Special Ops Paintball: Which SP Marker Good for beginner? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which SP Marker Good for beginner? Need an easy to use marker that is CO2 friendly

#1 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Rathje

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hi guys. I currently use a non-electronic Spyder MR-1. Good, reliable gun. I like that it's durable enough for woodsball (all I play) and looks mil-sim enough. Drawbacks are that it's loud (I don't like drawing attention to myself on the field), and the rate of fire is probably a bit less than I'd like. Also, I'd just like to have a second gun to play with and use the other as a backup or loaner.

I'm not really sold on Tippmans, and I used my friend's SP-1 once and really liked it, so I'm looking at Smart Parts. What I want to know is which SP marker I should consider.

Here's how I play:

1. I don't shoot a ton in a game. Last game, I played all morning from 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM and only shot under 400 balls. Never even went through a hopper in a single session. If you care about those Special Ops positions, I play like a Dagger - lots of maneuver, and only small bursts of shooting. I never use full-auto mode (although it might be fun - just to have for scenario play).

2. I'm a beginner. This means I don't have the technical know-how to dink around with a technically complex marker (one thing I like about my MR-1 is that it's easy for a dummy to maintain it).

3. I also don't care too much about bullets-per-second. 10 bps is probably as high as I need (and honestly, I probably don't have trigger skills for much more). But I would like to pump out about five rounds really quick (my aim isn't so hot - so I need to compensate with multiple quick-shots).

4. I move a lot, so I'd like a small lightweight marker. Those tricked-out Tippman A-5s with butt-stock, M-16 barrels, tripods, and stuff don't interest me at all. So I also don't care about mil-sim upgrades too much. A Red Dot sight is about the most I would consider (and not for a while anyway).

5. I can't afford HPA, and I don't know anywhere nearby that even fills them - so whatever I buy has to run well on CO2. This is non-negotiable. The marker has to run well on CO2 (keep in mind that I don't shoot too much, so freezing the internals is probably not so big a concern as it would be for some Broadsword player).

6. I don't like remote lines. I tried it while using my friend's SP-1 and I didn't like that thing bouncing around on my butt while I tried to run for cover. I want my air on-gun.

7. I'm a young father, and I'm not made of money. I don't want to mess with anything over $200.00 (no Shockers and even upscale Ions are probably pushing it).

So - to summarize: I want an inexpensive, reliable, simple maintenance marker that is lightweight and runs well off CO2 on-gun.

After looking on Smart Parts' website, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Vibe (suggested retail price - $149.95)
SP-1 (suggested retail price - $174.95)
Ion (basic version) (suggested retail price - $164.95)

I like the mil-sim looks of the SP-1, but this isn't a big deal to me. As long as I can get it in all-black, I'm good.

Which of these markers is the best fit for what I'm looking for?

#2 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

Go for the vibe or SP-1. Smart Parts is a debatable company that makes some bad stuff.

One example of such is the Ion so avoid that.

if its about money go for the vibe, they are very similar aside from the mil-sim shell the SP-1 has.

If you want to play more scenario ball or like the look go SP-1 but yeah same basic marker so its really a preference thing between the two of em.

and oh yeah its balls per second (bps) getting balls and bullets confused could cause you a problem or two. :heart:
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#3 User is offline   p8blr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbrules15

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

I would go for the Vibe or SP-1. I would stay away from Ion's, they have a pretty bad rap, and for what you pay for the Vibe or SP-1 is going to be the better deal, especially for co2. My primary gun is a SP-1 and I love it (i made a post in the gallery not too long ago, check that out). I am running on CO2 as well, but I have the gun on remote. The vibe and the SP-1 are identical guns internally. So the only decision you have to make is: do you want a milsim style or a tourney style marker?

I know you said you did not want to spend a lot on a gun, but nevertheless here are a few suggestions:
-Apex barrel, for the woods, even on the speedball field, the apex barrel does wonders. I do not have to tell you about it, check all around, it is very popular. Mike at techpb did a video on it, you might want to check out youtube for that. The stock barrel that the apex comes on is fine to use, but you will get better and quiter performance with something like the lapco bigshot, or the all american, on a freak system.
-Agitated loader, I know you said you do not shoot fast, but even then it's a pain to have to give your loader a shake every time you dry fire. More so in the case of a vibe/sp-1 because it has almost no noticeable kick. I would go with something like a revy, or a revy clone (like empire), at the most it will cost you around thirty bucks.

Hope this helps!

#4 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rathje

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to remember bps = BALLS per second.

Narrowing it down to the SP-1 and Vibe then... I take it that neither of you are that thrilled with putting CO2 on-gun for either of these markers? I really don't like running a remote line. Keep in mind I don't shoot too much. Would I really run a risk of freezing the internals? Or are you more worried about pressure-spikes?

If nothing from Smart Parts does that well with CO2 on-gun, maybe I need look at some other brands...

Did like the day I spent running the SP-1 though...

#5 User is offline   Kodiak 

• Captain DHP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

SP a debatable company with questionable quality???? Not even close! My 2 1/2 year old Ion is still operating wonderfully w/ no issues. I suggest you purchase the Vibe. The Vibe is cheaper, operates on CO2 and is light same as the SP-1.

For your consideration

TechPB's Vibe Review

TechPB's SP-1 Review

This post has been edited by Kodiak: 13 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

#6 User is offline   p8blr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbrules15

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

I will admit that HPA beats CO2 on almost every level, however I realize your situation. In fact, your situation is very similar to mine, answer being we both use CO2. However, I think you will be just fine if you choose the Vibe or SP-1, they are one of the few electronic markers that run CO2 well. Especially because of the relief valve, forget getting liquid into the gun, it dumps the liquid before it can cause much or a spike in velocity or damage to parts, and with only one moving part in the gun, there is not much to go wrong. Make sure you use the wedge for the asa that comes with the gun. You might also research getting an anti-siphon.

Also, just to throw it in there, check out the Azodin Blitz or Zenith. Yes they are blowbacks, but they are what the average blowback gun, "should be" and they will run CO2 fine.

#7 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

SP-1
Vibe
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   focus 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Focus

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

View PostRathje, on Jul 13 2009, 01:34 PM, said:

Hi guys. I currently use a non-electronic Spyder MR-1. Good, reliable gun. I like that it's durable enough for woodsball (all I play) and looks mil-sim enough. Drawbacks are that it's loud (I don't like drawing attention to myself on the field), and the rate of fire is probably a bit less than I'd like. Also, I'd just like to have a second gun to play with and use the other as a backup or loaner.

I'm not really sold on Tippmans, and I used my friend's SP-1 once and really liked it, so I'm looking at Smart Parts. What I want to know is which SP marker I should consider.

Here's how I play:

1. I don't shoot a ton in a game. Last game, I played all morning from 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM and only shot under 400 balls. Never even went through a hopper in a single session. If you care about those Special Ops positions, I play like a Dagger - lots of maneuver, and only small bursts of shooting. I never use full-auto mode (although it might be fun - just to have for scenario play).

Vibe. Its a tiny bit smaller/more compact than the SP-1. The 11bps cap is more than than enough for this type of play.

2. I'm a beginner. This means I don't have the technical know-how to dink around with a technically complex marker (one thing I like about my MR-1 is that it's easy for a dummy to maintain it).

I went from a Spyder to the SP-1. The vibe/sp-1 are far superior in every way. They are very easy to maintain, single screw for the bolt out back and you have the internals out and ready for lubing /cleaning.

3. I also don't care too much about bullets-per-second. 10 bps is probably as high as I need (and honestly, I probably don't have trigger skills for much more). But I would like to pump out about five rounds really quick (my aim isn't so hot - so I need to compensate with multiple quick-shots).

yep. vibe or sp-1. Note that with their electronic trigger, the feel is excellent and very easy to get a burst off..

4. I move a lot, so I'd like a small lightweight marker. Those tricked-out Tippman A-5s with butt-stock, M-16 barrels, tripods, and stuff don't interest me at all. So I also don't care about mil-sim upgrades too much. A Red Dot sight is about the most I would consider (and not for a while anyway)

The red dot leans you towards the sp-1. I bought a 45degree rail to mount my red-dot on, to get it offset just a bit from the feed neck.

5. I can't afford HPA, and I don't know anywhere nearby that even fills them - so whatever I buy has to run well on CO2. This is non-negotiable. The marker has to run well on CO2 (keep in mind that I don't shoot too much, so freezing the internals is probably not so big a concern as it would be for some Broadsword player).

Vibe/SP-1 are excellent if your force to use co2. Much more consistent shooting than with the unregulated spyder.

6. I don't like remote lines. I tried it while using my friend's SP-1 and I didn't like that thing bouncing around on my butt while I tried to run for cover. I want my air on-gun.

7. I'm a young father, and I'm not made of money. I don't want to mess with anything over $200.00 (no Shockers and even upscale Ions are probably pushing it).

So - to summarize: I want an inexpensive, reliable, simple maintenance marker that is lightweight and runs well off CO2 on-gun.

After looking on Smart Parts' website, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Vibe (suggested retail price - $149.95)
SP-1 (suggested retail price - $174.95)
Ion (basic version) (suggested retail price - $164.95)

I like the mil-sim looks of the SP-1, but this isn't a big deal to me. As long as I can get it in all-black, I'm good.

Which of these markers is the best fit for what I'm looking for?

Personal preference, try the vibe and the sp-1 and see which one 'fits' you best. I run my sp-1 with a small drop forward, and a 70/4500 stubby tank which keeps me from being so stretched out. The basic ion is not as easy to maintain as the Vibe/SP-1, as it requires more dis-assembly to lube the bolt. I own 2 sp-1's, (I bought one for my son, since it works so well).

Work hard, play hard.. In that order.

#9 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

View PostKodiak, on Jul 13 2009, 08:40 PM, said:

SP a debatable company with questionable quality???? Not even close! My 2 1/2 year old Ion is still operating wonderfully w/ no issues. I suggest you purchase the Vibe. The Vibe is cheaper, operates on CO2 and is light same as the SP-1.

For your consideration

TechPB's Vibe Review

TechPB's SP-1 Review

Dude I was just kind of stating the obvious, Im sure at least half the people here on the forums will agree with me on Smart Parts.They messed with some great companies that could have had good potential and the Ion was definitely the low point of their marker production.

Its great that your Ion worked well for you but its a marker that is notorious for breaking often.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#10 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

Smart Parts debate aside, the SP-1 or Vibe both seem to handle co2 great so I think you'll be fine. I would personally take the SP-1; I think the Vibe is very cheap-looking, and the SP-1 just looks more co2 friendly (although I don't think there is any difference).

As for bps, I'm not sure about the SP-1/Vibe but you can usually cap the rate of fire yourself. Like, I shoot an 06 Cyborg, which can really rip, but I only play in the woods and have it capped at 8 bps which is what I can get on my mechanical Mag, but supposedly the Borg can do well over 20. Even if you don't shoot much, it's nice to be able to lay down paint when need be.

As for red dots... if your accuracy is low, you need two things:
-A better paint to barrel match
-More experience with your marker

Instead of a red dot, practice aiming down the side of the marker, sort of like a "point and shoot" deal. While you're still learning the ins and outs of the marker, use the first couple shots you take as a guide for any following shots. A red dot may help with your first shot accuracy, but at the end of the day, your skill can easily make up for not having a red dot, which saves you money. You will probably see better accuracy with the SP-1 or Vibe than your Spyder out of the box, mainly because Spyders are very poorly designed markers, and are pretty much self-destructive.

As for maintenance most electros are actually even more simple than a lot of mechs. I think the SP-1 can be maintained similarly to the A-5... you take that back plate off and slide the internals out. I'm not sure how the Vibe comes apart, but I know they didn't start making bolt-out-the-back Ions until a few months ago or something like that, so any Ion you buy that isn't bolt out the back will be a pain in the butt to maintain since you'll have to pull the whole thing apart.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 16 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#11 User is offline   deltapaintball 

• Josh Foote
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:deltapaintball

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

View Postsipbgod94, on Jul 14 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

Dude I was just kind of stating the obvious, Im sure at least half the people here on the forums will agree with me on Smart Parts.They messed with some great companies that could have had good potential and the Ion was definitely the low point of their marker production.

Its great that your Ion worked well for you but its a marker that is notorious for breaking often.

Were you? You were stating your opinion, not the obvious. Most of the people here on the forum that hate Smart Parts because it's "cool" to do so. They were a smart business, in all business it's eat or be eaten. God forbid if they protected the company.

Now as far as your comments about the Ion being: "the low point of their marker production" and it being a "marker that is notorious for breaking often", I will state this. The Ion made electro markers affordable for everyone, now anyone can play on the same level as a experienced player and not be outgunned simply because they are a renter. Your comment about the marker is notorious for breaking often, from a tech's point of view, it is 9 outta 10 times user error and not the marker.

When people put aftermarket stuff on their marker, or try to mess with the settings without reading up on it first, of course they are going to alter the markers performance.
Coming soon.

#12 User is offline   naughty_dogs 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

I was just reading up on this a few nights ago. I have a wally world special pb gun brass eagle Cybrid. Im looking to get a better marker for a main gun and use my cybrid as a back up or vice versa. I would go with the SP Vibe, i was on pbreview and was reading some great reviews on the vibe, you just have to upgrade the board to a blackheart board which makes the Vibe a lil more expencive. But other than that i was reading that it was a great marker right outta the box. I would go with the Vibe! Thats what im going with after i fix my truck.
Wanted: Smart Parts Vibe!!

#13 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

this thread is 14 months old...i am sure he found his marker by now. Thanks though. :D
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#14 User is offline   naughty_dogs 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

this is true but its been a while since i have been on here. still thought i would put my two cents in lol!!
Wanted: Smart Parts Vibe!!

#15 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:30 AM

It's fine bro. Just thought it was funny. I have seen guys necro 3 year old posts to do the same thing....it's like that original poster had 3 posts back then, and hasn't been seen since 1 day after that post...i don't think he will see your answer today all these years later
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users