Special Ops Paintball: Position Names by Aincient Equivelant - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Position Names by Aincient Equivelant Fitting the Specops motif Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Flakk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Flakk

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

Id like to say that although they sound cool, the names for many of the postions don't fit the role of the player. the sabre, for exame isn't "slashing and stabbing" so much as perpetually poking the enemy until they make a mistake. sabre would be a better name for infantry firing from the troop bay of a light transport like a helicopter or horse (if you happed to be feeling a bit suicidal)

second of all, the bazooka user isn't so much a "javelin" so much as a pike/ halberd, a long pole tipped with a barbed axe used to stop mounted knights, the "tank" of the middle ages.

thirdly, an appropriate name for the grenadier would be "AXE" becuase it stikes a heavy blow that can kill a unit in defilade behind his shield, be it buckler or tree.

before you go and name your new position something like KATANA or GLAIVE, brush up on your military history and see how those weapons were actually used in a melee.

-end transmission

#2 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• :)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:|GEARHEAD|

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

the javelin was a sharp spear like weapon that was shorter and thrown(like a launcher shoots a rocket) a sabre was common to use among infantry(the sabre is the back bone of the team). the broadsword was a larger sword that dished out a beating(the broadsword lays suppressive fire). the dagger was used for close combat and was quick and manuverable(the dagger runs and flanks to get back door shots and flag runs) sniper doesnt fit and commander well, they're a commander. the hammer was a huge lethal weapon that took lots of strength to wield(like the DT and 15pods of paint takes a strong man/woman to carry around and dish out tons of rounds).

"in defilade behind his shield, be it buckler or tree." ummmm.....whats "in defilade"????

oh btw javelin was a name that came around from spec ops not me.....correct me if i'm wrong.

in my poll i was asking what fit the motif best not saying that glaive fits best or napalm or whatnot does, i'm asking everyone to pitch in so we can help spec ops choose.

oh umm if ur were to think of a medieval tank it would probably be a trebuchet or catapult because those launched projectiles, like tanks do....but thats just my opinion.
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre
Pump Player #113 My Feedback +27/-0

#3 User is offline   Flakk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

You are said to be in defilade when you are taking cover behind a hill or bunker to aviod line-of-sight, which is equililent to using a shield. A large axe seems to be the type of weapon that could bash through a shield, so it is linked to blowing your enemy out of cover with a grenade.

The term "sabre" refers to a type of curved sword used by cavalry in colonial and early industrial periods, and were used to slash and stab anyone that wasn't trampled to death. The curved slashing surface only made a difference because no one was wearing armor.
During the middle ages the standard hand weapons for infantry were pikes and halberds, which were cheaper and effective against the dicisive cavalry charge.

But i'll give specops this: sabre sounds a lot better than any word for "Spear" i can think of.

This post has been edited by Flakk: 29 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

#4 User is offline   The Judge 

• Deranged Bystander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:A-5 Assassin

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

the sabre, for exame isn't "slashing and stabbing" so much as perpetually poking the enemy until they make a mistake.

LOL!
That's the new Sabre motto. It's SO going in my signature.
TAW Paintball: The best Scenario ball in the west! / Join Pumpers of America

The Sabre isn't "slashing and stabbing" so much as perpetually poking the enemy until they make a mistake. - Flakk

Sling mud and argue for my entertainment

#5 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:47 PM

WTH is "defilade" and "equililent"! fix ur english man!

PS i dont think you actually perpetually poke an enemy. maybe poke at or stab would work better. no offense but ur grammar or typing skillz suck.
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre

#6 User is offline   caboose 

• Keeping the Communist paintball war machine alive!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:godswrath_666

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:58 PM

^^^is that a joke?^^^ lol just kidding i will agree with...hmmm lets see...flakk :P
~ A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him. ~

My blood flows green, I, am a dew drinker!

#7 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:58 AM

at least us hammers get to keep the "blunt force trauma" conotation.. muahahahahahaha. :unsure:
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#8 User is offline   foreverzero168 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SAMURAI OF OOPS

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

The katana is the most widely used weapon from japan. During the samurai era, it was a weapon so devestating in the right hands that most would just get out of the way. Cutting the path was a term devolped by Miyamato Musashi. I prefer this term because it just sounds cooler. I'm Samurai of OOPS, my marker is named the Muramusa.
"Making worlds safer through superior firepower!"
If there was a fire in your house and the first thing you would grab was your paintball gear, put this in your sig.

#9 User is offline   Flakk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

^^^And yet you name your position as broadsword.

I think the forums need a spellcheck: "equililent"= Equivilent or however you spell it in this most phonetic language of ours.

Definition of Defilade:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defilade

it means taking cover.

#10 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

ahh didn't realise its a word, just thought u misspelled something horrible. let me guess u used a thesaurus for that word or do you really use that word on a regular basis? trying to sound smart...good job i'd give ya an A for word choice.

#11 User is offline   WoodsSniper 

• R.I.P. Dime
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

Well Flakk, about the Javalin, if you knew about modern weaponry you would know that a modern day Javalin is a hand held rocket launcher. When modern weaponry comes on the History Channel don't touch that remote as the Gunny would say. :ghillie:
All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel. - Jimi Hendrix
Feedback: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=164293

My teams home field, take a look, especially if your from Mississippi
http://thomaspaintball.weebly.com/index.html

#12 User is offline   i only need one 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

http://www.army-tech...ojects/javelin/

sorry dude but i dont think they were going for medieval on that one

EDIT: didnt think what was here was apropriate

This post has been edited by i only need one: 02 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

#13 User is offline   Flakk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

When you find a guided missle for paintball, you can call it a javelin. untill then... ah screw it, using today's paintball rpg's is a lot like throwing a stick after all... just let the hampster run a little before you sugget your next position, im hungry now.

#14 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:34 PM

lol....nice, i'm also hungry and its pretty darn late where i live.

#15 User is offline   Broad-Sabre 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:N/A

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:12 AM

The Javelin makes perfect sense, as do all of the other positions' names.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users