times, and currently play with a team that is sponsored by Planet Eclipse, and can honestly say that the GEO, which just came out in the last seven or so months, is one of the best spool valved markers that I have ever played with. I have a GEO now, as well as an Ego8 for a backup. But I have had a love affair for the MacDev markers as well. I finally got myself a Droid (MacDev's spool valved marker) and liked it quite a bit, despite my normal dislike for spool valve markers. I still have my 06 Spiderman Cyborg (Just fancy name for red and blue) that I enjoy, even though I am unable to shoot it currently due to my sponsorship. I would absolutely love to get myself a Cyborg RX, I have the opinion that everything that would be done completely right about a poppet marker is the Cyborg RX. But I want to throw another marker for you to consider. It is an AKA Viking. There are some disadvantages, they are no longer made, some of the parts are difficult or expensive to replace, there are only a few places that will tech them, if you don't have someone local to you that knows them, they are bricks (Unless you get them milled to remove the weight and round them out), there is a limited availability of aftermarket parts. But some of the great things about them: they require less maintainance than anything else, they were getting 2000 shoots from a full 68/4500 tank back in 2002 (Before anyone else), they are durable, they are fast, and if you are concerned about buying something and not liking it, having to turn around and sell it to get something else, they hold their value better than anything else. I have owned a number of Vikings, and have my one true baby. No matter what, I won't get rid of it.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#15 User is offline   Danger Dan 

• Team Desert Edge
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Danger Dan

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:33 AM

View PostKrazy8, on May 12 2009, 04:17 PM, said:

View PostDanger Dan, on May 12 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

You will never sway me! I am not influenced by....Oooo shiney thing! :)

FYI I have always and will always be influenced by shiny things. Its actually one of my trade marks. :wacko:

View PostKrazy8, on May 12 2009, 04:17 PM, said:

The short little man speaks the truth. :heart:

Step stools are cool!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users