• You cannot reply to this topic

Leaving Tanks Filled Bad? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   epl 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:EPL

Post icon  Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

I was wondering if leaving air tanks of co2 tanks filled over a long period of time is bad. When I go to the fields to play. I usually fill my tanks to full before leaving the field just incase I want to play out in the woods. But sometimes its about 1.2 or 3 months before I play again. I was just wondering if its bad for the tanks?

#2 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

the air will leak out slowly over a long period of time(not really noticeable) but it wont be a problem.

#3 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

hmmm....theyre designed to hold gas....and thats exactly what theyre doing in your gear bag.....ive had tanks filled for months and have had no ill effects.....hell 12 grams are filled for months even years and theres never a problem with them.......

...but like said before, if you leave them they will eventually leak air......may take a really long time but they will

so short answer is, no, leaving tanks filled will not cause a problem......just make sure you keep them stored in a cool dry place.....like a garage or in your gear bag.

#4 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

Just to add an interesting story to the truth that air can be stored for a long time:

I got home form overseas just before Christmas, and while I was cleaning out a storage unit, I found some old gear that had been in a box for a long time, I'd estimate about 8 years. There was a full 20oz Co2 tank included in the mix, and I decided to weigh it vs. a recently filled one, and found them to be within 2 ounces of each other. Feeling bold, I decided to screw on the tank to one of my old Tippman markers, and it worked like a charm.

So yeah, air may leak out really slowly, but as long as the tank is stored safely, you should have no problems.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#5 User is offline   MIR Sniper 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

Time is safe, it's just your tank you should worry about. Be safe, make sure it's within its "hydro" and hold it underwater to check for leaks. If it's safe enough to use, it's safe enough to sit. I can't stress how often you should check your tanks though. A bottle filled with unstable (flucuates drastically with temperature) gas...You can't ever be too safe.

#6 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

With CO2 tanks it's OK to have them charged past the hydro date as long as they were charged before the date.

#7 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

View PostMIR Sniper, on Jan 24 2009, 11:16 PM, said:

Time is safe, it's just your tank you should worry about. Be safe, make sure it's within its "hydro" and hold it underwater to check for leaks. If it's safe enough to use, it's safe enough to sit. I can't stress how often you should check your tanks though. A bottle filled with unstable (flucuates drastically with temperature) gas...You can't ever be too safe.

That's why there are burst disks. My friend had one of his pop when his tank was in his gearbag in the back of his truck on a warm sunny day, it was just a loud POP and then a whoosh of gas.

But safety is the number one rule of paintball. Don't jack around with 800, 3000, or 4500 PSI. You can and will be killed by a tank rocket.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#8 User is offline   MIR Sniper 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

View Postthisissparta, on Jan 25 2009, 02:21 AM, said:

That's why there are burst disks. My friend had one of his pop when his tank was in his gearbag in the back of his truck on a warm sunny day, it was just a loud POP and then a whoosh of gas.

You can't always rely on saftey precautions taken by the manufacturer. YOU are the number one contributer to safety. I guess my whole point is, just be safe. Leaving your tanks sit isn't bad at all, just keep them in a stable enviroment and make sure they're within their hydro.

This post has been edited by MIR Sniper: 25 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users