Special Ops Paintball: How to chronograph your marker. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to chronograph your marker.

#1 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

Chronograph=chrony

Chronograph for paintball in most cases is a device that works on the bases of radar. This radar measures the speed of paintballs in feet per second (fps.)

Since my last scenerio event I've been meaning to type something up on this. I never realized so many people make mistakes when chronying.

Two things to know:

1. Never accept +300 fps as good enough. The masks are rated for paintballs that are travelling 300 fps or less.
2. You need to fire two ball to get a true rating.

I. Now rule number one is simple. Safety first. If you think that doesn't matter than consider that the ball was never designed for the excessive pressure and may either break in the barrel or curve widely and inconsistantly.

II. You need to fire two ball to get a true rating.
Let's touch on this and use plenty of examples why I say this.

A. Highend electro pneaumatic markers.

i. Most regulators will hold a charge. When you fire once and adjust your reg you don't change the charge already in the reg. So your next shot will be similar to your first shot. If you shoot twice after an adjustment the second shot will show more true to your new velocity settings.

Note that even low end markers with regulators may hold charges and are subject to this.

ii. New regulators will be inconstant. You'll get a larger fluxuation in fps between shots. You need to know the average you're shooting.

iii. FSD (first shot drop) - this means your shot is less in fps than the following shots.

iv. ABS (anti bolt stick) - this is programming by the board to give more kick to the first shot to counteract FSD. The next shot will usually be a lesser velocity and read true. We don't want your first shot over 300 fps.

B. Lowend markers.

i. In this case we have CO2 spiking. The CO2 we have in our tanks is liquid and it expands to a gaseous state. If you put a freshly chilled CO2 tank on your marker or move a tank from cold to warm area the CO2 shall expand excessively in your marker. The first shot in this case will read high. The next shot shall read closer to your true velocity.

ii. Poppet style rear spring adjustments. ie Spyders, clones, cockers.

These rely on spring tension to move the hammer forward. Although you lessen pressure on the spring that spring is still bunched up and will change when expanded then compressed to the new positon. Your second shot with the spring resituated will show more true.

C. Paint and bore match.

No two paintballs are the same. Even in the same bag some balls may be .689 in diameter and some may be .687. The small balls will allow more air to bypass it in the barrel and not reach the same speed as a well matched paintball (tightly fitting paintball.)

Setting up for the FPS.

If I have to set to 280 fps I don't turn down my marker in small increments. I always prefer to turn my marker way down and work my way up. I'll turn myself down to about 265 or 270 fps and make a couple of small adjustments. I think it's better to fine tune knowing that you are within limits than trying to fine tune knowing that you are in violation.

Chrony positioning.

Every Chrony I have seen has been designed to be placed within the last 2" of the barrel before recording the shot. Many people place the chrony wherever on the barrel. They were not designed for this.

Handheld chronies.

With any hand held chrony never hold your hand across the back. This is where the radar sensors are. Always hold it by the top or bottom.

Chrony/Batteries.

Sometimes you can blame the equipment. Some chronies won't read shots below 200 fps. Often times a weak battery in a chrony will give crazy readings.

Preparation.

You know what allan key or equipment you require to chrony your equipment. Make sure you have the necessary gear with you when entering the Chrony area. Nobody wants you holding up the line waiting for you to borrow allan keys.

Finally when your are done. Give another two shots at the chrony to make sure no mistakes were made.

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 17 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

Agreed. Only two points i want to make.

1. If you have a reg, fire 4-5 shots between reg adjustments to fully give the reg time to seat before chronoing. The first few will be all over til the reg locks in at the set PSI.

2. Fresh batteries are a must.

I always bring my chrono with me when i go to a field so i can chrono myself to 275 fps then just walk to the front of the line, fire my two shots and be done. Saves the field time too as i don't have to tie up their only chrono.

Problem is once my batteries were going it was getting wonky readings. Saying i was shooting 160-200 fps. Well i kept craking in my RVA. I finally go over the real red chronos and i was shooting 380 fps. Replaced the batteries next time and it works fine again. So please change your batteries in it at least once every two years, depending on usage.

Which reminds me, i bought a 6 pack of those watch batteries for the yellow handheld radarchrons, i am karmaing one off and want it to have fresh batteries. If you want one, PM me, i have 4 i will give away, one per person. Just need an address.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

wow, has there really never been a thread on this before?

#4 User is offline   CAN77 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CAN77

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

Once in the summer, I was playing a tournament, in South Carolina, it was like 95 degrees and really humid out and there was no shade.

The tourny paint was X-ball (68.7 bore size), and I was using a 68.9 evil driver bore.

I was running my Timmy at 80 PSI (the usual operation pressure)

and the balls would swell up so much that in my first game they were shooting around 150 feet at 283 FPS, then by my third game about 20-25 minutes later my paintballs were only shooting about 30 feet at 205 FPS. I had to turn my Timmy up to 100 PSI just to get my paint shooting at 270 FPS.

So weather can change the distance and the velocity of a paintball, because it effects the bore size of the ball.

#5 User is offline   Kodiak 

• Captain DHP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Sep 3 2008, 12:01 AM, said:

Most masks are rated for 300 fps or less.

Unless you can show that in writing from a manufacturer, I disagree. Why would any mask be rated for LESS than 300 FPS???

#6 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

300 fps or "Less"....that sounds like a Typo to me, because even with Airsoft Goggles, the lens are rated over 300 fps.

#7 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Also like to add that with 12 grams, the first shot is usually higher than all the rest. Also fire about once every 5 seconds when using twelve grams at the chrono so the 12ie can heat up to it's full pressure.

This post has been edited by slowerpig81: 17 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

#8 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

View PostKodiak, on Sep 29 2008, 07:39 PM, said:

Unless you can show that in writing from a manufacturer, I disagree. Why would any mask be rated for LESS than 300 FPS???

You are right to disagree. If you look on wikipedia you will see that 300 fps is the MINIMUM safety rating that manufacturers have to meet. So every (legal) paintball mask on the market has to be rated to consistently take direct hits from paintballs traveling at 300 fps. Some companies will go above and beyond and others will not. That is why most fields require 280 or lower. It keeps everyone well within the safe range but still allows enough velocity for the paint to be effective. Now don't think that I disagree with the post. Safety is number 1 and I am glad that you posted this topic. I completely agree with the safety measures. I just don't want people thinking that their masks aren't going to hold up and, consequently, turning their markers down too low to be effective. Great post!
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#9 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

View PostKodiak, on Sep 29 2008, 10:39 PM, said:

Ok - I just noticed what you are saying. "The masks are rated for paintballs that are traveling 300 fps or less." That is the minium standard for a paintball mask. After that there's a risk factor as you know.

I'll fix that.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users