• You cannot reply to this topic

Clearing buildings? Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#16 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Add bunker 'debris' to the hallway to make some kind of obstacle to give SOME cover.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#17 User is offline   Sieger 

• Those who adapt, survive...
  • Pip

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

Haha yeah, that would be nice. This situation is a great example of suicide. I was just wondering if anybody might have suggestions.

#18 User is offline   MotoSL 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

Clearing a room? Try eating Thai food before the game... or maybe chili.

#19 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• Fast Mover Tactical Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLC_Zone

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

View Postdruid, on Dec 6 2008, 06:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

The above graphic is backwards. You have the premise down but are just a hair off on the details. The first individual(yellow) that enters a room needs to take the path of least resistance. A 180% turn entering a room does not accomplish this. There are a couple of reasons for taking the path of least resistance aside from it just being quicker, 1)the first person needs to clear for all of the following teammates as he will be the only one with the element of surprise, and 2)he'll draw fire away from the door to allow the others to enter and clear the "fatal funnel". So in the above diagram yellow should continue on to the right, green left, and so on. 1st and 2nd players clear their corners and continue moving to their corner.

A second issue is the 3rd and 4th should not enter and walk into or towards the center of the room, as doing so would/could potentially put them in the firing lanes of the 1st and 2nd players from the corners. They should continue down the walls behind the 1st and 3rd player while keeping spacing. Also, if players 3 & 4 enter directly into a room, they will have little to no lateral movement from the opponents perspective. These are both common mistakes, but potentially deadly ones.

Each player has a zone to clear. The first 2 players to enter clear the front corners, while players 3 & 4 concetrate more on the center of the room.

Edit: Just a reminder, "play through the hit". What this means is that if you are entering a room in a stack, and get shot, don't stop! Call hit, raise your marker, but keep moving to your designated position and take a knee. Reason being that you don't want to create a jam in the "fatal funnel" or doorway and have the room clearing op subsequently be unsuccessful.

"Tape Drills" are an excellent way to practice. All you need is some tape and a basement/garage floor, or some rope, stakes and back yard. Basically just make the outline of a room with a door, on the floor and practice. Move the door around, not every room is the same. If you have ample room, and after you have worked one room, practice with multiple-adjoining rooms. Remember, slow is fast and fast is slow. Fast movement doesn't mean good shooting. Move quickly, but controlled. No Running!!!

Edit:
1 - Clear the Breach Point or "Fatal Funnel" - Get through the door, and like I said earlier, "play through the hit". If you stop in the middle because you are hit, you will slow your teammates and they will be hit also.

2 - Engage the immediate threat - Players must engage the immediate threat while they enter, but before they can clear their primary sector.

3 - Clear Primary Sector - First 2 through the door need to clear the corners they are moving to because they are they only ones who can since the subsequent plays can't shoot through them.

4 - Collapse Sectors of Fire - After you've cleared your primary sector, you may begin to clear towards the center of the room. However, keep in mind yours as well as your teammates fields of fire.

5 - Move to "Point of Domination" - As you are collapsing your field of fire, keep moving to your "point of domination", or your final destination in the room.

Below are some illustrations
Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 08 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

Z aka Zone
BlackLight Company Member
There's no charge for awesomeness!!!

#20 User is offline   Sieger 

• Those who adapt, survive...
  • Pip

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hmm, great point about not moving into the middle of the room BlackLight Z. And I can see exactly why the first man takes the quickest rout. Thank you for pointing that out. That way is definitely faster.

How would you guys proceed into a room after using a grenade. And what are the exact tactics of throwing the grenade into the room?

#21 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

oops.

Oh well....I can't be 100% perfect ALL the time....I whipped that up at a moment's notice at like 0330 hrs.....lol.

Anyway..that's about how you do it.

View PostSieger, on Dec 8 2008, 01:12 AM, said:

How would you guys proceed into a room after using a grenade. And what are the exact tactics of throwing the grenade into the room?

To uise a grenade, you have to determine where the grenade hits. It bounces and ricochets in the room. If approachng as in my drawings, the grenade going in the door will hit the right wall as you enter the room and bounce like a pool ball towards the center of the room and near the back wall. Anything hit by the paint is out but one thing you need to consider is cover inside that room. A desk or cubicle partition would sheild the players from paint and could still be in play (depending on your rules).

This post has been edited by druid: 07 December 2008 - 11:37 PM

Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#22 User is offline   AK TOTIN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:AK TOTIN

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

View PostSieger, on Dec 6 2008, 07:18 PM, said:

Well thank you for those explanations and the diagrams druid. :(

Does anybody have suggestions for getting through a long 40'+ hallway when the opposition is ahead of you and knows you are there? I know the obvious decision would be to take a different hallway, but what if thats not an option?

Should you stick with a two column + point and rear guard, or would it be better to get into one line so you at least have temporary cover from the pointman until he gets eliminated?

And once again, assume you can't use a paint grenade for whatever reason.

|............ | 40' |
|............ |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|X
|............ Approach this direction --->
|............ |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|X X
|............ | |

X's are oposing players
........... Are just spacers, I didn't know the BB code to ad spaces

This is what we learned in ROTC MOUT Training, put as much firepower on the end of that hallway as possible while having two people approach at an angle to each corner. In urban terrain the best idea is if your stuck throw as much stuff at them as possible, i.e. paint, grenades, rockets.
Insurgency, the best thing since waffles.

#23 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

View Postdruid, on Dec 7 2008, 11:33 PM, said:

View PostSieger, on Dec 8 2008, 01:12 AM, said:

To use a grenade, you have to determine where the grenade hits. It bounces and ricochets in the room. If approachng as in my drawings, the grenade going in the door will hit the right wall as you enter the room and bounce like a pool ball towards the center of the room and near the back wall. Anything hit by the paint is out but one thing you need to consider is cover inside that room. A desk or cubicle partition would sheild the players from paint and could still be in play (depending on your rules).

Pool ball is a great analogy. But, what I prefer to do is bounce the grenade off the ceiling(assuming there is one). Reason being if you are bouncing off a wall, the throw will carry only so far into a room and will focus the paint on that side of the room. But off the ceiling, you'll get better dispersion of paint since it will be much higher, and will hopefully hit more central to the room. However, each room is different, and the ceiling is not always an option.

Employment of the paint grenade is fairly simple. Lets use Druids schematic. The individuals in the stack do not throw the grenade. Their focus is on clearing the room. The Point Man(Red) has the responsibility of throwing the grenade. He will throw the grenade while simultaneously yelling grenade, not before, not after. Some will say you lose the element of the surprise when yelling, I argue that you actually increase it, because not everyone in the room will necessarily be looking at the door. So what usually happens when someone yells grenade? Everyone scatters and dives for cover right? This is what you'll us to your advantage. So, after the grenade is thrown in the room while yelling grenade, the 2nd man(green) will count to 2 immmediately signal the 1st man(yellow) to begin the assault by squeezing his arm.

Now, something I forgot to mention is how to silently coordinate when "the stack" is ready to enter the room. The 1st man(yellow) gives a thumbs up over his right shoulder. The 2nd man(green) grabs the 1st mans thumb to acknowledge. then the 2nd man does the same with the 3rd and so on. then when the last man is ready to go he squeezes the right arm of the man infront of him, and continue this all the way back up to the second man. The second man is in charge, so he waits until the grenade is thrown + 2 count, or when he is ready to squeeze the first mans arm signaling the first man to enter and clear. is that clear as mud?

Hope this was helpful

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 08 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

Z aka Zone

#24 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

Nice jobs guys, I've learned quite a bit. I have something to add to the 40 foot hallway scenario, if I missed it and am just repeating someone elses' idea, please let me know.

It seems to me that keeping Druids formation it the diagram would make sense with 2 changes, pointman moves to the the front of one stack while tail end charlie moves the the rear of the other one. Now you have two columns, so theoretically only 2 people are in danger of getting hit while the stacks can aim over each others shoulder and bring 4 or even 6 markers into play to supress either end of the hallway. If a doorway is encountered, it only takes about 2 steps and half a second to reform Druids room clearing formation.
Attached File  HALLWAY1.JPG (7.73K)
Number of downloads: 0

Once at the end of the hallway (if hallway ends in a T), AK TOTIN comes in :

"This is what we learned in ROTC MOUT Training, put as much firepower on the end of that hallway as possible while having two people approach at an angle to each corner. In urban terrain the best idea is if your stuck throw as much stuff at them as possible, i.e. paint, grenades, rockets."
Attached File  HALLWAY2.JPG (10.96K)
Number of downloads: 2

Otherwise, if hallway ends in an "L", one stack stops at the inside corner and uses it as cover while the opposite stack moves out and around the corner, keeping to the outside to maximize their effective angle. As the pointman for the moving stack visually clears the hallway, he can yell "CLEAR" as a signal for the first stack, still waiting at the corner, to come around or "COVER" if the enemy is present.
Attached File  HALLWAY3.JPG (13.43K)
Number of downloads: 3

Please forgive my horrendous Paint diagrams, I'm on my laptop with only a touchpad. No mouse. :laugh:

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

Wow, this has become one of the best threads I've seen on here in a long time.

Something that has not been mentioned here is a technique called the high/low and is used for what is known as a "danger cross". This techniqe is used when cornering, i.e. passing between buildings, crossing alleys, or just turning a corner. 1st the lead man crouches down onto a knee near the corner. Then he used whatever cornering technique, either, snapping, popping, or using the pie cutter to turn that corner low. The 2nd man then stands behind the 1st and corners high. This can be down simultaneously or one after the other. I recommend either simultaneously or having the 1st man go low, followed by the 2nd high. This is best because in most urban situations individuals focus at eye level so someone low may go unnoticed. The advantage to simultaneous is that there will be twice the firepower cornering. A good technique is that the second man squeeze the arm or nudge the player infront of him to give thr go signal, just like when in the stack and preparing to clear a room.
Video below of how to execute the high/low.
High/Low Technique

Video below of "pie cutter" technique, which is great for L shaped hallways, and turning corners. Notice how the 1st man takes a kne and covers in the direction of travel, and how the second man clears the corner step by step, piece by piece. Hence the name.
Pie Cutter Technique

Below is a diagram of how to cross a hallway as a team(moving left to right). Can also be used between buildings, alleys, and streets. The first 2 men(Red & Yellow) use the high/low technique above. Then, if the hallway is clear or "secured", players 3 & 4(green & blue) move to the other side of the hallway and establish a highlow on the other side. Then player 1 & 2 cross and resume positions in 1st and 2nd position. Important note: When crossing 1stplayer should keep markers pointed down hallway in direction of travel and second player should point marker down hallway that is being crossed.
Posted Image

Video below of similar move, just 1 & 2 take slightly different action than I described above
Danger Cross Technique

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 08 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

Z aka Zone

#26 User is offline   Iron Eagle 

• Emotionally Exhausted & Morally Bankrupt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Angry Badger

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

In this case, grenades and storming the room are your friends. Grenades would be easiest, storming would be a little more difficult, but more fun. Line up in front of the door, run in, and shoot.
Ambassador of intelligence, deliverer of logic, mirror to the obvious

#27 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

View PostIron Eagle, on Dec 8 2008, 03:40 PM, said:

In this case, grenades and storming the room are your friends. Grenades would be easiest, storming would be a little more difficult, but more fun. Line up in front of the door, run in, and shoot.

Why not both???

View PostBlackLight Z, on Dec 8 2008, 10:56 AM, said:

Employment of the paint grenade is fairly simple. Lets use Druids schematic. The individuals in the stack do not throw the grenade. Their focus is on clearing the room. The Point Man(Red) has the responsibility of throwing the grenade. He will throw the grenade while simultaneously yelling grenade, not before, not after. Some will say you lose the element of the surprise when yelling, I argue that you actually increase it, because not everyone in the room will necessarily be looking at the door. So what usually happens when someone yells grenade? Everyone scatters and dives for cover right? This is what you'll us to your advantage. So, after the grenade is thrown in the room while yelling grenade, the 2nd man(green) will count to 2 immmediately signal the 1st man(yellow) to begin the assault by squeezing his arm.

Edit
also edited my first post in this thread. Just expanded the explanation

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 08 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

Z aka Zone

#28 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

This is a great thread, anyone else have anything?

Edit: one more thought... you always have to prepare for the unexpected. Before entering a room, it is likely that you have no idea of what is on the other side of a door. In the real world, there are couches, end tables, coffee tables, lamps, TVs, and all the nooks these create. In a paintball environment, it is likely that there will be bunkers in place. Learn to adapt to the unknown with training, and repetition, as nothing beats experience

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 15 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

Z aka Zone

#29 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

View PostBlackLight Z, on Dec 14 2008, 09:56 PM, said:

This is a great thread, anyone else have anything?

Yea, prepare for welts. I've never had a day of CQB without getting lit up, a lot. It's close, and most of the time when you see the enemy it's a SURPRISE!!! and everyone fires as a reaction. Might want to wear some extra padding, and try not to light anyone up to bad. It's fast, intense, and confusing and it's really easy to overshoot. Also, if you are a victim of bonus ballin, try to just let it go. It happens, and it happens all the more frequently in CQB. When you have 4 people storming a room, and they're all shooting at you, and your all shooting back at them, it only takes about 3 seconds for the whole thing to be over and in that time any or all of you could be out. And anyone who gets out will probably have numerous hits. Prepare for it, deal with it, and get over it. :)

Happy hunting,
Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

This post will be focus on communication in Close Quarters Battle (CQB).

So obviously, communication is always paramount in a team sport, but it becomes particularly important because of the speed, ferocity, and proximity of CQB. Not calling out enemies, or not "calling the hit" can have disastrous consequences since you are in a confined space with multiple targets. Not knowing the status of your teammates and their responsibilities will result in a failed engagement, and ultimately not taking the objective.

Communication Rules for CQB:
1)Verbalize the Threat - Verbalizing where an enemy is in a room while entering can not only provide vital information to teammates not yet in the room, but when done properly, that is to say very loudly, can have a "shock and awe" effect and intimidate opposition into cover, or just plain old get them rattled. When verbalizing, "keep it simple stupid" (K.I.S.S.). That is to say, no more than 2-3 words. Just shouting a position on a clock face is sufficient. Remember, your primary purpose is to let your teammates know your status so be very loud since you’ll have to overcome the noise generated by multiple markers, and individuals yelling.

2)Call the Exotic - When using exotics such as grenades, grenade launchers, or even rocket launchers to kick off a dynamic entry, yell as you simultaneously deploy your weapon of choice. This accomplishes 2 things; 1) it lets any and all teammates know that you are using an exotic, and 2) it also can have a "hock and awe" effect and intimidate opposition into cover, or make them scatter and abandon cover altogether. Both keep them from firing on the doorway and prohibiting your team from clearing the fatal funnel.

3)Call the Hit - "Calling the hit" is overlooked 90% of the time. What happens when you get hit in CQB, and don’t let your teammates know? Commonly what happens is that your teammates who entered behind you may think your zone is clear, when in fact you’ve been shot by an opponent who may now have them flanked with the element of surprise. This technique goes hand & hand with "playing through the hit".

4)Clear the Zone - Once your zone is clear, loudly shot your name, followed by clear. This lets your teammates know your zone is clear, so they, along with you can focus on other areas within the room that may still contain opposing players. This is synonymous with verbalizing the threat, except now you are letting your teammates know your zone is no longer a threat.

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 15 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Z aka Zone

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users