ACU Vs Multicam in Woods

#16 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

View PostYoung (ODA-271), on Oct 26 2007, 07:43 PM, said:

I was a huge fan of MARPAT forever! I initially hated it when they first made us switch our cammies. I was one of those "wait till the last minute" guys in changing cammies when the order came down from the battalion commander. I just didn't see the point. They eventually grew on me though and I liked them more and more.

Now I tend to like ACU. Although I disagree with the concept of a "one size fits all cammie" (meaning one pattern for all environments)... the pattern is actually decent regardless of lighting.

Never used Multicam... so I can't attest to its' pro's or con's. But the pattern you displayed doesn't look the same as some of the photos I've seen (yours seems darker). Like this:

Part of what makes MultiCam so effective is that it has blending between many of the different shades of colours, and is generally light enough so that it reflects the overall colour of its environment. So if taken in good lighting on a white background, it will look very light brown. Taken under a late afternoon sun in the red desert, and surprise, it looks orange/red :dodgy:. Pictures: here.

-Z3R0

This post has been edited by Z3R0: 11 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#17 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

Multicam is awsome. Around here it blends into 80% of the year (everything but spring). Dosen't matter because my allergies keep me from playing anyway.

#18 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

Not multicam but more ACU in the woods: (linked pictures are from Hellion's team gallery)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://web.mac.com/lonniedcolson/2007Seaso...Big_Game.html#2
http://web.mac.com/lonniedcolson/2007Seaso...grad_III.html#9
http://web.mac.com/lonniedcolson/2007Seaso..._The_Nam.html#5
http://web.mac.com/lonniedcolson/2007Seaso...a_D-Day.html#13

Posted Image

This post has been edited by SubMiler: 12 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

#19 User is offline   SNIPADUDE99 

• Stealin a pcinic baskets
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SNIPADUDE99

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

View PostXziviT, on Nov 11 2007, 03:00 PM, said:

Multicam looks like it has better performance in the woods than the ACU but ACU is nice for urban and u can also use it to hide in ur house so ur mom cant make u eat vegetables

-X

ACU is couch camo
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

#20 User is offline   Thricearch 

• Live Free or DIE
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Thricearch

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

go to walmart..buy the winchester camo series..heavy duty overalls and reversible track jacket will cost you 30$..best camo i've seen

#21 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:left handed

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

I, for one, actually see the reason in the Army using ACU. It's designed to work dirty. When you first get any kind of camo jacket/pants, the colors are still bright. (I own a set of MARPATs just FYI) After some use the colors take on the natural surroundings. They take the color of the dirt, sand, vegetation, anything that'll make your BDUs dirty. Since most of the time, soldiers don't get to washing their BDUs in a while, the ACU pattern is like a clean canvas waiting to be painted by nature.

That's exactly what happened with my MARPATs. The whites were too white, and the blacks were too black. Around 1/2 way through the day, everything I was wearing was covered in a thin layer of mud. (It rained the day before) That night when I my BDUs came out of the wash (little/no detergent) the blacks faded, the brown discolored the white and everything looked out of order. I was scared for my investment and I wished I hadn't washed them. But a few weekends later, it was completely dry out and I was wearing my MARPATs and surprisingly I blended in well. I was able to provide a flanking force for my team and we won a few games.

So, keep in mind, BDUs aren't supposed to blend in perfectly when they're clean, they need to be roughed up a bit, unless your MultiCam. :ninja:
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#22 User is offline   senses fail 

• US Army Tanker
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SensesFailx13xx

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

my team chose to go with acus cause we play at battlefront paintball wich is grassy fields, thick woods and an urban setting all in one field. best field ive seen by the way.

i like the ACUs but i think MARPAT is better.

#23 User is offline   jake9095 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

Multicam FTW

#24 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rathje

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Well, this is probably necroposting. But things are so low-traffic around here I imagine it doesn't matter much.

Any camouflage can work well if you keep a good awareness for terrain that matches your color, and make sure to stay in it (like not picking a bunch of gray rocks for your hide while wearing CADPAT or something).

I play in Colorado, mostly on National Forest land up in the mountains. My observations:

Most of the effective playing season, there's actually a lot of green in Colorado mountains. This makes MARPAT my number one pick - or German Flecktarn. It blends in well with the pine trees, tall grass, pine needles on the ground, and tree trunks. In the forest, I'd go with MARPAT, Flecktarn, or SURPAT (a new Russian military camo). Special Ops Digi seems to work out fine too, but it's a bit too green to be my number one pick out here.

ACU works as an all-purpose camouflage in Colorado. But it's not the best stuff available. It blends best actually when there are no leaves and greenery - like in late Fall, early Spring, or... Winter, actually. ACU makes surprisingly good winter camouflage.

Multicam works better than ACU as an all-purpose camouflage I think (except in winter). Especially in more desert-like environments. But it still sticks out a bit much in small pine or aspen thickets. When there's a lot of greenery, Multicam still sticks out. For that reason, I prefer MARPAT over it, for my purposes.

The old Woodland camo stuff is decent enough, but I think I'd take any of the options I've mentioned above first.

#25 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

I would say what you've done Rathje isn't necroposting as you've made some informed comments based on your experiences & added to the conversation. As for jake above you, :rolleyes:.

I'm not particularly obsessed w/ camo. I realize it works if the person wearing knows what they are doing - part of that is the use of movement. I'm in a part of my paintball life now where I'm more aggressive than I've been at other times, so camo only works so well for my style of play. I spend a majority of my time on the move & camo's effectiveness is greatly diminished because of that. I am an older guy so I still take the time to slow down, wait & have no problem stopping to defend a position to allow my camo to work.

That being said, I'm a huge Multicam fan & have been since '07 because of how well it works where I play (at least when I'm not moving, lol). The field has a large array of terrain - deep woods, grass, live & dead underbrush, dirt mounds, urban buildings - the MC transfers very well between all those locations. There may be a better specific pattern for each of those settings but obviously no one is changing clothes as they move thru the field. I happen to play at Battlefront Paintball as well as Chappy350 & his group... many of them wear MC for the same reasons. Of course a few of his younger guys don't wear any camo, they are running around too much for camo to ever make a difference.

My cousin & I on the left & right, one of Chappy's guys, Roc, in between us... in the foreground on the far right is another of Chappy's guys, Sparty (he's obviously one who doesn't worry about camo :D).
Posted Image
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#26 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Another thing to consider is how dirty are you cammies? Every single camo pattern I've ever seen works better with the local colors from the dirt. This sounds like a no-brainer, but I keep on seeing guys post photos of their year-old, yet still immaculately clean "loadouts."

Of course, you shouldn't try to fade your cammies artificially. Many patterns rely on a certain amount color variation to work. And you shouldn't NEVER wash your cammies. Not just for the sake of the man sharing the bunker with you, but because the salt from your sweat and the dirt weaves its way into the fibers of your gear and work as little blades that wear holes through your gear.

So I guess I'm saying if you want the most out of your $90 set of Multicams or whatever, let 'em get dirty, but still wash them occasionally.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#27 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:30 AM

I'm not a big fan of the newer stuff. I've always been a die hard woodland camo guy, but I do like some of the nice features on the modern uniforms...pockets, velcro, zippers, patch panels, etc, etc. I currenty wear TRU-SPEC TDU's...they have the old school colors, with all the new stuff built into them.

One of my favorite patterns is DPM from the UK. You don't see it as much in the states, so it makes you stand out a bit. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not...lol

This post has been edited by Animal Mother: 08 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

#28 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

View PostMaDuce, on 07 February 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

Every single camo pattern I've ever seen works better with the local colors from the dirt.

Truth. I wash my pants after every day of play (or every other at the least) & let hang dry. But the colors are a bit faded & worn & the dirt is still ground in, my pants & vest look great right now. I've started looking for new pants w/ more features as mine are basic BDU cut from Tru-Spec, but am hesitant because of how clean they'll look compared to my vest & mask :D.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#29 User is offline   Nico898 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

i agree with all the members in favor of multicam, because theres 8 different colours on that pattern, and each colour has its own environment to blend in with. Theres a reason the US Army switched from ACU to MULTICAM. Its an all around camo, goes with pretty much any environment except like snowy environment. :D

#30 User is offline   Nico898 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

View Postredarmy27, on 25 October 2007 - 07:24 PM, said:

Nice post. I'm kind of torn between the two. Not sure which I like better.

Well the Multicam is way more expensive then ACU, and the ACU is more for urban envorinment, not for woods.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users