Special Ops Paintball: Equalizer Paintball's FIRESTORM CRANK - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Equalizer Paintball's FIRESTORM CRANK

#1 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:SHADOANGEL

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:58 AM

First, a little background. I've been playing with my 98 Custom for a bit over 2 years now. I played several woodsball games for years before, but it really picked up after I got my own marker. I became obsessed with this sport [as have most of you here. ^_^] and began researching like a madman. Learned tons of stuff. Which things to buy. Which things to avoid.

As I grow older my style of play has changed. I used to be a pretty decent sniper. Loved to sneak, hide, set the ambush, run the flank that they never saw coming. I used to love sitting in the woods 70 feet out listening to them say, "Where's Andrew?" "OMG, I think I saw something!" *points wrong way*

However, I began playing more and more aggressively to where I am now. I still enjoy the being hidden and flanking and setting ambushes, but now I like to play hardball. Stay hidden better, flank faster, and when the ambush gets sprung, I need to shoot faster than my 7-8 BPS on my trigger finger.

After research and spotting a marvelous deal [God bless friends and E-Bay - I picked mine up for $20+ shipping] I bought a Firestorm Crank.

Installation

Installation is a breeze. It attaches on to your trigger guard, using two screws to hold it tight. The only con I can really think of is that those screws "bite" into the bottom of the guard. However, you can pad it using a few layers of cloth/tissue if you want to preserve your trigger guard. I don't give a flip for scuff marks on the bottom of my dinky plastic trigger guard, so it's not really a big deal to me.

Equalizer Paintball recommends you remove the Firestorm Crank after games to keep the Crank and the trigger guard from warping. Installing it each time you want to use it is a minor hassle. Not much different from loading your pods, hopper, screwing in the air tank, etc.

Operation

Every quarter of a turn, the firestorm crank sends a small plastic piece out, which pushes on the trigger. Every full turn pushes the trigger 4 times. When holding the gun sideways on my lap, I can almost crank 5 times in a second. That's 20bps. Now, obviously, I can't do that in a game, nor would I want to. I can easily pull of the the 3 cranks required for 12BPS and if I need to, I can crank faster getting up to 15-17BPS.

Accuracy decreases the faster you crank. This has little to do with the Crank, as it does with the user. You just, naturally, can not both keep the marker steady, and move your hand or arm that fast.

You also can still use the trigger normally - pulling with your finger. It's not 100% comfy, but after playing with it a few games, I've noticed that it doesn't affect me at all. I simply slip my index finger tip into the little gap and fire normally.

Other Factors

The intimidation factor on this product is insane. You can tell someone "Hey look, I've got a response trigger [which, by the way, I can now outshoot] on my gun!" and point to the little silver stub at the back on the trigger, but really now, it's not that scary. RTs are everywhere. You can tell them, "OMG I have full auto!" - and you can even demonstrate it. It's still not as scary as this crank.

I just bust it out and put it on and it's instantly noticeable. "Woah, what's that?", they'll say. *Shado raises gun and fires off 8 or so balls* Most people melt. Even some of the more experienced players that are not usually scared of anything anyone brings shy away from the Crank. It's new, it's unheard of, and it majorly increases your cool factor.

I also find it extremely versatile. Since it's easy to put on and take off, if you want to change your style of play - or if the field your on decides they don't like it - you can just take a minute and uninstall. Viola!

If you wanted to have a bit of fun you could hide it in a pocket and make everyone think you have a normal 98, and then install on the field. It's very easy to put on.

Another helpful feature is that the "crank" part of the crank can be installed on either side of the "box". Lefties can crank with their left and righties with their right. It's all personal preference and is easy to change.

The last thing is - you will need a high-speed hopper. I borrowed a friend's revvy during my second game with the crank. I wanted to see if the revvy's 12 bps could keep up with it. It couldn't. In a light test shoot, I chopped the 6th or 7th ball. I cranked slowly during the game. ;)

I have since purchased a Ricochet Apache. Ran 200 balls through the marker without a problem. Cranking that thing at full speed and having the Apache feed the entire time, turning my backyard fence into a wall of white paint was something to behold. Very nice.

Pictures

Attached File  crank1.JPG (71.33K)
Number of downloads: 175
Attached File  crank2.JPG (33.96K)
Number of downloads: 135

Summary

This upgrade is fantastic. It looks great, it's cheap, and it takes you from 5BPS to 15 in a snap.

Pros
  • Dramatically increases rate of fire.
  • Looks good and intimidates.
  • Is easy to install/uninstall and switch from left to right sides.

Cons
  • You have to buy a fast hopper to keep up with it. And fast hoppers are usually expensive.
  • It scuffs/bites the bottom of the trigger guard.
  • Very minor risk of warping trigger guard if left on for a long period of time [think days/weeks]

Easily a 9 out of 10 for me.

ShadoAngel | My BST Feedback Thread

#2 User is offline   PB Ghost 

• I'm back!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PB_Ghost

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:22 AM

Good review!

if your still haveing choping problems you can do a few mod's to stop this.

One, get a Halo B it puts constant pressure on the paint, so you shouldnt chop,
two, porting the feedneck to reduce blowback http://model98.org/f...php?topic=799.0
three, more blowback resistance http://model98.org/f...php?topic=941.0

are you useing the crank with RT?
Become a Str8balla (#67)
Member #11 of invisible text club!
MASSIVE GEAR BAG SALE!

#3 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

very nice

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#4 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

You can use this with an Egrip too. You then can get an A5 from 4 balls per revolution to 8. If you position the crank at let's say, 2 o'clock, you can flick it fast and it will do the same thing but you don't have to turn it. Does that make sense?
My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You
My Profile Friend's List, who wants on?
"Calm you down? Done. Enjoy your vacation."- PuzumaClick the link

#5 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

I bought an Apache LED [they were on sale for 50 bucks at ActionVillage!] and I love Ricochet loaders. Thing feeds as fast I could need it to. :) I'll be writing a review on the Apache after I actually use it in-game.

PBGhost: I have not had any chops since putting the Apache on it. I shot about 200 rounds in my backyard. Smooth stuff, even cranking very fast. And I am not using a response trigger. I've had a few people ask what that would do, and I'm not quite sure what the effect would be.

JKLNHYD: I understand the E-Grip boosting it to 8 [Turn on the feature that fires both on pull and release of the trigger] but didn't quite get what you mean by flicking it and not turning.

Thanks for the comments guys.

#6 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

If you are looking at the crank handle, position it at 2 o'clock. Then, with your shooting finger, push it down just far enough to action the trigger and then release. If you just keep doing this, the mechanism that pushes the trigger will engage and disengage but the crank will just stay in the same position. Kind of bouncing the trigger.
My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You

#7 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Gotcha. Sounds a bit difficult to pull off though.

Have you done this yourself?

#8 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:38 AM

Yes, I have a crank. I think it will only do this maybe with the e grip, not with a regular mechanical trigger. It actually is not difficult at all. One draw back is I kinda have to be really careful not to touch the crank because sometimes it will fire when I don't want it to. I have gotten in the habit of putting the safety on when stalking. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
My New Homie List. PM me

#9 User is offline   PB Ghost 

• I'm back!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

Appache LED, those things are freaking LOUD!,

i was thinking about of writing a review on my LCD (oh yea im better than you!)

but i'll just pust my imput into your review.

Will the crank spin both ways or can you only turn it counter clockwize
Become a Str8balla (#67)
MASSIVE GEAR BAG SALE!

#10 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

Right handed turns clockwise, left handed turns counterclockwise.
My New Homie List. PM me

#11 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

From either side it always cranks forward from the top. More specifically, as JKLNHYD said, clockwise on the right side, and counterclockwise on the left.

Ghost: It really doesn't seem that loud to me. And honestly, it's only going to be running whenever I'm shooting. And when I'm shooting *BPS, a little hopper noise will barely be noticeable. ;)

I'd write that review now, or add your input to another Apache review. Mine won't be up for some time as I won't write it until I play again, and I'm not quite sure when that will be.

#12 User is offline   PB Ghost 

• I'm back!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

Well the LCD is much quieter compared to the LED.

I'll wait, but then agian one rainy day i might just put it up.

So it will only go clockwise right, so then you coudlnt do the thing where you twich it back and fourth?
Become a Str8balla (#67)
MASSIVE GEAR BAG SALE!

#13 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:47 PM

After each "click" [quarter turn] of the crank, it can not go backwards. However, if it does not click again, you can swing the crank freely, almost an entire quarter turn. The crank is allowed to swing from the previous click-point, to the new one and back to the old one. If you swing to far, the new point clicks [firing the marker], and it becomes the farthest point "back" that the crank can go.

If you set the crank up right, it's possible to fire the marker, without "clicking" the crank. The crank sends out it's little piece of plastic and pushes the trigger, but doesn't actually "click" - going out as far as it can. If you do it right, you can, theoretically, twitch the crank back and forth, sending the trigger back and forth as well.

Should you "click", your twitch point would be another quarter turn away. I'll have to experiment on my gun to see if this is possible for 98s. :-)

#14 User is offline   Scavies 

• DIY Extrordinaire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Valjean

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:50 PM

And if ur using an a-5 with cyclone this is truely all that in a bag of potato chips. Best part about it is that it's field legal. Someone starts whining and just show them that its 1 ball per trigger pull. So on fields, you are in a sense the hammer that likes to move.

And if ur using an a-5 with cyclone this is truely all that in a bag of potato chips. Best part about it is that it's field legal. Someone starts whining and just show them that its 1 ball per trigger pull. So on fields, you are in a sense the hammer that likes to move.
FREE stock picks and market analysis by a self-taught day trader!
TradersBase.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users