Special Ops Paintball: First gun choice (Salem, MA) - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First gun choice (Salem, MA) i need help buying my first Paintball gun Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   KILLING-WITH-KARBINES 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:killing-with-karbines

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

:question: :question: :question: ok..... I just got interested in paintball. and I'm looking forward to buying my first gun. But my dilema is buying the right one for the first time . So what I am asking you, is to tell me which gun would be right for me. I'm going to be doing a bit of everything and if I had to compare it to a position it would be like a Medium Rifleman/Sabre.

#2 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Price range?

That would help get us started.

Edit: One more question that I have for you:

Have you played before? If so, what marker did you use and what are your thoughts on it?

This post has been edited by Woodbender: 25 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

#3 User is offline   KILLING-WITH-KARBINES 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

View PostWoodbender, on Jul 25 2008, 09:59 PM, said:

Price range?

That would help get us started.

less than $200

#4 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KWEIMATHA

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

Which ones have you played with already? Rentals? What's important to you? Weight? Rate of fire? Air source (CO2 or HPA)? Questions like this will help us help you. :dodgy:
Aloha, Doug
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.

#5 User is offline   KILLING-WITH-KARBINES 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:06 PM

View Postdougdeb, on Jul 25 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

Which ones have you played with already? Rentals? What's important to you? Weight? Rate of fire? Air source (CO2 or HPA)? Questions like this will help us help you. :dodgy:
Aloha, Doug

Reliability and accuracy would help. i haven't played with any rentals. and ill be going with CO2 for a while and then i may upgrade to HPA

#6 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

Are you any good at tinkering and fixing mechanical objects? If so, then I might suggest some options for used gear. I got most of my stuff used and ended up with some good stuff but that route did require me to do some tweaking to get things working perfectly. The plus side is that you will end up with an excellent marker for under $200. The downside is that you might have to put some work into the gun before using it.

Edit: Right now I am thinking about a used classic Automag or a new BT-4. There are many other options but those are the two that popped into my head at the moment.

This post has been edited by Woodbender: 25 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

#7 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

do yourself a huge favor.

Go out and rent 5 times after that write down what you like and hate about that rental marker
and then write down everything you like and hate about the sport.

Go out another five times ( ten total ) and write everything out again.
Compare them and then come back.

Im doing this for a reason. and you should know why without asking for an answer.

#8 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Is renting even an option? Meaning, do you intend to play at a commercial field or are you just getting together with some friends for games on private property?

Edit: I might add that renting ten times at $10.00 per outing will cost nearly as much as an inexpensive marker (and you can't sell a rental).

This post has been edited by Woodbender: 25 July 2008 - 07:21 PM

#9 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KWEIMATHA

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

View PostEskimo, on Jul 25 2008, 04:14 PM, said:

do yourself a huge favor.
Go out and rent 5 times after that write down what you like and hate about that rental marker
and then write down everything you like and hate about the sport.
Go out another five times ( ten total ) and write everything out again.
Compare them and then come back.
Im doing this for a reason. and you should know why without asking for an answer.

That has to be one of the more intelligent posts that I've read in a long time. And absolutely true. He has a great idea. It's always better that you have some idea of what you like and don't like about certain markers before you decide.
On this forum, you'll get all kinds of advice and recommendations. Some people swear by Tippmanns, others hate them. Some swear by AGD (Automags) and not many haters for those ;), there are Spyder fans, high end marker fans, and (my personal favorite) Pump marker fans.
If you want good advice, then we have to know what you like and don't like.
ALoha, Doug
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.

#10 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

For under $200 there's quite a few good options. Most every marker will just about as accurate as one another - even the high end markers. With fresh paint, a smooth barrel, and a consistent air source paintball markers all shoot pretty equal in terms of accuracy.

Trilogy Autocockers can be found for around $150. They get you out of the blowback valve systems found in Kingmann/Spyder and Tippmann markers. They also have a large market of after market parts that allows the marker to grow to suit your needs. However, they are more of a tinkerer's marker. The pneumatics on it require occasional timing and for someone not wanting a maintenance-free marker it would be a hassle.

If you can stretch your budget to $250 you can get a very nice new Classic Valved Automag or Minimag. With an integrated regulator, and solid stainless steel construction you get an extremely nice marker. It's blow forward design is also extremely reliable and maintenance free. They're made with very high quality materials and very durable - putting even modern Tippmann markers to shame. Its integrated regulator allows for very consistent velocities, and it's lower pressure blow forward valve system make them on the quiet side. They're also one of the easiest markers to take apart. If $250 is a little too much you can always find one used.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#11 User is offline   KILLING-WITH-KARBINES 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:33 PM

View PostWoodbender, on Jul 25 2008, 10:19 PM, said:

Is renting even an option? Meaning, do you intend to play at a commercial field or are you just getting together with some friends for games on private property?

Edit: I might add that renting ten times at $10.00 per outing will cost nearly as much as an inexpensive marker (and you can't sell a rental).

Actually me and my uncle were thinking about going somewhere in a couple weeks. and try out renting some tippmans.

#12 User is offline   Gernads 

• High Snow Lord, King of the Blow Lands
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gernads

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:52 PM

View PostKILLING-WITH-KARBINES, on Jul 25 2008, 07:33 PM, said:

Actually me and my uncle were thinking about going somewhere in a couple weeks. and try out renting some tippmans.

Good plan. Rent first, buy later. Take it from someone who made the mistake of never renting and going straight to the buying part.

#13 User is offline   KILLING-WITH-KARBINES 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Post icon  Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:20 AM

View PostGernads, on Jul 26 2008, 01:52 AM, said:

Good plan. Rent first, buy later. Take it from someone who made the mistake of never renting and going straight to the buying part.

Yea thats what I'm going to do, Rent a couple times. then I'll go out and by one.

View PostGernads, on Jul 26 2008, 01:52 AM, said:

Yea thats what I'm going to do, Rent a couple times. then I'll go out and by one.

#14 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

While you are at the field, talk to the experienced players and see if they will let you look at their markers or even try them in the practice range.

#15 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

eskimo is right but i would say less than that because if u go and go 5 times and dont like it y keep playing with possibly crap stuff for all the money u r dumping on that stuff it may be cheaper for u to actually get a cheap triad or spyder and go in the backyard learn the gun then go play with freinds and decide if u r gonna get serious i only go about 6 times a year so i wuldnt wait 2 years to buy my first gun
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users