Special Ops Paintball: Smart Parts goes from reorganization to liquidation - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smart Parts goes from reorganization to liquidation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

Given the amount of time they've spent in Chapter 11 Reorganization, this really doesn't come as a surprise.

http://68caliber.com/?p=8397

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:10 AM

i'll admit it, i LOL'd. I feel bad for the employees, not for the owners though...not in the slightest...they get what they deserve. I do hope the employees can find work in this tough economy though. Happy days are here again. The only question is who owns the patents. Who controls that part of the deal? The Garderners still? or are they up for sale? If they are up for sale.... XD We might have a chance at seeing AKA back in the business of markers again. XD I would have a reason to own an electro again. Evil M here we come. XD
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:48 AM

I am split. It's sad that such a large player in the game has had to fold. I have spewed Smart Parts hate up until recently, when someone (Might have been Deltapaintball) said something that made me think. I never hated Smart Parts. Just like how I never actually hated WGP (I hated K2, the company that owned them...). I hated some of the people behind it. The Gardners were the ones pushing the patents and trademarks that killed ICD and AKA (as well as one of my old teams biggest sponsorships from ICD).

Hopefully now they have to sell those off, and someone with some decency can buy them up. Someone who will say "Hey guys, I own the patents to these things, but in the spirit of advancing paintball and whatnot, I only request $1 per sale!" or something like that. Something that AKA can easily deal with so we can see sweet ass Vikings and Excals again. ICD is dead though. LONG LIVE INDIAN CREEK DESIGNS!

Also, maybe AGD can get back in to the game more. I dunno, that was more of Tom Kaye saying 'Let's chill with the Mags for a bit' than Smart Parts tyranny.

Blackheart Rum. It's what I've been drinking. And considering that Smart Parts had the Blackheart Board for the Ion (and others?), I now find it quite ironic.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#4 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

From the information that is available, SP had to put up the patents as collatoral as part of a 10mil loan they took out last year. Since they are now in Chapter 7 - those patents belong to the bank & will be sold off to pay any creditors.

#5 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

Well. If the above statement is true. . .
Who's down for everyone sending MOATI a few bucks so he can buy up these patents :{P (:D with a mustache!)

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

View PostPirate, on 29 July 2010 - 07:58 AM, said:

Who's down for everyone sending MOATI a few bucks so he can buy up these patents :{P (:D with a mustache!)

MOATI making markers....that'd be ironic. From soft goods only to making markers...that's quite a change.

But hey, no doubt it would be incredible.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   rockingijoe 

• TedIV
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

So not to be a glass half empty guy but how do we know AKA would even be interested in making markers again. I mean it would make my day but it seems unlikely. Please tell me otherwise because I will jump for joy.

#8 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Yup, I saw this one coming...
Any bets on who might try to buy the patents? GI Milsim - that would be funny. Kee Action Sports is big enought to pull it off...or maybe Tippmann - that would be REALLY funny.
Maybe I'll win the Lottery this week...hmmm.

#9 Guest_B-Dazl_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

View PostI.K.E., on 29 July 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

View PostPirate, on 29 July 2010 - 07:58 AM, said:

Who's down for everyone sending MOATI a few bucks so he can buy up these patents :{P (:tup: with a mustache!)

MOATI making markers....that'd be ironic. From soft goods only to making markers...that's quite a change.

But hey, no doubt it would be incredible.

As of this week... we are already officially doing more than just soft goods... Who knows what might happen ;)

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on 29 July 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

Any bets on who might try to buy the patents?

My guess is on Kee, unless the Gardner brothers figure a way out for GI milsim to pick them up like you said.
Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Good. It's about time. The gear, never had a problem with. The Gardners...They've been shady even before they got into paintball.

Too bad for the employees.

On the plus side I guess this puts an end to the "SP is/n't great" arguments. You can't argue about what doesn't exist.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#12 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

everyone who is 'not upset' or even [dare I say] "glad" that SP is now gone...be careful what you wish for.

Yes, the patents are now up for grabs but they are still enforceable for 5 more years. Does anyone really think that some paintball company is that philanthropic enough to buy them and then "open source" them? I think not...not when it cost the $ to acquire them in the first place...

And rumors are bounding on MCB/AO about KEE looking into Ion/Ion XE and SP1 gear/patents. Who knows what else....?.......which is why I said "be careful what you wish for"......

EDIT: I'm excited the Viking/Excal might come back but I'm even MORE excited that if Tom Kaye could pull it off, we could see a 2012 EMag revival :D

This post has been edited by druid: 29 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#13 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

Should be an interesting next few years in the paintball world because of this...
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#14 User is offline   Mehphisto 

• JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

Damnit. :(
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

ELITESPORTS OT
The only original OT team

#15 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

AKA has already said they will NEVER manufacture an E-Marker again (some kind of iron-clad legal agreement they signed with the Gardners), and before anyone says anything about the SP Chapter 7, these types of agreements are still enforceable regardless of the status of the original company.

And yes, whomever purchases the patents will probably go on an enforcement binge (expect plenty of letters and lawsuits) - so this could get ugly again.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users