Special Ops Paintball: Considering joining a speedball team... any suggestions? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Considering joining a speedball team... any suggestions? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Perinhawk 

• Will Work for Paintball Cash :)
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Perinhawk

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

I am seriously considering joining a speedball team in about a year. Any suggestions for a good starter marker (relatively easy to maintain, somewhat inexpensive, preferably electropneumatic) $350 being the absolute maximum for the marker. I'm giving myself a year to save up for a marker and things. I currently own a heavily modded 98 custom, so I definitely need a different marker to be competitive in a tournament speedball team. I am also looking at a new loader and possibly goggles. I currently own a proto switch EL, considering switching to profilers or grills. IF I have any extra $$ possibly a jersey and pants, probably one that was released a few years ago. Please give me suggestions, and if all this is necessary. My current gearset is all camouflage and designed for durability and low price, not competitive performance. My ideal setup is a Blackhearted Vibe or Invert Mini, 9v Fasta, Grills, and an older jersey and pants (new, but released in 07 or something like that).
"Paintball is my art, and your mask is my canvas"- Me
Addicted to Paint

#2 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

For a marker, I'd suggest checking out a mini, ETEK's, older Egos, Matrix's, and smart parts. Anything will work for speedball, just some markers are better suited for it. If you really wanted to, you could use your 98 custom, but its too big and bulky. I use to shoot an ETEK, and I loved it. It was an excellent marker for what I paid for it. It was fast, almost too fast for me.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#3 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

If I were you I wouldn't really put a time limit on it. Buy your stuff and start playing with it. Start trying out for local teams and just see where it goes from there.

For your gun there are quite a few options, but a Mini or G3 would probably be your best bet if you insist on buying new. You may be able to buy an Etek used for that price though, I'm not really sure how much those go for these days. I would suggest browsing the B/S/T to see if you can find anything before you really make a decision. You can get some great deals that way.

You could probably play with the goggles you have now just fine if the lenses don't fog or anything, but eventually you probably will want to upgrade to something a little smaller and softer. Pretty much any high end goggle will work, so basically it comes down to preference. I have V-force grills and love them, but some people swear by Dye or JT goggles. I suggest you look at reviews online and then take a trip to your local shop. Pick the mask that fits best on your face and offers the right amount of protection for you. Not everyones head is shaped the same so even if it works for someone else it may not fit you right.

Pretty much any loader will keep up now that they lowered the cap, so anything will do. But having a light weight loader that doesn't go through batteries like crazy is nice. I've heard great things about the new Rotor, but haven't used one. The new Empire Prophecy is also supposed to be pretty good. It also has different nose cones that you can switch out for different ammo capacities.

For a jersey and pants pretty much every company is making good stuff these days. For a jersey I like my Eclipse one. The 08's are going for $30 on actionvillage. For pants I have Proto pants and they are pretty good, mostly because they are cheap but durable. But again, you can't really go wrong with most companies out there.

A few crucial things that you didn't include are pads. Slider shorts, elbow pads, and knee pads not only protect you when you dive or slide but also give some extra bounce factor (call it cheap if you want, it's part of the game). It's not something people really think of when they start out, but it's important. So let's start with slider shorts. Dye slider shorts are pretty good, thats what I use and they have good hip/groin protection. When I baseball slide they really help on tough ground. I even have a BNIB pair that I'd give to you for pretty cheap. Knee pads are also a big one, they'll protect you on those rough knee slides and are great for when you need to get small to get behind a bunker. I have Dye 08 knee pads and they are pretty nice. They do slip a little from time to time, but if you keep them tight and just make sure to pull them up a little in between games they work nice. I'd look at some reviews on pnation/pbreview to see what else is out there too. Now elbow pads are usually on the bottom of the list for pads, but they are also important. If you play front you will probably superman dive every now and then and these will really keep you from busting up your elbows. They also give some extra bounce if you are hit in the forearms, since they are usually exposed a little. I suggest Planet Eclipse for these.

Hope this helps.

#4 User is offline   Perinhawk 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions, but I'm waiting a year to improve my skills, get enough money to buy all of this stuff, and since I don't know whether or not the team has an age limit, I'm going to wait for now. Unfortunately most of the things you've suggested are out of my price range. I pretty much need to get a new gearset, I'm just starting speedball and most of my gear is either too bulky, too camouflaged, or not bouncy enough to be competitive in a team.

This post has been edited by Perinhawk: 27 June 2009 - 03:53 AM

Addicted to Paint

#5 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:45 AM

I have both the EL and the FS versions. I love 'em both. I use the FS a ton more, though, because of the soft rubber. I think the Switch system is a good mask for speedball. If not, then the Axis. (I'm bias)
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#6 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

For Speedball, I use my Fusion Battle Pants and Jersey. They work great for me and I got the whole set for only $20!!! I don't really worry about the camo concept. I do get a few weird looks though, but my jersey does have the black center.

#7 User is offline   Perinhawk 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

I've decided I won't get a jersey/pants set, I've tried my Fusion pants and Ultralite jersey in speedball, and they are great!
Addicted to Paint

#8 User is offline   light-u-up 

• Everybody needs seizures!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:light-u-up

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

the jersey and pants can wait, I don't know about you but knee pads were big for me, I'm definitly happy I got a good pair because your knees will get sore after a while.

$350 for a gun can get you something nice

very smexy shocker
good looking pmr and nxt
nice threshy

just grab some gear and get out and play
you can find a good hopper for cheap a nice halo b will keep up and you can find them for $30-60

#9 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:48 AM

For $350, you're going to have to go for a used marker. You can find some pretty good 06 guys that are just as good as the 09 versions, only an ounce or two heavier.
I got a Bob Long Marq6 for $375. Two years before that, it was $1050. I bet you could get a DM5/Ego5/older Angel, Halo B, and a small air tank for right around $350 now.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#10 User is offline   Perinhawk 

• PipPip

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

I use Fusion 7 pants, so I already have built in kneepads, they're pretty nice. The team I'm going to join already has a custom team jersey, so I don't have to worry about that. I already have an HPA tank (that can shoot about, so I don't need that. I've read good reviews on 9v Fastas and Invert Reloader II's, both are around $50. I still don't know if I should get a used older highend (Ego '05, DM5, etc.), or a brand new lower end electro (Invert Mini, G3, etc.). The only problem I can forsee with getting an older highend is the availability of replacement parts, plus the likelihood of it needing replacement parts (being 4 or 5 years old and used). Same debate with the loader, I don't know if I should get a used high end loader or a new lower end.

This post has been edited by Perinhawk: 28 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

Addicted to Paint

#11 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kontract Killa

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

Ive been using a PM6 that i got for like 350.00 a couple years ago, and it has NEVER gave me an issue. Parts are still fairly easy to come by, and the best part about High Ends like that, the really important parts usually dont break. Im a Bob Long fan, though i have never owned one, and ill reccomend Proto as a current owner.
The Free 19th.

#12 User is offline   light-u-up 

• Everybody needs seizures!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:light-u-up

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

very true, you can probably buy an old pm7 for $200-250. And you'll never have to worry about parts being gone. Alot of the parts are same parts for other pm and dm series guns.

#13 User is offline   Tim Burton 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Don't sell out!!!!!

#14 User is offline   Mitch Force 

• [l__(CRAYOLA)__l]>
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

^

lolwut?

#15 User is offline   Perinhawk 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

I think he thinks I'm quitting woods altogether or something. I would never abandon woods games, I spent a LOT on my woods setup.

This post has been edited by Perinhawk: 29 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

Addicted to Paint

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users