• You cannot reply to this topic

Bullpup Tippmann X7 Project Yes, I said Bullpup Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

Okay guys, I must confess something. Ever since the KelTec RFB assault rifle came out, I've been obsessed with the bullpup design. I love how you can have the same barrel length and accuracy in a much smaller, lighter, better balanced package. Anyways, one day as I was reassembling my baby after her regular maintainance, I realized something. It wouldn't be terribly hard to make my baby into a bullpup... So I sat down with a pencil and a straight egde and began to design what I think is a very impressive looking "shell" of a frame for her. And then I realized, it will be easy to BUILD it... if I can somehow gain access to the right equipment, or the right person who has said equipment and knows how to do it. The hard part is the design. I've got the minimal basics so far, but the hard part is gonna be figuring out exactly how to make everything go together so that it actually works smoothly and efficiently, and doesn't just look pretty. So, consider this my foundation, if you can make any sense of it. I'll be posting up pictures of my progress for opinions and advice. And I'll also be posting up any roadblocks I encounter and ask for help if I need to. Until then, I'll ask: What do you guys think about the idea? Has anyone ever tried to bullpup mod anything, and did it work? What problems did you face, and if they could be resolved, how did you resolve them? Thanks guys, you're the best. :)

#2 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

There's at least one bullpup mod out there for the A5... I believe it was called the B5. Pretty cool that you're making your own though!
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, I've decided to do it up right. I'm gonna be making a completely new reciever for it. Nothing else will live up to my high standards. Right now, I'm thinking aircraft grade aluminum with a duracoat finish.

#4 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

That sounds awesome! The B5 was just a plastic shell over the gun :|

Post up those pics!

This post has been edited by Shipwreck!: 18 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

So far, all I have is the tracing that I did around the stock reciever and modified into my base design. I'll put this up as soon as I can.

#6 User is offline   Chill_balla 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

Do you want the magazine to be functional? or just aesthetic? I'm assuming you want it functional, since just doing it to make it look cool doesn't sound too hard.
Posted Image

Proud owner of a VSC phantom and an Invert Mini

#7 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

Kalibur you should put it up sooner.

I don't think he necessarily means bullpup as in just looking like there's a magazine behind the trigger. I'm pretty sure he means that the firing chamber (wether mag or hopper fed) will be behind the trigger.

As far as replacing the actuall clam shell: DUDE that is some SERIOUS business! You're going to need an industrial lathe! BEST OF LUCK!!!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

This could be cool...or tragic. I'm hoping for cool.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#9 User is offline   Chill_balla 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

cool would be preferable.
Posted Image

Proud owner of a VSC phantom and an Invert Mini

#10 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

Either way, it will be an excellent learning experience. Let me see if I can get one of those pics up...

#11 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Posted Image

Okay: If you can understand it at all, this is my first sketch of what I'm going to call "Imperialis Model BX36/E (Bullpup, X7, G36, Electronic Sear)." As you can see primarily, I have moved the trigger to the front, and have relocated the mag well. Current planned modifications are as follows:

The mag well has been pushed back a few inches, and it will be functional. This will be a battery pack for the E-Trigger. It will house two nine volt batteries, and have a constant-on two-way selector switch. In other words, battery goes low, flip a switch and don't worry about having to turn it back on.

As you will notice, a custom shell will take up the place of the original grip, and will house the E-Trigger and the sear. Behind this will be a rubber butt plate.

The stock Weaver rails have been removed. There will be no need for them in their current location.

The grip frame has been moved in front of the reciever, thus being the main attention point of the "bullpup" design. This will be a sliding trigger, as opposed to the standard rocking trigger.

The reciever will be lowered a quarter inch to accomodate for the push rod that will run from the trigger to the electronic sear.

I'm making these plans based on the G36 kit that I have installed, hence the similarity. The foregrip remains vastly unchanged, save for a cutout to fit the grip, and Weaver rails on top to accomodate for the modified riser, which is basically just a shortened version of Tippmann's carry handle. This modified riser will accomodate my BSA RedDot sight.

As you can see, this is just the first draw-up, and there is still much planning to be done before I can start working on it. What do you guys think?

This post has been edited by Ka1iBuR: 22 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

#12 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

And I've decided to make a prototype or two out of sheet metal and aluminum pipe before I spend all that money on something that may go wrong. :P

#13 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

View PostKa1iBuR, on 22 August 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

And I've decided to make a prototype or two out of sheet metal and aluminum pipe before I spend all that money on something that may go wrong. :P

Some parts you can make out of fiberglass. Its actually not that difficult. Some Styrofoam, fiberglass fabric, and then the epoxy. I made a foregrip for my rifle using this process. Instructions can be widely found on the internet. Model Airplane builders do it all the time. I highly recommend it because it is pretty easy, strong, and lightweight. Also very paintable and durable. Can make complex shapes.... Think about it.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#14 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

That's actually what I'm looking at right now for making my modified forgrip with.

But anyway, here are the updates so far:

The push rod is going to be threaded and screwed into both front and rear triggers. It will have two pieces held together with a spring clip for easy, rapid disassembly. One of these pieces will have a tensioner that can be turned to fine-tune the amount of slack.

I am also considering annodizing as a possible alternative to the duracoat finish on the reciever. Duracoat is very expensive, and a friend of mine who works at an anno shop said he could probably do it for free; the only problem is that I may have to wait up to three months until he's annodizing similar parts. The only problem herin is that I know next to nothing about anno's. If anyone has any information about the finish or the process, please share.

I've decided to put optional rails on the bottom of the foregrip. The foreward lower portion of the foregrip will be removable, to accomodate for an identical portion, except with a Weaver rail to accomodate a vertical foregrip.

I'm considering integrating a camera flash into the front of the foregrip for night play. It's very iffy right now, so I need opinions and thoughts on this!

Well, that's all I have so far; don't wanna break out the ol' workbench until I've done as much as I can with the designs. Let me know what you guys think! B)

#15 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Anno wont work on stainless steel, if thats what the X7 is. Powdercoating would be your other option.
2 Samuel 22

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users